Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Asperger's Thread

Default The Asperger's Thread

...wherein hypochondriacs like myself self-diagnose as high-fuctioning autistics, and then attempt justify this belief by way of pop psychology.

I'll start.

Ever since learning about autism in general, and having extensively studied cognition primates and humans, i've often wondered if my Theory of Mind is broken. Essentially, a Theory of Mind is an understanding that other individuals have minds distinct from your own. Normally, children develop this at around 3 years of age. You can perform a simple experiment:

Take a matchbox, and replace the matches with smarties. Ask a child what is in the box. They'll say "matches". Show them the smarties. Ask subject #2 to enter the room. Ask the child to say what subject #2 believes is in the box. Most children under 3 will say "smarties".

Autistic individuals stay that way their whole lives. This means they assume other people have the same mind that they do. As a result, they tend trust others implicitly. Conversing with a high-functioning autistic can be frustrating because it is more like listening to an internal monologue. Despite appearing self-absorbed, they can also exhibit a high degree of empathy. Depression and ADD are often co-diagnosed.

I identify with this description. I've never been "naturally" good at socializing or relationships of any sort; it is all trial-and-error. As a result I was a really weird kid who has gradually appeared more and more normal. It is all entirely planned and methodical. I have emotions, but they don't show, so I have to act them out for other people. Physical contact kinda freaks me out; even hugging my mother makes me uncomfortable. I'm a fucking encylopedia of useless facts, just like those autistics in film. Oh, and I was diagnosed as ADD as a kid.

Anybody else?
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Default Re: The Asperger's Thread

My 17 y/o cousin has this; he also has stomach problems and a fear of noises. He can imitate anyone at the snap of a finger but they can't leave him home alone because they think he's going to burn the house down.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

old school

I'm paranoid about getting Schizophrenia from trying drugs aside from weed, cause my uncle has schizophrenia and it was triggered in highschool while in the "bad" crowd
    (they think he did coke, something I wouldn't do).... So I always worry about getting it, and I would love to try mushrooms, peyote, ayahuasca, pretty much any natural drug with an ethnobotanical background ( used by different cultures)

don't live in fear.

Is this thread supposed to be funny, or are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would love to try mushrooms, ayahuasca
    How old are you? If you actually knew about the two things you mentioned above, you would know that they are relatively easy to acquire with the proper motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    ...wherein hypochondriacs like myself self-diagnose as high-fuctioning autistics, and then attempt justify this belief by way of pop psychology.

I'll start.

Ever since learning about autism in general, and having extensively studied cognition primates and humans, i've often wondered if my Theory of Mind is broken. Essentially, a Theory of Mind is an understanding that other individuals have minds distinct from your own. Normally, children develop this at around 3 years of age. You can perform a simple experiment:

Take a matchbox, and replace the matches with smarties. Ask a child what is in the box. They'll say "matches". Show them the smarties. Ask subject #2 to enter the room. Ask the child to say what subject #2 believes is in the box. Most children under 3 will say "smarties".

Autistic individuals stay that way their whole lives. This means they assume other people have the same mind that they do. As a result, they tend trust others implicitly. Conversing with a high-functioning autistic can be frustrating because it is more like listening to an internal monologue. Despite appearing self-absorbed, they can also exhibit a high degree of empathy. Depression and ADD are often co-diagnosed.

I identify with this description. I've never been "naturally" good at socializing or relationships of any sort; it is all trial-and-error. As a result I was a really weird kid who has gradually appeared more and more normal. It is all entirely planned and methodical. I have emotions, but they don't show, so I have to act them out for other people. Physical contact kinda freaks me out; even hugging my mother makes me uncomfortable. I'm a fucking encylopedia of useless facts, just like those autistics in film. Oh, and I was diagnosed as ADD as a kid.

Anybody else?
    You've just explained your thinking in a cogent, logical, easy-to-follow way. In a style that a good teacher would use. This would not seem to me possible for an autistic who doesn't get that others don't know what they know. So I think your post actually provides strong evidence that you are not, in fact, anything close to autistic.

Many ADD people have that physical contact thing. One of the symptoms of ADD is being uncomforable in clothes and an eagerness to get naked or at least in something less confining like sweats or pajamas.

Lots of people who are not autistic are not naturally adept at socializing. Being introverted is not a medical condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

What Tom said, that's why I thought this may be an attempt at comedy.

Plus, and I don't mean this as an insult, there are lots of people who are very fond of diagnosing themselves with Aspberger's. It's become increasingly common with increased awareness of the symptom. People who are just kind of awkward for any number of reasons automatically can claim it. I also know some people who claim it even though they most likely aren't because it's an excuse for their complete lack of concern for other people. (I say they most likely aren't because they don't show any other syndromes other than selfish behavior and, when they get really drunk, that tends to go away somewhat.) Some people are just awkward. It happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

We may be going about this all wrong by analyzing your initial post. The only real way to know if you have autism is to answer a series of probing questions. First question, are you a virgin?

heh heh heh. he said probing. heh heh heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Whenever someone says "I have Asperger's," I always hear it as "I mean to say 'I'm ugly,'"
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    How old are you? If you actually knew about the two things you mentioned above, you would know that they are relatively easy to acquire with the proper motivation.
    If you read all of it you would understand that I would love to try those 2 items and more, BUT I fear that it would trigger schizophrenia....

Seeing how Ayahuasca supplies and Mushroom spores are legal here, it would be quite simple indeed...

but I am 16, and I think my brownie just kicked in

old school

Essentially, a Theory of Mind is an understanding that other individuals have minds distinct from your own. Autistic individuals stay that way their whole lives. This means they assume other people have the same mind that they do. As a result, they tend trust others implicitly.

Anybody else?
    yes, i am very nearly what you described.. the above quoted part however i wanted to ask about.. what if they assume other people have the same mind that they do, but as a result, are paranoid and do NOT trust others implicitly?
    Last edited by nbvcide; 09-08-2009 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

old school

If you read all of it you would understand that I would love to try those 2 items and more, BUT I fear that it would trigger schizophrenia....

Seeing how Ayahuasca supplies and Mushroom spores are legal here, it would be quite simple indeed...

but I am 16, and I think my brownie just kicked in
    me personally, i think you should wait until your brain has fully developed before venturing into hallucinogens... some of these drugs can alter your brain slightly, but i've seen people warped from long-term acid or coke use.. hell even vicodin addiction.. i think with anything, moderation is key, except weed, you should smoke that shit every day.. (& maybe mdma, i personally haven't encountered anyone with long-term mental effects from it..)
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Oh, you were being serious too. Being afraid the things you mentioned will "trigger" schizophrenia in you is silly, but if you really do believe that you may not be mentally strong enough to handle psychedelics.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Is this thread supposed to be funny, or are you serious?
    Since the initial post contains a fair amount of irony, and Aspies don't do irony, you can probably put it together. I just know a lot of people on here probably identify with a lot of the symptoms. The suggestion is from Douglas Coupland's book JPod, which is about a bunch of computer nerds who decide they actually have asperger's. I dated a girl who told me to read the book because it explains me. In retrospect, she's just a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Many ADD people have that physical contact thing. One of the symptoms of ADD is being uncomforable in clothes and an eagerness to get naked or at least in something less confining like sweats or pajamas.
    That's really interesting... first thing I do when I get home from work is take off my pants. Everyone thinks i'm joking, but I fucking hate pants.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    yes, i am very nearly what you described.. the above quoted part however i wanted to ask about.. what if they assume other people have the same mind that they do, but as a result, are paranoid and do NOT trust others implicitly?
    This is my current predicament. I went straight from being insanely trusting to not trusting a damn thing anyone tells me ever. I don't know where to draw the line because I can't read people very well.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Whenever someone says "I have Asperger's," I always hear it as "I mean to say 'I'm ugly,'"
    Isn't there a Borderline Personality Disorder thread somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Plus, and I don't mean this as an insult, there are lots of people who are very fond of diagnosing themselves with Aspberger's.
    Yup, that's what this thread is for! Of course I didn't realize there were already 3 other threads about the same thing... I didn't search because i thought i was being original
    Last edited by JebusLives; 09-08-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    Your stupid

That's really interesting... first thing I do when I get home from work is take off my pants. Everyone thinks i'm joking, but I fucking hate pants.
    There must be a thick air of tension at your dinner parties.

I've been doing a lot of self-diagnosis lately. I proudly harbor asperger's, shellshock, lyme disease, consumption, and a phantom limb. You should see my ailment scrapbook. I actually managed to find sequins the color of bloody phlegm.

I'm also starting to think (based on something I read on WebMD) that I might have a second head.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I do too, but that doesn't mean I'm socially awkward or whatever. Wanting to lounge around in your own place in your underwear isn't that strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I'm not actually that socially awkward, I just find social situations to be draining and very calculated (rather than happening naturally). I cannot for the life of me remember names, even if its the name of the hot girl I'm hitting on. I will also most likely forget her face the next day. Right now I can't picture the face of any ex girlfriends, beyond the macroscopic.

Anyway, I just thought we could talk about an interesting personality type that seems common among us internet denizens, but now I just sound like a weirdo. That's cool - I'm going to go smoke a bowl and watch the Daily Show.
    Last edited by JebusLives; 09-08-2009 at 09:47 PM.
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    I'm also starting to think (based on something I read on WebMD) that I might have a second head.

Me too!
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

You should both ask your second heads to take that aspie test, too.
    Your stupid

I took it but the results weren't interesting. Average with a few quirks. I could have told you that based on everything already. My chart didn't even form the shape of a ninja weapon like yours did.

[QUOTE=JebusLives;1334582]
    I've often wondered if my Theory of Mind is broken.

I quit wondering and embraced it! LOL
    Wait. When Kid #2 enters the room, I'm thinking there's an exchange of pointing and giggles first. Then it'll take you a good 10 minutes to get them settled down and ready to test. Before you know it, Kid #1 has found the matches you replaced with "smarties," and has proceeded to ignite and torch your exam room for tricking him like that. This is why you should never let children play with matches...Duh!
    I think I might be autistic when it comes to posting. Oh, look! There's a little piece of last night's chicken on the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    One of the symptoms of ADD is being uncomforable in clothes and an eagerness to get naked or at least in something less confining like sweats or pajamas.
    I'd rather be sitting here in a pair of knees socks, tripping on that chicken, than daydreaming about that canvas buckled coat the doctor told me about the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I do too, but that doesn't mean I'm socially awkward or whatever. Wanting to lounge around in your own place in your underwear isn't that strange.
    Underwear will work too. But you can't go wrong with knee socks if you decide to venture outside.

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    Me too!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    Me too!
    Maybe so, but once you start to utilize the second one, the original one goes brain dead...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.