Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Convince Me I'm Wrong In Three Songs" thread

Default Re: The 'Convince Me I'm Wrong In Three Songs" thread

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I think I would then point you towards the non-Cale records.

Pale Blue Eyes

New Age

I Can't Stand It
    Are we assuming Brad has already heard and discarded "Sweet Jane" and "Rock and Roll" and "Oh Sweet Nuthin'"?

Tom, I need album suggestions for The Replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Tom, I need album suggestions for The Replacements.
    limiting it to three songs - this is where it gets difficult for me. but here goes.

"Unsatisfied" - in my mind the quintessential 'mats song. everything they were about distilled into 4 minutes.
    youtube of Westerberg doing this song solo in 2002. cant' find a good band youtube.

"Here Comes a Regular" - Westerberg paints such a great scene here. I have a picture in my mind of what the bar looks like.
    youtube westerberg solo again

"Can't Hardly Wait" - fun fun fun pop song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdSdTBs3l4 the album version has horns, this one does not.

it pains me to leave out "Take Me Down to the Hospital" and "Alex Chilton" and "I Will Dare" and "Androgynous" and..

Exclamation Re: The 'Convince Me I'm Wrong In Three Songs" thread

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Are we assuming Brad has already heard and discarded "Sweet Jane" and "Rock and Roll" and "Oh Sweet Nuthin'"?
    I easily could've put "Rock and Roll" in there in place of "New Age" to give a slightly different range but it was more a "gah, only three songs?" thing which was tough even after limiting it to two albums and associated effluvia.

Damn fine choices on the Replacements, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Lets see, someone please convince me I'm wrong about Modest Mouse.

What are your thoughts on Modest Mouse? What is your familiarity? What do you like in music?

so lucky sent me 4 PJ songs.

Hard to Imagine
    In My Tree
    Tremor Christ
    Brain of J

that is the order I listened to them. "Hard to Imagine" did nothing for me. It's more of that plodding sludgy stuff that I associate with PJ and it doesn't work for me. And "In My Tree" is more of that Vedder-groaning-like-a-sick-Holstein stuff that I don't like either.

But to my surprise it got a lot better with the last two. There's a compactness and concision to those songs that I'd not heard from PJ before. So now at least I can see why people might like them.
    Hey, it's a start! Glad there were a couple there. I hope it inspires to look at them a little more in depth at some point.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    What are your thoughts on Modest Mouse? What is your familiarity? What do you like in music?
    Im not that familiar with Modest Mouse. I really only know the songs that they play on the radio and I find them to be ok, nothing great. I have not gone passed Dashboard, Float on, and Missed the Boat, so there's quite a bit of songs i havent heard from them. I just want to know what the people on this board are listening to from them that makes them so special. Im really open as far as music, so throw me whatever you would like from them, just nothing slow I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by chingonlou View Post
    Im not that familiar with Modest Mouse. I really only know the songs that they play on the radio and I find them to be ok, nothing great. I have not gone passed Dashboard, Float on, and Missed the Boat, so there's quite a bit of songs i havent heard from them. I just want to know what the people on this board are listening to from them that makes them so special. Im really open as far as music, so throw me whatever you would like from them, just nothing slow I guess.
    "Never Ending Math Equation"

"Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset"

"Convenient Parking"
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

ok...I got one...(Not that I hate the band...but I don't get all the praise they get)
    Convince me on Blur.

I actually own Parklife and their self titled album...its ok but nothing really major...also heard alot of Think Tank...so...there.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    No one should have to be convinced of the Black Keys.
    That's what I was thinking about Pixies, Pink Floyd and Queen. Their awesomeness is self explanatory on first listen of pretty much all of their songs.

I never disliked Black Keys, I just think they're overrated. They have a really generic sound. I'm not saying it has to be original to be really good but it feels like I've already heard them many times before. I listened to those songs and they were good but I just don't see what all the hype is about.

TCHY, just listen to Tender from Blur. If you don't like that song then you probably just don't like them.

The first (and for a long time only) song I liked by Modest Mouse was "What People Are Made Of." I've slowly come to appreciate The Moon & Antarctica over time, but I still want more songs that tear shit up like that song.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake28 View Post
    That's what I was thinking about Pixies, Pink Floyd and Queen. Their awesomeness is self explanatory on first listen of pretty much all of their songs.
    Queen??? you do realize that "That 70s Show" was just a TV program right?

old school

What's your point? I know they have some albums that aren't amazing but I've liked everything I've heard from them.

My point is that I lived through the 70s, lived through Queen when they were current and not some nostalgic retro kitsch thing, and I can tell you the only song I ever enjoyed was the one everyone likes. Everything else was meh at best.

Give me some time to mull it over and I will pick out three songs you'll find better than meh.

OK I will listen. Please avoid any song with the "Dynamite with a laser beam/guaranteed to blow your mind" couplet.

Shit, there goes my list.

Just kidding, of course.

It's Late
    You and I
    Tenement Funster

I can't link to YouTubes/etc right now and'mn't even sure these're out there but hey. UPDATE: NOW! WITH LINKS TO THE SONGS ON YOUTUBE

There's nothing Freddie wrote and it has been a tough decision to include one of Roger's songs instead of another one from Brian.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 09-17-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add links to YouTubes

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Somebody convince me I'm wrong about Sigur Ros.
    Here's my Sigur Ros one. Please note that picking 3 songs by them is more than difficult, but I feel that the three I picked cover their musical compositions pretty well. I also find these to be more accessible songs from their career. If anyone wants more tunes by them, feel free to ask.

here you go:

Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa

From their 2nd album Ágćtis Byrjun (1999), this song kinda blends all of their styles that made them famous. Starting off with a beautiful piano melody backed by the string arrangement, it evolves into a powerful eruption of gorgeous, symphonic noise backed by Jonsi's signature "guitar being played with a cello bow" technique. It's a good mix of what their known for, and is easy to listen to - it's not quite as repetitive as some of their songs that are more widely talked about amongst fans.

Gong

This one comes from their 2006 release Takk.... Though not a very popular one, I picked it due to it's more traditional song structure, as opposed to most of Sigur Ros's work. It's a bit faster paced and more "rock oriented", thus making it a very accessible song for people not familiar with their work. It doesn't stray too far away from the "comfort zone" of your average music fan.

Untitled 8/Popplagiđ

I really don't know how to describe this song without raising expectations to it too much, but I'll just say this about it: This song, primarily the 2nd half of it, is one of the most intense and powerful pieces of music I have ever heard. The last 6 minutes is roughly the equivalent of God talking to you. If you still think Sigur Ros is "meh" after hearing this song, then you will probably never be a big fan of them. There are so many other things to say about this song, but for this one, i'll let the music do the talking. Also, this is a song that has to be actually listened to and rather focused on for you to "get it". Actually, I'd say most of Sigur Ros's music is that way. So as a request, when you listen to these, do just that - and absolutely nothing else.

The Smiths

Bigmouth Strikes Again

Girlfriend in a Coma

Girl Afraid

This last one has some nice "Morrissey" audience-member singing at the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

old school

TomAZ, there's plenty of Queen songs that are better than meh. We get it, you're old. That sure as hell doesn't mean Queen sucks. If you go back a page people already posted some great songs from them.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake28 View Post
    TomAZ, there's plenty of Queen songs that are better than meh. We get it, you're old. That sure as hell doesn't mean Queen sucks. If you go back a page people already posted some great songs from them.
    The depth of your understanding is matchless.

How would Tom's age affect his opinion of Queen? If anything, his age should make him MORE likely to appreciate Queen.

Tom, you aren't a really-well-preserved 90-year-old, are you?
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    If anything, his age should make him MORE likely to appreciate Queen.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Just to jump in the dogpile, for I would be remiss if I did not:

Cars & Telephones

Vampire/ Forest Fire

No Cars Go
    MP's 1st set of AF tracks:
    I kind of liked the first one, second one I just couldn't bear his voice again, third one is pretty fun. I think I like the songs in which his voice gets drowned out. I really REALLY hate his voice and wish they'd find someone else to sing, but I can see by that last track how they could be fun live.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    The first (and for a long time only) song I liked by Modest Mouse was "What People Are Made Of." I've slowly come to appreciate The Moon & Antarctica over time, but I still want more songs that tear shit up like that song.
    Have you listened to their album The Lonesome Crowded West? If not, I think you will quite enjoy it. Here are 3 songs that "tear shit up."

Teeth Like God's Shoeshine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0qBdHLspQ

Shit Luck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmhp_NEH12Y

Now, the next natural choice would be "Doin' The Cockroach," but since that is the closest thing they got to a hit off this album, I will assume you have heard it. So instead I offer this...

Truckers Atlas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl9vGHVT_Xs

It doesn't rip like the others, but it is a beast of a song. Even moreso live.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I kind of liked the first one, second one I just couldn't bear his voice again, third one is pretty fun. I think I like the songs in which his voice gets drowned out. I really REALLY hate his voice and wish they'd find someone else to sing, but I can see by that last track how they could be fun live.

They did have a different vocalist once upon a time, but it didn't work out. I wouldn't trade Win's voice for anybody else's; songs just wouldn't be right without it.

I feel like I went about this wrong. I tried to pick songs that were a bit more chill, so there'd be less yelling and hollering and all, and I figured that if you hated Win's voice then you'll really really hate Régine's voice.

What I should have done was picked three songs where there was so much yelling and hollering that it wouldn't make any difference. If I had to choose again, I'da picked Wake Up, Well & The Lighthouse and No Cars Go from the get-go, but this is the point where I shall bow respectfully out of the thread and nod appreciatively at you for being a good sport and giving them a fair whack in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Amy: win's voice was the reason I was lukewarm on Funeral at first. and since you and I have very different standards on what constitutes good rock singing, it is saying something that we agree (sort of) on this. But I didn't have that problem at all with Neon Bible and in fact that allowed me to go back and appreciate Funeral much more the second time around.

MP's revised list is much better for you I think except I would have chosen Antichrist Television Blues but I just love that song a lot.