Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss noise music.

Default Re: Let's discuss noise music.

We operate on a board of godless swine.

Wheels Of Cheese

Hah. Well Im certainly in support of this thread... its very hard to articulate (for me at least) whats so great about noise music. It's seems very natural to me, thats all I can come up with when people ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

there was a 5 year period where all I listened to was Noise Music...in fact I moved to Japan to simply be closer to the Japanese noise scene...atomsmasher, Merzbow and his numerous side projects, Pita, etc.

And for the record: I got into Noise music because of MBV.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

It's interesting that Japan is usually the country that sets the standard for noise music. Make up your own theories of repression etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    It's interesting that Japan is usually the country that sets the standard for noise music.
    Its because they put SOOOO much effort into what they do...it is much more of a spiritual thing there....
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

Default Re: Noise music in Esperanto

You guys can't be serious? And I took shit for being a Disturbed fan? I don't even think I have an aggression level to match this shit! (I do have a killer headache though...)

After I finish listening to the Pitchfork 500 of 00's, my plan is to tackle the recently released 30 album Hijokaidan boxset. I don't know if I'll make it through in any kind of reasonable amount of time. But there is a lot of live stuff there that I'm curious about given my love of The Incapcitants. I'm interested in buying it because not having context about the performances is frustrating, but I can't even begin to justify the 500 bucks...

I kind of wish you were writing an essay on the Incapacitants. I downloaded that box and listened to a little bit of it and I don't quite understand they're inclusion on your top ten. I'm curious as to what sets them apart from other noise groups for you. I have a bit of a stumbling block when it comes to power noise. I don't know what qualities separate the good stuff from the bad stuff.

I kind of wish you were writing an essay on the Incapacitants. I downloaded that box and listened to a little bit of it and I don't quite understand they're inclusion on your top ten. I'm curious as to what sets them apart from other noise groups for you. I have a bit of a stumbling block when it comes to power noise. I don't know what qualities separate the good stuff from the bad stuff.
    They are an interesting group for many reasons. They are just a couple normal guys that night as absolutely off the wall noise performers. At the same time, they practice restraint with releases that puts most Japanese noise artists to shame. Rather than released 80 cassettes in a year, they hold back and almost every release is well worth seeking out. At the same time though, this restraint isn't marked by excessive post-production or multi-tracking. It's about that perfect improvised moment or expressive live set.

They are also one of the few noise collaborations to survive this long without resorting to caricatures of their own work. Throughout their entire career they've managed to retain their individual voices and allow them to evolve while the product of their collaboration still manages to challenge and assert itself within their work. Far too many improvisational groups fall into an ebb and flow that isn't interesting... These guys duke it out on stage, never falling victim to routine or habit. Their sound design is unparalleled and they have no issues taking chances (and somehow their recordings seem to imply that they damn near always get it right).

It's aggressive, loud and vicious without the machismo or cliche of so much US noise, and it's not detached into any kind of contrived, obscure experiment. It's like punk rock. There is something incredibly appealing to me about recreational, hobbyist experimental music that has managed to take shape and evolve into what can be considered one of the pinnacles of the genre.

I almost wished the same....

I enjoy noise when used sparingly, in minor flourishes. As a genre, I am generally not a fan of noise, but I have found exceptions.

I've always thought I possessed a strong aversion to noise bands, but during further investigation, I have found that to only be partially true. I don't know enough specifics as of yet to comment on any particular performers, but now that I've begun regularly using lala to listen to music, I will continue to explore. There have been a few Merzbow tracks that I have found interesting, songs that don't have that overwhelming white noise quality about them.

I've seen HEALTH live twice now, and I found them to be comical. That type of noise music, I can't seem to understand.
    '99-'11...

I like big black does that count

Talking More from Pichismo! xD

Wikipedio says Pichismo is writing in Ido, not Esperanto:

Gleb Malcev (Ukrainia), fondis la punk-bando Pichismo. Pichismo kantas en diversa projetita lingui, interaltre Ido.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

This thread killed my high..
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

If you like noise-rock bands like The Jesus Lizard I highly recommend checking out the new Pissed Jeans album. Might be my favorite album of 2009.

I love the first KTL record so much. KTL is O'Malley from Sunn O))) and Peter Rehberg (PITA, honcho at Editions Mego). I wish I could have been at the Bastille performances where they actually accompanied the Dennis Cooper/Gisele Vienne theater piece (I got to see Jerk in seattle and it was a trip):

Last edited by wmgaretjax; 10-17-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Are Boredoms included here? Because I love Boredoms, and they can be noisy as fuck.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

the Boretronix tapes definitely qualify as noise.

ACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!

Poliiiiiiiizay!

I'm listening to the ATP bootleg right now. Goddamn, I've not gone through the whole thing yet. That was a show unlike anything else I've ever seen.

Let's get this thread riled up. Here's a 7" I picked up the other day. Did a rip and thought I'd share. It's fucking gnarly, so be warned... The A side is one of the damnedest things I've heard in a long while.

Merzbow + John Wiese - Free Piano

How is it, by your judgment? I'm downloading right now, but I'm interested to hear your take.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    How is it, by your judgment? I'm downloading right now, but I'm interested to hear your take.
    The first track is fucking incredible, really crisp. It's exactly what you'd expect given the parties involved. I'm not sure I'd be a huge fan of a whole album of these two nuking it out with this level of intensity. However, the second track is a little more restrained and there is a lot of potential there... I just wish it was a bit more polished, the production ain't too great on that cut (kind of a surprise with Wiese on board and given the first track).

They have an album they did together... Somehow I've not listened to it. That needs to change.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 10-17-2009 at 10:31 PM.

I haven't been to a noise show in ages (mostly because I've only been to less than 10 non-festival shows all year). I think the last thing I can remember is Wolf Eyes and that has to have been close to a year ago by now. I need to find some good local stuff. I just get nervous driving to Cleveland without car insurance.

I haven't been to a noise show in ages (mostly because I've only been to less than 10 non-festival shows all year). I think the last thing I can remember is Wolf Eyes and that has to have been close to a year ago by now. I need to find some good local stuff. I just get nervous driving to Cleveland without car insurance.
    Lots of badass shit noise-wise in cleveland.

Last awesome one I saw was Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, although that's debatable as to whether or not it's truly noise. It was fantastic, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Lots of badass shit noise-wise in cleveland.
    Anything specific I should keep an eye out for? There's some good stuff at this place http://www.myspace.com/nowthatsclass but a lot of it's more garage rock/punk type stuff I think. I'll probably go check out Plastic Crimewave Sound and Terminal Lovers though.

Listening to this EP makes me realize I've pretty much lost interest in power noise, at least on record. I like the second track a lot more. Shit like the first track is pretty great live, but I don't know, it's too samey on record for me to listen to a lot of it. Some times it feels like if you've heard one Merzbow track, you've heard them all. I know that's not necessarily true, but I guess I just need a bit more texture. That's part of why I like Wolf Eyes so much. They can pull the power noise stunts but usually in the context of more unique sounds and atmospheres, making it more like a well earned climax after several minutes of building and simmering and not quite knowing when it's going to finally explode.

I think John Wiese saves that Merzbow track. I know that he's the one chopping things up and breaking it apart.

Merzbow's power noise stuff is less interesting than the late 80s/early 90s concrete period. He's brought back the drums with his latest stuff which is nifty... Although it's really hit and miss.

Merzbow post-95 hasn't been very interested with dynamics. So what you are saying makes a lot of sense.

The music lately that has grown out of power noise has been awesome. I guess they are calling it power electronics... But bands like Yellow Tears are absolutely mopping the floor with these old farts. I'll rip one of my records and post it here when I get a chance.