Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: The New York City Thread

Default Re: The New York City Thread

I see you have the same problem with the black coming off of the bottle all the way on the left. That one really sucked.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

I looked earlier today and the national weather service bulletin said 6-10 inches of snow for NYC, as of 3:55 pm it says 10-14.

This might have been the wrong weekend/month/season to go to Syracuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Holy shit, you went upstate? Oh.... dude... why... You're fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

September is the only acceptable month to travel north of Westchester. You better be on your way back by October.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Holy shit, you went upstate? Oh.... dude... why... You're fucked.
    Not yet. Or, rather, we were planning on it.

We have a bus that leaves Saturday morning at 9 am.

seriously February is the worst month anywhere in NY much less CNY. Hundreds of miles of bare trees and dirty snow. It's dreary as fuck.

I lived in Arizona, I like barren.

But that doesn't mean it makes any sense to travel out of town for the long weekend.

Unless you have a compelling reason to visit Syracuse I'd say skip it. I'd imagine you do though because there isn't much interesting there in general regardless of season. If I were on a trip I'd invest that time seeing interesting things while still mobile in the city.

Now in the Fall that's a famous drive.

Going for a production of Sweeney Todd at Syracuse Opera, found a few other things to do and a hotel close to the theater. So compelling to me but, still. I guess I will be watching how the storm develops.

It also may be fun to wander around the snow-covered city here.

Hey, New Yorkers! I'm taking my first -- ever -- trip to New York in late October. It's a combo business trip/vacation. I have a few friends in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn so I'm going to be well taken care of, but I'd still be open to anything you guys might suggest. Beyond hanging with friends, attending a conference and some work meetings, I'll be doing the usual touristy stuff -- seeing some Broadway and Off-Broadway theatre, catching the NY Phil, visiting some landmarks like the Empire State (or Top of the Rock), walking through Central Park, attending a sex party, going to the Met or the Guggenheim and hopefully enjoying some great NY dining. But, beyond those obvious tourist attractions, any recommendations? Neighborhoods that are fun to walk through and take it all in? Restaurants you love? I'll be staying in Midtown East, but want to see as much of NY as I can. Cheers!

take the LIRR out to Jamaica station in Queens. get out there and walk the neighborhood. Be sure to wear nice clothes.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    visiting some landmarks like the Empire State (or Top of the Rock), walking through Central Park...
    Top of the Rock is totally worth it. Especially in the fall with all the gorgeous colors to see in Central Park from up above - but from the ground it will be equally beautiful. I hope you have an unforgettable time!
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Its been six years for me. a lot has changed.

I must have missed the tourist sex party last time I was in town.

What Broadway/Off-Broadway shows are you catching?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Hey, New Yorkers! I'm taking my first -- ever -- trip to New York in late October. It's a combo business trip/vacation. I have a few friends in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn so I'm going to be well taken care of, but I'd still be open to anything you guys might suggest. Beyond hanging with friends, attending a conference and some work meetings, I'll be doing the usual touristy stuff -- seeing some Broadway and Off-Broadway theatre, catching the NY Phil, visiting some landmarks like the Empire State (or Top of the Rock), walking through Central Park, attending a sex party, going to the Met or the Guggenheim and hopefully enjoying some great NY dining. But, beyond those obvious tourist attractions, any recommendations? Neighborhoods that are fun to walk through and take it all in? Restaurants you love? I'll be staying in Midtown East, but want to see as much of NY as I can. Cheers!
    Off-Broadway recommendation: Public Theater's Fun Home. It was amazing.

Enter the Met Opera's Weekend Rush ticket lottery on Mondays for a chance at $25 seats.

Food recommendations are overwhelming me right now; too many places to mention!

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I liked Grant's Tomb and still want to visit the Cloisters. I really enjoyed the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens but I went when the Jim Henson exhibit was on
    Current major exhibition (through Oct 27) is on Breaking Bad.

My favorite restaurant may be Totto Ramen. They do meal-sized bowls of hand-pulled noodles with fantastic broth. It's a small place with only 20 seats so there can be a long wait.

Empanada Mama is also great; I could eat their empanadas several times a week. The Brasil and the Greek Sausage Pie are my favorites. The Romeo & Juliet is my favorite dessert empanada.

I am excited to go back to Wechsler's Currywurst & Bratwurst which has fantastic sausages, fries and beer.

A friend recently visited and wanted to go to Defonete's Sandwich Shop after seeing the place on some TV show. I am glad we went; their sandwiches were delectable.

Recommendations and possible favorite restaurants still valid.

Totto Ramen is fucking incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    take the LIRR out to Jamaica station in Queens. get out there and walk the neighborhood. Be sure to wear nice clothes.
    Ha. And carry lots of cash, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Top of the Rock is totally worth it. Especially in the fall with all the gorgeous colors to see in Central Park from up above - but from the ground it will be equally beautiful. I hope you have an unforgettable time!
    Yeah, think I'd probably do Top of the Rock over the Empire State.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    I must have missed the tourist sex party last time I was in town.
    What Broadway/Off-Broadway shows are you catching?
    Haven't made the final decisions yet and because I'll likely take advantage of TDF and TKTS, I probably won't buy advance tickets for anything. I have about 4 slots available, but will be choosing from this bunch:
    • Broadway: Pippin, After Midnight, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, The Glass Menagerie, Twelfth Night, Once, Matilda
    • Off-Broadway and Off-Off Broadway: Bad Jews, Buyer & Cellar, The Commons of Pensacola, Domesticated, Natasha Pierre and The Great Comet of 1812, Peter and the Starcatcher, Sleep No More, The Vaudevillians, Fun Home

Off-Broadway recommendation: Public Theater's Fun Home. It was amazing.
    Enter the Met Opera's Weekend Rush ticket lottery on Mondays for a chance at $25 seats.
    Ordinarily the Met Opera would be on my list, but I have no desire to see any of the productions playing during my visit: The Nose, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Norma, Two Boys (which was widely panned in the UK) and Luc Bondy's poorly received Tosca. Would have loved to have seen Cosi fan tutte or Anthony Minghella's Madama Butterfly. Will have to wait for another visit.

And thanks for the restaurant recommendations!
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 10-10-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Yay. Just got to New York. In cab from LaGuardia. Awful stench about 2 mins out of the airport.
    ME: What's that smell?
    CABBIE: Welcome to New York

Anyway, soooo excited. Couple of quick Qs I forgot to ask my NY friends:

1. Any recommended/must-have New York apps for one's smartphone. Android, if it matters. I've got the TimeOut, CabSense, WayFinder NYC apps. Maybe a good one for WALKING through Manhattan as opposed to one focused on public transport?
    2. Midtown East restaurant and bar recommendations?
    3. Theatre district (or nearby) restaurant/bar recommendations?
    4. Restaurant/bar recommendations near any of these attractions - Met Museum, MOMA, Highline, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
    5. Favorite late night (open 2am and later) restaurants, cafes, bars etc throughout Manhattan?

Cheers!

EDITED TO ADD:
    Any good shows in NY this week? I checked Time Out and Brooklyn Vegan, but didn't see any concerts I'd be remotely interested in. Perhaps I missed something. The BV listings were overwhelmingly comprehensive.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 10-26-2013 at 12:24 AM.

I live in the Theater District. Totto Ramen (not quick) or Empanada Mama mentioned above are there. At any rate I would head west to 9th avenue and look for something that catches your eye/has space. Pure Thai Shop House, Island Burgers & Shakes, Delta Grill, Viv (Thai) and Ariana (Afghan) are all places I would highly recommend and on 9th between 47th and 51st (or so).

Another option would be UrbanSpace's Broadway Bites at 34th and Broadway and 6th (near Macy's). It opens Monday and should have some great food (last year they had a larger(?) set up in Meatpacking right off the Highline but that does not appear to be back).

I don't know anything about city walking apps, etc. When I am out I usually use Yelp and/or Google Maps but I would be interested if you hear of something. I don't really know the East Side other than the Pony Bar on 1st at 75th which is great for local/craft beer and (good) bar food, but that is a bit of a ways from The Met Museum, etc.

Oh My Rockness is the place to look for shows. And really, you're not going to see Steve Aoki next Friday at Hammerstein? I have tickets to Sparks on Monday and there's a bunch of other things I would be interested in but I am full up on other things.

And since this is the NYC thread I am seeing The Nose this afternoon, the Gotham Chamber Opera's Baden-Baden 1927 operas tonight, Two Boys on Wednesday and The Drowsy Chaperone on Friday, all walking distance, all on ticket deals that just came up. I love living here.

Ugh, I'm so jealous.

My only late-night suggestion and it's a touristy thing too would be Tom's Restaurant, but that's upper west side & not likely going to be on your destination list from what I can see. Have fun Rage, and remember sometimes you'll find the best places just by happenstance.

Oh and if you go to The Met don't believe the signs that say you have to pay $25. It's a trick.

VigoTheCarpathian

Check out Peter Lugers in Brooklyn

VigoTheCarpathian

Last time I was there alot the happening clubs seemed to be in meatpacking district. I had friends staying at the Ganzavoort which Is kind of like a standard with a rooftop cocktail lounge with dj and hip guest rooms

In the Lower East Side/East Village I like Evelyn on Avenue C at 10th. Great cocktails and drink specials.

But late night bars (like food) is very location dependent; there is almost always something great around where you are, wherever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Oh and if you go to The Met don't believe the signs that say you have to pay $25. It's a trick.
    The Met actually just got permission from Bloomberg to charge a mandatory admissions fee. (But I still doubt it will be changing the policy anytime soon -- there would be massive backlash and loss of major donors.)

VigoTheCarpathian

Damn, I payed to go in 2 days in a row

Bloomberg is a douche.

Thanks, all! Appreciate the suggestions.

This probably only applies to mountmccabe, but avoid A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder like the plague. It was like dinner theatre. But worse, because there wasn't any dinner. I had a comp from a friend who works for one of the producers and I still felt ripped off.

Some friends are coming in this evening so Tiffany and I waited in the cold for four and a half hours to get rush tickets for Waiting for Godot tonight, with Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Billy Crudup and Shuler Hensley. And because we didn't have any plans for this afternoon we also go rush tickets for Harold Pinter's No Man's Land with the same cast. This run has been extended quite a bit because of the high demand but next weekend is the end so I am glad we're going today!