Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: The New York City Thread

Default Re: The New York City Thread

I missed this! I will make some suggestions in the next couple days.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

You can see The Flaming Lips, Grizzly Bear, Grandmaster Flash, etc at Stephen Colbert's festival on the WWII aircraft carrier Intrepid on August 10th.

Oh My Rockness is a good resources for concerts. August does seem uncharacteristically sparse, though.

There are Broadway (and off-) shows you could see such as the Book of Mormon, Silence! The Musical (off), etc. Shakespeare in the Park's production of Into the Woods in Central Park continues for a few more weeks. Tickets are available by lottery or waiting from very early in the morning (incidentally this is how many cheap tickets for Broadway shows can be obtained).

The Mostly Mozart festival is going on if you want to see classical music.

I liked Grant's Tomb and still want to visit the Cloisters. I really enjoyed the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens but I went when the Jim Henson exhibit was on (they currently have a special exhibition on MiB 3). They also do film/TV screenings, so you could, say, see Cosmopolis with David Cronenberg or episodes of the Muppet Show or whatnot. There are other great films and screenings; I still haven't found a way to hear about them all but you can check out Nighthawk Cinema, Lincoln Center, etc if that is what you are interested in.

There are many lovely parks that may be fun to explore when the weather is nice; I have been to Prospect Park and Brooklyn Bridge Park recently and enjoyed my time.

I am rambling a little, there are so many things that it can cause option-paralysis. What might you want to do? What might you want to see? The list of things you saw on your last trip are cool but don't seem to narrow down your interests any, which is why my suggestions may seem all over the place.

I am going to be in NYC next week. Unfortunately, I will be busy with work stuff pretty much morning noon and night. John I will be in your neighborhood so if I get some free time I may call you out of the blue if that's ok.

I go home Friday morning which is pissing me off because I would really really love to go to Colbchella, which I didn't know about until just now.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    You can see The Flaming Lips, Grizzly Bear, Grandmaster Flash, etc at Stephen Colbert's festival on the WWII aircraft carrier Intrepid on August 10th.
    Yus! I've been checking the Colbert website for tickets to this but I'm not sure i'll get it.

Oh My Rockness is a good resources for concerts. August does seem uncharacteristically sparse, though.
    I scoured the site already and I agree.. I found the two shows listed in my sig. I'm excited. Seeing Screaming Females might just make up for the lack of shows.

Shakespeare in the Park's production of Into the Woods in Central Park continues for a few more weeks. Tickets are available by lottery or waiting from very early in the morning (incidentally this is how many cheap tickets for Broadway shows can be obtained).
    Ah, Thanks! That sounds promising. I did see something about Shakespeare in the Park while I was there a few years ago but I didn't know about the lottery system.

The Mostly Mozart festival is going on if you want to see classical music.
    Nice... $25 tickets are something that I can do.

There are many lovely parks that may be fun to explore when the weather is nice; I have been to Prospect Park and Brooklyn Bridge Park recently and enjoyed my time.
    I'm extremely excited about seeing the parks. I loved central park so much. I'm glad you suggested these.

I am rambling a little, there are so many things that it can cause option-paralysis. What might you want to do? What might you want to see? The list of things you saw on your last trip are cool but don't seem to narrow down your interests any, which is why my suggestions may seem all over the place.
    No, Not rambling. You're right, I didn't list any interests because I want to keep an open mind about the trip. I want to have as many different experiences as I can while I'm there (I'm from a fairly small city). I know that I want to go to the Nintendo Store... /nerd.
    Do you have a favorite place to eat in Manhattan? Thank you very much for your reply!

The Nintendo Store is fun! And depending on how that week goes I may see Screaming Females too; I have not seen them since I've moved to the area!

My favorite restaurant may be Totto Ramen. They do meal-sized bowls of hand-pulled noodles with fantastic broth. It's a small place with only 20 seats so there can be a wait.

Empanada Mama is also great; I could eat their empanadas several times a week. The Brasil and the Greek Sausage Pie are my favorites. The Romeo & Juliet is my favorite dessert empanada.

I am excited to go back to Wechsler's Currywurst & Bratwurst which has fantastic sausages, fries and beer.

A friend recently visited and wanted to go to Defonete's Sandwich Shop after seeing the place on some TV show. I am glad we went; their sandwiches were delectable.

Little dragon is performing at prospect park this sat. $3 suggested donation.

Also, Vanessa's Dumplings in china town are a must.

The Nintendo Store is fun! And depending on how that week goes I may see Screaming Females too; I have not seen them since I've moved to the area!
    *drool*
    The show last night was phenomenal.

If you guys see anything on this list from now to Sept 5th that's worth while please let me know. I'm not too familiar with most of the stuff that is there.. perhaps some research is in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by SDsoldier7 View Post
    Little dragon is performing at prospect park this sat. $3 suggested donation.

Also, Vanessa's Dumplings in china town are a must.
    I would have gone to this but I had plans already. *doh*

I still need to go visit china town and harlem. Thank you for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    *drool*
    The show last night was phenomenal.
    Awesome. I have been busy and was not able to go out last night. How are you enjoying your visit? What have you seen? What have you liked?

Awesome. I have been busy and was not able to go out last night. How are you enjoying your visit? What have you seen? What have you liked?
    Lessee..

Grand Central Station- Lots of tourists looking around taking pictures, not much to see there.
    Waffle and Dinges Food Truck- o.O
    The MoMA- Hit and miss with me. I liked the abstract art the best.
    St. Patrick's Cathedral- Breathtaking. I'm a non-practicing Roman Catholic. I've always been interested in Missions and Churches because it is a huge part of my Mexican heritage.
    Nintendo World Store - Ahahaha, the store was playing the soundtrack to SNES - Secret of Mana (which I just sit and listen to on repeat sometimes). And my bf bought me a Mug. They had some cool display cases of old Nintendo Power mags that I used to have.
    Taping of The Daily Show- Was pretty much what I expected.
    Walking the streets of Manhattan at night- Best! So easygoing.

Still need to visit:
    Central Park, The MET, The Cloisters, The Botanical Garden (Not sure which one to go to. There's one in Queens and one in the Bronx)...

After that stuff I may just trek back and forth to the parks and chill.

I appreciate your feedback, sir. Your city has been kind to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

There's also the Brooklyn Botanic Garden which is part of Prospect Park (sort of Brooklyn's Central Park) which is worth a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I wish!

I got drawn for tickets to see Shakespeare in the Park's Into The Woods tonight!

Reports from the previews was that it was still quite rough but it seems like things have gotten much better, tightened up. There is also talk of a transfer to Broadway in part because so many shows have been closing. And while there is something lovely about this production being outdoors that would also mean better lighting, sound, sightlines, etc so it should work better overall.

I will be in town for ATP, and looking for suggestions for places to eat after the festival around 2 am or later. What time is bar close?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Bars close at 4 am.

There are some great spots in the Lower East Side and the East Village. Hmmm I will think on this.

Where are you staying?
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 08-20-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Lower East Side off Orchard
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Katz's Delicatessen is open all night Friday and Saturday and is a good bet if you've been drinking. Spitzer's has a good selection of beers and decent food, though you won't get the latter past midnight. One of my favorite bars in the city is across the street from Spitzer's; Motor City Bar is a pretty low key dive, with cheap booze and a DJ spinning garage rock and soul. I've introduced several forum members to the place in the past, and I think you can even read TallGuyChris' review on Yelp! from a visit prior to ATP in Asbury Park last year. I'm also fond of Manitoba's, another rock & roll spot. It's owned and operated by "Handsome Dick" Manitoba, lead singer of the Dictators.

I'm pretty sure on the weekends Vincent's in Little Italy (Mott and Hester) doensn't close until like 4am. During the week its like 1:30 or something. Amazing arrabbiata sauce... probably the best I've ever had. Great place for a big dinner with friends or a date. Forgive their ancient website, they started in 1904. I don't think they are computer savvy.

I am at the UES Pony Bar which is very conveniently around the corner from where I will be seeing Janacek's Jenufa tonight. They have the Ommegang Witte today!

This would be a fine way to spend a Thursday evening...

THE BELL HOUSE - BROOKLYN, NY
    THU 9/20 7:30pm Doors / 8pm Show / $15 adv / $18 dos

NIGHT OF THE LIVING HEAD
    FEATURING
    KURT LODER
    ROB SHEFFIELD
    JULIE KLAUSNER
    MONKEES HISTORIAN ERIC LEFCOWITZ
    AND MORE!
    Join us for a salute to "Head," the trippiest psychedelic cult film of all-time. Written by Jack Nicholson and starring the Monkees, with guest appearances by everyone from Frank Zappa to Annette Funicello, this brazen and bizarre 1960s musical comedy must be seen to be believed. The evening will feature a screening of the 86-minute film in high-definition sound and picture, followed by a panel moderated by Kurt Loder ( "The Good, the Bad and the Godawful") and featuring Monkees historian Eric Lefcowitz (author of "Monkee Business: The Revolutionary Made-For-TV Band"), author and podcast host Julie Klausner ("I Don't Care About Your Band", "How Was Your Week"), author and music journalist Rob Sheffield (Rolling Stone), and other special guests. The ultimate tribute to a cinematic milestone, "Night of the Living Head" is the acid flashback you've been waiting for.
    ** Please note this event will be mixed seated & standing. Please arrive early for best seat selection.

Could someone please suggest a reasonably priced sushi place that is open somewhat late? We don't get in til 8 and the old lady says that's the one thing she needs to eat while there.

I have not been there but Jin is on Orchard at Broome (near Delancy). They're open until 1 am.

Restaurants in the area that I've actually been too and loved are Thai Son, a Vietnamese place in Chinatown and Wechsler's Currywurst & Bratwurst, a German sausage/beer house in the East Village.

Another place to consider is Proletariat in the East Village, a little bar that specializes in rare, new and unusual beers. Not cheap but damn. I had no idea what any of the beers were (the beer list changes frequently) but the bartender was eager to help us find options we liked.

MTA shutdown is on. Last runs on the subways will be 7 pm.

I am still waiting to hear what NJ Transit will do; will I be able to get to work tomorrow or what? And if I do make it, will I be able to get home?

Stay home!

We are now accepting applications for visitors to NYC during our next hurricane warning time. We had sonofhal in the city during Irene and we have Drinkey here now for Sandy! Must like good food, karaoke.

Grocery shopping was predictably chaotic this morning.

We are now accepting applications for visitors to NYC during our next hurricane warning time. We had sonofhal in the city during Irene and we have Drinkey here now for Sandy! Must like good food, karaoke.
    I formally put my name in the runnings. I enjoy good food, karaoke AND inclement weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

MTA shutdown is on. Last runs on the subways will be 7 pm.

I am still waiting to hear what NJ Transit will do; will I be able to get to work tomorrow or what? And if I do make it, will I be able to get home?
    Eeeeek. I hope NJ Transit shuts down. SNOW DAY!

Emergency water:

I wish we would have been able to purchase the metal ones.

I see you have the same problem with the black coming off of the bottle all the way on the left. That one really sucked.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b