Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod extended warranty - worth the money?

Default iPod extended warranty - worth the money?

My one-year anniversary with my iPod nano is fast approaching and I got an e-mail from Apple offering me an extended warranty for $39. I use my iPod pretty much every day (at least 5 days a week at work) but I'm also not clumsy or accident-prone, so the likelihood of me dropping it in the toilet or some shit and ruining it that way is pretty minimal. But I don't know how long these machines last even if you take reasonably good care of them. Is $39 an unnecessary expense or would it be a wise investment?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: iPod extended warranty - worth the money?

do it!

that $40 will get you a warranty that lasts two years from the day it was purchased. if there's anything damaged or broken you'll get a free replacement, no hassles at all. I had to replace mine twice since I got it. once it was totally fucked, the other time it was just the hold button was broken.

Very worth it.
    On anything electronic, I always get an extended protection plan/ warranty, but ipods are something almost mandatory.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

See, I disagree. I dont buy electronic warranties because I think they are a waste of money (with the exception of apple care for my computer). Treat your stuff well and it will treat you well. If it is a bad product it would break in the first year anyway, which is usually within the manufacturers warranty. If the peace of mind is worth 40 bucks, go for it, but that is also a show or two that you could go see...

Just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I dont even own an ipod, so I have no opinion.

For me, warranties are worthwhile as an insurance policy if the item is expensive enough that I would freak out if it was damaged and would have financial difficulty replacing it.

But for something like a Nano, $40 seems sort of like a lot considering it would only cost maybe $150 to replace it if broken and get a shiny new one.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Yeah, that's more than 25% of the cost of the item. I dont know. I dont feel like it's worth it if you say you take of your stuff. Yes, I put mine in the washing machine and dryer, but they are so damn small now. Still worked though for about 8 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I also assume that Apple and similar companies do not provide these warranties out of the goodness of their heart. I'm guessing that they provide them, like any other sorts of insurance policies, because they make money off of them. That means statistically, you are probably going to require less than $40 worth of warranty services over the course of the policy.

So, if you're accident prone and/or put your electronic through a tougher beating than the average user, the warranty makes sense. Otherwise, not so much. Unless as I said above, it would be a significant financial hardship to the cover the cost of replacement/repair on your own.

With the warranties, though, with something as simple as the screen freezing (which is fixed with a simple reset, and osmething my nano did often) you can get a completely new ipod. At least according to my friend who sells the warranties at Best Buy, I haven't actually tried to cash in on it
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

It's not worth it with iPod nano. If something happens to iPod nano, since it is cheap compare to other iPods, I'd replace it with a new shiny nano with video camera.

Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I never purchase warranties for any of my electronic items. I don't regret it for a second. I look at them as a cash grab for the store or manufacturer.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    But for something like a Nano, $40 seems sort of like a lot considering it would only cost maybe $150 to replace it if broken and get a shiny new one.
    oh are we talking about ipod nanos? damn. my world hasn't expanded beyond the ipod classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    this
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I have never bought an extended warranty ever. When I think back, I don't remember a situation that I would have used one either. I don't have things like life insurance either (policies I have to pay for) so that is just me. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Warranties, especially for electronics, are you just giving your money to the company. If anybody who's worked in sales has offered some sort of warranty, they know that 95% of the time the warranty is never used. Keep your $40
    Quote Originally Posted by morelifefucker View Post
    The drugs dont work as well on sunday as they worked on friday.

When I purchased my first iPod in 2004(?) I did get the warranty. I can't remember how long I had it when it just stopped working. I took it back into Circuit City and got a new one, no questions asked. Not just any new one, but the new 20gb photo one. I had that iPod photo for close to 5 years with no problems until I accidentally dunked it in a glass of water. Now with my 60gb classic I did get the extended warranty. I guess it is all due to my first iPod fucking up, I just thought it was worth the extra cash. But for a nano that you've had for a year and this covers an extra year I would probably skip the extra warranty. But I'm a cheap ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

You have to pay for Nanos? I thought they came free in boxes of cereal and with any purchase of more than 30 dollars from Lane Bryant.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I still have my ipod I bought in 2004, no warranties, still works.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

ditto amy

My 3+ year old, 80GB iPod broke last year, out of warranty, and they replaced it with a new one for $60.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i am coming up on 4 years with my 30gb video and it still works great, i love it!Never had a problem besides the occasional little glitch. had to reset it once.

I REALLY want a 120 or 160 though...NEED MORE SPACE
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I have had my ipod touch for a couple years now. it's still going strong.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

i would say a warranty would be a waste. but to all the anti-warranteers, youre a fool for not getting a warranty on something such as a laptop or expensive camera. apple care is the shit.
    Meow.Meow..Meow...

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
    i would say a warranty would be a waste. but to all the anti-warranteers, youre a fool for not getting a warranty on something such as a laptop or expensive camera. apple care is the shit.
    i think anything electronic you're spending well over $1000 on necessitates a warranty.

Spending $40 for a warranty on a year-old device that costs $150 new is just plain stupid
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
    by the time an extended warranty comes into play for a pc, they are already obsolete for me anyway. I just buy a new one. If it is number of years since it was new, you can go buy a used one of the same modle for about what the warranty was but again that's just me. I live on the edge anyway.... cr****

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I would get the extended warranty if it was something with a hard drive, because the hard drive iPods die all the time for no particular reason. Since Nanos have flash drives, though, you shouldn't need the warranty. I've had mine for like three years and it's still ok.

Apple purposely makes crap products/contracts out for crap parts, though. My iPhone screen is totally fucked up through no fault of my own and even with the extended warranty I'd be shit out of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I would get the extended warranty if it was something with a hard drive, because the hard drive iPods die all the time for no particular reason. Since Nanos have flash drives, though, you shouldn't need the warranty. I've had mine for like three years and it's still ok.

Apple purposely makes crap products/contracts out for crap parts, though. My iPhone screen is totally fucked up through no fault of my own and even with the extended warranty I'd be shit out of luck.
    I have never bought an Apple anything. I won a nano though. congrats on 9k btw mis ..... cr****

good point Ron.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Only buy it after your shit breaks (if you can hold off a couple of days or weeks to not be so obvious) if you just absolutely refuse and/or financially unable to move on to better things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.