Page 55 of 106 FirstFirst ... 5051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 3173

Thread: ATP New York 2010

Default Re: ATP New York 2010

Quote Originally Posted by whiney View Post
    Also, does anyone know what the Shellac "house band" tag means? They did it at the Breeders ATP. Is it just a gag because they're always there, or does it actually signify something?
    I think the label has been attached to them so many times(because they are at so many) that they just decided to embrace it. What a mighty band to call the house band, ATP is so lucky

Quote Originally Posted by MrAmeche View Post
    OK, so first we got this from ATP:

>We thought it would be advisable to inform you that we will be
    announcing a group of new acts for the festival in the next few days,
    and as sales are already moving a lot faster than last year, if you
    want to guarantee being able to get enough weekend tickets you may
    want to buy them sooner rather than later.

then, when folks seemed surprised the next lineup announcement didn't include a huge name, Jamie responded with this

>There's something else being worked on that's taking longer than expected, that was why we sent out that email.

but now it's being chalked up to
    >we sent that email a while back because we weren't sure of the weekend ticket/day ticket split at that point and a lot of people were and are picking up rooms with the intention of buying weekend tickets later - so we wanted to give fair warning that it might not be possible depending on how sales go.

Seems to me either something big dropped out or, if the original email was never about a specific act, we all got kinda duped. Guess that's on us, but someone in the know could have clarified sometime over the past three months. Though obviously, from a cynical point of view, doing so wouldn't be in ATP's best interest.
    "Duped" is super harsh

I chalk it up to:
    1) Booking a festival is complicated
    2) Shit happens

its almost as if they're in the unenviable position of having to balance the finances, egos and schedules of a bunch of rock bands. how could something like this happen?!?!!

The original email actually said:

"We understand that a large number of you have bought your rooms with the intention of buying some or all of your weekend tickets at a later stage. We thought it would be advisable to inform you that we will be announcing a group of new acts for the festival in the next few days, and as sales are already moving a lot faster than last year, if you
    want to guarantee being able to get enough weekend tickets you may want to buy them sooner rather than later."

So it's not really a change of story. At that point it did look like things were going to happen faster announcement-wise; and rather than tickets sell out and a lot of people be angry because they'd bought a room and not tickets we thought it best to let people know what was going on. Obviously things have taken a bit longer and we do apologise if anyone feels misled by that; it wasn't our intention.

Comedy should be announced along with the last set of bands. I've heard a few names for Sunday all of which would be cool so fingers crossed everyone.

Fair enough. I guess I just prefer the idea that something big fell through than that you watched us spend the past three months going berserk about something that was never gonna happen, particularly since you seemed to add to the hype by posting

>There's something else being worked on that's taking longer than expected, that was why we sent out that email.

But whatever. This fest will be amazing, just like the last two were. Tom Waits or no Tom Waits

I don't know why anyone would say the Clean/Bats doubleshot would have been a long shot, considering Hamish lives in New York full time and Bob has a house there. Still, Hallogallo is an awesome call, and Shellac is always a good time. We have huge expectations for this, but those are some awesome choices.

And fuck off whoever is calling Hallogallo a Sonic Youth side project. Just stick around long enough to hear some of the songs and you'll wipe that condescension right off your ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

For most of the fests we go through the fun of having 4 or 5 or 6 big names that look like they're on the verge of confirming and then they drop out; but we keep on working on things. Maybe you're right and less posting from us would mean less insane speculation from you guys ;-)

I saw the first Hallogallo show last week in Barcelona and it is AMAZING. Any Neu! fans will not be disappointed, people were going crazy. Michael was totally happy with it and Steve and Aaron did a great great job. Calling it a SY side project IS crazy - these guys were really honoured to be involved.

Shellac house band thing is just a joke really as we always have them.

Oh! Steve Albini's card game room is back, i know someone on here was asking about that.

Lord Sinclair just confirmed his pop/rock quiz is on too... http://www.atpfestival.com/artist/popquiz.php

Man, the Pop/Rock quiz timing broke my heart last year. It was so much fun in '08, but Boredoms, man, Boredoms.

SY side project was harsh(and innaccurate), just blowing off a little letdown excitement is back though, no worries

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I am pleased with this round. Excited to hear more about Sunday down the line.

Also dudes, don't complain about this shit because things always turn out spectacular. Best festival I've ever been to.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I have to echo another member's concern. I don't think I'm the only one who is going to have a difficult time convincing casual listeners to spend 400 on so much obscurity. The past NY festivals (and all of their European counterparts) do a wonderful job at balancing the big with the small, a dynamic that's pretty heavily skewed towards the latter with what's been released thus far.

But enough: let the speculation re: comedy begin. Can I get a call for the recently reunited Human Giant?

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrAmeche View Post
    Seems to me either something big dropped out or, if the original email was never about a specific act, we all got kinda duped. Guess that's on us, but someone in the know could have clarified sometime over the past three months. Though obviously, from a cynical point of view, doing so wouldn't be in ATP's best interest.
    I hope you see the irony in expressing these expectations on the message board for a festival that takes an almost perverse delight in not communicating with its fanbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by itsallgonnabreak View Post
    I have to echo another member's concern. I don't think I'm the only one who is going to have a difficult time convincing casual listeners to spend 400 on so much obscurity. The past NY festivals (and all of their European counterparts) do a wonderful job at balancing the big with the small, a dynamic that's pretty heavily skewed towards the latter with what's been released thus far.

But enough: let the speculation re: comedy begin. Can I get a call for the recently reunited Human Giant?
    That's the thing. This is not generally a festival for "casual listeners". It just isn't.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Also I am looking forward to Bmack's face after Hallogallo.

I don't really need to entice casual listeners, I'm more hoping for a name that screams "spend $400"(maybe even cross the pacific) to a handful of 20-somethings

I recommend that they read every review from the past two years and check out pictures/video. The lineup is integral but there's a special feeling there that's definitely worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I hope you see the irony in expressing these expectations on the message board for a festival that takes an almost perverse delight in not communicating with its fanbase.
    Sure, sure, except that there is communication by a fest representative on a fairly regular basis here.
    Anyway, I said my piece and I'm satisfied with Jamie's response (and I appreciate him responding at all when he obviously didn't have to). It's all good. Very much looking forward to year 3.

....which, it should be noted, is what I meant.

Even looking at the majority of the upcoming ATP events (Modest Mouse, BSS, The Clean, The Vaselines), it doesn't seem too out of the realm for something a bit more.

Ok, can we step back for a second?

When did the Clean become a big deal for anyone else? Because I never hear anyone talk about them on here, and I would go absolutely batshit if they played, but it's not like the Clean are exactly a huge deal in most people's books. It makes me happy to see all the love in here, but it's also kind of confusing me.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I recommend that they read every review from the past two years and check out pictures/video. The lineup is integral but there's a special feeling there that's definitely worth the money.
    But you have to admit...so far this years lineup pales in comparison to last years.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Night and day.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I like this years better than the first year. It'll be hard to touch last year though...

For me, it doesn't pale, but it's definitely not quite as amazing. Although I think for me part of it is the rarity of the Sufjan show and the fact that Boredoms are one of my golden two. If that hadn't been the case, I think I'd be every bit as excited for this year. I mean, Sleep, Stooges and Hallogallo alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    I think the label has been attached to them so many times(because they are at so many) that they just decided to embrace it. What a mighty band to call the house band, ATP is so lucky
    Also from Shellac's info page:
    "Shellac (House Band)
    Shellac is returning to ATP yet again (jesus) as an obligatory "Legacy" act."

so there is your answer

I see no problems with this year's lineup. 2008 was my favorite for obvious reasons, and last year had some stellar things (Boredoms! Sufjan!), but overall this year is extremely solid. I have no complaints especially since Sunday isn't done yet.

if there is no conflict. i will watch shellac drunk again.

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    I don't really need to entice casual listeners, I'm more hoping for a name that screams "spend $400"(maybe even cross the pacific) to a handful of 20-somethings
    20somethings don't have any money, that's why the fest leans so heavily towards 90s indie that gainfully employed 30somethings like

Heh... I don't know... last year was pretty heavy on the 20-something crowd.