Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Scalper Destruction

Lurker

Default Ebay Scalper Destruction

Anyone want to formulate some system to create fake Ebay accounts and bid the scalpers way up only to not pay them and do this continuously until come Coachella they are holding their dicks. I'd love to start something here with all you other bitter kids to try and fuck these scum suckers some how. Doesn't have to be Ebay we could just find their homes and kidnap their pets or crap on their doorsteps I don't know. Pull a number 6 on them. I'm open to suggestions.

And anyone reading this who has their tickets and some opinion on when I should have bought mine or what I should be spending my time doing instead I'm really not interested in your theories. I have tickets but no thanks to scalpers and really I'm just tired of scum like them.

Thanks!

Love,
    Me

Default Re: Ebay Scalper Destruction

How about just reporting them to eBay? Isn't it against eBay policy to offer concert tickets for more than their face value?

vinylmartyr

I don't mind people that start their listing at like .99 and seeing what happens. The people that are getting $1000 for a 3 day pass are up to no good. They are having their friends bid them up. The people who are selling one day passes and have deceptive listings are terrible too.

vinylmartyr

It seems like the market for a 3 day pass is around $650 to $700. Anything more than that is a seller being dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    How about just reporting them to eBay? Isn't it against eBay policy to offer concert tickets for more than their face value?
    No, it should be though.

vinylmartyr

I have reported every auction for a single 3 day that has sold for more than $1000. Or if the listing is deceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    there are certain states which won't allow scalping and ebay adhere's to that policy. the state of california isn't such state and scalpers aren't breaking any laws on ebay

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I think you guys need to have a better understinding of the laws. First of all in California it's legal to sell tickets for more than face value. On Ebay it doesns't matter what you start the ticket price at if people think it's worth a thousand dollars to go to coachella then they will pay it. 99 percent of the tickets on ebay are started at prices of face value or lower. You will find some 'BUY IT NOW" tickets at above face value but again, nothing wrong with it, nothing illegal about it. If a ticket agency or ticket broker can profit legally why not the average person? Hell, ticket brokers never sell for face value or less and there is no bidding. I understand people are upset that ticket prices are going so high but you could have even avoided ticketmaster fees and had a month to buy if you got tickets from the helper near the glass house. I say next year everyone buys an extra ticket to scalp and it will make their weekend more affordable when they resell it. It's legal so play the game.

yea its fuckin sick, although i did buy MY ticket (3day) in time I spent 400 bucks with FREEEEEEEEE shipping on 1 sunday pass, thats complete bullshit but she stressed me out complaining on not being sure if she was going so i just got it to have her shutup
    ill make fake accounts all day, those fucks dont deserve shit from us but face value

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    I have reported every auction for a single 3 day that has sold for more than $1000.
    I'm missing the logic behind this. If someone wants to pay a grand when they can wait for another auction and get it for 650, what do you care what someone is willing to pay?

Or if the listing is deceptive.
    That's great. Everyone should report deceptive auctions but if there isn't anything deceptive and someone wants to pay a grand for a ticket then let them pay a grand. The seller is obviously happy with the profit and the buyer is happy they get to go to the event. No one is forcing someone to pay these prices. It's an auction, dont' bid, don't go. If it's not worth it then that's that.

vinylmartyr

Reporting them does jack shit. I just do it cause I know what they are up too. I am all good with people selling tickets though.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I'm missing the logic behind this. If someone wants to pay a grand when they can wait for another auction and get it for 650, what do you care what someone is willing to pay?
    i agree. where's the anger coming from? why is everyone so concerned with what's happening outside of their own control? are these same people pissed when they see someone driving a ferrari or buying a $5million home because they can't afford it? why do you care what people pay for tickets? are you upset when someone pays more for a home than what's it's worth?

I was talking about this in another thread. In some states, ebay restricts what the highest resale price is (a certain percentage above face value). It would work if it was for all tickets everywhere. This is their policy for those states and has one major loophole: It's only for those states. I'm not sure which ones they are, but here's the policy that I think needs to be revamped and enforced:

"The face value of a ticket is the price printed on the ticket plus associated fees.

Please note that for listings containing more than one ticket, enter the face value of a single ticket and not the total of all tickets together.

The tickets you are listing are for an event taking place in one of the U.S. states or Canadian provinces that regulates the resale of tickets. For tickets listed with reported face values of $300 and higher, eBay sellers are required to provide proof of the ticket's face value in the item description, in the form of a partial scan of the actual ticket - clearly showing the face value and the event date.

Important note: State regulations limit the resale values only for residents of the actual state in question. Out-of-state buyers and sellers may lawfully receive amounts greater than face value for their tickets.

Remember, according to eBay policy, sellers who falsely represent the true face value of any tickets may be permanently suspended from eBay. They may also be subject to criminal prosecution"

Another thing that would need to be more closely monitored is tickets under $300 face value. Even here in New york, sellers mark up the face value giving them a higher price cap for selling.

vinylmartyr

Hey I got some tickets up on ebay right now. Will you guys put some fake bids in for me?

I will bid one MILLION dollars

vinylmartyr

Awesome I hope some sucker outbids you.

What would be the point of bidding tons on a ticket and not paying? Its just going to cause some poor soul who didnt get their tickets from ticketmaster to be upset; not the seller. He will just relist the ticket.

vinylmartyr

One honest bidder puts in a max they will pay. Then a dishonest bidder will bid it up just a bit to make the auction end for more. Sometimes they over bid to see what the next highest bid is then retract the bid and have someone else bid right under the honest persons max.

i understand what you're saying. i agree that it is dishonest but i'm missing why it's damaging to anybody? what's the concern? why is it so important to everyone that they're taking time out of their day to report this to ebay? the scalpers are in no way harmed by these reports

Lurker

Because it hurts my soul to know that people make a living this way. Not just coachella but scalping in general seems to go against the entire spirit of a concert or any sort of collective music experience. Argue the market all you want people are willing to pay because money is not an issue to some people. Tickets would not have sold out at such a rate if scalpers did not buy so many tickets in anticipation of a sell out. If 30% of the scalpers did not buy tickets I would have had time to figure out how I was going to buy my tickets after I tried the first time before they sold out. It's less the prices that bother me and more knowing that so many of the tickets went to people who were just waiting to reap the benefits of total deuchery.
    Last edited by KolbySexualHealing; 02-18-2007 at 10:05 AM.

You want to know how to destruct ebay scalpers? Ignore them.

I've noticed those with the extremely high mark-up as a starting bid or "buy it now" option have mostly 0 bids. Goes to show not everyone's a sucker. Let them relist it until they lower it to a price that's reasonable, and the only way to do this: ignore the listings.

By the way, putting in fake bids? It just gives a false impression of the market value and in the end, you're just going to fool the fans and help the scalper. So again, I say ignore the scalpers with the ridiculously high mark-ups.

It gives me nothing but joy when I see them w/ zero bids.
    Last edited by eudaemonia; 02-18-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eudaemonia View Post
    You want to know how to destruct ebay scalpers? Ignore them.
    i agree. you don't have to bid. the fake bids aren't winning. you don't have to pay the high prices

Quote Originally Posted by KolbySexualHealing View Post
    Because it hurts my soul to know that people make a living this way. Not just coachella but scalping in general seems to go against the entire spirit of a concert or any sort of collective music experience.
    huh? Why does it hurt your soul? I never knew there was a "spirit" of concert going and I have been to hundreds. Hell scalping has helped me get tickets to the World Series for half price because they were stuck holding on to them as the national anthem was being sung. Thank god for scalpers.

Argue the market all you want people are willing to pay because money is not an issue to some people. Tickets would not have sold out at such a rate if scalpers did not buy so many tickets in anticipation of a sell out. If 30% of the scalpers did not buy tickets I would have had time to figure out how I was going to buy my tickets after I tried the first time before they sold out.
    You have no way of putting any sort of number on the amount of people scalping. The fact is there are lesst than 400 tickets on ebay. That's hardly an amount that could have helped you. 400 tickets. Out of what?

Lurker

huh? Why does it hurt your soul? I never knew there was a "spirit" of concert going and I have been to hundreds. Hell scalping has helped me get tickets to the World Series for half price because they were stuck holding on to them as the national anthem was being sung. Thank god for scalpers.

You have no way of putting any sort of number on the amount of people scalping. The fact is there are lesst than 400 tickets on ebay. That's hardly an amount that could have helped you. 400 tickets. Out of what?
    Clearly we go to concerts for different reasons. I'd be curious to hear a shortlist of those hundreds of concerts you've been to.

Let me ask you this: if an event is going to sell out on its own accord based on the line up and the merrits of the festival and its reputation what need is there for brokers or scalpers? There are now clearly more than enough people who wanted to go and for whatever reason were not able to buy their tickets yet, but would have when their circumstances allowed it. Instead the tickets they intended to pay the fair face price for were bought by people who only sought to turn a profit, a large one at that. The market already existed in the tens of thousands of people that actually wanted to go.

I just really don't see how, even though this is technically legal, it is a fair part of the process or the pillar of commerce you seem to be regarding it as.

Quote Originally Posted by KolbySexualHealing View Post
    Clearly we go to concerts for different reasons. I'd be curious to hear a shortlist of those hundreds of concerts you've been to.
    Rolling Stones
    Weezer
    Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers
    Cracker
    Hole
    Nine INch Nails
    Suzanne Vega
    Tori Amos over and over and over again
    Prodigy
    Bad Religion
    Toad the Wet Sprocket
    Calexico
    Wilco over and over
    oldies like Roger Waters
    Rolling Stones
    George Thorouggood
    John Mellancamp

I can really go on and on and on, from sit down shows in tiny theaters to all out crazy shows like Marilyn Manson and Insane Clown Posse. From rap to pop to you name it.

Let me ask you this: if an event is going to sell out on its own accord based on the line up and the merrits of the festival and its reputation what need is there for brokers or scalpers?
    There isn't a need for lots of things that exist. If we only survived on things we "need" we wouldn't have computers and cell phones. Ticket agencies and selling tickets on ebay are legal legitimate businesses whether you like it or not. If you don't then you can lobby and get a law passed but there are tons of businesses that aren't a necessity.

There are now clearly more than enough people who wanted to go and for whatever reason were not able to buy their tickets yet, but would have when their circumstances allowed it. Instead the tickets they intended to pay the fair face price for were bought by people who only sought to turn a profit, a large one at that. The market already existed in the tens of thousands of people that actually wanted to go.
    You can't stop events from selling out. Less than 1 percent the total number of tickets are on ebay. You want to stop scalping, then make it illegal and have the promoter limit 2 tickets per person and only p/u at will call with ID. Scalping is legal, it's a business that puts food on peoples tables. You dont' like the ethics of the business, that is fine but there will always be concerts that sell out whether scalpers are involved or not.

I just really don't see how, even though this is technically legal, it is a fair part of the process or the pillar of commerce you seem to be regarding it as.
    Well that's why we disagree. In my opinion people are bidding so they know in advance what they are paying for these tickets. No one is saying they ahve to pay a billions dollars for tickets but if enough people want to then it's a good day for a ticket agency or a scalper. Honestly, the artist/industry/venue could all stop scalping tomorrow if they wanted to but they like the demand and being able to say shows are sold out. I just dont' see the point of protesting something like scalping. I've sold tickets an purchased tickets on ebays and sometimes you can get tickets for less than what they are at face value. You can do the same at a venue if you wait long enough. This event in particular NO ONE shoudl be upset about. less than 400 tickets on ebay out of how many? 40-50 thousand? People had how long to purchase tickets? A month? This isn't some club gig that sold out in 30 seconds.

huh? Why does it hurt your soul? I never knew there was a "spirit" of concert going and I have been to hundreds. Thank god for scalpers.

p.s.

toad the wet sprocket. very funny.

Glen Phillips is a fantastic singer songwriter. Certainly less funny than John Cougar I didn't even mention the Insane Clown Posse! Now that was some fun stuff but we can laugh at taste all day I suppose.

we can also speak about free will and stigma. i choose to rather not go than pay two to three times face value. im not some pollyanna who claims to never have bought from scalpers before. i have done so on the day or night of the show many times. and for less than face like you many times. but i choose to not be a part of the ticket agency system. i consider the issue similar to pollution. i cant end it all by myself, but i can choose to not contribute to it as much as possible. i also wish there was a stigma attached to using these agencies. you should feel dirty. or like an emo dweeb, at least.
    Last edited by chunk; 02-20-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Lurker

This event in particular NO ONE shoudl be upset about. less than 400 tickets on ebay out of how many? 40-50 thousand? People had how long to purchase tickets? A month? This isn't some club gig that sold out in 30 seconds.
    Ebay is not the only place these tickets are being sold by people who bought them just to sell them . I think it's pointless for either of us to have or continue to cite figures that are murky at best. Its clear that there are many people who did not get tickets and there are many people who did, a portion of which are not interested in coachella at all except for businees reasons.

I think it's important to acknowledge the difference between the guy who goes and buys extra tickets outside a show the night of and tries to turn a profit and sometimes gets buggered versus people who buy as many tickets as they can ahead of time and not only contribute to a sell out but then benefit from the scarcity they've in part created. Things sell out shit happens but people are manipulating the process. Yes it's legal but that doesn't make it right. And I am doing something about it.
    I'm not sure if you've been to coachella before but by comparison this year sold out extremely quickly. I've been the past 3 years and stretched to buy my tickets earlier than necessary out of a paranoia which always proved to be unfounded. This year some things were different but my timing was not and I still missed out.

I'm still going and I'm not mad because it sold out. I'm mad because there are people who care and wanted to go and now many of them can't because x amount of tickets went to people who don't care and have no interest in something myself and many others look forward to for 363 days out of the year. If there's no spirit there then you tell me why this means so much to so many people.
    Last edited by KolbySexualHealing; 02-20-2007 at 09:56 AM.

I guess that's the difference between us then, I don't really have the energy to be mad for folks who want to go to a show everytime they are sold out.