Being a fan of Weezer has been a bumpy road since I first saw the 'Buddy Holly' video on MTV when I was just a wee lad. I was really excited when I finally got to see them live a couple weeks ago, and they totally blew me away. Great set list, a ton of energy, and an all around good time. After that show I was even more excited to see them again, and that they had a new album coming out which meant they would have to tour.
My excitement greatly diminished as I read more about the album. First, it's called Raditude. Pretty retarded, but if the band came up with it just to fuck with people that would be slightly amusing, but...
Fine, the guy from The Office came up with the name for your album, but what about the album cover?...As for the album's title, "Raditude," Cuomo got the idea from a new friend, Rainn Wilson from the television series "The Office." "He has a super-rock persona," Cuomo explains. "When it came time to find a title for the Weezer album, I asked him what he thought the ultimate album title would be and he said 'Raditude.'"
Ok ok, so you could come up with an album title, or cover art, but you are going to write all of your own songs right? Apparently not...We always knew that Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo was into things like glaciers and volcanoes, so it's really no surprise that he should find the band's new album cover while flipping through the pages of a National Geographic. The magazine sponsors a reader-submitted photo contest in each issue. Nominees are selected by a photo editor and then featured on the website for open voting.
A couple months ago, one winning entry in particular caught Cuomo's eye. It's a shot of a dog named Sidney in mid-flight across a living room. Weezer thought, for some reason, it would make the perfect cover for their new disc, 'Raditude.' When the band got in touch with the winning photographer, Jason Neely of Middletown, Conn., to seek his permission, not only did he give his blessing, he also revealed something surprising: according to him, "Sidney is a big Weezer fan."
I am still excited about seeing them live again, but I think this may be a new level of creative laziness, or has Rivers Cuomo just lost faith in himself and his band?These are the names of the songs that have been confirmed to appear on the album, however the order in which they will appear on the album has yet to be announced. This track list is not complete.
* “(If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To” (Co-written with Butch Walker)
* “The Girl Got Hot” (Co-written with Butch Walker)
* “I’m Your Daddy” (Co-written with Dr Luke)
* “Can’t Stop Partying” (Co-written with Jermaine Dupri)
* “Let It All Hang Out” (Co-written with Jermaine Dupri)
* “Put Me Back Together” (Co-written with Tyson Ritter and Nick Wheeler of All-American Rejects)
* “Trippin’ Down the Freeway”
* “Run Over by a Truck”
* “The Prettiest Girl” (re-recording of “The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World” adapted from Alone II: The Home Recordings of Rivers Cuomo)
* “In the Mall” (Written by Patrick Wilson)
* “Sheila Can Do (It)” (re-recording of 1997 song written by Rivers Cuomo, originally intended for his side-project at the time, Homie.
* “Island in the Sun (Live)” Japanese/UK Bonus Track