Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything to do in LA before the concert?

Default Anything to do in LA before the concert?

Im flying in with my gf and a friend from here (WI) is driving to LA from here to pick us us (road trip) the wednesday before coachella starts, none of us are familar with LA or SoCal at all so were just wondering whats there to do for 2 days before we travel to Indio, thanks for the tips
    much appreciated- Jeff

Default Re: Anything to do in LA before the concert?

go buy some churros.
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

We're going to Starbucks and wait for Paris.
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

What sort of stuff are you into? Shopping? Sports? Celebrity-spotting? Shows?

Head over to Venice beach................ Thats an easy way to kill a day. Plenty of shops, walls for graf, skaters, 1/2 naked people tanning, bums that try to chase you, street artists (every form), the beach, good food, etc..... btw you can buy churros and frozen lemomade on venice beach, and you will see why they are so great.
    "my ovaries are bigger than your testicles"

"Procrastination is like masturbation...It feels good until you realize you're screwing yourself"

I forgot to add the following

Venice beach can be very cheap if you want it to be. I believe its $5 or $8 to park on the city parking lot. A non-city lot can be around $25, and you have to leave your keys with them. Other than the parking fee, the only money you spend will be on food or if you want to buy stuff. Food prices range, but you can get pizza slices for $1, churros $1, hot dogs $1, and so forth. Other places that are sit down are a little pricey. There are showers and some what clean bathrooms on the beach.

"Procrastination is like masturbation...It feels good until you realize you're screwing yourself"

Venice beach is where I'll be camping for Coachella.
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

Quote Originally Posted by Twelve Shot Latte View Post
    Bums that try to chase you???..................

That actually sounds kinda fun. The bums here run from everybody.

Venice use to have a really bad drug and bum problem. They have cleaned up most of the bums, but some are still there. I try to head down to Venice Beach a few times a year, and over the years I have been chased by a few. Two or three years ago, there was a crack head lady (not whitney houston), that was yelling at her crack head boy friend (pimp?). He would go to walk away and she would pick up sand and throw it at him. They did this for at least 20-30min until the police showed up. The cops were just like, you two again, and that was it. Way before this, maybe 8 years ago, was when it was pretty bad. There would be a group of 10 bums, and they would follow people on the beach asking for money. It was pretty bad, but at least it's not like that anymore.

anyone else have venice beach stories?

Quote Originally Posted by dontfeedthebird View Post
    Venice beach is where I'll be camping for Coachella.

You just want to camp there for the $8 glass pipes

roscoe's house of chikin n' waffle!!!

Is it easy to sneak into Venice Beach? Do I need a ticket?

Lurker

Fuck dude, it's LA!! I would personally avoid the "touristy" locations. Hollywood is FUCKING lame, unless you're into stuck-up people with too much money or pretending to have it. I would definitely check out the Getty Museum, the architecture and view of West LA is beautiful. There's more museums as well on Miracle Mile and Dowtown. Silver Lake has some pretty good restaurants and Echo Park has some very cool "dive bars" without the Hollywood attitude (for now at least....) I personally find walking in Little Tokyo very relaxing and the food is not bad at all. The San Pedro fisher's market has EXCELLENT seafood, although it is basically at the end of the 110 (South...South....LA....County) Hope it helps!

vinylmartyr

There are lots of cool bars in Hollywood without the attitude. White Horse, Power House, and the Snow White are great. Just avoid the Sunset Strip bars.

vinylmartyr

I would say just avoid downtown if at all possible especially at night.

Do a google search for Tokyo Delves (if you like sushi)...it's the shit...seriously. It's definately NOT a normal sushi bar. It's near Universal Studios and it is AMAZING. I said in another thread that I've driven all the way from San Diego just to go there on more than one occasion.
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GTI_GRL View Post
    Head over to Venice beach................ Thats an easy way to kill a day. Plenty of shops, walls for graf, skaters, 1/2 naked people tanning, bums that try to chase you, street artists (every form), the beach, good food, etc..... btw you can buy churros and frozen lemomade on venice beach, and you will see why they are so great.

that is exactly what I want to do. Me and my friends are flying in from the UK on the Wednesday and hang out in LA during Thursday and head down to Indio Thursday evening to get pitched.

Always wanted to go to Venice Beach.
    Explore, Dream, Discover.

It's cool in Venice Beach...look for giant Tiki statues (either made of cement, or spraypainted). That's all done by Tiki Jay One...click my Myspace link and look in my friends list for his site. He's cool as hell and does a $hitload of work in Venice.

-- J

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    Just avoid the Sunset Strip bars.

really? Why? I've always wanted to do Whiskey a Go Go etc......
    Explore, Dream, Discover.

I'd avoid Hollywood touristy stuff as well - the Getty is a good suggestion. If you go to Venice try to check out the actual canals that are left there. Also it's right next to Santa Monica which has good shopping, restaurants, beach, boardwalk and pier.

Dodger stadium is a really beautiful baseball park - it'll be baseball season - you should see if they'll be in town and check out a game.

If you can squeeze in a trip to San Diego I recommend it - lots to do down there. Old Town (historic buildings and great Mexican food), harbor (ships to tour), gaslamp downtown (bars and restaurants), Petco park (Padre baseball games), Balboa park, and touristy stuff like the zoo and Sea World.

Hope that helps - enjoy SoCal!

Im arriving @ L.A the 25.... Im thinking hit that night to Sunset,the 26 I think im going to venice again,the last time I went there was this past september and have a blasttt!!! then the 27 im gonna took a greyhound bus to Indio!!

Eat a meal at El Coyote on Beverly Blvd (west of La Brea, east of Fairfax). There might be a glam rock star at the bar, or Tim Roth (last time I was there). Awesome margaritas, awesome Mexican food for tourists.

If you have a car and Thursday free - get out of town and go to Joshua Tree with a stop at Pappy & Harriet's Pioneertown http://www.pappyandharriets.com/index2.html. I saw Daniel Lanois play there a couple of summers ago and Rickie Lee Jones played there recently, it's a great spot.

yea thanks a lot everyone, sounds like Venice is the place to be, i actually did wanna hit up hollywood to see the area and get some cool pictures, wanted to see long beach too... i want to drive through compton down cranshaw no matter how scared the girls im with are, just not gettting out of the car lol.
    buck for a hotdog and pizza and whatnot sounds like quite the deal in Venice too, thats the kind of lifestyle im gonna live for the week so im not draining my whole bank account

hey arbold wheres that chiken and waffle place at? you mentioned it but never said where it was..
    i think im gonna go to jay leno or the price is right because when i did an online search of the free tickets today i signed up for jay leno just out of curiosity and ended up getting 3 tickets for the tuesday show so it seems like that'll be easy to obtain
    thanks again for all those who replied, i hope it helps anyone else that was in the same boat as i
    jeff

Out of curiousity, where is a good place (area) to stay less expensively in LA? I usually hit the Getty and some of the other museums and hang out in Venice for a bit... hotels near Venice and Santa Monica seem to either be really shitty or kind of pricy, though.

Try the Farmers Daughter motel on Fairfax...pretty cheap, clean, and near Hollywood Blvd & the Farmers Market.

-- J

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Out of curiousity, where is a good place (area) to stay less expensively in LA? I usually hit the Getty and some of the other museums and hang out in Venice for a bit... hotels near Venice and Santa Monica seem to either be really shitty or kind of pricy, though.
    good question were thinking the same but i want to stay in Venice or S.Monica... nice hotels dont really matter as long as its in a decent area where we dont have to use our guns for protection lol

vinylmartyr

I have lived in both Venice and Hollywood. Both for many years and I would say in Hollywood there is by far more to do. Once you have walked down the boardwalk in Venice once or twice your done. Its awesome don't get me wrong but unless you plan on doing some surfing or sunbathing you will get bored fast. You can walk down to the Santa Monica pier and ride the ferris wheel.

hollywood. everybody comes to hollywood.
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

are there any cool places to camp around there, i checked into hotels and it looks like theyre pretty expensive around the venice area
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flora mouse View Post
    really? Why? I've always wanted to do Whiskey a Go Go etc......
    The Whiskey is historical, as is the Roxy, but now, they book lame bands for the most part.

Here are some cool things to do:

Amoeba Music (HUGE record shop.....bigger then the Virgin/HMV)

Melrose Avenue (used to be the center of punk/new wave fashion...sorta like Chelsea)

Rodeo Drive (most posh street in the world...look at the lost souls spending $1,000s on Gucci purses, and you will be thankful that you don't need such excess!)

Kings Head Pub in Santa Monica - most authentic British restaurant/pub in the area...they have a shop with British sweets/biscuits

UCLA - if you want to see a huge American university

There are some cool areas in Downtown L.A., but they are often hard to find

Dodger Stadium - if there is a baseball game, you can sit outdoors and experience 40,000 yanks cheering for a sport that most of the world can't be bothered....its like a yank going to a premiership match...fish outta water!

The drum circle on Venice Beach is cool. Get stoned, lay on the sand, and listen to those crazy folk. But you know whats infinitely better than L.A.?

San Diego.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird404 View Post
    I want to go but fuck, thats a lot of money...