Thread: Wilco

Hybrid View

Default Wilco

Can someone please explain to me what the general love for Wilco is all about? I've sat down and tried to listen to them objectively and honestly it just sounds like warmed over AOR/Grateful Dead/Tom Petty bullshit. Am I missing some subtext here? Seriously, what garners them so much love? I consider myself a wideminded listener but these guys just aren't striking any unique notes and I find their brand of alt-country just plain boring. They are touring again and I've been obligated to attend but I'm thinking of skipping it because I think they suck. Enlighten me please.

Default Re: Wilco

If you're legitimately calling them alt country, then you're not listening to the right wilco. Give Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a full listen.

OK, I'll give YHF another go. I honestly want to like them but they're just not striking me with something interesting and my first exposure is not doing it for me.

For individual songs check out Poor Places, Via Chicago, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, Handshake Drugs, Albums to check out outside the Alt-country genre other than YHF are Summerteeth and A Ghost is Born.

For their live shows guitarist Nels Cline takes a big role. Songs that were boring to me on Sky Blue Sky were highlights when I saw them at Bonnaroo because of him.

you'll probably enjoy more kicking television. a great live album and it gives you a taste of most of their works.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    you'll probably enjoy more kicking television. a great live album and it gives you a taste of most of their works.
    Thanks man, I'm off to check that out and I look forward to being enlightened. I'm hoping their live stuff works more for me.
    Last edited by invisiblerobots; 10-18-2009 at 12:00 PM.

I really didn't get into Wilco until I got Kicking Television. Now, they are one of the few bands that I get goosebumps for when I go to a show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblerobots View Post
    Can someone please explain to me what the general love for Wilco is all about? I've sat down and tried to listen to them objectively and honestly it just sounds like warmed over AOR/Grateful Dead/Tom Petty bullshit. Am I missing some subtext here? Seriously, what garners them so much love? I consider myself a wideminded listener but these guys just aren't striking any unique notes and I find their brand of alt-country just plain boring. They are touring again and I've been obligated to attend but I'm thinking of skipping it because I think they suck. Enlighten me please.
    Hey fucktard - your question could have easily just gone under the "wilco new album/tour" thread. That's where all Wilco-related topics have been. And you wouldn't have had to start a new thread.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Hey fucktard - your question could have easily just gone under the "wilco new album/tour" thread. That's where all Wilco-related topics have been. And you wouldn't have had to start a new thread.
    my god this douche!
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

and said with such authority too, you have gained 1,000 board points.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Thanks man, I'm off to check that out and I look forward to being enlightened. I'm hoping their live stuff works more for me.
    Although Kicking TV rules very hard, you want to get the audio tracks for the DVD they released earlier this year. It's a very different Nels Clyne "unleashed" as I like to say. Over the past few years his role with the band and his solo's have become outstanding. On Kicking TV he's great and it's a tight album but trust me. Get the Ashes of American Flags DVD and with it comes the audio tracks.

The next best suggestion in this thread came from softbulletin, he summed it up well.

My favorite is probably Summerteeth with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in a close tie.

I would also consider starting with the Uncle Tupelo Anthology and working your way throught their sound changes from there. AM, Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel, A Ghost is Born, Sky Blue Sky then Wilco (the album).

Their live show is definitely different than their studio stuff and Nels is a large part of that sound difference. Songs that are boring as piss on Sky Blue Sky are beautiful live and some of my favorite tracks they play live.

Lately i've been digging the songs "you are my face" and "hate it here" the most.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Get the Ashes of American Flags DVD and with it comes the audio tracks.

Lately i've been digging the songs "you are my face" and "hate it here" the most.
    Good suggestion. I nearly wore out my DVD when it came out. And while the songs are great, there's always a visual element to live performances, so I prefer the DVD.

I really enjoy "You Are My Face," and the solo on "Impossible Germany" is a masterpiece.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

AOR/Grateful Dead/Tom Petty bullshit.
    what kind of music do you like otherwise? cuz Wilco is pretty much the same genre as the 'bullshit' you listed. I mean they're light years better than what you listed but their roots are in that same place. If you're looking for them to sound like David Bowie or Brian Eno or Joy Division or Daft Punk then you are bound to not like them ever.

I find their brand of alt-country just plain boring.

What brand of alt-country do you like?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Wilco is, to my mind, best first experienced as road-trip music. tweedy writes fantastic pop songs with excellent, introspective lyrics. Some of the albums are breathtakingly experimental for an "alt-country" band. Their live show is absolutely incredible, only matched by a handful of bands out there today.

Start with Kicking Television or Summerteeth. Ignore the hipsters who tell you to start with Ghost is Born - that one is too much of a grower (although excellent).

If you still don't like them, that's cool. They're past the comfort zone of a number of my friends, who otherwise have impeccible taste. And if you don't like Tom Petty you will probably have trouble with Wilco.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid