Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goldenvoice Refuses to Cancel Concert by Promoter of Murder of Gays

Unhappy Goldenvoice Refuses to Cancel Concert by Promoter of Murder of Gays

http://bit.ly/b3XGX

"Faggots... have to die" Sings Buju Banton, Booked for Concerts in L.A., San Francisco, Philadelphia, Chicago and Other Cities

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 27 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AEG Live and its subsidiary, Goldenvoice (producer of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival), refuse to respond to requests from the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center to cancel its concerts by Buju Banton, a reggae singer whose songs include lyrics that promote the brutal and violent murder of gay and lesbian people. He is scheduled to perform at Los Angeles' Nokia Club on October 14, in San Francisco on October 10 and in Philadelphia on September 12.

Banton is also scheduled to perform at House of Blues venues in Chicago (Oct. 1), Las Vegas (Oct. 15), Dallas (Oct. 20) and Houston (Oct. 22). After the Center urged Live Nation, which operates the House of Blues, to cancel its Buju Banton concerts, Chief Executive Officer and President Michael Rapino responded by saying the company is "looking into the situation."

Through his music, Banton promotes a culture of violence against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people, singing in his most notorious song "Boom, Bye Bye" that "faggots get up and run" when he comes, that "they have to die," and that he will shoot them in the head or "burn them up bad."

"In his home country of Jamaica, Banton and his fellow performers of 'murder music,' have helped to create and sustain a culture in which violence against LGBT people is not only tolerated, it's sometimes celebrated," said L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center Chief Executive Officer Lorri L. Jean. "The Center is an ardent supporter of free speech and artistic expression, but we cannot -- and will not -- tolerate speech in any form that promotes violence against LGBT people."

In 2004 the House of Blues responded to pressure from the Center and the LGBT community, eventually canceling a concert at its West Hollywood venue by Capleton, a reggae singer who also promoted violence against gay people. And just a year later, the company eventually agreed to cancel a West Hollywood concert by Sizzla, a performer who sang lyrics that included:

"I go and shoot queers."

"It makes me angry that acts such as Banton continue to get booked, and that we have to continue to demand that such performers be denied a platform to promote hate and violence against LGBT people," said Jean. "If these were artists who sang about murdering any other group of people, no one would be booking them. Promoters, especially huge businesses like AEG Live and Live Nation, must finally understand that there can be no excuse for booking performers who glorify the murder of, or violence against, LGBT people."

The Center has created a web page, www.lagaycenter.org/StopHateLyrics, where the public can take action to stop concerts by Banton, and urges peaceful people in every town where Banton is booked, and throughout the country, to make it clear that there is no place in America where such abhorrent messages are permissible.

About the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center

Since 1971 the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center has been building the health, advocating for the rights and enriching the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. Our wide array of services and programs includes: free HIV/AIDS care and medications for those most in need; housing, food, clothing and support for homeless LGBT youth; low-cost counseling and addiction-recovery services; essential services for LGBT-parented families and seniors; legal services; health education and HIV prevention programs; transgender services; cultural arts and much more. Visit us on the Web at: www.lagaycenter.org.

Default Re: Goldenvoice Refuses to Cancel Concert by Promoter of Murder of Gays

Buju Banton is the new Jack Johnson
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Shit like this amazes and horrifies me.

Yeah, Jamaicans don't like gays. Where the fuck has everyone been for (well for fucking ever) Buju rocks imo. Sizzla too. I've seen them both numerous times. The reason they get booked is cuz they put on great live shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

Hitler was quite the public speaker too, i hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

One love.

Young blood

Maybe in Jamaica a group of gays is called a murder.

and when he says "faggots have to die" he actually means faggots have to "dye"

THE, ******, THE

Young blood

Maybe hes old timey and by ****** he means cigarettes, and when he say he shoots queers he means he likes taking nude photos of men in funny hats.

Young blood

Im not sticking up for the Jamaicans singers, Im just saying they look the same and you cant understand a goddmm word they are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    Yeah, Jamaicans don't like gays. Where the fuck has everyone been for (well for fucking ever) Buju rocks imo. Sizzla too. I've seen them both numerous times. The reason they get booked is cuz they put on great live shows.
    This is exactly what i was thinking. I guess Bad Brains shouldn't be booked anywhere either.
    The White Stripes 9/18

yeah, people don't realize that Rastas are basically fundamental Christians that smoke weed.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

Banton's a particularly spectacular arsehole though, it must be said.

Title of thread may be a little sensationalist, but I can't fault the sentiment.

Well, in all honesty, reggae eventually had to run out of usable song lyrics to promote the legalization of marijuana, so this is just the next logical extension.

Weed --> homophobia. Makes sense somehow.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Nothing you just said makes any sense at all.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights (to kill gays)
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Young blood

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Nothing you just said makes any sense at all.
    Sure it did. Passive wants to kill all black people.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

The man has a point, people. If we all just listened to Rastafarians a little more, think how much better off the world would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Then how would you make a living?

He'd be dead, so it wouldn't matter.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    He'd be dead, so it wouldn't matter.
    Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

1. People should have the right to say anything without being protested against by special interest groups. If gay-hating reggae fans want to attend a gay-hate reggae show, so be it. His financial interests shouldn't be affected by non-fans.

2. He wrote the song in question when he was 15. Everyone under-21 is more or less retarded, so stop holding it against young-him.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

If he's got the right to say whatever he wants about the gayfolk, then by God the gayfolk have an equal right to say he's talking stupid bullshit.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 08-27-2009 at 03:30 PM.

He has the right to say it. People have the right to protest against it. Demanding an event promoter to drop them because of what they say is a bit much, but encouraging a boycott of the performer and their show makes sense. If you say ignorant, violent shit, people are bound to react.

EDIT: ^ What she said.

What MP said.

who cares Reggae sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    1. People should have the right to say anything without being protested against by special interest groups. If gay-hating reggae fans want to attend a gay-hate reggae show, so be it. His financial interests shouldn't be affected by non-fans.
    Hate speech and inciting violence are both illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    2. He wrote the song in question when he was 15. Everyone under-21 is more or less retarded, so stop holding it against young-him.
    He still performs it, and performs it for adults I might add. I don't still repeat the things I said when I was a kid, because I'd sound like a fucking idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Demanding an event promoter to drop them because of what they say is a bit much, but encouraging a boycott of the performer and their show makes sense. If you say ignorant, violent shit, people are bound to react.
    This. I'm fully for people protesting and complaining against him, but realistically, hurt feelings shouldn't dictate and police what someone's art is. If he wasn't popular and enough people were offended, he wouldn't have a career any longer. The people that attend the shows either agree with him, are ignorant of his lyrics, or don't care. Nobody is going to go away from his show and kill a gay person, so he's not inciting violence.

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    Hate speech and inciting violence are both illegal.
    This isn't fully true. Hate speech can be argued to be protected under the first amendment. Because it comes in the form of a song, it would be almost impossible to challenge the legality of it. Same argument for inciting violence.