Thread: Signed coachella merch on ebay: any chance its real?

Default Signed coachella merch on ebay: any chance its real?

There are some autographed coachella promo flyers and cards on ebay, this seller seems to have three from 03-04, with Interpol, Killers, Jack Johnson etc. I assume the Libertines would be one of the harder sigs to get (unless pete needed crack money?) and I am 95% sure these are as fake as fake can be since they have no supporting docs to speak of.

Anybody have any reason to think otherwise?
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

Default Re: Signed coachella merch on ebay: any chance its real?

Anything is possible...I have an autographed 2008 booklet from Perry Farrell, but how would I prove it? I dunno...

I believe it

Killers, maybe. They weren't that big in 04, and they sold stuff at the tents pre-signed this year. But 75% of signed stuff on ebay is bunk. I'm into Tom Waits and occasionally check out the Waits stuff on ebay and you mean to tell me Tom signed the same photo over and over and over again to one seller who's been selling the same photo for sometime? Stuff sold through charities is usually authentic, though. I bought a 1998 signed Wilco print from the Fillmore in San Francisco from Jeff Tweedy's mom charity on ebay a few years ago. She threw in a free signed group photo.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    There are some autographed coachella promo flyers and cards on ebay, this seller seems to have three from 03-04, with Interpol, Killers, Jack Johnson etc. I assume the Libertines would be one of the harder sigs to get (unless pete needed crack money?) and I am 95% sure these are as fake as fake can be since they have no supporting docs to speak of.

if you're just running into people at the fest and getting sigs, what kind of supporting docs would there be?

At most, probably 20% of autographs are real on Ebay. You can never know for sure, however. Certificates of authencity mean nothing. If it's from a non-profit/charitable auction, chances are probably better they are real.

Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post

FTR - I have Pete stuff from Coachella - on both a ticket and their CD cover.

What's weird (and a red flag) about that listing though is the size. I don't remember seeing anything that was 11x17.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 08-27-2009 at 09:51 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

if there's any doubt that it's 100% real, why would you even consider buying it? if it doesn't have any authenticity docs to support it, then it doesn't have any value as a collectible, so the only reason to own it would be because you think it's cool and want to have it. but if you have doubt that it's the real deal, that kinda ruins it for you.

or, you could always ask the seller some questions about how they got it, the circumstances of the signing, etc. they could just lie, but if they say something really strange or clearly wrong, then at least you'd know it's not real.

Why does it even matter? I mean, if you think it's real, then you are going to derive the same amount of enjoyment from the item, whether it's fake or not. Unless you're just looking to buy and resell, but that's shady.

There was a shop close to where I used to work that sold signed photo's. The photo's were of actors, singers, soccer players etc. Somebody worked out that they were not authentic. The shop then tried the excuse that all they were saying was that the photo's were signed. Nowhere did it say that they were signed by those actual people.

Trading Standards did not agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Hahaha. "Signed" photos.

I don't understand why someone would pay any amount of money for a signature? You can't eat it, drink it, smoke it, drive it, put it on instead of shoes or carry your groceries in it? It won't serve you dinner, make your bed or take the trash out for you. What good does it do you and how does it make you a better person just because you have something that you didn't need in the first place with the signature of some person who could give two shits about you?
    I just don't understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Suffacated View Post
    I don't understand why someone would pay any amount of money for a signature? You can't eat it, drink it, smoke it, drive it, put it on instead of shoes or carry your groceries in it? It won't serve you dinner, make your bed or take the trash out for you. What good does it do you and how does it make you a better person just because you have something that you didn't need in the first place with the signature of some person who could give two shits about you?
    I just don't understand?
    Is somebody selling a marriage certificate on Ebay right now?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Yeah, I guess signed merch isn't for everyone, but if you really like a band/actor/etc, it can be a nice addition to a collection. To be honest, if it looks decent, I would probably buy it, if it wasn't too expensive. You'll end up paying a lot more for something that is certified. (And who really knows if that is the real thing?)

I guess the only way to know is to get it signed yourself. Of course, that's much easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    if you're just running into people at the fest and getting sigs, what kind of supporting docs would there be?
    A friend of mine got Brian Wilson to sign Pet Sounds for me as a birthday gift last year. When the record arrived in the mail, it included this photo of the actual signing happening:

(I covered my friend's face, as he might not want me spreading it all over the internet)

I've seen this sort of thing posted in autograph auctions on eBay, but even then there isn't really a guarantee that the item is legitimate. If I didn't know and trust the guy Brian looks so nervous about sitting beside, I might be dubious.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    I was in this one contest (I came in 3rd) and the winner won a truck. The winner then came back later and tried to sue because the truck only had an AM/FM radio in it and not a CD player .......idiot .... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine