Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Friends at Coachella

Default Making Friends at Coachella

None of my friends like Coachella type music, and the ones that do can't make it to the festival. Is it easy to make new friends, or at least find groups of people to hang out with at Coachella? Any tips for doing this?

Default Re: Making Friends at Coachella

I haven't heard of this happening around here. My best advice would be to take out a Craigslist ad and come back to share the link with us so we can help you search.

I was hoping that it was Tommy who started this thread.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Thumbs down Re: Making Friends at Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by thefriedman94 View Post
    None of my friends like Coachella type music...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotequeThom View Post
    Shpongle Jedi flip if its a live set

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I was hoping that it was Tommy who started this thread.
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by PC-2 Violence View Post
    I know. It's mostly because I'm so far from the festival, though.

I know. It's mostly because I'm so far from the festival, though.
    What type of friends are you trying to make at Coachella?

Quote Originally Posted by PC-2 Violence View Post
    What type of friends are you trying to make at Coachella?
    Just people I could hang out with at the shows, mostly. & maybe after shows to recap how amazing things were. It's always better than being alone.

You could always join a camping group.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

Quote Originally Posted by eskamo951 View Post
    You could always join a camping group.
    Where can you join them? Sorry, I'm new to both Coachella & the forums.

They are a few in the camping section. They probably aren't accepting anyone until the line-up comes out in January, but you can investigate.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

I'm glad I have at least one good friend who shares my passion for a large range of music. I hate talking to people about anything music related and always getting, "Whaa?" back in my face.

I WILL be going to this ( my first ) Coachella with two friends and will whore myself as needed.
    Saved two girls at DFA. Come at me karma.
    COACHELLACOLLECTIVE

None of my friends like Coachella type music, and the ones that do can't make it to the festival. Is it easy to make new friends, or at least find groups of people to hang out with at Coachella? Any tips for doing this?
    i've been a coachella-goer for the past 6 years, and i've never had a problem meeting people. granted, i've never gone alone, but i don't always stay with my friends the whole time. people are generally very friendly, and it's not weird or rare to strike up a conversation with a neighbor.
    hope this helps.

Word of advice, if a cute girl sits next to you on the bleachers at the Outdoor theatre and offers you to taste a bite of her terriayki chicken bowl, don't say no.

in 08 i found myself in this same situation. after a lot of going back and forth about whether i would go or not i finally said fuck it and went to coachella by myself. i met 5 of the coolest people i've ever met and ended up having the best weekend of my life, hands down. here's a few tips on how it's done:

1. find some cool foreign people!! as long as they speak english you never have to worry about running out of conversation. they have cool accents and you could go on for hours contrasting each others cultures.

2. bring herbs. nothing says hello like, "do you blaze?"

3. offer to help setup campsites. there's never shortage of hapless OC girls with no camping experience. help them pitch their tent and who knows...

4. convince gv to bring back the coachella express. when you're pumped up for the weekend and so is everyone else around you and junkie xl is spinning in the next car over and people are hooking you up with free shit left and right and THEN someone offers you a slab of cool vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two freshly baked tollhouse chocolate chip cookies, everyone suddenly becomes your best friend.

5. get trashed and just pretend like everyone is your best friend. high five, wooooooooo and bro-hug your way to fuzzy memories that will last a lifetime!!!!

hope these help. happy coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by Veloco22 View Post
    in 08 i found myself in this same situation. after a lot of going back and forth about whether i would go or not i finally said fuck it and went to coachella by myself. i met 5 of the coolest people i've ever met and ended up having the best weekend of my life, hands down. here's a few tips on how it's done:

1. find some cool foreign people!! as long as they speak english you never have to worry about running out of conversation. they have cool accents and you could go on for hours contrasting each others cultures.

3. offer to help setup campsites. there's never shortage of hapless OC girls with no camping experience. help them pitch their tent and who knows...

4. convince gv to bring back the coachella express. when you're pumped up for the weekend and so is everyone else around you and junkie xl is spinning in the next car over and people are hooking you up with free shit left and right and THEN someone offers you a slab of cool vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two freshly baked tollhouse chocolate chip cookies, everyone suddenly becomes your best friend.

5. get trashed and just pretend like everyone is your best friend. high five, wooooooooo and bro-hug your way to fuzzy memories that will last a lifetime!!!!

Best advice I've read so far.
    Taking in all the past experience info I can.
    Saved two girls at DFA. Come at me karma.
    COACHELLACOLLECTIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Veloco22 View Post

This, right here is what I believe to be the Coachella Spirit and Vibe that I've felt every year since my first time, and will probably continue to be the reason I return every year after.

And, believe it or not, all the sarcasm and snideness you may see here on occassion seems to disappear that one weekend in April. Coachella is like one big family then. It's only when there hasn't been a Coachella for 6 months that the family seems to become disfunctional and sassy...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

yeah idk just don't think about it. i've traveled for festivals alone and there's always gonna be a bunch of people in the crowd that are just as down with the music as you are, so it won't be hard.

and yeah.. weed helps.

I went last year for the first time by myself and had no problem at all meting people. Just camp at the camp grounds and your golden. But weed and ciggs do help out but if not like my case still pretty easy. Just be friendly and go up to people and talk to them.

I heard about this group of like 80 kids or so, from the Coachella board, who like to pawty.

They throw their own pawties, and a core group of them travel around meeting up all year long, celebrating life and raving, and going to one of a kind shows. If only we were all that lucky...

If I see that creepy guy in the fuzzy animal outfit(?) with his hug sign this year, he's gonna get an aidz needle in the bum.
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

bring weed
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Would you fucks stop and visualize this for one second??

You really want to dedicate a solid chunk of your Coachella-going to go get asshole to asshole with a bunch of sweaty jerkoffs so you can sing along and fistpump to fucking "Poker Face"?

You don't make friends, you earn them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    But, I thought....*lowers head, puts away cans of alcohol*

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeeznuts View Post
    But, I thought....*lowers head, puts away cans of alcohol*
    Cans of alcohol? Whoa.
    Tequilla in a can? Who woulda thought?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

my best advice: camp and smile a lot.

walking around with a frown upset about how hot it is will be the quickest way to never meet a soul and have the impossible experience=a bad coachella

camping is great. you meet thousands of people and party all weekend long. bring weed. in the campsite definetely bring alcohol. the more booze you have as each night passes and it becomes scarce, the more friends you will have
    Iron Maiden, Boards of Canada and Underworld for 2013

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

camping is critical. 100% critical.
    show up early on thursday and help people out. just smile and say hi. I came to coachella the first time just for the music, and came back because of the atmosphere and the people. I promise you that over the course of the weekend, you'll make friends you'll remember forever.

Sharing a few cool beers when unloading in the camping parking lot could possibly help you make friends. And if you click it's easy to shuffle through security together and end up camping in more or less the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I made all of mine in a laboratory
    '99-'11...

Ill be your friend
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -