Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The New York City Thread

Default Re: The New York City Thread

Terminal 5 is in Manhattan. Take the A/C, B/D, or 1 train to Columbus Circle as Alchemy suggested above.

oh excellent. So walking should suffice?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

It depends on where you are. If it's cold outside, I wouldn't recommend attempting to walk from Wall St. or something. Manhattan is 13 miles long, so not everything is walkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Any suggestions for a good restaurant on the west side somewhere above Houston and below 125th, which would be good for a party of 8 for dinner including one toddler, and has entrees under the $20 mark? I need help.
    And I gave in and went to Chowhound on this. Those people are hardcore about food like we're hardcore about music festivals. It's pretty impressive.

Was just at Terminal 5 for OMD the other night and the sound has significantly improved since I last went. Should be good for the run of LCD Soundsystem shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Museum recommendations anyone? I've only been to the Met and the Museum of Natural History.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Museum recommendations anyone? I've only been to the Met and the Museum of Natural History.
    What dates? It depends on the exhibits on display.

And also, do you have any preferences and specific interests as to type of art or subject matter? (I mean, I might recommend anything from the Jewish Museum to the Museum of Sex, it just depends on the person.)

March 31st through April 3rd. No preference really. Although, the Jewish Museum doesn't sound like something I'd particularly enjoy. The Museum of Sex on the other hand...
    Last edited by Gribbz; 03-13-2011 at 05:55 PM.

MOMA! Hello! (Museum of Modern Art) Will you be there on a Friday? If so, you can take advantage of Free Target Fridays. Meaning it's free on Friday's after 5 or so. I'd recommend getting there a little early to get in line. I got there probably right at 5 or whatever time it starts and the line was tremendous. It moved really quickly, though.

Also, the Whitney I've heard is great. And I really want to check out the Guggenheim. But I've heard it's a good idea to check on their exhibits 1st to make sure it's something you'll enjoy. Not necessary for MOMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

I agree with daxton that MoMA and the Guggenheim are kind of must-sees if you want to do the Museum-with-an-uppercase-M circuit.

MoMA has a large display area for their permanent collection, so you'll pretty much be guaranteed to see "famous art" if that's what you're into, no matter what the temporary exhibits are. During your visit, I think you'll just miss MoMA's Andy Warhol film stills show, but the AbEx show featuring Pollock, Rothko, de Kooning, etc etc will still be there. If memory serves me correctly, entrance to MoMA is ridiculously expensive (like $20).

For The Guggenheim, the "famous art" that's always on display is the architecture of the building itself (which is fantastic), and one big temporary exhibit usually takes up the majority of the interior space. However, as a cost-cutting measure, they've recently been doing more shows of their permanent collection, and when you're visiting that's what will be up: a sort of "best of" show featuring some of the most notable pieces from the vaults.

Personally, my favorite New York museums are The Frick and The Cooper-Hewitt.

The Frick is a pretty awesome old townhouse built by Henry Clay Frick around 1915, and converted into an art museum shortly thereafter. It houses his art collection, including a lot of European old masters stuff from the 1650s through 1900, like Fragonard, Titian and Velazquez. They currently have a temporary Rembrandt show on display. The Frick is a much smaller museum than somewhere like The Met or MoMA, and its intimacy is part of the appeal, along with the extraordinary collection.

The Cooper-Hewitt is pretty much the opposite: it's part of the Smithsonian family of museums, and houses exhibitions devoted to historic and contemporary design. However, right now they have jewelry and fashion exhibits up, so that might not be your thing.

In terms of good exhibits during your visit, I'd recommend checking out the Whitney and the New Museum.

The Whitney
    is another biggie art museum that approaches The Met or MoMA or the Gugg in terms of importance. It features American art, mostly from 1900 onwards. Right now, they have a mid-career retrospective on display of the contemporary American artist Glenn Ligon which has been largely well-received critically. Ligon works frequently with large-scale black and white paintings, as well as less traditional media, and tends to be drawn to themes of blackness and race identity.

And lastly, The New Museum down on the Bowery has an exhibit of Lynda Benglis work that I'm very excited to see during my visit. Benglis, who came to the peak of her career in the 1960s and 70s, works in nontraditional media such as poured latex, polyurethane and wax, and often addresses themes of gender and sexuality. She is most famous for the full-page advertisement she took out in the magazine Artforum in the mid-70s, which consisted soley of the artist herself, nude save a pair of sunglasses, holding a massive dildo out from her crotch (a response to the encouraged machismo in many of the most successful artists at the time).

Anyway, long answer to a short question. I know: TL;DNR. But that's what you get for asking the question around someone who worked in New York museums for years.

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    MOMA! Hello! (Museum of Modern Art) Will you be there on a Friday? If so, you can take advantage of Free Target Fridays. Meaning it's free on Friday's after 5 or so. I'd recommend getting there a little early to get in line. I got there probably right at 5 or whatever time it starts and the line was tremendous. It moved really quickly, though.

Also, the Whitney I've heard is great. And I really want to check out the Guggenheim. But I've heard it's a good idea to check on their exhibits 1st to make sure it's something you'll enjoy. Not necessary for MOMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I agree with daxton that MoMA and the Guggenheim are kind of must-sees if you want to do the Museum-with-an-uppercase-M circuit.

MoMA has a large display area for their permanent collection, so you'll pretty much be guaranteed to see "famous art" if that's what you're into, no matter what the temporary exhibits are. During your visit, I think you'll just miss MoMA's Andy Warhol film stills show, but the AbEx show featuring Pollock, Rothko, de Kooning, etc etc will still be there. If memory serves me correctly, entrance to MoMA is ridiculously expensive (like $20).

For The Guggenheim, the "famous art" that's always on display is the architecture of the building itself (which is fantastic), and one big temporary exhibit usually takes up the majority of the interior space. However, as a cost-cutting measure, they've recently been doing more shows of their permanent collection, and when you're visiting that's what will be up: a sort of "best of" show featuring some of the most notable pieces from the vaults.

Personally, my favorite New York museums are The Frick and The Cooper-Hewitt.

The Frick is a pretty awesome old townhouse built by Henry Clay Frick around 1915, and converted into an art museum shortly thereafter. It houses his art collection, including a lot of European old masters stuff from the 1650s through 1900, like Fragonard, Titian and Velazquez. They currently have a temporary Rembrandt show on display. The Frick is a much smaller museum than somewhere like The Met or MoMA, and its intimacy is part of the appeal, along with the extraordinary collection.

The Cooper-Hewitt is pretty much the opposite: it's part of the Smithsonian family of museums, and houses exhibitions devoted to historic and contemporary design. However, right now they have jewelry and fashion exhibits up, so that might not be your thing.

In terms of good exhibits during your visit, I'd recommend checking out the Whitney and the New Museum.

The Whitney
    is another biggie art museum that approaches The Met or MoMA or the Gugg in terms of importance. It features American art, mostly from 1900 onwards. Right now, they have a mid-career retrospective on display of the contemporary American artist Glenn Ligon which has been largely well-received critically. Ligon works frequently with large-scale black and white paintings, as well as less traditional media, and tends to be drawn to themes of blackness and race identity.

And lastly, The New Museum down on the Bowery has an exhibit of Lynda Benglis work that I'm very excited to see during my visit. Benglis, who came to the peak of her career in the 1960s and 70s, works in nontraditional media such as poured latex, polyurethane and wax, and often addresses themes of gender and sexuality. She is most famous for the full-page advertisement she took out in the magazine Artforum in the mid-70s, which consisted soley of the artist herself, nude save a pair of sunglasses, holding a massive dildo out from her crotch (a response to the encouraged machismo in many of the most successful artists at the time).

Anyway, long answer to a short question. I know: TL;DNR. But that's what you get for asking the question around someone who worked in New York museums for years.
    Actually, these are the type of responses I was looking for. Thanks to both of you.

Oh, some of those museums, like The Whitney and Gugg (I think) are pay what you can, or a suggested donation. Is that right Courtney?

Honestly, I don't know because as a museum-worker-person, I get in free to all of them. I do know that The Met is always pay-what-you-want. I think MoMA and the Whitney are free on Friday nights, the Gugg is free on Saturday nights, and the Frick is free on Sunday mornings, but that all may have changed so you should probably double-check.

Yeah, Matt, definitely look up admission fees and when/if they have free times. That might have some bearing on your decision. I wish I was going to New York sooner.

I have decided I'm going to New York after Coachella. Just thought I'd share
    I came here to drink milk and kick ass.
    And I've just finished my milk.

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    Yeah, Matt, definitely look up admission fees and when/if they have free times. That might have some bearing on your decision. I wish I was going to New York sooner.
    Will do. Have either of you been to the Tenement Museum?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    I have decided I'm going to New York after Coachella. Just thought I'd share
    Nice. First time?

Not I.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Will do. Have either of you been to the Tenement Museum?

Nice. First time?
    Yep! I'm totally unorganised and will be by myself so am kinda nervous
    I came here to drink milk and kick ass.
    And I've just finished my milk.

I'm a member of the Whitney and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and they're both pretty terrific. Courtney's recommendations are predictably excellent as well. The Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art is small, but it's a lot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I'm flying to New York on Friday, and will spend a week there. I'll be staying in the West Village, but I'll be all over town. Here's what's on the itinerary.

ART:
    New Museum/Lynda Benglis
    ICP/Wang Qingsong
    Whitney/Glenn Ligon
    Magnan Metz/Duke Riley

MUSIC:
    gy!be
    J Mascis + Kurt Vile
    E6 Holiday Surprise Tour

FOOD:
    The Spotted Pig
    Tam
    Keste
    Katz's
    Barney Greengrass
    The Shake Shack
    Cafe Sabarsky
    Nick's Pizza
    The Green Table
    'ino
    City Bakery
    Momofuku
    Balthazar
    Mamoun's

IF THE WEATHER HOLDS OUT:
    The High Line

SHOPPING:
    Opening Ceremony
    Christopher Brosius
    Barneys Co-op
    Lomography Gallery Store
    The Strand
    La Perla
    Industries Stationery
    Flight 001
    Aedes de Venustas

Oh yeah. I'll also be spending a lot of time just catching up with old friends, and whatnot. So excited. Any suggestions for things I'm missing, stupor & co?
    Last edited by Courtney; 03-16-2011 at 12:13 PM.

I always knew you were a juggalo.

Fucking photography, how does it work?

Hey, NYers, if you're ever feeling blue, remember that you live here....

(photo from this NY Times article)

serial killer?
    1L☮e.

It's last minute, but if any of you New Yorkers want to go to the Trail of Dead/Surfer Blood show tonight I have a free ticket for you. Get in touch.

omg dude i'm pming you.. i'll obviously throw you cash. i was going to just go and wait in line to see if i could get a ticket.

Going to be in town Friday and Saturday, anyone know any good shows happening? Excuse my ignorance but I don't even know where to start searching besides Terminal 5.

here's a pretty good place to start http://www.bowerypresents.com/

anybody going to Foals at Terminal 5 tonight? See you down the front

1L☮e.

I'm heading to NYC for James Blake next week at Bowery Ballroom, anyone have any record store recommendations?