Page 72 of 536 FirstFirst ... 6768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 16069

Thread: Official Confirmed Artists for 2010

Default Re: Official Confirmed Artists for 2010

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    What if your name is not plural (Arcade Fire) but everyone adds a "the" anyway even though all your printed materials don't contain the article in the name? Should there be a "the"?
    Win butler says '' The Arcade Fire'', that makes that null and void.

old school

Smashing Pumpkins
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Not a plural so it doesn't count. It's meant as an action, a verb.

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    I don't see where you're going with this. The band is still Deftones.
    What im trying to say is that adding "The" to the band's name shouldnt cause the fans to get riled up and feel a need to point out the error.

Except that that's not their name. Kinda like The Blur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    haven't you seen Pretty Lights already? that would be a pretty easy choice if you have.
    You would think so, but it has been my experience that he gets better every time you see him. I've seen him 4 times by the way. The last one was just amazing.
    see you in '12

Still hoping The The The play.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Win butler says '' The Arcade Fire'', that makes that null and void.
    Nope, it doesn't. Long after Win dies all we will have is what's written down and what's official.

I can't seem to find the "the" on this album cover:

or this one:

If he said it then he said it though. I find that kinda strange he would say that but not write it down on the album covers or anything else to speak of. I'm guessing it doesn't make a difference to him. There are like 20 members in the band though, right? Maybe his brother hates the "the" and Win said that to spite him.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

It just usually (not always) sounds better to have a "the" with plural band names. "White Stripes" just doesn't sound right.
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

old school

The Battles

I remember when Battles first started getting popular and everone was calling them The Battles.

Boourns does have a point though. Sometimes it does just feel natural to put a "The" in front of plural band names, even if there is no "the" in the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Not a plural so it doesn't count. It's meant as an action, a verb.
    i agree, but technically Pumpkins IS plural, it's only Smashing that's a verb..

but i guess people could try calling them Smashing The Pumpkins..
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldragon03 View Post
    What im trying to say is that adding "The" to the band's name shouldnt cause the fans to get riled up and feel a need to point out the error.
    Okay. As long as you realize that is not what you were trying to say initially.

It is what i was trying to say initially; its not what i said initially.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    i agree, but technically Pumpkins IS plural, it's only Smashing that's a verb..

but i guess people could try calling them Smashing The Pumpkins..
    I prefer to call them "Formerly Great, Bollocks of Late".
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

I almost always say The Pixies but never The Cocteau Twins.
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I prefer to call them "Formerly Great, Bollocks of Late".
    Win.

I think The White Stripes just feels more natural because that's how we were introduced to it. It doesn't feel natural with The Beach Boys, or Annuals, or Black Lips, or Black Kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    or this one:

Check the spine.

[nerd]

Butler reckons "The Arcade Fire" sounds like it's specifically referring to the fire they're named after, whereas "Arcade Fire" is just the name of the group. Win does, almost invariably, introduce the band as "The Arcade Fire from Montréal" when they go on stage, but when he talks about the band in any other contexts, he usually just says Arcade Fire. As does Richard, he rarely bothers with the The.

They've been asked about it before, and they don't mind one way or the other. It doesn't really matter to them and they go by both. Which is fine for them, but it's a pain in the ass for my MP3 player.

Cocteau Twins, on the other hand, will only go by Cocteau Twins and get kind of pissy about it. See the very start of this interview for both details:

Last edited by MissingPerson; 11-18-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Boourns does have a point though. Sometimes it does just feel natural to put a "The" in front of plural band names, even if there is no "the" in the name.
    It also feels natural for you to put "are" after every band name, even if the band name is singular (and a collective noun, and a proper noun, etc...). That doesn't make it correct. Faith No More IS a band, Josh.

=)

I really hope Deftones don't play, because my guess is they'll be put on the same day as Faith No More and it'll turn out to be a huge tough guy fest like the Rage reunion did. I should have skipped that day altogether and will probably consider doing the same if the top lines are filled with bands geared towards the angry pit-starting demographic. Deftones > Faith No More > Muse is what one day night look like but haven't Deftones fallen off the radar in terms of immense popularity over the past few years?

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    Magnetic Fields should play Coachella, they have an album out in January.
    They rarely play festivals because Merritt has that hearing problem where even the slightest of sounds begin to reverberate painfully in his ear drum, hence why their shows mostly take place in intimate theaters and they urge people not to clap or cheer for his sake. They also use stripped down acoustic instruments, even when they did their Distortion tour because of the hearing problem.
    Last edited by somebodytoldme; 11-18-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    It also feels natural for you to put "are" after every band name, even if the band name is singular (and a collective noun, and a proper noun, etc...). That doesn't make it correct. Faith No More IS a band, Josh.

=)
    But "The Pixies is playing!" sounds retarded. While it's grammatically incorrect, sometimes it works better conversationally (especially with pluralized nouns as band names) to refer to the band as a group of individuals; i.e., "they".
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

"The pixies is playing!" sounds like a line from The Wicker Man or something.

The good Wicker Man, not the stupid bee one.

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Deftones are auctioning a pair of 3-day passes w/VIP to Coachella 2010 starting at $200.00. Nobody has bid yet.
    CoS took this info this morning and posted it as a rumor.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

LOL Whining from Monklish

You can start holding me to this slightly
    I'm more or less saying that these bands will be there:

1) As Tall As Lions
    2) Avett Brothers
    3) Bonobo
    4) Craze and Klever
    5) Deerhunter
    6) Devo
    7) Dirty Projectors
    8) Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
    9) El Gran Silencio
    10) Faith No More
    11) Florence and the Machines
    12) Fool's Gold
    13) Free Energy
    14) Girls
    15) Hot Chip
    16) Iggy Pop and the Stooges
    17) Imogen Heap
    18) Little Boots
    19) KiD CuDi
    20) Major Lazer
    21) MGMT
    22) Micachu & The Shapes
    23) Miike Snow
    24) Muse
    25) No Age
    26) Panda Bear
    27) Pavement
    28) Perry Farrell
    29) Phoenix
    30) Pretty Lights
    31) Quantic
    32) Sleepy Sun
    33) Spoon
    34) Tallest Man on Earth
    35) Tegan and Sara
    36) The Antlers
    37) The Dead Weather
    38) The xx
    39) Vieux Farka Touré
    40) Vitalic
    41) Yeasayer
    42) Zoé

Muse is headlining one of the nights. My gut feeling for the other two are Beastie Boys and Pavement. I love Pavement, but I would prefer seeing them get the Pixies slot and just try to catch them on their inevitable West Coast tour.

I wouldn't expect Lady Gaga to play. For the same price that it costs to book her latest show, you could have Tool, GWAR, and the Arcade Fire play back to back to back. You'd get the spectacle, the catchy songs and the bad makeup. Personally, I wouldn't be heartbroken if Gaga plays in the Sahara. She has some fun outfits.

-----------------------------

Here's my now annual boring whining section that's not recommended for those that only care about the lineup.....

I'll probably delete some of these between now and January as I find out that things weren't true or didn't work out, and then people will call me a fraud. People will say that I'm stealing "confirmations" from the Coachella Message Board because someone made a wishlist that said Yeasayer months ago, so that means that they thought of the idea of a band playing the festival first. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I am still on a Sabbatical from posting in the Consequence of Sound comments section, so just a friendly reminder on the same old disclaimer: It's not me. So, while there's the standard internet douches that like using my name on there, this year brings a weirdo who posts as me defending myself. Creepy, a bit, but it's better that they troll me (or fake me or some concept of me) over there than here, right? There is also some aggro dude that's kinda sorta defending me, but mostly just pointing out how much of the Coachella Messsage Board internet stupity has overflown to Consequence of Sound. Alex runs a pretty good site, though.

Last complaint. A few of the message board people are a really self righteous sounding. Internet communities are usually skewed demographics of normal society, but they really could use trying the "eat their own" approach to make things more accessible for outsiders looking for information. They attempt to be informative by offering the same services as Consequence of Sound's Coachella confirmation and rumor section, but every single effort devolves into unreadable garbage. Then they have the brashness to complain in situations such as one of their members finds a Billboard article on Google News that says such-and-such band is playing Coachella and Consequence of Sound posts this found information without citing them as the source instead of the Billboard article. When presented with my makeshift blog and Consequence of Sound's easy layout, is it any doubt why people would choose not to sift through their mess? (And yes, I'm aware that "everything is on the first page". If it was deemed newsworthy enough, stick the thread to the top of the message board, change the title to something similar to "2010 Rumors: Updated Nov 17th", lock the thread, delete all but the first post, and have a moderator update it). Damn, you all frustrate me when I try to figure you out.

For perspective, this is what we have on our front page:

Confirmed
    Devo http://themusicslut.com/2009/10/8-questions-with-devo/
    Pretty Lights http://twitter.com/theprettylights
    Zoe http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/espectaculos/93719.html
    Miike Snow http://www.examiner.com/x-17319-Chic...-of-Miike-Snow
    Craze and Klever http://amonly.com/default.aspx
    Aeroplane http://www.myspace.com/aeroplanemusiclove
    El Gran Silencio http://monterreyunder.wordpress.com/...oachella-2010/
    As Tall As Lions http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?...73&Itemid=2322

Heavily Rumored
    Pavement http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...vement_re.html

Muse (Begin US Tour in April)

Jack White in some form (said he might go to coachella on the vault chat someone took a screen shot here) http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...t=33601&page=8

Faith No More (Are apparently playing SF in April) http://twitter.com/Roddybottum

Iggy Pop and the Stooges (said he wants to play Coachella and it would fit into his schedule well) http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/20...oachella-frodo

Spacemen 3-Offer to reunite for $500,000.
    NSFW
    http://www.buddyhead.com/gossip-130-...ka-suck-pedal/

Echo and the Bunnymen-Touring West and East Coast in April
    http://www.bunnymen.com/#/news/

Vampire Weekend-Lediable said that they told him they were playing coachella after a show.

Hot Chip and the xx (touring together in April 16 in SF)

Tegan and Sara (spring tour does not include LA and stops in SLC Utah on April 6) http://teganandsara.com/shows/

Bad Lieutenant "additional dates in April" http://pitchfork.com/news/37101-bad-...ancel-us-gigs/

The Cribs-Johnny Marr said so after a show

Dirty Projectors (pancakes talked to them after the show and confirmed it)

Imogen Heap: wants to play and working on getting booked http://twitter.com/imogenheap/status/5180421079

Cornelius http://www.windishagency.com/avails
    looking for opportunities in Spring around anchor festivals

Avett Brothers (playing in Nevada the weekend of Coachella and stagecoach http://www.theavettbrothers.com/events

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros (Coachella Bound was told by the band they have an offer to play)
    I'll be curious to look back and compare the two.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 11-18-2009 at 06:59 AM.
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

The or no The?

Plural or not plural?

Can I reuse my $10 water bottle?

Will there be fresh milk?

Has everyone lost their minds?

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    LOL Whining from Monklish

For perspective, this is what we have on our front page:

I'll be curious to look back and compare the two.
    I have the right to complain.

I still love you Jen. PLUR