Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Glasto from the eyes of a Coachella vet: tl;dr and TMI edition

Default Re: Glasto from the eyes of a Coachella vet: tl;dr and TMI edition

No offense, Frank, but it seems like you missed out on some basic packing beforehand. Like a tent. And a poncho. (I got one at Wal-Mart for 88 cents before Bonnaroo).

Good packing IS ESSENTIAL, people. You can get some of this stuff as small, packable items.

I love your reviews though.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    yes?
    I thought you could barely afford to come to Coachella. Plus you seem flaky about this stuff. I don't think you have what it takes. Prove me wrong. (and not in 3 songs)

hey ryan,, being a Barista is a lucrative career, im putting in my app now,,
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    No offense, Frank, but it seems like you missed out on some basic packing beforehand. Like a tent. And a poncho. (I got one at Wal-Mart for 88 cents before Bonnaroo).

Good packing IS ESSENTIAL, people. You can get some of this stuff as small, packable items.

I love your reviews though.
    I did not have enough room for a tent and sleeping bag. Was spending almost 3 weeks over there and running around taking subways, trains, buses, planes constantly so if it didn't fit in my suitcase or my broke ass carryon, I wasn't bringing it. Didn't find any double skinned tents at the store anyway. Next time, though.

Forgetting a poncho and flashlight was a serious fail, though.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Did they have any power charging stations?
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

I am going to attempt (on Sunday probably) the Baby Wipe Bath to see if I can stand that without open weeping for the remainder of the day.
    Last edited by HandBanana; 09-18-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Did they have any power charging stations?
    Just for phones and itouches and i guess devices that use the mini USB. Nowhere to plug in your own plugs.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    I am going to attempt (on Sunday probably) the Baby Wipe Bath to see if I can stand that without open weeping for the remainder of the day.
    Be sure to walk 5 miles on Saturday and roll around in some dirt to get an accurate feeling.

Really Stupid Question: are there cell phones you can even USE over there if you're American?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Most carriers work over seas with just a phone call to your cell phone company. Otherwise you can rent a phone. Verizon phoen's do NOT work in Europe at all unless they are like a Palm or a Blackberry or something fancy.

SWEET. Thanks.

I was over there for two months, got a cheap prepaid phone and put £30 on it and it was enough.

Wow. Glastonbury does look really incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Phones have to be dual band from what I understand. I bought one for 20 pounds and spent 20 or so more on texting. My Verizon phone never found a signal anywhere. If anyone needs a phone for Europe anytime soon, let me know, I still have mine.

Really Stupid Question: are there cell phones you can even USE over there if you're American?
    You have Sprint, right?

What I did, since my phone itself wasn't made for Europe, was call up Sprint and got a rental phone. They mailed it to me overnight (in the US) and it came with all the accessories, plug adapters, etc. Depending on the phone you wanted, it was cheaper or more expensive. Making calls were pricey though; they billed my Sprint bill.

But don't you have the Pre? I would guess it would work over there; that's just a call to Sprint saying, "Yo, I'm going to these countries. Make my phone work."

Yeah, like a ''go phone'' and cards with minutes arent available at a shop over there like here?

Friday

A most dreadful sound awakes me early Friday morning: heavy rain. Being unable to fall back asleep without going to the bathroom, I foolishly put on my shoes instead of my wellies* and hobble over to the nearby long drops while shivering like I have never shivered before as the wind and rain stab me repeatedly with microscopic icicles. After a brief slumber, I hear someone at the Peel tent telling Michael Jackson jokes. Are the rumors actually true? Throwing on my poncho, I muster the willpower to leave my tent to find out. I hear a few minutes of the first act to play in the Peel tent, General Fiasco, but am not impressed enough to watch their set because there is too much to do. Music? Forget that! Oh, and the field is a giant mud pit already.

Mud has arrived!

These boots are made for walking.

First on the agenda is getting a newspaper. Q releases a free newspaper three times during each Glastonbury and being a sucker for music memorabilia and souvenirs, I must have one. Inside the newspaper, Houston receives confirmation that the Michael Jackson has indeed passed. Before I had noticed that the mood was significantly more somber this morning and assigned the blame to the nasty weather, but now I get the feeling that the King of Pop is on everyone’s minds, including mine. Will Jarvis say something about his former nemesis?

Glastonbury food is better than other festival food. Or food in general.

Moving on to lunch, I score my first Growler of the weekend. The Growler is a legendary meal on the efestivals forum, and consists of a toasted baguette stuffed with fries/chips, bacon (British bacon is actually more like ham), and cheese, and it is sinfully delicious and well worth the inevitable carb coma. In the spirit of spending more money than I should, I take advantage of the services offered by Comfortable Crappers. For a fee of £2, or three passes for £5, one can answer the call of nature in a surprisingly clean portapotty. These crappers of dubious comfort apparently collect and separate human waste for later usage, as described on the information posted inside the stall, along with detailed information about why feces are brown and shaped the way they are. Gross.

In the spirit of giving, The Guardian has a booth set up where you can get a free tote/backpack hybrid for free with the purchase of one measly issue of their paper. Immediately taking advantage of their offer, I tuck away my new souvenirs in my broken backpack and head to the Chill & Charge tent. The long queue moves surprisingly fast and I only have to stay in the rain for a few minutes.

Even the recharge tent has a stage at Glastonbury.

Besides the obvious stage, Glastonbury’s recharge tent is fundamentally different from Coachella’s. In Glasto’s Chill & Charge, there are far fewer computers and the chargers are out in the open. Instead of leaving your phone to charge behind a counter, you find the table for your phone’s manufacturer and look for an available cord. The iPhone charge area has a massive queue, which unfortunately means no music for the ride home, but I am able to recharge my phone without a significant wait. While waiting for my phone to recharge and the rain to stop, a band whose name I forget almost instantly performs, and another one starts as I leave the tent to return to the most surreal place on earth.

N.E.R.D.

I arrive to the Pyramid stage area and settle for a spot at the back of a massive crowd that extends well beyond the rear speakers, and this crowd is enthusiastic for one of today’s “special guests”: N.E.R.D. In fact, they are so enthusiastic that there is a massive booing session when the band is unplugged (apparently they started late). I always treasure the moments when I see a band I am not particularly familiar with and find myself into it anyway, and N.E.R.D. gave me another such moment. While waiting for Fleet Foxes, a speaker over the PA tries to get people interested in the “no more nukes” cause, but it’s hearing songs like “Losing My Religion that make the wait bearable.

Fleet Foxes.

Fleet Foxes finally arrive on-stage and prove to be a perfect band for chilling at the back of the crowd. I am perfectly content kicking back on the grass enjoying those harmonies that are even more impressive live. Thank Xenu the powers that be booked them where and when people can actually see and hear them, unlike when they were drowned in sound by Thievery Corporation at Coachella. And speaking of Coachella, it feels a lot like Coachella whenever the sun peeks through the clouds, just not as hot. Direct sunlight equals frying, sweat, and sunburn, regardless of temperature, and I just realize I have forgotten my sunblock. Also, bugs are crawling all over my legs during a promising new Fleet Foxes song about sophomore slumps and diminished returns.

Lily Allen.

After Fleet Foxes, I have had enough of sitting in the back and summon the willpower to brave the mud pit to get a decent spot for Lily Allen. Walking through the crowd is a surprisingly painless procedure. People do not crowd as closely as they do at Coachella, but there are plenty of hazards to watch out for: deep mudpits with Wellie trophies proudly displayed, trash (very slippery on mud), bottles, AIDS needles, wasted people, etc. While playing rubbish hopscotch, “Dancer” plays over the PA and many people sing along completely devoid of irony.

Lily makes her grand entrance to the THX theme, and the audience is listening, indeed. Her set proves to be lots of fun, me being a sucker for catchy pop songs, singalongs, and cuteness. Lily is sporting a single glove as a tribute to the late King of Pop, and flashes a breast at the crowd as a tribute to his royal sister. Nipple tape keeps the incident SFW, and no, I did not see the third nipple. Since voters overseas can be as retarded as in the states, Lily dedicates “Fuck You” to the BNP.

Once Lily Allen finishes, I decide it is time to drink/eat/piss in preparation for Neil Young. Unfortunately it seems everyone else has the same idea. Leaving the Pyramid Stage from somewhere relatively close to the front traps me in an unbearably non-moving clusterfuck that tops any I had ever experienced. I am told that the exodus is worse than usual because everyone but me wants to go see Lady GaGa run around in ridiculous outfits under the guise of creativity on the Other Stage. While a crowd the size of all of Coachella’s is leaving the area, a significant crowd is pushing into it at the same time to see The Specials and Neil Young. One panic attack, two bruises, thirty minutes, and one hundred toe stomps later, I am finally out of the Pyramid arena and back at the Meal Machine, where I try the Big Dog, which is a Growler with sausage instead of bacon: good, but I prefer the Growler because bacon trumps all.

The Specials.

By the time I eat, get water and milk, use the creepy communal urinal, and walk back to the Pyramid, the Specials are well into their set. Never having been a fan, I am there to get a spot for Neil Young and there was nothing else at the time that I cared much to see, anyway. However, I find myself having fun watching their set while working my way up front. I make a note to myself to give their records another go when I return home, which is something every band that puts on a good live inspires.

Neil Young.

Thanks to my careful working of the crowd and the massive post-Specials beer/bathroom/other stage run, I am able to get twenty or so rows back in the center for Neil Young. Having never seen Neil but always wanted to, my anticipation and expectation levels are high. Fortunately, Neil does not disappoint. His voice sounds as good as ever, and he can really rock a crowd without resorting to the cheesiest of arena rock clichés (the extended “Rockin’ in the Free World” with several false endings is completely justified and fuck anyone that says otherwise). The legend gets as lost in the moment as me as his jacket slips off one arm and he does not bother fixing it or removing it: just taking all the other acts of the day to school. Unfortunately, his set ends too early at 11:50pm, leaving me wanting some “Southern Man” or “After the Gold Rush”, but I cannot complain when every minute of his set was brilliant. The ten minute versions of “Rockin’” and “Down by the River” (my new favorite Neil Young song) and a cover of “A Day in the Life” so good that it rivaled Paul McCartney’s performance of the song of songs at Coachella and destroyed the strings on his guitar, leaving Neil to finish his set with a couple notes on the vibraphone.

I am trapped in another clusterfuck following Neil’s set, and being completely drained, I head back to my tent for sleep, vowing to pace myself better the next day so I can check out Trash City. On my way to the tent, I hear Bloc Party closing their set and it’s already 12:30am, meaning it took forty minutes to get there after Neil Young, and it’s another ten minutes before I return to my tent and fall asleep with the realization that I have only met one Canadian and zero Americans over the past three days weighing on my thoughts.

*the mud still has not washed off my shoes
    Last edited by Boourns; 09-19-2009 at 02:18 AM.

The bathroom situation there scares me quite a bit.

I'm certain I would pay the 5 pounds for three uses of a clean port-o-pottie.

It was worth it.

Saturday (part1)

They sell everything at Glasto.

Both of nature’s alarm clocks wake me up at 6am on Saturday: freezing cold and the unbearable urge to piss. After taking care of the latter, I drift back to sleep only to wake up again at 9:30am to get dressed, packed, and ready for a long day of music and a long night of the unknown. My backpack’s second strap finally breaks and I have to repack everything into my Guardian tote bag, the straps of which seem to have been designed for children or small adults carrying nothing in the bag. For lunch, I grab another Growler, which is as delicious as the one yesterday, and after finding the new issue of the Glastonbury newspaper, I head to the Other Stage to grab some rail. Metric is playing at 1pm, and the next two hours cannot pass quickly enough.

The Other Stage is the second largest at Glastonbury and is comparable in size (stage and crowd) to the main stage at Coachella. Big bands play at night to help prevent the crowd from getting dangerously massive at the Pyramid, which is not a problem at Coachella. At Glastonbury, you will often find two headliner-caliber bands playing at the same time, with several other interesting bands playing the smaller stages at the same time, while at Coachella, the big names rarely clash and the painful conflicts are the undercard acts conflicting with each other or the main acts.

Broken Family Band

The first band of the day is Broken Family Band, an unfortunately mediocre band that does not really earn the right to solicit cheesy audience participation or their animal masks. Once they finally finish, a girl asks if she can have my spot at the rail for Peter Bjorn & John, the next act, I say sure, but she and her friend need to stick around for Metric at some place in the crowd. I also wish I had slept in another hour because plenty of rail became available after Broken Family Band.

Peter Bjorn & John

Peter Bjorn & John do a solid, but not particularly memorable set. Perhaps seeing Lykke Li and Robyn performing with them at Coachella spoiled me or maybe it’s the underwhelming nature of the new album, but the set doesn’t do much for me besides provide adequate entertainment until I get to see Metric. There is a smaller than expected exodus following their set, and thankfully I arrived early because I would not have been able to get rail for Metric otherwise. Is Metric big here after all? Being deprived of rail when I saw Metric in LA a few weeks prior, despite arriving several hours early, had motivated me to make the effort to get up front for Metric, so here I am frying in the sun to do it. Thankfully security is giving out free cups of water to everyone up front that requests one. I thought corporate greed put an end to helping people not die? Guess not.

Metric.

Metric.

Metric.

I am told that the big crowd around me is not there for Metric, sadly, but is camping out for Jason Mraz. Thankfully Metric always brings it live, regardless of venue and crowd familiarity, and despite this being my fifth time seeing them, it’s not the least bit tired. Unfortunately, since the girls and dragged boyfriends surrounding the front of the stage are just waiting for Jason Mraz, they look at me funny for going nuts in my own little world. I hope that Emily noticed the true fan PLURing out up front while she was dancing around in the sparkly number from the “Sick Muse” video. The setlist consists almost entirely of songs from Fantasies, except for “Monster Hospital” and “Dead Disco”, the latter of which gets the mostly unfamiliar audience bumping.

Surrendering my rail for Jason Mrazians, I depart the Other Stage in search of batteries. The last of my AA’s died during Metric and I need some for the next act on my agenda: Emmy the Great. Having never seen Emmy, I am really looking forward to her set. A vendor sells me some overpriced generic batteries and as I walk to the Queen’s Head, I notice the ground is significantly dryer thanks to the sun being out and shining brightly all day. Sure, it’s still muddy on the main pathways, but the ground fine everywhere else. Wanting to get out of the sun, I duck inside the Queen’s Head tent and watch Peggy Sue & the Pirates.

Peggy Sue & the Pirates

Now that I’m inside the tent, I figure I might as well just stick around to get a good spot for Emmy the Great. Peggy Sue & the Pirates give a solid set that helps pass the time until Emmy, as does Fyfe Dangerfield (another secret act), but not so much Broken Records. All I feel during Broken Records is my freshly sunburned flesh. Sunburn at Glasto? It happens if you’re under the sun at high noon with no shade and no sunblock! Emmy the Great apparently has a loyal fanbase, since I am not the only person that camped out for a spot. Still, rail is available fifteen minutes before her set, just not in the center.

Fyfe Dangerfield

Unfortunately the pack of batteries I purchased turns out to be a complete waste of money. These things are so weak that my camera only turned on for long enough to take a photo thrice, and I was not able to adequately zoom or focus. Here I am ten feet away from the stage about to see Emmy the Great without a working camera. Sad panda. Sure, I knew generic batteries are crap when I bought them, but they are supposed to actually work, just for half as long.

Emmy the Great.

One question that has been in my mind all weekend is how someone armed with an acoustic guitar and singing about buttsecks would translate in a festival setting, which remained unanswered when Emmy the Great took the stage because she brought a full band and two backup singers. Emmy truly lives up to her namesake as she performs songs from her debut First Love. So much, in fact, that I tell someone “more like Emmy the Incredible” in between songs, to which Emmy says “I like you!” And then she says that she likes my Animal Collective shirt (which had been purchased from a sketchy bootlegger for $5 a month prior during the best night ever) and asks if I saw them last night. As I am putting together a reply, Emmy gets back to playing, but sees that I am about to speak, to which I say “go on, I’ll tell you later.” Sadly, I never get to tell her that I had seen Animal Collective a month ago and had never seen Neil Young, which is why I missed them. But fortunately, my mini-sign requesting a setlist at the end of the set is acknowledged with an unprecedented level of class. Emmy grabs a couple setlists and picks and jumps down and hands me one, high-fives me, and stays to chat for a few minutes with us fans until security tells her to leave. And unfortunately, this is the absolute worst time to have a dead camera because no camera means no photo with Emmy. Sadder panda. She tells me that she will be performing again after midnight at some campfire at Arcadia and that she would love to play California again. She tells me she did one show last year at the Roxy, but I was not in town for it.

Emmy the Great setlist, which was not followed.

Don’t laugh, it worked.

Not Little Boots.

Wat.

Oriental? Is this still the 60's?
    Last edited by Boourns; 11-08-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Coming whenever I can from the road: Trash City, The Boss, another dose of Emmy the Great, the battle of tights featuring Karen O vs Natasha Khan, Nick Cave, Blur, Blur, and did I mention the fucking Blur reunion?

I hope you stayed up to watch the sunrise. I have no idea how I'm doing it in 2010 seeing as I'm unemployed and broke but I somehow am going to do it again. Buying my ticket on the 4th.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Nice pics of Emily, and awesome story about Emmy. She sounds classy.

Nice pics of Emily, and awesome story about Emmy. She sounds classy.
    Definitely

And according to her blog, she was out in the fields getting up front for Jarvis Cocker and Blur. Awesome.

I love that Metric is playing Monster Hospital again. I need to see them soon.

It might have been Live It Out, my memory is fuzzy. Both got played at the Wiltern.

Boourns, I'm glad you had a good time, but so far this thread of doing a great job of convincing me that I would hate Glastonbury. My bank account thanks you.

Thanks Boourns. It sounds like this elitist/hipster-free festival is totally for me. If there are elitist hipsters, "I don't want to get dirty" going to this, I want to see how they die.

A. Best fucking thread ever.

B. Are Wellingtons a boot that goes OVER your shoe? Do they breathe? DO you end up with skanky hooker feets?

C. Do British women get turned on by American accents liek we do Brit ones? Glasto hookups would be lovely.