Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The New York City Thread

Default Re: The New York City Thread

Shit. I came in here specifically to ask you to give a review of Four Tet after the show. I'm on the fence about seeing him later in the week.

Is anyone going to the Tibet House Benefit tomorrow night or the Animal Collective thing at the Guggenheim next week?

Still unsure about Animal Collective. I'll let you know for sure when I do, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Word, the best bookstore in Brooklyn is hosting a Nerd Basketball league!

That’s right, it’s time for nerds who love basketball to rejoice, because the WORD basketball league has returned! We’re starting the season a bit earlier this year, with pre-season kicking off in April, so the start-up meetings are pretty soon.

As with last year, we will require the following from those who would like to play: 4 out of 5 answers correct on a relatively simple test of your literary knowledge, a self-assessment of your basketball skills, a list of requested teammates (if you have one), and a signed waiver. So you’ll need to come to one of the following meetings to take care of all of that:

Monday, March 15 at 7pm
    Wednesday, March 17 at 7pm

Both meetings will be held in the basement of WORD. It is REQUIRED that you attend one of these two meetings if you want to play.

If you’d like to be involved, but have no interest in physical activity, that is fine! We definitely need people to help behind the scenes. In particular, we might need another ref and we definitely need people to help with keeping score and time. Also, one of our employees would like to start a nerd cheerleading squad. So if you’d like to join up without actually playing, just email stephanie at wordbrooklyn dot com.
    Any of my fellow NYC friends care to join me?

Please provide a flowery description of the cheerleader uniforms.

Also, any recommendations for Indian or Pakistani restaurants in Bklyn? Found out one of my roommates has never had Indian or Pakistani food. Not sure how that's possible, but I' going to right that wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    jewface is definitely the gayest one here, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    Please provide a flowery description of the cheerleader uniforms.

Also, any recommendations for Indian or Pakistani restaurants in Bklyn? Found out one of my roommates has never had Indian or Pakistani food. Not sure how that's possible, but I' going to right that wrong.
    Are you saying you're not going to join the cheer squad? Who's gonna put my *dunks on YouTube?

Jackson Heights in Queens is probably your best bet for Indian, and it may sound odd but Jackson Diner has a terrific Indian buffet. Just jump on the 7 train and you'll be whisked away. The whole neighborhood is very Indian, so it's a fun stroll, too.

I went to a great Pakistani restaurant in Manhattan a few years ago. I'll ask the friend who took me its name.

*heart attack

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Are you saying you're not going to join the cheer squad? Who's gonna put my *dunks on YouTube?
    No no no. Just saying I want to know the color of the uniforms first. Don't want it to clash with my whiter shade of pale complexion.

Jackson Heights in Queens is probably your best bet for Indian, and it may sound odd but Jackson Diner has a terrific Indian buffet. Just jump on the 7 train and you'll be whisked away. The whole neighborhood is very Indian, so it's a fun stroll, too.

Queens it is. I'll definitely be checking out Jackson Diner. I was asking my friend April, who lives in Queens for recommendations and Jackson Diner and Spicy Mina's were her top choices. Spicy Mina's is Bangladeshi.

I could do WORD basketball...it might create a legal conflict with my current Knicks contract though.

What's happening May 27th, 28th, 29th?

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    I could do WORD basketball...it might create a legal conflict with my current Knicks contract though.
    The way shit's happening with the Knicks these days, you might make the starting rotation before WORD kicks off.

I'm going to their first organizational meeting tonight, where I presume I'll be taking a literary test. I'll let you know how it went. The next and final meeting is Wednesday night, so if you're free either one of those times and want to give the "league" a once over, it might be worth taking the G to Greenpoint Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by cjamesgo8421 View Post
    If you check back in a month or so I might be able to give you more info. It's still kind of hazy that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by cjamesgo8421 View Post
    Sasquatch...at least the first day.

There's Glee Live! at Radio City...

Though, I think I'd prefer getting a root canal while listening to the Best of Steve Aoki.

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    There's Glee Live! at Radio City...

Though, I think I'd prefer getting a root canal while listening to the Best of Steve Aoki.
    Those shows are going to make a ridiculous amount of money.

They sure are. Blech!

Ticketmaster has two Terminal 5 dates already on sale for 5/20 and 5/21, get them while their hot Coachella board NY'ers!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00...1&minorcatid=1

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00...1&minorcatid=1

Those links are busted. What's happening at the wretched Terminal 5 on those dates?

Never mind, I found it - LCD Soundsystem.
    Last edited by stuporfly; 03-26-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Those links are busted. What's happening at the wretched Terminal 5 on those dates?

Never mind, I found it - LCD Soundsystem.
    Yeah, I just copy and pasted from the LCD thread.

Already got my tickets for the 20th! Also, is anyone going to Pere Ubu this Sunday night at le poisson rouge?

Did anyone manage to grab tickets for the surprise LCD Soundsystem show tonight? I'm trying to decide between taking my chances at that show or going to see Janelle Monae

so im flying back home from London on July 12th and i change plans at Newark Liberty International Apt. The problem is I land at 11pm and dont leave until 745 am. Should i find a place to lock up my shit and wander around at night or just sleep on the airport floor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Did anyone manage to grab tickets for the surprise LCD Soundsystem show tonight? I'm trying to decide between taking my chances at that show or going to see Janelle Monae
    I have friends on Facebook who are bragging about it and I hate them all.

so im flying back home from London on July 12th and i change plans at Newark Liberty International Apt. The problem is I land at 11pm and dont leave until 745 am. Should i find a place to lock up my shit and wander around at night or just sleep on the airport floor
    Wander around, but don't worry about finding a locker -- just check in super early and check-in your luggage.

Getting into NYC from Newark can be a bit of a hassle. If you really want to do it, come up with a game plan so you know you'll make it back for your flight.

If you want to meet for drinks, let me know - I might be convinced to come out late.

But he'll be coming back for a 7:45am flight, which means he needs to be at the airport by 6:15am or so, which means that he should leave Manhattan around 5am just to be safe, depending where he is. 5am isn't exactly rush hour. I would imagine that he could grab a $50 taxi which would be super easy, or just take NJ Transit, right?

I need to find an excuse to go to NY next month. PiL at Terminal 5 on May 18th and 19th, then LCD on May 20th and 21st. The two best sets of Coachella this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    or just take NJ Transit, right?
    dunno that this would work at 5 am? I mean he could check the schedules, but then you also have to figure out if the shuttle train from EWR to the main train line is running at that hour.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I need to find an excuse to go to NY next month. PiL at Terminal 5 on May 18th and 19th, then LCD on May 20th and 21st. The two best sets of Coachella this year.
    I'm trying to sort out reviewing that PiL show for someone so I can get free tickets. The pay is lousy, but the perks!

And I agree with you, Tom - NJ Transit isn't a desirable solution. For that matter, I just checked, and their earliest option to Newark from Manhattan is a bus from Port Authority that arrives at the airport a little after 7:00 a.m., which would be cutting it pretty close for our intrepid traveler. The Amtrak times from Penn. Station to the airport are similarly unfriendly to young men on the go.

A cab or airport shuttle might be Salah's only possibility, barring a change in departure time on his flight outta here.

Oh good call. This is why I should always defer to the locals. And Tom.

if I were there I would definitely cross the river to find and attend this:

It's tempting, though the poster features four words I never want to see side-by-side: Hosted by Matt Pinfield.

I know several friends going to that, it would be very cool. Having hung out in New Brunswick in the late 80's and early 90's (yes, I'm that old), unfortunately that dipshit Matt Pinfield was impossible to avoid. You'd leave one cool bar, The Roxy to get away from him, and he'd follow you to The Melody 1/2 an hour later.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is why you're a semi-employed cheetoh-munching fucktard.