Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still-ill's Guide to Record Labels and their very best releases...

Wheels Of Cheese

Post Still-ill's Guide to Record Labels and their very best releases...

Alright. I cooked up this idea awhile ago (before the Greatest bands/Greatest solo artists deal). I decided to wait for that cool down a little before I started this up. It's similar to the "Young'uns guide" thread, but deals particularly with just Record Labels (obviously). Here's a rundown:

• I am King. Whatever I say stands. If you don't like it too bad. You can keep lobbying but I probably wont change my mind.
    • Whoever has a label in mind that they would like to do, just PM me or just post your intent straight into the thread.
    • Duplicate Label posts are not completely out of the question. If you have an interesting idea on how to do it differently, or it's a massive label with tons of material to cover, then by all means go for it. Just ask first.
    • Regardless of interest I'll keep posting label features. It's a fantastic way to hear music you normally would never ever hear.
    • Posts about labels will be known as features
    • Do NOT just post a feature without consulting me first.
    • Some will refuse to follow the rules. There is little I can do to punish them except insult their intelligence. So please dont be a dick. If you ask, most likely I will let you do what you want. I'm fair.
    • Any label is up for grabs.
    • If an artist has a release that was distributed by more than one label (a UK release, US release, a reissued release, etc), you can count that release for all the labels it was ever distributed on.
      1. For example: Jimi Tenor released Organism, which was first released by Warp, and then Sire records. If there was a write-up on Sire records and another on Warp, they can both use that particular album.
      2. Deerhunter are 4ad in Europe, Kranky in the US. They qualify for both.
    • A feature on the topic of just a specific era in a labels history is acceptable is acceptable.
      1. i.e. Sub Pop from 1988-1992.

• This may make it possible to narrow down some very large catalogues.
    • As said above (just hammering it home here) a Feature can be anything. It doesn't have to be a list, it doesn't have to be an essay. Be creative!
    • ...More rules to be added as things come up.

If you are unsure on how the format for each feature should be, I will start by doing a very simple one on Warp records. Creativity and discretion is encouraged. If you don't want to simply do a top ten list... fine! Write an essay breaking down notable releases and the history of the label (important producers, artists, etc.). It's up to you...

Record Label Features
    I'll add more as people bring them up.

4AD
    1. none

Astralwerks
    1. none

Creation
    1. Still-ill Presents to you... Creation Records: Through the Years 1986-1994 (Before the fall)

Drag City
    1. None

Elephant 6
    1. None

Epitaph
    1. none

Harvest
    1. Still-ill

Ipecac
    1. Stinkbutt

Matador
    1. none

Merge
    1. PassiveTheory

Morr
    1. none

Sire
    1. none

Sub Pop
    1. none

Touch
    1. Wmgaretjax

Touch and Go
    1. none

Warp
    1. Still-ill's top 15 Warp releases

Wax Trax
    1. Msparks
    Last edited by Still-ill; 09-26-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Default Re: Still-ill's Guide to Record Labels and their very best releases...

I will probably do a Touch one at some point.

I can do a top 15 for Astralwerks unless anybody objects to this.

EDIT: Forgot that Astralwerks is owned by Virgin/EMI. I'll do Merge Records instead.
    Last edited by PassiveTheory; 09-07-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

i'd like to see someone tackle Drag City. i have no intent in doing so though, too damn lazy.

No Psychopathic?
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I am a huge 4AD fan circa This Mortal Coil, Pixies, Xmal Deutschland.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Wheels Of Cheese

You guys can do anything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    I will probably do a Touch one at some point.
    I'm assuming you don't mean touch and go.
    Last edited by Still-ill; 09-07-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

^ HA if you look back and forth between Boourns' and Pixiessp' avatars really fast if looks like Annie's face is moving, kinda like a cartoon.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    I am a huge 4AD fan circa This Mortal Coil, Pixies, Xmal Deutschland.
    Yeah 4ad would be quite an undertaking...

I am not a writer so the 4AD essay will not be written by me.
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ^ HA if you look back and forth between Boourns' and Pixiessp' avatars really fast if looks like Annie's face is moving, kinda like a cartoon.
    We planned that. Welcome to our St. Vincent lair.

Still-Ill, I think Jared meant Touch and Go, and I've switched over to doing Merge.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

someone should do Wax Trax, unless we're staying contemporary.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    I'm assuming you don't mean touch and go.
    You assumed right.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    I am not a writer so the 4AD essay will not be written by me.
    Who said it had to be an essay?

The feature can be anything you want.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    Nope... whatever. You can do any label, even one that is now defunct.

i hope someone does Morr..

i don't have enough Nerd Power to do it myself
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    You assumed right.
    Curses.
    Upcoming Shows:

Wheels Of Cheese

Disclaimer: I haven't heard every single thing Warp has ever released.

Still-ill's top 15 Warp releases

I'll start with something Warp themselves started with.

Genre:techno, rock, idm, pop, electronic, acid, dance, tech house, house

Jimi Tenor is very interesting. A little jazz, a little electronic, a little soul... and he's from Finland. I probably should listen to Organism someday.

Genre:Future Jazz, Electronic, Soul, funk, downtempo

Yeah, this is Aphex Twin... this is also my thread. I'll double post Richard d. James if I want.

Genre: ambient, electronic, idm

Yeah "Herzog" is great, but the rest of this album is just as fun to listen to.

Genre:Electronic, downtempo, ambient

My Biggest problem with Squarepusher is I always say "What a fucking great track!" and never "Damn that's a great album!" Either way this is my favorite of his. Just consider this submission a culmination of all of his best tracks.

Genre:Fusion, Jazz, Drums n' Bass, electronic, performance jazz

(REQ's Sketchbook)
    This is the beauty of doing this thread, to me. I never would have found this in a million years if I had otherwise not done this and researched the Warp back catalogue. A few other submissions were similar cases (#8 and #15).

electronic, triphop, idm

(Tortoise's Standards)
    You were probably expecting this to be a bit higher... well, I have been cooling slowly on this record the last 2-3 years. It just doesn't hold the same relevance it used to when I listened. (still a great album nonetheless)

Genre:Electro, Post-Rock, (slight)Math Rock

I was just looking for a straight Hip Hop record to include and stumbled upon this a couple days ago. Slightly overlooked, it received pretty good to lukewarm reviews. Especially average reviews among the hip-hop community who pointed out the production. The production may not be great, but the rhymes are. They're extremely good. The wordplay is excellent enough for me to catapult this up the list.

Genre:hip-hop, rap

I remain very slightly underwhelmed.

genre: you know what this is.

Autechre's Confield
    My knowledge and list of albums by Autechre is very limited but this is certainly my favorite out of what I have.

genre:Jazz, hiphop, funk, blues, big band, elevator music, black metal, actually it's noise

Wow. I forgot how much I love this one. There is a slight bit of grizzle on it but "7th message" is still mind blowing in the context of the album and as a standalone track.

genre:hiphop, electronic

(Two Lone Swordsmen's Stay Down)
    I have a friend who is obsessed with Jacques Cousteau, who wanted me to hear this. This is a concept album that can double as the soundtrack to any of his oceanography films. Oh and it's fucking brilliant.

Genre: Scuba diving electronic ambience.

No bio necessary.

genre: ..., ..., ..., ..., ...

Eh... you choose.

Genre:d'nb, ambient, industrial, downtempo, electronic

Yeah this is my favorite Warp release. It blows my mind every time I listen to it. But who fucking cares? Everyone already knows it. This list isn't about albums 1,2,3, or 7 it is about everything else that appears on the list. The deep picks.

Genre: Math-rock, experimental
    Last edited by Still-ill; 09-08-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Wheels Of Cheese

If any one is interested but cant locate a link to any of the albums just pm me.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    EDIT: Forgot that Astralwerks is owned by Virgin/EMI. I'll do Merge Records instead.
    I see nothing wrong with doing one on Astralwerks just because it is owned by Virgin. But so be it, I'll put you down for Merge

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    I can do Wax Trax, but I don't have time right now. I won't care if someone else wants to do it, but I'm the old guy with, like, every KMFDM single. (Though sadly, still no physical copy of the original Naive.)

Wheels Of Cheese

I'll just put you down for it.

I'm actually a third done, though I will be paying for it now as I have to go do my real work. Maybe next week sometime.

Wheels Of Cheese

Oh wow... very cool. I wasn't expecting anything that quick.

I'm gonna undertake another soon... I'm not sure which label I'd wanna do though. There is a lot I like from Touch and Go, but not enough to compile a decent list.

i'm about half way done with Touch... but I want to do it real justice so I'll probably sit on it for a wee bit.

Wheels Of Cheese

I'm looking forward to that because I don't really know much of their line-up.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    I'm the old guy with, like, every KMFDM single.
    Nice! They got me into industrial music back in high school. That's the first time I've seen anyone mention them here.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake28 View Post
    Nice! They got me into industrial music back in high school. That's the first time I've seen anyone mention them here.
    They were in the rumor mill last year. I actually think Pig might be an interesting fit for Coach.

Wheels Of Cheese

Elephant 6 collective... anyone interested? It isn't really a straight up record label but I'd count it.
    Last edited by Still-ill; 09-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.