Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Filter's Top 10 of 2009

Default Re: Filter's Top 10 of 2009

I agree with most of what you said, but my statement was directed at lists by people who should know what they are talking about if they are going to publish it in a paper or wherever. Not some person that just happens to make a personal list of some sort. I don't care what your list is, but if your list was in the Filter mag, I would hope it wasn't your best friends band or something like that. Here is a list of a known movie critic. Do you agree these 10 movies are the best of 2009? cr****

1) Let the Right One In, dir Tomas Alfredson
    2) 35 Shots of Rum, dir Claire Denis
    3) Antichrist, dir Lars von Trier
    4) The White Ribbon, dir Michael Haneke
    5) Tony Manero, dir Pablo Larrain
    6) sleep furiously, dir Gideon Koppel
    7) Il Divo, dir Paolo Sorrentino
    8) The Wrestler, dir Darren Aronofsky
    9) Adventureland, dir Greg Mottola
    10) The Hurt Locker, dir Kathryn Bigelow
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Well... besides the fact that several aren't 2009 films... I agree that most of those films are appropriate in a best film list. Several of them I vigorously agree with. Out of the 7 I've seen... At least 5 would be considered in my own list. The others I have a strong interest in seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Well... besides the fact that several aren't 2009 films... I agree that most of those films are appropriate in a best film list. Several of them I vigorously agree with. Out of the 7 I've seen... At least 5 would be considered in my own list. The others I have a strong interest in seeing.
    I didn't make the list so I was thinking if it was published, it was correct. Then going by what you posted, I'll just let this go except to say I can't wait till the 2009 movie thread is posted and to see 5 or more of these films on your top 10 (mind you not just that they were good, but the top ten of the year). BTW you would have had a bit more cred with me if you said Ron what you posted was lame in place of being lame because I am old. I guess that means you are better or smarter then about 70 percent of the world. Wow you must be proud. See ya...... cr****

My problem with what I have gotten from Cymbals Eat Guitars is that their influences are easy and worn on their sleeves. Song 1 sounds just like popular indie band A, songs 2 & 3 sounds just like popular indie band B, etc. I thus was amused - and now, being reminded of it all, am once again laughing like a child - by the fact that their list consisted of five easy, popular indie albums.

I am not laughing because those albums are bad. Two of those were in my top 12. I haven't heard the other three - by my choice - so I can't be sure how they are.

I am laughing because it shows lack of imagination. I am laughing because it suggests a superficial, shallow relationship with the scene. The reason I am laughing is because this all fits with my view of Cymbals Eat Guitars. I am not laughing because I think they're lying; I am laughing because I think they're telling the truth.

Caveats: I will listen to their album again in the lead up to their show here; I may find more in it. I may find character. And who knows, maybe the list seems simple because that was what the two guys could agree on. And, who knows, maybe they do actually have taste that would've been revealed had they listed more than five albums.

Caveats, continued: Bryan noted that "those will be towards the top of my list" and, for the record, I will not be laughing at Bryan's list. That would be ridiculous; he has taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Wow, guys.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    do you really think these are the top bands of 2009?
    Do you agree these 10 movies are the best of 2009?
    I believe you are asking the wrong questions. There is no "top albums of 2009." There is no "10 best movies of 2009."

Why is it that you believe these list-makers are lying?

He thinks people say things just to be "hip", and Jared is arguing that what people say they really mean some of the time, regardless of what Ron might think.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    He thinks people say things just to be "hip"
    And I am asking how Ron is distinguishing between an album that someone ranked highly to be hip and an album that someone ranked highly because they liked it/thought highly of it.

Though, really, the response is probably just going to be that it was a worthless non sequitur and he wasn't accusing anybody of anything. This is why you don't hit view post. This is why you don't hit view post.

He's not distinguishing. Which is where the problem lies.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I guess that means you are better or smarter then about 70 percent of the world. Wow you must be proud. See ya...... cr****
    Can you read? Did I ever say anything about you or anyone else's intelligence? Jesus fucking christ. You made an ass backwards attack, I called it for what it was, complete ignorance. I blamed it on your age because you are dealing with much younger culture in most of these lists... It was also a lighthearted way of offering you a merciful path back from your asinine assertion...

I totally agree though. Critics should pander to what is popular and known. That's the best way to stimulate culture.

/thread
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

John, I love the ghost type.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

This is what Supre said:
    John is going to pick weird s**t for his top albums just to make that look more ordinary.

This is what I said:

Not picking on John, but a lot of people and critics put out a list of groups (movies too) that are so obscure just to seem hip IMO. cr****

This is what you said:

that's because you are old.
    and
    You started this by launching into a generalized attack on an unnamed group of people. I was defending said people by pointing out that they, and others like them, have actually listened to the music they are talking about.

My generalized attact was on critics and people. I didnít mention in that statement the Filter article, or the Coachella board or anyone in particular. I didnít call anyone a liar either. Now throw out your straw dogs, your ifís andís and butís, and how about a simple yes or no. Do you believe some critics and some people put obscure names on list's just to be hip? Simple question even for you. Cr****

What is the difference between "cr****" and "Cr****"?
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

My generalized attact was on critics and people. I didnít mention in that statement the Filter article, or the Coachella board or anyone in particular. I didnít call anyone a liar either. Now throw out your straw dogs, your ifís andís and butís, and how about a simple yes or no. Do you believe some critics and some people put obscure names on list's just to be hip? Simple question even for you.
    Your generalized attact was offensive because of the context in which you brought it up.

You could have just of easily have said "Not to offend John but some people can't spell very well and use terrible grammer." It's either a valueless non sequitur or an attempt at veiling an attact. Of course some people can't spell very well and of course some people use terrible grammar. But that doesn't have a damned thing to do with me.

And of course some critics and other people put obscure names on their list's just to appear hip. Unless you are suggesting that I, specific other posters here or one (or more, listed specifically) of the artists that got a list in Filter were lying in order to appear hip the insistence on your point is entirely without value. You're either saying nothing - and thus shouldn't be belaboring the point like this - or you're playing for a guilt by association/suggestion.

And, also, Ron, SOME people do that. Do "a lot?" In my estimation, probably not. Maybe it's naive of me, but I tend to think that people won't say that they love a record unless they love it.

OK to beat a dead horse and to let this go. Mountmccabe I don't even know if you are the aforesaid "John". I don't know what you name is and really don't care. I was quoting supre so that is why I said specifically ďNot to dog JohnĒ. And Bmack, that was some of my point. Some critics do that and it is a small percentage. I never said a lot or many or any sort of value.

I do question the statement: I totally agree though. Critics should pander to what is popular and known. That's the best way to stimulate culture There is an elitist statement if I ever heard one. Just because something is popular does not make it bad.

Definition of pander:

Definition:

1. indulge weaknesses: to indulge somebody's weaknesses or questionable wishes and tastes
    tired of pandering to their children's demands

2. procure sexual favors: to procure sexual favors for somebody

noun (plural panēders)

Definition:

1. indulgent person: somebody who indulges somebody else's weaknesses or questionable wishes and tastes
    2. romantic go-between: a go-between in an illicit or secret romantic or sexual relationship
    Same as pimp

Thanks for the definitions. They still haven't improved your reading comprehension though.

OK to beat a dead horse and to let this go. Mountmccabe I don't even know if you are the aforesaid "John". I don't know what you name is and really don't care.
    what...the fuck, Ron. you don't know who John is?
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    what...the fuck, Ron. you don't know who John is?
    Amy I work at a place a little like the board in this way: On our email system you can have a nickname. Then in our security system you have your real name and then up to three different names, sometimes totally different. They are for the cops and social workers that want to keep a low profile. So you can have up to 5 names and I choose to ignore all but one. Therefore I remember one name for one person and leave it at that. I do the same here except for Rage and YB usually. So no, I don't know who John is. cr****

Bmack, that was some of my point. Some critics do that and it is a small percentage. I never said a lot or many or any sort of value.
    This is what I said:

Not picking on John, but a lot of people and critics put out a list of groups (movies too) that are so obscure just to seem hip IMO. cr****
    Can't edit it now

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Can't edit it now
    OK, so I did say a lot. That doesn't however mean even close to the most or whatever. There must be 10,000 critics of note, so I might say a few hundred which is a lot. But yes, I didn't go back and read what I said word for word. Life is too short for trivia and some of the ticky tacky stuff of this board like a spelling error. cr****

The discussion in this thread is pretty strange considering this thread has nothing to do with music criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    The discussion in this thread is pretty strange considering this thread has nothing to do with music criticism.
    Some board members just like to argue with me. I have accepted that over the years and sometimes I play along and sometimes it just is tedious. cr****

Just drop it, Ron. You guys are arguing over completely different things.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Just drop it, Ron. You guys are arguing over completely different things.
    I did drop it but of course Bmack had to go back to my first post and correct me on something I said. It really doesn't bother me though because after all, it's just a message board eh...Beside I usually take advice from a member that has STS9 in his upcoming shows hush canx lolz . cr****

What's wrong with STS9? Enlighten me.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

What's wrong with STS9? Enlighten me.
    Beside I usually take advice from a member that has STS9 in his upcoming shows

geez I thought that couldn't be any more clear that I like them. They are my fav non vocal and touring band. I was going to see the NYE but I have to save my money for coachella. Just to be clear. I LOVE STS9..... cr****