Thread: Offical Forget Subpar Side Projects, Give Us the Real Deal Thread

Default Offical Forget Subpar Side Projects, Give Us the Real Deal Thread

Over the past several years, it seems Coachella has had a running theme in easily booking side projects of bands that are sometimes ok but for the most part subpar and can't hold a candle to the original bands.

Getting The Raconteurs or The Dead Weather is not getting The White Stripes.
    Getting The Good The Bad The Queen is not getting Blur or Gorillaz.
    Getting Them Crooked Vultures is not getting Queens of the Stone Age or Foo Fighters.
    Getting Julian Casablances or Julian Plenti will surely not be like getting The Strokes or Interpol.
    Tell Perry to bring the rest of Jane's Addiction instead of showing up by himself.
    Lets at least be grateful we're not getting Steven Malkmus & The Jicks again. On second thought, I'm not sure if Pavement live is any better!

I know some people out there are going to say it adds variety and that seeing artists explore other directions is cool, but you know what? NO. Break the cycle and give us the real deal instead of these distraction bands that only get our attention because of their famous band member affiliations.
    I can't think of many exceptions to this outside of The Breeders, Thom Yorke, Panda Bear, and I don't know, throw in your two cents.

Default Re: Offical Forget Subpar Side Projects, Give Us the Real Deal Thread

huh... well I'd actually prefer seeing TCV over QOTSA or foo fighters...

So they're not supposed to book bands that aren't other bands?

i'd be very happy to see a perfect circle on the poster
    Iron Maiden, Boards of Canada and Underworld for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    huh... well I'd actually prefer seeing TCV over QOTSA or foo fighters...
    Seconded.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

old school

yeah, like GV doesn't WANT the better known, but on hiatus acts..

i'd also rather have TCV than QOTSA or the Foo..

the problem with the list you made is you didn't mention the worst offenders (ie Scars on Broadway, Serj Tankian, Patton & Rahzel, The Bug WITH Warrior Queen, Morrissey, & Diplo/Switch instead of Major Lazer)..

but there are exceptions, such as Jenny Lewis, Bob Mould, Paul Weller, Conor Oberst, Henry Rollins and Amanda Palmer, who were as good or nearly as good as the full band, and in some cases (Amanda Palmer) the best of both..

i think Jane's Addiction subbing will be very likely (but there will probably still be a Perry set on another day)... Jenny Lewis was great, & i liked Rilo Kiley more, but was grateful for the variety of having had both..
    Last edited by nbvcide; 11-15-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

this bullshit doesn't even deserve the detailed response I was about to spend time writing
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

To the person who created this thread. I have been commissioned to hand you this.

Last edited by Ergofeev:v.X; 11-15-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    but there are exceptions, such as Jenny Lewis, Bob Mould, Paul Weller, Conor Oberst, Henry Rollins and Amanda Palmer, who were as good or nearly as good as the full band, and in some cases (Amanda Palmer) the best of both..

i think Jane's Addiction subbing will be very likely (but there will probably still be a Perry set on another day)... Jenny Lewis was great, & i liked Rilo Kiley more, but was grateful for the variety of having had both..
    I agree, but I think solo projects are a little different because a lot of times, those musicians play their band's work on top of their own stuff. Also, you can't do much about the Bob Moulds, Paul Wellers, Morrisseys and Henry Rollins out there when their bands are broken up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergofeev:v.X View Post
    To the person who created this thread. I have been commissioned to hand you this.

Funny because I was commissioned to hand you this:

Oh fuck.

I'm going to break the cycle and say that I would very much rather have Queens of the Stone Age than Them Crooked Vultures.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

QOTSA started to lose some serious steam with their last two albums and their live show suffered a LOT from Nick Oliveri's departure of the band. The last two times I saw them were unfortunately not nearly as good as the previous times

i'm excited about TCV and Josh having something fresh to work with
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by somebodytoldme View Post
    Getting Them Crooked Vultures is not getting Queens of the Stone Age or Foo Fighters.
    Getting the Foo Fighters is not getting Nirvana and getting Queens Of The Stone Age is not getting Kyuss. I'll take Them Crooked Vultures just fine.
    Last edited by CellarOwl; 11-17-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: carlos d has herpes

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

getting paul mccartney is not getting the fireman.

Quote Originally Posted by somebodytoldme View Post
    or Julian Plenti will surely not be like getting The Strokes or Interpol.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by CellarOwl View Post
    Getting the Foo Fighters is not getting Nirvana and getting Queens Of The Stone Age is not getting Kyuss. I'll take Them Crooked Vultures just fine.
    by that frame of logic, getting Them Crooked Vultures is not getting Led Zeppelin..
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.