Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Reviews & Pictures/Videos Of Shows You've Recently Attended Here

Default Re: Post Reviews & Pictures/Videos Of Shows You've Recently Attended Here

Sufjan Stevens. Bowery Ballroom. I think I came... Eighteen times.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Default Re: Post Reviews & Pictures/Videos Of Shows You've Recently Attended Here

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I think I came... Eighteen times.
    gonna need a review, some pics, and a video of this.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    Still trying to process all of it. Amazing show, better than Lolla almost as good as Coachella. Crowd energy was through the roof and Brandon really picked up on it. He was genuinely having a great time skipping from monitor to monitor, laughing, talking to us, smiling from ear to ear. He apologized for never coming to Miami before and he even said the eff word !! ("Motherfucking Floridaaaa!")

This being the first time Ive seen them in a non festival setting one of the first things I noticed was just how INTIMATE it felt to me. GA crowd isnt terribly large so we were close of course. I had a perfect shot of Bflow all night and it was fabulous.

Oh and never in my entire life have I ever seen that much confetti at one time than I did during the climax of "All These Things...". We couldnt even look at the stage anymore because the stuff was just pouring on us. I finally got to hear "Losing Touch" and it surely did not disappoint! My friends and I were throwing glowstix all night and they kept landing on the stage, at one point it even hit Brandon!!

Chairlift opened and they were pretty decent but it just wasnt a good pairing for the killers, their music is a little too slow. That being said I enjoyed a fair amount of their set, my friend and I both picked up on hints of Depeche Mode, The Cure and Sigur Ros in their styles. Chairlift later joined the stage with the killers and they did a terrific cover of "Under The Milky Way". The male singer of Chairlift has an incredibly deep and powerful voice, I dont know why he didnt sing at all during their set. But once he opened his mouth and started singing the entire crowd around me kind of gasped a little because it was so good.

My body is sore and im so wiped, as I usually am after a Killers show. Best and most importantly of all is I got to watch them with all of my friends who have never seen them before. So I enjoyed watching their reactions once a song started or whenever Brandon did something cute (which was a lot).
    FEATHER FOREVER

Last edited by sbessiso; 10-05-2009 at 07:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I went to a Vivian Girls show this evening. They're playing a mixture of stuff from their first album, their Surf's Up EP, and their second album these days. The club where the show was held is known for its atrocious sound set-up, but the music that the Vivian Girls make is much for forgiving for fuzzy feedback than some other bands, I suppose.

It was a very light audience, although the kids that were there were hardcore. They had quite the circle pit going on.

The band were adorable, as is to be expected, with their normal instrument-swapping antics. They even received a love note from an audience member, which they proceeded to read aloud. However, I couldn't help but feel that it was a little bit of a lower energy show than what I've seen them do before.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Just got back from Moby at House of Blues.

I dunno. Part was good, part was really not. I think a lot of it had to do with the crowd, who were fucking terrible. I was probably the youngest person there or at least appeared to be, as the median age seemed to be...38 or so. It seemed like a lot of people were hoping to relive their rave days of yesteryear, and failed miserably at it.

The beginning of the set was pretty slow, I think the tracks were mainly new material, and then he played some older stuff off of Play. There was a good selection from Play actually, which was nice because I sort of went to this on a whim after picking up a ticket off of Craigslist a couple hours before the show and was hoping to hear at least some songs I knew. He played all of the hits from most records, so I knew a good chunk of the songs. The middle of the set was pretty uneven tempo wise, but the songs weren't bad. Just kind of boring. During the encore they played a 15 minute version of Honey with War Pigs sandwiched in the middle which was fun but odd, and then closed with some super happy uplifting house/jungle number that was just way too fast to do anything close to what you could call dancing to it. There was a number of songs that were from his rave days which is good I suppose, it kept the setlist varied but they didn't really fit entirely. It was just irritating having older and not terribly slim people trying to get down with each other, people practically almost fucking next to me, and girls dressed like fucking whores running around everywhere. Also nobody would shut the fuck up. Would I see Moby again? Probably not. Even if he was at Coachella? Ehhhhhh. Am I going to go to House of Blues again? No. I know most of it is that it is San Diego locals being retarded, but when Moby stopped to mention that he was donating all the money from his California shows to a domestic violence charity I understood why some guys would want to knock these girls around. They were fucking annoying. I guess it was worth the $20 I spent on the ticket, which was almost half of face, so I suppose that is a win. Anyway. I need to go shower and wash off all of the lame. I don't think they make water hot enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Your review is disappointing. I'm going tonight I hope I have a different experience.

I am one of those 38 year olds nostalgaic about the old rave days, so we clearly have a different perspective. That last song sounds like his song that is in the Guiness Book of World Records for most beats per minute. I forget what it's called.

Edit: "Thousand" climaxes at 1,015 beats per minute, making it the fastest single ever.
    Last edited by algunz; 10-14-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Young blood

Yeah and the dumb asshole never misses a chance to showcase the song in a jesus pose while standing on his decks. Fuck. Moby.

weird that a 44 year old artist who has been making music for 20+ years might have a crowd consisting of some "older" fans
    '99-'11...

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Coutney, those photos are amazing! I haven't heard Vivian Girls, but I'm tempted to after seeing those
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I would say that the peak of Moby's mainstream success was with Play which came out 10 years ago. Either way I didn't think his music would be enjoyed by the crowd that was there. Older people enjoying a show, wonderful. Older people tragically trying to remain hip and throwing the rock hands every 5 minutes (which was a variation of the rock hands, hang ten and "I love you" in sign language), painfully embarrassing.

Call me ageist if you want, I really dont care. The crowd was terrible.
    last.fm

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The only Moby album I've ever really enjoyed, and the only one I own, is "Everything is Wrong"

I had a similar 'goofy old people' experience when i saw Our Lady Peace right after "Spiritual Machines" came out in 2000. I was 18, really excited to finally see them, and was frankly shocked to the see the entire crowd was a bunch of frumpy people in their 40 and 50 wearing hawaiian shirts and yelling dumb shit like it was the first time they had been out of the house on a weeknight in 15 years
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Your review is disappointing. I'm going tonight I hope I have a different experience.

I am one of those 38 year olds nostalgaic about the old rave days, so we clearly have a different perspective. That last song sounds like his song that is in the Guiness Book of World Records for most beats per minute. I forget what it's called.

Edit: "Thousand" climaxes at 1,015 beats per minute, making it the fastest single ever.
    The song is Feeling So Real. The Moby one, I mean. I thought it was a great closer, but I enjoy Raining Again more.

So I saw A Place To Bury Strangers last night. Let me start off by saying I am not a fan of MBV or any other "shoe gaze." That being said, APTBS were incredible. I wanted to get the full effect so I decided to watch from the very very front. There were only about 30 people in the audience so this wasn't a problem.
    APTBS is probably the loudest show I've been to. One of my earplugs slipped out of my ear for 2 seconds and it felt like my brain was being stabbed. APTBS also had very effective lighting...something I didn't expect. I also chatted with the lead singer for a bit after the show. He was weird.

Here are a couple shitty cell phone pics:

Last edited by Gribbz; 10-14-2009 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    I would say that the peak of Moby's mainstream success was with Play which came out 10 years ago. Either way I didn't think his music would be enjoyed by the crowd that was there. Older people enjoying a show, wonderful. Older people tragically trying to remain hip and throwing the rock hands every 5 minutes (which was a variation of the rock hands, hang ten and "I love you" in sign language), painfully embarrassing.

Call me ageist if you want, I really dont care. The crowd was terrible.
    I don't care enough to call you anything over it, just stating that he's a slightly older artist that's been around a while, so it wouldn't surprise me that much.

people of all ages are retarded
    '99-'11...

Ah. I envy you your APTBS show. I could not attend since it was on a Tuesday and in fucking Tucson.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Ah. I envy you your APTBS show. I could not attend since it was on a Tuesday and in fucking Tucson.
    Well you guys get Dirty Projectors.... so you have that.

Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post

people of all ages are retarded
    I agree.
    last.fm

I saw The Butthole Surfers the other night. It was probably one of the weirdest and most disturbing shows I have ever seen. I highly suggest going if they come near you.

Also, I am seeing APTBS next Tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Don't forget ze earplugs.

Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    The song is Feeling So Real. The Moby one, I mean. I thought it was a great closer, but I enjoy Raining Again more.
    Moby does have a song called "Thousand" that he performs in the way described by Brandon and Justin and that is (or at least was) in the Guiness Book as Al said. It is incredibly lame to see live.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    That being said, APTBS were incredible.
    Damn.

Don't have time for a full review now but Vivian Girls were great last night at Modified. 40 minute set; decent sized crowd. Some sound issues on stage but out in the audience it sounded good. The Pods opened; I need to find out more about them. The first band was locals The Chandails, who were even better than the last time I saw them, which is saying something.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I saw The Butthole Surfers the other night. It was probably one of the weirdest and most disturbing shows I have ever seen. I highly suggest going if they come near you.
    I'm pretty excited about seeing them in a couple of weeks. Peaches is opening, so the weirdness quotient should be even higher.

Also, I saw the U2 360 show at Cowboys Stadium the night before last. The show/spectacle was better than I expected and they played "The Unforgettable Fire", which was great. There were a couple of awkward moments when Bono dedicated "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" to Tiger Woods(??) and then effusively praised President Bush during the middle of "One" (to wild redneck applause!). The venue was HORRIBLE. The sound at the new stadium is absolutely the worst I've ever experienced. Muse was just a garbled wall of noise and U2 wasn't much better. Oh, and we paid $30+fees to park in mud and the stadium only sells Miller Light. I will not be returning.

08/27 Jamie XX - The Mohawk
    08/31 Little Dragon - The Moody Theater
    10/02 Beck - Stubb's
    10/03 Rhye - The Paramount
    09/12 GvsB IV w/Panda Bear, SOPHIE, DOSS, Ejecta - Granada Theater
    09/21 IHEARTCOMIX + Hyperdub 10 - Empire
    09/23 Andy Stott/Millie + Andrea - The North Door
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/17 Blonde Redhead - The Mohawk
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk
    11/26 FKA Twigs - The Parish

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Coutney, those photos are amazing! I haven't heard Vivian Girls, but I'm tempted to after seeing those
    Thanks Drinkey! One of my current projects is to get better at concert photography. That was the first set that I shot with my new camera.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Moby does have a song called "Thousand" that he performs in the way described by Brandon and Justin and that is (or at least was) in the Guiness Book as Al said. It is incredibly lame to see live.

Damn.

Don't have time for a full review now but Vivian Girls were great last night at Modified. 40 minute set; decent sized crowd. Some sound issues on stage but out in the audience it sounded good. The Pods opened; I need to find out more about them. The first band was locals The Chandails, who were even better than the last time I saw them, which is saying something.
    I had no idea about the Moby song. He didn't play it at either of the NY shows.

I'll pass the Chandails compliment over to my friend who is the guitarist, John.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Thanks Drinkey! One of my current projects is to get better at concert photography. That was the first set that I shot with my new camera.
    Those are really good pictures. I want to undergo a similar project, but my camera is just too cheap for good low-light photos (or I just don't know how to use it properly.)

Thank you all for ignoring my killers pics. Don't deny the awesomeness of this one

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I also won't deny the blurriness of the other 10, Salah.

But yes, that one is pretty cool.

I didn't get any pics at Moby last night, but I was disappointed. But for very different reasons than Brandon. I think the LA crowd was completely different than the SD crowd. Yeah there were some old people, but there were just as many scenesters/hipsters. I guess that's to be expected in LA though. I kind of wish there were more people getting into it, but the crowd was kind of dead and as usual for most LA shows people wouldn't shut up. His set had a few highlights, but for the most part it was pretty slow and uninspired. I think Moby couldn't quite get energy out of his audience. He's definitely a performer that feeds off the crowd and there wasn't much goin' on out there. And . . . I miss the days where he didn't talk. Goodness the man can ramble.

It wasn't a bad show. It just wasn't that good. His singers are really good.
    Last edited by algunz; 10-15-2009 at 10:31 AM.

That's a bummer that it wasnt what you were hoping for. And yes, those girls can sing.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post

Also, I am seeing APTBS next Tuesday.
    I'm so bummed that I'm missing them around me...Butthole Surfers are one of the few bands that I've wanted to see for a really long time that I've never had an opportunity....

This weekend, Butthole Surfers are playing LA and Gogol Bordello are playing in Anaheim, but I can't see either show...I will be in Yosemite for a few days, so it is a worthy excuse, but bummed nonetheless.
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    That's a bummer that it wasnt what you were hoping for. And yes, those girls can sing.
    I had high hopes. The last time I saw him play live was in probably 2000 or so and he was fantastic. Totally high energy show and the crowd was awesome. Oh well. It was still fun.