Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Reviews & Pictures/Videos Of Shows You've Recently Attended Here

Wheels Of Cheese

Default Re: Post Reviews & Pictures/Videos Of Shows You've Recently Attended Here

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post

I wanna run bare foot in that grass
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Default Re: Post Reviews & Pictures/Videos Of Shows You've Recently Attended Here

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    MPeezy, can you please tell us more about the giant tree in front of the main stage? I mean WTF? There were no other places to put a stage other than directly behind a giant tree?

As you can imagine from all the fuckin' rain on me in that picture, we don't have ourselves an abundance of either desert or polo fields here. The festival is held on a private aristocratic estate, the main stage is basically in a very rich family's front garden.

The trees actually aren't as obstructive as they seem in that photo, and to be honest, the festival's only been big enough for them to be a problem recently.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 09-08-2009 at 12:19 PM.

I saw Kings of Convenience today, and they played, I imagine, their entire new album. It sounds beautiful and amazing and perfect! They also played some old songs at the end of their set. They didn't play "I'd Rather Dance With You," but they played my favorite song: "Caymen Islands."

Also, after their set, they came out and did an encore. They played the guitar, unplugged, and sang without microphones, standing on the very edge of the stage... and half-way through "The Build-Up," whose beautiful voice would come from behind the crowd, upon a balcony, stopping my heart for a second and releasing gasps from all the audience, but the angelic Leslie Feist! She went down and played the other song with them. It was an AMAZING show.

I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Jealous.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

If you squint, they kind of look like Flight of the Conchords.

Sunset Rubdown last night.

Before the show, I met a friend. She seized me by the shoulders, looked right into my eyes and said:

"Let's drink ourselves retarded."

We did, so this is my best photo. It is of Spencer Krug's elbow.

Afterwards, we tried and failed to get barred from a pub, I told a Mexican he was a Hindu, and today my hands are covered in cigarette burns even though I don't smoke.

It was great.

I get to see them with Adam on Tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post

I saw Kings of Convenience today, and they played, I imagine, their entire new album. It sounds beautiful and amazing and perfect! They also played some old songs at the end of their set. They didn't play "I'd Rather Dance With You," but they played my favorite song: "Caymen Islands."

Also, after their set, they came out and did an encore. They played the guitar, unplugged, and sang without microphones, standing on the very edge of the stage... and half-way through "The Build-Up," whose beautiful voice would come from behind the crowd, upon a balcony, stopping my heart for a second and releasing gasps from all the audience, but the angelic Leslie Feist! She went down and played the other song with them. It was an AMAZING show.

Holy crap that is incredible! Ahhhhhhh I need to see them!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I get to see them with Adam on Tuesday.
    Good ol Adam, that guy knows how to pound a beer quite quickly.

Adam is a hero and a gentleman.

EDIT: And can indeed perform drinking feats of biblical magnitude.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 09-13-2009 at 02:16 PM.

I saw Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker this weekend. Hated it!

Next weekend is Social Distortion.

I saw Blink-182 and Weezer on Sunday night. Weezer were fucking awesome, and I am now motivated to see one of their own headlining shows when they come back to town. Whoever said they have no passion playing live anymore is definitely wrong, or maybe it had to do with the fact that is was pouring rain (outside venue) the whole time, but there were still 22,000 people there. Luckily, we were under the pavilion canopy.

Blink-182 were pretty "meh", but it was cool to hear songs I used to listen to back in middle school. The overall experience was fun so it was worth it.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

It's more appropriate in here:

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Sooooooooooo, PJ are pretty much badass in the flesh. Eddie has fantastic stage presence and McCready's solos are equally impressive. I couldn't tell you the exact set list but it was Backspacer heavy, naturally. Even Flow is a fucking monster of a song live! Especially with an extended McCready solo. The crowd-led Acappella sing along for the first bit of Betterman was incredible and Alive was an excellent song to cap the night. The new songs sound good live. Particularly Going to See My Friend, The Fixer, Got Some and Johnny Guitar. At the beginning of the first encore they brought out two violins, a viola and cello to play The End and another song I didn't recognize. Then, a four horn section came out for a cover of The Who in the final encore. Truth be told I would have preferred more older material to some of the new stuff but if that isn't the biggest cliche in live music. They really are one of those bands whose catalog vastly exceeds a single show. Halfway through I began to fear the end of the show. They could have gone for another hour playing hits. Reminds me of another sorta popular band--Radiohead--in that regard. So much fun.

And I got there early to pick up a show poster

One of the funnier moments of the night was a little Eddie between song banter. It went something like this:
    "I don't mean to talk politics with the new record being upbeat. But our president Obama has a lot on his plate right now. With the energy bill, a recovering economy and the healthcare situation which could take an eternity to fix when we just need to do what's right *cheers* But the president said something recently that we really agree with.... we also think that Kanye West is a jackass."

I'm totally going tomorrow night!

Music Go Music last night. Wow! A completely insane night of huge theatrical props and retro vibes. This is the music Karen Carpenter would have made if she'd taken tons of acid with Abba.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Sufjan Stevens in a tiny venue in Ithaca, New York. Show was really good in pretty much every way - performance, crowd, vibe, venue, setlist. Really everything I wanted out of my first time seeing him.

He started the show with FOUR NEW SONGS in a row. And they...were...awesome. Departure from his other stuff. After those he said "enough of that glam rock shit" and went into classics, including some seven swans stuff (to be alone with you, my favorite.) He and the band left and came back out for an encore, and he said they were going to end it with another new song. And again, this song was really, really good, kind of like early flaming lips playing with the girls of dirty projectors with sufjan singing. also, there was some free jazz shit. then the band left again, Sufjan came back out for a second encore, played john wayne gacy, and ran off stage. Awesome show.

Ok so I wrote this for inforoo as well so there is some repeats from apostles review. I also think it's funny that we both mentioned the glam rock bullshit line. Anyway here it is.

So I went to see Sufjan Stevens last night at a bar in ithaca. Drove two and half hours from Buffalo so I could see the show. Couldn't have been more than three hundred people there. He started out by saying it would be something of a live workshop. Basically Sufjan rocked out for forty five minutes, and it was awesome. Loud guitars and samples mixed with Sufjan singing much less delicately than usual made for some great new songs. I can't wait to see what comes of this project.

Eventually he said "enough of this glam rock bullshit" and pulled out the banjo to much applause. He then played some Seven Swans material, which eventually led to Casimir Pulaski Day. You could hear a pin drop other than two assholes in the back talking. Eventually someone shushed them to no avail, but I enjoyed their effort of enforcing concert etiquette. Seeing Sufjan sing this song in such a intimate venue was a special moment. He played some other favorites too, I think we were the first on the tour to hear the stripped down version of Chicago. He ended the show with a new song " Too much love" and then a second encore with John Wayne Gacy.

After the show I was able to pick up Michigan, Illinois, and The BQE (Both Run Rabbit Run and The Bqe were available, neither comes out until next month) on vinyl for 50 bucks, which is a steal in my eyes.

Here's the setlist
    1. Alien Attack
    2. Age of Adz
    3. Impossible Souls
    4. All Delighted People
    5. Majesty Snowbird
    6. The Transfiguration
    7. Casimir Pulaski Day
    8. The Dress Looks Nice on You
    9. To Be Alone With You
    10. Chicago
    11. In the Devil’s Territory
    12. Too Much Love
    13. John Wayne Gacy

And some (shitty) pictures

I missed this thread. Curse you, Labor Day weekend! Good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Okay, this is 11 days after the fact but I just found this thread...

Here's my long-ass review of the Mars Volta set at Monolith in case anyone's interested. Also fabulous were Frightened Rabbit, Rahzel, Spindrift, The Dandy Warhols, Yeah Yeah Yeahs (in the pouring rain), Method Man & Redman, Phoenix, Girl Talk (reluctantly fell under the spell of the laptop-driven dance party) to name a few.

First, here's the setlist gleaned from the one I snagged when the roadie threw it out, it bounced off like 10 hands, landed on the stage-side of the rail and I nearly broke my goddamn pelvis getting it. Worth it? Yes.

Son et Lumiere/Inertiatic ESP
    Goliath
    Cotopaxi
    Roulette Dares
    Viscera Eyes
    Halo of Nembutals
    Eunuch Provacateur
    Ilyena
    Teflon
    Drunkship
    Luciforms
    The Widow
    Wax Simulacra

About 1 hour and 40 minutes--9:30 until after 11:00

Pre-show extravaganza sidenotes: After seeing Rahzel (great!) we went over to the smoking area and saw a white shuttle van pull up. I saw glasses and a cup of soup and I exclaimed, "Honey! I think that's Omar and he's eating soup!" haha --It was. And the whole rest of the band as well. They got out and I yelled "We love you, Volta!" Ikey and Thomas turned around and smiled and waved, Omar turned and smiled, and Cedric just looked up. You know. =) Fun stuff.

Then coming back from seeing Monotonix and a few other bands, we decided to go smoke again before seeing Method Man and Redman. Pete said "hey, let's go around the corner first." And I was like no, I wanna smoke first, blah blah. I went with him anyway and lo and behold, there's Cedric along the side rail watching Method Man and Redman in his awesome (seemingly custommade) Raiders jacket. Pete met him and got his Volta hat signed with a metallic marker (good planning!) while I just watched from nearby and swooned. Awesome. After that, there was a steady stream of people appoaching him to get pictures, sign stuff, etc. He stayed for about 5 minutes of that and then went backstage again. I bet that gets old for him, but people were SO complimentary and respectful. I wonder if he gets annoyed or flattered. He was really sweet to everybody, so...

First of all, if you haven't been to a show @ Red Rocks, get your ass there immediately. The monoliths enclosing all sides of the stage provided a perfect setting for seeing the enigma that is a Mars Volta show. In fact, at one point, Cedric said something like, "We used to not have enough money to even get into places like this, and one time we came here to take pictures where we thought it's looks the most like Mars. It's pretty weird to be playing here now." No backdrop (although Dandy Warhols and others had backdrops earlier) but it was perfect with the colored swirling lights playing against the huge rock behind them the whole show.

Cedric greeted us with "Good Morning" and they launched into Son et Lumiere/Inertiatic right away as the husband and I freaked the fuck out and danced our asses off in the front row. (No rail against the actual front row--just lots of space to dance on your own wooden "stair". Photogs allowed for like 5 minutes and then they get kicked out. Rad. )

Goliath came next and though it was short, which definitely feels as weird as everyone's been saying about other shows this tour, Cedric took the opportunity to pull some shenanigans. =) He climbed over the rail, walked along the front row right in front of us and proceeded to lie in the lap of a seated security guard by the rail, facedown. Pete (husb) screamed "Spank him" because it appeared that that was indeed what Cedric wanted the guy to do. hahaha. Instead, the guy looked perplexed and shy and kind of moved his legs slightly so Cedric slid down them onto the ground, got up, tossed the chair onto the stage, then returned to the stage and did like a shimmy dance sliding down the chair onto the floor during the next verse.

At one point Cedric threw his micstand in the air between TP and Juan all the way over everybody and seemingly into the dark void behind the stage. Surreal and amazing moment for some reason. A couple of donkey kicks and inspired dancing for sure, but Ced wasn't as acrobatic as we've sometimes seen him. In the middle of the set, he burped into the mic and said, "I don't know how you guys do it. I fart and I get short of breath up here." So true. The combo of all those stairs and the altitude were brutal. He was super energetic, though, and very into it the whole time AND spot on with this vocals. Holy shit I really don't know how this guy keeps improving all the fucking time. Isn't there a ceiling on how good of a vocalist you can become? Anyway...

Before Eunuch, Cedric said, "I've been saying this a lot on this tour and these guys are gonna roll their eyes behind me, but when we first started this band a long time ago after leaving our other band, people would always wanna know why and this was our response." *proceeds to slay Eunuch*

Near the end of Luciforms, Cedric went into a couple verses of Sergio Mendes' The Look of Love. Take a listen if you haven't heard it. It fit SO perfectly with what was going on in the song that after they were done with that part, Omar was grinning from ear to ear and I saw him say, "That's great!" SO cute. Outro to Roulette was fucking beautiful--it put the audience in a trance-like state. Or maybe that was just me. Hard to tell. =)

Omar was really into the show the entire time, rocking out SO much at the beginning especially. TP was an animal as usual--too funny to see him try so hard to hold back on some of the gentler songs. He strains so hard then but makes it look SO effortless when he's destroying the drums other times.

Crowd was good, took some loosening up, but those around me started to do so when they saw us throwing our hands up, dancing our asses off and singing along at times. That's always a nice feeling to show people it's okay to fucking dance at a Volta show. It's a must, really, in my opinion, but to each her own.

At the end (Widow and Wax--enough has been said about the ineffectual nature of that closer combo--whatevs) Cedric said, "Thanks for sticking around" and Omar mouthed thank yous and did "hand bows" to like 12 different sections of the crowd. Really sweet and sincere.

Overall............ holy shit. The Mars Volta. Fuck. See you in Philly next month, guys.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29120161@N03/
    Last edited by yeahfontaine; 09-24-2009 at 05:58 PM.

here's my official sufjan review:

http://www.skipster.us/2009/09/gig-r...-92309-ithaca/

I saw Mono last night. It was incredible. Their tour just started, so they're probably on their way out west. You should go. Their effects make it sound like there are 12 guitars on stage. It was at the worst club in all of the world. Sound bleed from an upstairs stage. Practically zero sight lines. Smelled like mold. It was my first time seeing them. Really, you should go.

So I went to the Glasshouse in Pomona for the first time last Friday to check out Bajofondo. Glasshouse is pretty cool except there were hardly anyone there (about 70 some odd peeps). Excellent performance from Bajofondo, here are some videos I took that night:

BD and I checked out TAPFS yesterday in L.A.
    I'll keep it short and sweet. These guys are fucking amazing.
    If you are any kind of Floyd fan, this is well worth seeing.

28 September USA Kansas City, MO Uptown Theater
    29 September USA St. Louis, MO Scottrade Center
    OCTOBER 2009
    01 October USA Chicago, IL Rosemont Theater
    02 October USA Minneapolis, MN State Theater
    03 October USA Minneapolis, MN State Theater
    05 October USA Pittsburgh, PA Benedum Center
    06 October USA Pittsburgh, PA Benedum Center
    07 October USA Washington D.C. Warner Theater
    09 October USA Clearwater, FL Ruth Eckerd Hall
    10 October USA Miami, FL The Fillmore @ Jackie Gleason Theater
    11 October USA Orlando, FL Hard Rock Live
    13 October USA Jacksonville, FL The Florida Theater
    14 October USA Atlanta, GA Fox Theater
    15 October USA Knoxville, TN Tennessee Theater
    17 October USA Durham, NC Durham Performing Arts Center
    18 October USA Canton, OH Memorial Civic Center
    20 October USA Hershey, PA Hershey Theater
    21 October USA Ashbury Park, NJ Paramount Theater
    23 October USA Upper Darby, PA Tower Theater
    24 October USA Hartford, CT NE Dodge Music Center
    25 October USA Manchester, NH Verizon Wireless Arena
    26 October USA Boston, MA Orpheum Theater
    27 October USA New York, NY Hammerstein Ballroom
    29 October CAN Montreal, QC Bell Centre
    30 October CAN Quebec City, QC Colisee Pepsi Arena
    NOVEMBER 2009
    01 November CAN St. John, NB Harbour Station
    02 November CAN Moncton, NB Coliseum
    03 November CAN Halifax, NS Metro Arena

Last edited by Suffacated; 09-26-2009 at 05:34 PM.

I just came back from Phoenix and Passion Pit. Awesome! They played "Fences" and "Playground Love" and everything else.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Manic Street Preachers last night were fucking amazing. I put them near the top the list of best performances.

Not my video and the audio is terrible, but their opener is one of my favorite songs:

Their closer is also one of my favorite songs. The audio is good in this one:

Upcoming shows:

Just got back from Datarock. What a fun night! Esser, the opening act, was outstanding. The record is out in the UK now and should be heading stateside in a month or so. Worth checking out.
    Datarock? SO MUCH FUN. Their visuals alone are reason to go see them. Dirty Datarock Dancing with members of Datarock put in Dirty Dancing scenes. Random clips of Sixteen Candles. The highlight? "Fa Fa Fa" for the encore...followed by the band playing "Time Of My Life" from Dirty Dancing over the P.A., which of course turned into a singalong. The guy who plays sax even played the sax solo.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I just came back from Phoenix and Passion Pit. Awesome! They played "Fences" and "Playground Love" and everything else.
    There are many more New Yorkers on this board than I previously thought...

I see a New York Thread on the horizon...

Last Night I went to the Glass House and saw Portugal. The Man with some other opening bands.

The first band that went on was a band called Moostache. Stupid name I know, but dont let that fool you. They were a really good entertaining band from Huntington Beach. They have this sound that is a cross between Pavement and The Walkmen. Still a young band and even though they were good still have room from improvement and look out for them to break out. Second best band of the night. Check them out.

Up next was a guy named Robert Francis. I only saw his last song which was pretty good due to the fact I went to the next door bar and had some drinks instead. Kind of wish I stuck around.

Then came up DrugRug. The first song they played was just loud and not good and I was almost tempted to go back to the bar. However my friends convinced me to stay and glad they did. They turned it around and were a lot better. They had a a female and male singer singing at the same time. Also for the last couple of songs they all switched instruments which I personally love seeing.

Then came Portugal. The Man. This was my third time seeing and the best show ive seen them play. Something about this band I just love so much in their live show. I dont really listen to them that much on CD but I will see them live every single time. The lead singer has such great stage presence and really knows how to make the stage his. Not to take away from the other members of the band who also had great stage presence also. They played a pretty good setlist which I dont remember by heart but was solid. Played for around 90 mins and was never a dull moment. Would highley recommend them for anyone to see.

Now I know I suck at writing and not the best written reviews but hopefully this might help someone discover new music.

old school

Grizzly Bear at The Metro and Sea Wolf at Schubas recently.

Feels good
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.