Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Glasto from the eyes of a Coachella vet: tl;dr and TMI edition

Default Re: Glasto from the eyes of a Coachella vet: tl;dr and TMI edition

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    you have a knack for writing. this would have been an awesome piece in an online/print publication.
    Really? Thanks. I don't know who would want to publish this, though. All the comparisons to Coachella make the audience too narrow, I mean. That stuff could always be trimmed out, though.
    Last edited by Boourns; 09-22-2009 at 06:23 AM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

old school

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    Can you elaborate on why you were so unprepared for this? No wellies? No tent? No batteries?

Was it a logistical issue with the fact that you can only take so much with you or was it more of you just didn't have the time or what?

How come you didn't get money in London or Brixton or wherever, anywhere but at the actual festival?
    someones brain is fried.

hey e-tard, maybe actually read the thread before you drool on it?
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

What a great thread. Thanks for all the tips and pointers you are providing!

How long before the event date do they announce the line up? If I remember correctly it was released about a month before this last year. Is that usually the norm?

Yeah, that's the norm, but they did announce the headliners well ahead of time. A lot of acts on the lineup were total surprises (did not expect Metric and YYYs) but others had already leaked (Jarvis, Bat for Lashes, etc).
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Sunday

The antibiotics are ruining me. I have had to go to the bathroom at 2am, 4am, 6:30am, and now 9am. Getting a late start on the day, I stumble out of my tent saddened over the fact that this is the last day of Glastonbury. But on the bright side, Sunday easily has the best lineup of the weekend. So many bands to see and so little downtime. I do manage to get today’s newspaper and stumble upon the booth that sells band merchandise, finally. Surprisingly, no CD’s or records are available and only some bands have merchandise available, understandable due to the overwhelming number of acts performing over the weekend. I spy a really cool Bat for Lashes t-shirt but decide to save my money and buy one when I see her two months later in Hollywood. The blue milk carton Blur shirts are sold out, and what’s left isn’t too thrilling: the Best Of cover on the front with “2009 tour” on the back, and another shirt with the dog. I inquire about Emmy the Great merchandise, since I will never see any at another show, but am denied. I can’t haz merch.

We Have Band.

After a quick lunch I head to the John Peel tent for an extended stay. Not only is Emmy the Incredible doing another set, but another act that has done multiple sets throughout the weekend is performing and there is a lot of hype: We Have Band. The first band I see is Wave Machines, and the set turns out to be unfortunately “meh” and forgotten after about ten minutes. Next is We Have Band, a disco rock trio that won an emerging talent competition of some sort and therefore gets to play Glastonbury. Fortunately they are an engaging live act and live up to the hype.

Twisted Wheel.

After We Have Band, more people than usual stick around inside the tent. I am told that the next act, Twisted Wheel, opened for Oasis recently, so a lot of their fans are here to check them out. The crowd is wild for Twisted Wheel, and some of those legendary flags make their way inside the tent to obstruct the view of everyone behind them, making this the first time I see a flag in a small crowd the whole weekend. Flags litter the Pyramid arena all weekend, especially during the main acts, and also the Other Stage, but the tents? That’s a first. Twisted Wheel combine tired old school rock with tired post-punk rehashing into something I don’t care for, but clearly I am the only one since several crowd surfers fly over my head.

Emmy the Great.

Emmy the Great.

The John Peel tent has twenty feet between the rail and the stage, despite the tent itself not being very big. I estimate it to be equivalent in capacity to Coachella’s Mojave Tent, which holds a few thousand people, but wider and not as long. So because of this distance, none of the photos I am taking are turning out as well as the ones I could have taken yesterday in the more intimate Queen’s Head. Emmy the Great is just as impressive the second time around, and the longer set is much appreciated. She comes out wearing some sort of John Peel t-shirt and tells us where to buy them and it’s for some sort of charity, and then leaves the shirt hanging from the microphone for the rest of the set. Hopefully she will bust out “Two Steps Forward” if she ever plays America again because it didn’t surface at either set.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

After my extended stay in the tent of Peel, I grab some water for the next couple hours and head to the Healing Fields, but on the way I pass the Other Stage, where I hear Enter Shikari announce the next song as their last. Wait, what? According to the set times, their awful noise is not scheduled to end for another half hour. Canceling my plans, I work the crowd from the left side and once they finish their final musical abortion I am able to get in the second row for Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It turns out that most acts on the Other Stage had to start a half hour early because the original set times only allocated an hour for Bon Iver to play and to set up for the act following him. Oops. Thankfully I was in the right place at the right time, eh?

Conditions are quite miserable waiting for Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It had briefly rained during Enter Shikari, adding mugginess to the already hot and squishy overcrowded conditions up front. Everyone wants to get a good view of Karen O’s latest costume, and Karen makes it worth their while with an elaborate headdress made of hands. Some old school fans complain that her antics are not as crazy as they were back in the day now that she performs sober, but her voice sounds much better live nowadays. And she sure can wail that “AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTT SSSSSTTTTAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!” Closing the set with “Date with the Night”, Karen and Nick smash their microphone and guitar together repeatedly until both are destroyed, resulting in a wonderful noise.

vs.

The Battle of the Tights Round 1: Karen O vs Natasha Khan

Bat for Lashes.

Thankfully someone leaves the rail so I get something to lean on while waiting for Bat for Lashes. Before the set begins, my Coachella 2004 shirt attracts some attention as two girls behind me freak out over the lineup and express a desire to see Prince headline the Pyramid stage. A really drunk kid tells me that he would piss all over Glastonbury to attend Coachella and that it is his dream in life to attend. Also, that America has the greatest system of government in the world and that Britain does not have an actual constitution. He tells me these things several times while expressing his need to be on the rail to see Karen O, despite their set being long over. It turns out the couple next to me is from America. Finally! Other Americans!

This will be my first time seeing Bat for Lashes, and I have been listening to her/them a lot over recent months, especially while walking around in Prague, and I do not know what to expect from a live show. What I get is something truly amazing. Natasha’s voice is one of those rarities that is far more powerful live and her band contribute greatly to the hour of pure mesmerization. How often do we get to see a band use a timpani and a marxophone? Not nearly often enough. The crowd goes the most wild for “Daniel”, with guys in Karate Kid costumes sitting on shoulders like groupies flashing Bon Jovi. I consider stealing this costume idea for when I see BFL again.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

It takes seventy-five minutes to leave the Other Stage, walk to the Healing Fields for one final visit to the pay portapotties, walk back to the area between the Pyramid and Other stages to get the final delicious Growler of the weekend (they hook me up with an extra loaded one this time because I like them so much), get some water, and get to the Pyramid stage for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. I arrive just in time to hear the very end of “Red Right Hand”, the only Nick Cave song I know. Yes, that’s bad, but researching his discography got lost in the stressful shuffle of getting ready for a trip to Europe. I deeply regret this slip because he is yet another incredible live performer.

Apparently there is no shame in being a “that guy” at Glastonbury. Half the crowd during Nick Cave is sporting a Glastonbury 2009 shirt already, but this is understandable, because I already had run out of clean laundry thanks to the hostel screwing me out of detergent. Also, people love their rolling papers. However, a significant and large number of people in Europe actually use them for rolling cigarettes of tobacco, as opposed wacky tobaccy.

Once Nick Cave finishes, it becomes clear that plenty of people have been waiting it out for Blur. Fewer people than usual leave, but everyone is rushing the stage. This pre-Blur push is easily, and by far, the worst I have ever felt. Is this what it was like for the Rage Against the Machine reunion? Okay, that is probably an exaggeration but what do I know? I stayed in the very back of the crowd for that show.

Blur.

Finally, the big reunion of the weekend begins as Blur takes the stage ten minutes earlier than the other headliners. After the most rapturous reception I have heard all weekend, if not ever, the band launches into “She’s So High.” One minute into the set and it is already painfully obvious that the media have underestimated and underreported this reunion. A massive mosh pit breaks out for “Girls & Boys” that makes me fear for my life even more than when my midsection broke the fall of someone that some skinheads picked up and threw during The Mars Volta. But you know what? What a way to go.

Blur.

Blur breaks out all the hits and gems, from “Beetlebum” to “Trimm Trabb” and the crowd has clearly not forgotten about Blur during their hiatus: every song is a sing-along. The biggest singalong of the entire festival and my concert-going history turns out to be “Tender.” In a beautiful Glastonbury moment, a group of strangers pulls me into their circle and we all sway back and forth, arms around one another, singing along at the top of our lungs for the next ten minutes. Tender singing surfaces again as everyone does it during the encore breaks.

Damon breaks down.

Oasis versus Blur? How was that even a competition? Pulp versus Blur? Now that’s a cromulent matchup because unlike Oasis, Blur and Pulp actually matured and evolved as artists and did something besides recycle the same album of Beatles-esque stadium ballads over and over again. It was great the first two times, sure, but after 1995 everything was rubbish. Moving on…

Blur.
    Once Blur’s legendary two hour set comes to a close, people still want to sing “Tender” and who can blame us? The march back to my tent is the saddest one I have ever had to make. The trip to the musical equivalent of Mecca has essentially come to a close. Sure, I can go to the party areas again, but I prefer to absorb and reflect on the memories gained over the weekend, especially Blur. Plus I am beyond exhausted and have to get up early to catch the bus back to London. It takes forever to vacate the Pyramid due to the usual traffic. One person has the brilliant idea of stripping completely naked, which forces everyone to run away and give him some breathing room. Eventually I find my tent and sleep for the last time at the most magical place on earth dreaming of one day returning.

Next: Monday Mourning.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Sunday

The antibiotics are ruining me. I have had to go to the bathroom at 2am, 4am, 6:30am, and now 9am.
    sounds like a little urinal you can get for bedside use in a hospital would come in handy. just piss in that overnight and dump it in the morning. unless it's the shits...

More awesomeness with this post.

Dude. PLEASE tell me you talked to Emmy after that set too. I think you have a shot at her since she was talking to you at the 1st set!

I know you've heard it a bunch, but I've really enjoyed reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by WizardIsAboutToDie View Post
    More awesomeness with this post.

Dude. PLEASE tell me you talked to Emmy after that set too. I think you have a shot at her since she was talking to you at the 1st set!
    She didn't come down after that set. I thought about flashing a new sign from my moleskine, but the distance would have been too great to be able to read it from the stage, probably.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

should we discuss the upcoming onsale in this thread, or keep this strictly to boourns' odyssey and have practical discussions in the other glastonbury thread?

Glasto sounds like one hot mess
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

Haha, yeah, pretty much. But it's like how burgers are best when so messy that they'll ruin your shirt.

Monday

ďDo you see me? Iím in the twelfth queue from the right.Ē

Morning unfortunately comes and with it one last batch of rain: just enough to make the path back to the festival gates muddy. On my way out, I purchase a couple copies of Qís special Glastonbury review issue. Yes, on the way out of the festival you can buy a magazine full of photos and information about everything you just saw. Sunday has limited coverage, obviously, but somehow a Blur photo made it to the presses in time. Very cool. I also purchase a copy of The Guardian, which comes with a gigantic pack of baby wipes, for yet another Glastonbury review. Itís unanimous: everyone says 2009 was the best Glastonbury ever. Michael Eavis says so every year, but itís still apparently true. Is every year just simply better than the last? Probably.

Once the first 1pm coach back to London takes off, I look at the massive farm one last time and discuss everything I saw with the girl sitting next to me with a combination of excitement and longing. I already miss it. Glastonbury has proven to be a place like no other; often imitated, but never duplicated. Thereís something for everyone here regardless of tastes or even age. Anyone can enjoy a favorite band of theirs, discover a new one, and most importantly, experience a whole weekend full of fun, magic, insanity, filth, spirituality, debauchery, whimsy, whatever you could possibly imagine and then some. Hell, even the laws of time, space and physics in general donít apply. Itís almost as if Glastonbury is a sentient being with its own plans for each and every person, no matter how much you might resist.

I depart Pilton with a desire to return again as soon as possible that is so overwhelming, that it dwarves any and all anticipation and excitement I had before attending the first time. Glastonbury is something that cannot be truly comprehended with mere words, photos, or even movies. It is something that must be experienced, and then experienced again to do things differently and see that which was missed the last time, and again because it is never the same beast twice.

People always say the most unbelievable weekend of your life can be had without watching a single band since thereís so much going on at Glasto, and itís so true. What would make an interesting read is if someone does just that someday and writes a full report. I question if I am that strong, but if anything could tear me away from worming my way up front for my favorite bands with ease, it would be all that Glastonbury has to offer.
    Last edited by Boourns; 10-05-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

This is so awesome that I felt sad when I got to the end.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

ó Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    should we discuss the upcoming onsale in this thread, or keep this strictly to boourns' odyssey and have practical discussions in the other glastonbury thread?
    We should move it back to the other Glasto thread and leave this one in peace.

What an excellent excellent review, Franky. I feel like I was there (almost) and you do indeed have some balls to do this all on your own but it was a great test of character for you. One year you really need to make it out to Bonnaroo, its not nearly as massive and epic as Glasto (but what is?), but it really is its own entity. You would love it
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Bravo Frank! If we had "Thread of the Year" this one should definitely be nominated.

I just realized that I only printed up till Thursday (part 2).

So addicting. Printed out the remaining portion for tonight.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    Other Glasto thread...

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post

What an excellent excellent review, Franky. I feel like I was there (almost) and you do indeed have some balls to do this all on your own but it was a great test of character for you. One year you really need to make it out to Bonnaroo-
    Salah, I'm really happy for you, and I'm gonna let you finish, but Glastonbury is one of the greatest festivals of all time. Of ALL TIME!

Sorry, everyone.

old school

Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy75 View Post

It's a trap

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Salah, I'm really happy for you, and I'm gonna let you finish, but Glastonbury is one of the greatest festivals of all time. Of ALL TIME!

Sorry, everyone.
    How very topical of you, Gonsh!
    Last edited by sbessiso; 09-23-2009 at 06:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Frank, that was such a great read! The end was sad and easy to relate to since the ending to all festivals is a sad time for me. I really enjoyed all of your photos and details (length of time it took to walk from point a to point b, description of food, etc). Not sure if I'll ever be able to make the trip but after reading this I know it will be quite the adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

What I've enjoyed reading so far is his sense for adventure. Despite the spurts of bad luck, he made the best of the situation and it payed off.

I hate talking to people who tell me that they've visited so California, as an example, and they talk about the same damm places: Hollywoood & Highland/In and Out. People never do their homework in advance or just stay in a specific area.

Though I haven't completed reading everything, it's been fun to walk in his shoes throughout everything.

For some reason, that photo of the tent had me laughing so hard last night.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

i hope somebody reads this and offers you a job with a magazine/blog/newspaper/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
    i hope somebody reads this and offers you a job with a magazine/blog/newspaper/etc.
    If anyone knows anyone, feel free to send them a link

This was seriously incredible Frank. The details were absolutely astonishing. Thank you!!

wow, that was such a great review. I really feel like I have to make it happen this year more now than ever after reading your review.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinken View Post
    wow, that was such a great review. I really feel like I have to make it happen this year more now than ever after reading your review.
    Glad to hear. Make it happen.

I fell asleep and didn't even start this last night. Tonight for sure.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon