Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Man 2010

Default Re: Burning Man 2010

presale tickets go on sale in 5 days.. i saw we buy em now and let the 9 month anticipation process begin =]

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misterpickles View Post
    presale tickets go on sale in 5 days.. i saw we buy em now and let the 9 month anticipation process begin =]
    tickets generally go on sale in january. where did you hear tickets were selling in 5 days?

Quote Originally Posted by Egull View Post
    I literally have never met a person that went to Burning Man and didn't have a good time. I really hope I will be able to go in 2010.
    TONS of people don't have a good time there. They either don't anticipate the heat (and cold at night) or don't bring the right gear/food, or just plain get sick of it (although the latter is rare because these are generally type of people that just show up the last couple days and treat burning man like a frat party anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    tickets generally go on sale in january. where did you hear tickets were selling in 5 days?
    http://tickets.burningman.com/

LOL they're offering pre-sales at the 3rd tier price? Must be an attempt to avoid another monumental fuckup like In Ticketing produced last year by trying to draw some volume early. It's a retarded notion.

There will be cheaper tickets available even through CL eventually.

Have fun with your presales.

jackstraw, always the eternal downer and know it all.

what's your beef with others wanting to experience this gathering? you've been bitter from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

don't buy pre-sale now, there's still opportunities for student and low income tickets... find out when you can submit an application and get 'em cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    jackstraw, always the eternal downer and know it all.

what's your beef with others wanting to experience this gathering? you've been bitter from the start.
    I'm not trying to discourage others from the experience (although I would try to discourage those that think this is a music festival. People getting excited over that "lineup" that someone posted is bad news and will give people the wrong impression). My main point is that the presale thing is complete bullshit. But by all means go to burning man, and buy your tickets presale. Show up with a couple gallons of water and a dozen hits of E and go nuts.

If you're going for the first time just be sure to READ THE GUIDE if you don't have someone with you that's been before. Also if you haven't been before be prepared to spend well over a grand +whatever drugs you think you'll need. There is absolutely nothing but coffee and ice that you can buy up there.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 11-16-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Tell us about your personal experiences at BM Jackstraw
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotequeThom View Post
    Shpongle Jedi flip if its a live set

I'm not trying to discourage others from the experience (although I would try to discourage those that think this is a music festival. People getting excited over that "lineup" that someone posted is bad news and will give people the wrong impression). My main point is that the presale thing is complete bullshit. But by all means go to burning man, and buy your tickets presale. Show up with a couple gallons of water and a dozen hits of E and go nuts.

If you're going for the first time just be sure to READ THE GUIDE if you don't have someone with you that's been before. Also if you haven't been before be prepared to spend well over a grand +whatever drugs you think you'll need. There is absolutely nothing but coffee and ice that you can buy up there.
    Fair Enough, I'll accept this.

Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    Fair Enough, I'll accept this.
    There are only 2 camps that bring in big name DJs and for many burners this is a huge no-no. It draws the people with the wrong idea. Granted that it can be a mind blowing experience to stroll by Opulent Temple and see infected mushroom playing in that atmosphere, but big names are not the point. If you spent your time dashing from one spot on the playa over to another every night trying to catch some name you've heard a million times then (and I guarantee you'll fail if you try) you'd be missing the rest of experience. It's an art festival no matter what some people say about it being a big rave. The accusations of it being a rave are spawned by people seeing scenes of those huge camps filled with rich kids. Thousands of people spend their entire year working on projects for no other reason than to contribute something mindblowing. You add in a bunch of ravers wearing glowsticks who just came to see fucking Tiesto and do nothing but crowd and fuck up your art car, or push in behind you while you're trying to enjoy music or something, and it discourages people who do contribute. Lots of camps these days are even breaking down a day or two early because Friday and saturday night are unbearable.

grumble grumble yeah I know. But once you see the extreme effort and expense people put into it you'll realize.

It's not a fucking music festival. If you just want to do drugs and listen to the big name DJs then just do that in a proper club MUCH easier.

I'm going this year finally and can't wait. Been watching this documentary from Current TV which has me and a bunch of my friends very excited about 2010.
    Check out Sleeping In Is Giving In for great mixes and other cool stuff

I would definitely be going for the experience and not the music. I would even go if there was no music put on.

Alas, I'm not going next year but i've been seriously considering it (for at least a couple days, more than 4 isnt feasible with my work). I agree wholeheartedly with you Jack.

the few of my buds who've gone in the past say it's like nothing else they've ever experienced, near indescribable... i'm wondering though if it would be better to camp with good friends or beforehand just connect with another camp that looks interesting and hopefully it'll work out?? hah

old school

Also if you haven't been before be prepared to spend well over a grand +whatever drugs you think you'll need. There is absolutely nothing but coffee and ice that you can buy up there.
    maybe if you're setting up your own camp or need to bring the luxuries of home because you can't rough it.. Michele went with nothing, came back with more than she could carry and didn't spend a dime.. (i will admit that she's an exception)

everything there works on the barter system, so i'd say you don't need to spend anything once you leave home, provided you bring the right clothing and lots of water..
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    maybe if you're setting up your own camp or need to bring the luxuries of home because you can't rough it.. Michele went with nothing, came back with more than she could carry and didn't spend a dime.. (i will admit that she's an exception)

everything there works on the barter system, so i'd say you don't need to spend anything once you leave home, provided you bring the right clothing and lots of water..
    No. this is the biggest misconception about burning man. Do NOT go up there thinking it's a "barter system". If anything they'll describe it as a "gift economy" but do not under any circumstances go up there without everything you'll need and expect others to take care of you (that is unless you're part of a larger camp and it IS someone's specific job to cook or shade you or whatever). It's called radical self-reliance (read the guide). This is not a fucking hippie festival where you should expect to freeload off of everyone else's effort and resources. If you run into or are camped near random people that offer you food or other things then great. That shit happens all the time, but it's not a fucking barter system. Anyone who's been there and has the balls to say that is an idiot.

You may think you can bring your little backpacking tent and some fucking trader joes dried food but you will be miserable. Your tent should be LARGE and it MUST be shaded. Don't expect to be able to sleep after dawn unless these conditions are met. And you can laugh at some of the folks who bring luxuries but once you get there you'll realize that's the fucking point for some. burning man is not about "roughing it" or proving how tough you are. Producing surreal shit in the desert is the point. You need to spend effort lighting your camp so that you don't kill yourself on someone's guy line or rebar, etc. etc. This is not like regular camping. Don't bring healthy boring food because you wont want to eat it. Bring shit that's tasty because when you're strung out or your normal rhythms are off you won't want to keep eating. This shit all costs money. You may happen to know someone that floated through the experience with no effort, but for every one of those there are a dozen responsible people who create an environment where that person can survive.

Young blood

I went 5 years ago naked with no food water or shelter. I even walked home after the fest.

That's my plan.

Well, I might bring an empty fanny pack, because a naked dude in a fanny pack is way funnier than just a naked dude.
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

No. this is the biggest misconception about burning man. Do NOT go up there thinking it's a "barter system". If anything they'll describe it as a "gift economy" but do not under any circumstances go up there without everything you'll need and expect others to take care of you (that is unless you're part of a larger camp and it IS someone's specific job to cook or shade you or whatever). It's called radical self-reliance (read the guide). This is not a fucking hippie festival where you should expect to freeload off of everyone else's effort and resources. If you run into or are camped near random people that offer you food or other things then great. That shit happens all the time, but it's not a fucking barter system. Anyone who's been there and has the balls to say that is an idiot.

You may think you can bring your little backpacking tent and some fucking trader joes dried food but you will be miserable. Your tent should be LARGE and it MUST be shaded. Don't expect to be able to sleep after dawn unless these conditions are met. And you can laugh at some of the folks who bring luxuries but once you get there you'll realize that's the fucking point for some. burning man is not about "roughing it" or proving how tough you are. Producing surreal shit in the desert is the point. You need to spend effort lighting your camp so that you don't kill yourself on someone's guy line or rebar, etc. etc. This is not like regular camping. Don't bring healthy boring food because you wont want to eat it. Bring shit that's tasty because when you're strung out or your normal rhythms are off you won't want to keep eating. This shit all costs money. You may happen to know someone that floated through the experience with no effort, but for every one of those there are a dozen responsible people who create an environment where that person can survive.
    Keep it coming...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotequeThom View Post
    Shpongle Jedi flip if its a live set

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    And any of you going I highly recommend you hook up with a group that has been before and knows what they're doing. Having an experienced guide will make all the difference.
    I made the decision that Burning Man is going to my my festival this year. There are some things about it that are really appealing to me. The idea of the gift economy is something that I've read about - not pertaining to Burning Man per se, but in general.

I just got offered to camp with one of the BIG theme camps this year. I'm mulling it over. I will probably accept their offer. The people from this camp that I've talked to are all genuinely nice people.

I'm going to begin constructing my hexayurt for my shelter. I've already started thinking about operating a 'soup kitchen' a couple of nights for anyone who wants some until it's gone. My 18 quart soup pot could feed a bunch of people, I think. Since I'm not an artist, this is one way that I can participate. Help with participation is another reason I'm thinking I'll camp with this group. They've been running the camp for a few years now and are all pretty seasoned Burners. They'll help me along my preparation and the mental taxation of radical self reliance, since I've never gone before.
    Last edited by All Your Base; 11-26-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    Private board meeting in the executive PAWffice this weekend. I'll have your coffee how you like it, beer instead of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by PC-2 Violence View Post
    Keep it coming...
    That's what she said!!
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Tickets on sale next Thursday, Jan 12 at 10:00am kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    Private board meeting in the executive PAWffice this weekend. I'll have your coffee how you like it, beer instead of coffee.

actually it's today in about 5mins...

http://tickets.burningman.com/

old school

Goldenvoice signs Burning Man

http://burncast.blogspot.com/2010/04...ldenvoice.html
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Well, it was posted on April Fools day.....

I'll go with what suprefan said...

Found a pretty good video.
    http://www.vimeo.com/4344652
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

Very cool vid, thanks Andrew

anyone have their tickets yet?

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    There's lots of music, some of it is even good music, but the only things you see is what people haul in. So the music you will see and hear, is the music that people carry in...so DJ's on RV's, Stoners with Guitars, a dude tripping on acid playing a keyboard...

etc.
    There are enormous sound systems that rival systems at some of the music festivals. Opulent Temple, Root Society, Do Lab and Nexus bring enormous sound systems and have world class DJ's spinning everynight. Last year names like; Freq Nasty, Bassnectar, Carl Cox, DJ Dan and one of the guys from Thievery Corp were just some of the names on the playa.
    No one cares what shows you've seen, are currently seeing or are going to see!!!!!