Alright. I cooked up this idea awhile ago (before the Greatest bands/Greatest solo artists deal). I decided to wait for that cool down a little before I started this up. It's similar to the "Young'uns guide" thread, but deals particularly with just Record Labels (obviously). Here's a rundown:
- I am King. Whatever I say stands. If you don't like it too bad. You can keep lobbying but I probably wont change my mind.
- Whoever has a label in mind that they would like to do, just PM me or just post your intent straight into the thread.
- Duplicate Label posts are not completely out of the question. If you have an interesting idea on how to do it differently, or it's a massive label with tons of material to cover, then by all means go for it. Just ask first.
- Regardless of interest I'll keep posting label features. It's a fantastic way to hear music you normally would never ever hear.
- Posts about labels will be known as features
- Do NOT just post a feature without consulting me first.
- Some will refuse to follow the rules. There is little I can do to punish them except insult their intelligence. So please dont be a dick. If you ask, most likely I will let you do what you want. I'm fair.
- Any label is up for grabs.
- If an artist has a release that was distributed by more than one label (a UK release, US release, a reissued release, etc), you can count that release for all the labels it was ever distributed on.
- For example: Jimi Tenor released Organism, which was first released by Warp, and then Sire records. If there was a write-up on Sire records and another on Warp, they can both use that particular album.
- Deerhunter are 4ad in Europe, Kranky in the US. They qualify for both.
- A feature on the topic of just a specific era in a labels history is acceptable is acceptable.
- i.e. Sub Pop from 1988-1992.
- This may make it possible to narrow down some very large catalogues.
- As said above (just hammering it home here) a Feature can be anything. It doesn't have to be a list, it doesn't have to be an essay. Be creative!
- ...More rules to be added as things come up.
If you are unsure on how the format for each feature should be, I will start by doing a very simple one on Warp records. Creativity and discretion is encouraged. If you don't want to simply do a top ten list... fine! Write an essay breaking down notable releases and the history of the label (important producers, artists, etc.). It's up to you...
Record Label Features
I'll add more as people bring them up.
Touch and Go