Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The New York City Thread

Default Re: The New York City Thread

You know what it's going to be full of? Fucking cold. Cold cold cold cold cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Times Square blows 365 days out of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I'd still rather go there than a Gang Gang Dance show tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Cold, I can handle. I've been in Minneapolis in the dead of winter. I'm more worried about the sweltering heat of summer once I move out there. Anyway, might as well do it while I'm still a tourist.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    jewface is definitely the gayest one here, right?

I'd not recommend doing Times Square, Andrew. There are so many cooler parties and events going on in NY on NYE.

Anyone here been to the Mingus Big Band set at The Jazz Standard? I'm going next Monday. Really excited to see Charles Mingus' legacy project for the first time. Heard that they're amazing.

Hey, we'll be in NYC on the 16th and 17th of the month for the New Filmmakers - New York Fall 2009 showcase. Rick's movie is being shown. Come out if you can.

http://newfilmmakers.com/
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Congrats! A friend of mine is acting in a film being featured there. More deets on your friend/lover/Uncle/roommate's (?) film available?

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    I know it's going to be annoying and loud and crowded and full of drunken NYU students and smelly tourists but.... still might do it. Might.
    NYU students like to avoid Times Square as well.

Yeah, let me know when you actually get into town.

I saw Phish last night at MSG. They were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrichor View Post
    Congrats! A friend of mine is acting in a film being featured there. More deets on your friend/lover/Uncle/roommate's (?) film available?
    Fiance (Somewhat Damaged).

Actually, the movie is called Somewhat Damaged. It's in the last movie in the 6:00 block of movies being shown.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I'm gonna try to make it out for that. As of right now, I've got nothing on tap, so it's looking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Fiance (Somewhat Damaged).

Actually, the movie is called Somewhat Damaged. It's in the last movie in the 6:00 block of movies being shown.
    I'm 99 percent sure I'll be able to make this as well.

I have heard rumors that out there you guys can get NYG jerseys for like $20/$40 on the street corners instead of the $110 it would cost online. If this is true, would any of you be willing to pick one up and ship it to me if I send you the money via paypal or whatever?

edit: I don't really need it right away, in the next few weeks would be fine.
    Last edited by locachica73; 12-22-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I need to get back to NY soon. The weather wouldn't allow me to go this winter though.

So glad I escaped the snow storms in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

We had to drive through that shit on Saturday night after visiting my mother upstate. The worst conditions were in Manhattan, especially around the Queensboro Bridge. We also got that lane on the outside of the bridge proper, which was kind of frightening and surreal.

I feel bad for all the families looking to fly out of state for Christmas and New Year's.

I just flew out yesterday as well, happy my flight didn't get cancelled.

Is anyone going to the Yeasayer shows tonight/tomorrow?

Two things...

Anyone planning to run the NY 1/2 Marathon (March 21) or the big ING NYC Marathon (Nov. 7)? I just got my approval notice for the 1/2 Marathon in March. I haven't heard back on the full marathon yet. I've run 3 previous 1/2 Marathons, so I think I'll be okay with March, but I'm a bit nervous about my first full length marathon. Plenty of time to train, though.

Also, any NYers own a car? If so, why? I was prepared to rely exclusively on public transport, but I may need to bring my car. I move to Williamsburg in mid-March and if I can't sell my car for a decent price (not the best time to be selling a Toyota) I may bring it with me and eventually see what I can get for it in NY or NJ. I know it's kind of a nutty move, but I can get the car shipped over for $200 and my roommates tell me there's usually room to park nearby our apartment.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    jewface is definitely the gayest one here, right?

Two things...

Anyone planning to run the NY 1/2 Marathon (March 21) or the big ING NYC Marathon (Nov. 7)? I just got my approval notice for the 1/2 Marathon in March. I haven't heard back on the full marathon yet. I've run 3 previous 1/2 Marathons, so I think I'll be okay with March, but I'm a bit nervous about my first full length marathon. Plenty of time to train, though.
    I had notions of running the NYC Marathon, but my aspirations to eat another slice of pizza were far greater. It does go right by my apartment in Greenpoint, which is pretty cool.

Also, any NYers own a car? If so, why? I was prepared to rely exclusively on public transport, but I may need to bring my car. I move to Williamsburg in mid-March and if I can't sell my car for a decent price (not the best time to be selling a Toyota) I may bring it with me and eventually see what I can get for it in NY or NJ. I know it's kind of a nutty move, but I can get the car shipped over for $200 and my roommates tell me there's usually room to park nearby our apartment.
    I quite happily unloaded my car when I moved to Brooklyn. If you're moving to Williamsburg, you shouldn't need it. I've got a few friends in Brooklyn with cars, and they're always bitching about the cost, parking, etc...

I'm not in NY but I'm right accross the border in Bridgeport,CT. I'm betting I'm safer here than starting my own CT thread and being the only dick in it. Did everyone get snowed on today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dolo View Post
    Did everyone get snowed on today?
    It's still coming down in Brooklyn, and is supposed to continue through the day. It's warm enough that it's not really sticking to the streets, so it isn't likely to have the same impact as that blast from a week or so ago.

Last week CT didnt get shit. I couldnt understand what people were talking about. We had like 1 inch that stuck and we usually get hit harder than NY.

I live in deep south brooklyn near the Verrazano and I have a driveway, so I kept my car. Down there it's worth having.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    I live in deep south brooklyn near the Verrazano and I have a driveway, so I kept my car. Down there it's worth having.
    Good point - I should have added that my advice was based on his mentioning Williamsburg, which is fairly populous and crazy on the roads, and has a number of easily accessible public transportation options. But Brooklyn is a big place with many different types of neighborhoods.

BTW Crispin; I'm very jealous that you live in Brooklyn this weekend because the Golden Filter are playing a show there on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    BTW Crispin; I'm very jealous that you live in Brooklyn this weekend because the Golden Filter are playing a show there on Saturday night.
    I'll look into that - As it happens, I've got nothing on tap for Saturday.

Thanks for the tip!

I wish I could go to this, being my birthday and all. Boo.

Any of my fellow Knickerbockers planning on attending the Animal Collective/Danny Perez performance at the Guggenheim next month? I may be there in a professional capacity, so keep yr eyes peeled.

I could possibly be there. We'll see. I'm not sure I want to commit 30 dollars right now, but it does sound interesting.

I received a free ticket to Plastic Ono Band last night, and am attempting to go see Tinariwen tomorrow after Four Tet fell through tonight. Too bad school slaps the midterms on right now...