Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss noise music.

Default Re: Let's discuss noise music.

Yeah. Most of the times I saw them were smaller house/warehouse shows... Almost always in the round. Generally they played stuff that was in the vein of whatever current album they were working on, but not really specific songs. Generally it was only two maybe three songs, but it was always pretty loud and epic. Just a mound of equipment including a few drum machines and a tape machine... Then a couple guitars and microphones with them just bouncing between different shit.

I actually got to see Pete Swanson do a set a few weeks back. It was tape machine, sampler, guitar and vocals. Very yellow swansish... Not quite as full, but still a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Check out At All Ends, Descension, and Psychic Secession.
    Wow, At All Ends is really excellent. Thanks for the recommendation Jared.
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium
    8/12 - FKA Twigs - El Rey (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    I actually got to see Pete Swanson do a set a few weeks back. It was tape machine, sampler, guitar and vocals. Very yellow swansish... Not quite as full, but still a lot of fun.
    How would one even go about finding where and when he's playing?
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium
    8/12 - FKA Twigs - El Rey (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Glad you like it.

It's not quite so simple finding out about these shows. For SF there are a couple calendars out there that people contribute to for all the low key shows. I'm sure there is something like it for the LA area. Also, just tracking down one or two venues that have noise/experimental shows and asking the people who do booking about good places to find out about the shows.

I bravely dove head first into the challenge of noise music when this thread was created. Before this thread I basically had no knowledge of this stuff. In the week or so that I have been searching around I can say that there has been some some really interesting stuff, to some pretty dull stuff (at least to me)

I dont really know where Boredoms stand in this but I just started listening to them in the last couple weeks and love it.

I like a couple Merzbow tracks, but not most of them.

I downloaded the Yellow Swan thing wmgaretjax put on here and really enjoyed the first track so I downloaded at all ends earlier today, but haven't given it enough listens to judge.

I feel like I should see some of these shows to get a real feel for what this is all about.

thanks for creating this thread!

The tape I uploaded is not the best place to start with YS, definitely check out the albums I mentioned before.

If the harsher stuff vibes with any of y'all, but you get bored with Merzbow... Definitely check out the whole American Tapes/Hanson Records crew. Wolf Eyes and Hair Police being the most prominent. From there the stuff tones down a little bit with Aaron Dilloway's solo stuff, Graveyards free jazz shit and the like. There is a lifetime of music in those tapes, many can be tracked down on various MP3 blogs (nonotfunnotno DOT blogspot DOT com).

Boredoms 7" Bryan was talking about:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zyiummnv3nt

Boretronix LP:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mmxdmdiwnmu

As best I can tell, the Boretronix LP is a bizarre compilation of stuff from the Boretronix tapes, but I swear I hear stuff in there that isn't in the tapes. Discogs says it's bootleg, but the dude at Aquarius I talked to says it was done by eye. Who knows... The 7" is outtakes from the tapes I believe.

The Smell is actually a really great place for noise in L.A. I saw Yellow Swans several times there and they had tons of noise nights. Some times No Age would play a noise set during those. This small place in east Hollywood off Santa Monica Blvd called Il Corral had a lot of noise shows too. I have no idea if it still exists.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Wow, At All Ends is really excellent. Thanks for the recommendation Jared.
    "Mass Mirage" is fucking great. That was the song that really clicked in for me and got me in to Yellow Swans.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    The Smell is actually a really great place for noise in L.A. I saw Yellow Swans several times there and they had tons of noise nights. Some times No Age would play a noise set during those. This small place in east Hollywood off Santa Monica Blvd called Il Corral had a lot of noise shows too. I have no idea if it still exists.
    I think once, a long time ago, I posted a thread on this message board asking if anyone knew what Il Corral was. But no one responded. And then I went and saw Wolf Eyes there anyway and it was awesome. But then Il Corral shut down and everything moved to Pehrspace. And then Zero-Point opened briefly but then it got shut down too.

Good story, right?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Il Corral was a fucking weird spot. A death metal band I know used to play there all the time, usually playing with noise acts

And the Smell is where i discovered noise for the first time, about 10 years ago
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Pehrspace is pretty cool, but they don't do as much noise as Il Corral used to.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Could someone throw me some suggestions of noise bands that use at least a somewhat coherent rhythm not just noise for the sake of being noise?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

check out Merzbuddha by Merzbow..

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Could someone throw me some suggestions of noise bands that use at least a somewhat coherent rhythm not just noise for the sake of being noise?
    Have you ever been into jazz? Check out some free jazz stuff. There are two primary origins of noise music (outside of the really fucking obscure). One is free jazz, and the other is futurism and everything that followed there.

I've introduced a few people to noise through Albert Ayler and Ornette Coleman, because the descent into noise is pretty tangible.

That said. Bryan's suggestion is great. Some of Wolf Eyes stuff has pretty steady rhythm (maybe Burned Mind?). Hair Police have that covered to an extent as well. Fuck Buttons are a current example of a much more concise convergence between noise and electronic pop. Their music is pretty superficial though.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 10-29-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Or the Boretronix record that Jared just upped. It's so badass.

Wolf Eyes is definitely a good starting point. Burned Mind, Dread, Dead Hills, Slicer, and Mugger are some good ones by them.

Since you like Throbbing Gristle, industrial is probably another good starting point. Most early industrial had a lot of overlap with noise. Bands you might want to check out besides the whole Throbbing Gristle/Psychic TV/Coil axis are Einsturzende Neubauten, S.P.K, Cabaret Voltaire, Test Dept., Foetus, Chrome, Current 93, Nurse With Wound, Controlled Bleeding, :zoviet*france:, Laibach, Clock DVA. A lot of those bands aren't outright noise groups, but they use a lot of elements and techniques that are noise related. There's also Whitehouse, which is more hilarious than actually good to me (sample lyrics "hungry for pain! hungry for pain! the agony! the ecstasy! THE AGONY! THE ECSTASY).

The Japanese make a lot of noise too. Aube is pretty cool. A lot of his releases have a certain theme that he builds his samples out of, like a heartbeat or sound of water or the sound of ripping pages out of a Bible.

I have a feeling Stinkbutt is already aware of this, but Boris With Merzbow - ROCK DREAM is fucking amazing

I'd echo what SD just said about industrial as well. Defintiely look into PIGFACE, which is a huge collaborative project helmed by Martin Atkins that at some point features just about every notable figure in the industiral/EBM scene
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

To be fair and openminded, I checked out WolfEyes...

And I get harrassed for DISTURBED? You gotta be fucking kidding me!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

better audio. better video. half way through is where it gets good.

All of Patrick's suggestions were great... Although almost every artist he mentioned has an overwhelming catalog that can be very daunting.

I'm not sure I'm gonna make it to the 1/2 way point.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Okay. Trying to be fair here. There was a best part there? My first reaction and thought was, " It's nice to know that even people with severe personality disorders have a chance at stardom." And that's coming from some out in left field, okay? I'll check afew more before I make the final call between dancing with adults and their pacifiers, or banging my head against a wall while stabbing my cat...how's that?

Does anybody in this thread give a shit if you like noise music in the first place?

I do like free Jazz Jared and thank you for the names and suggestions. Thanks Patrick for all the suggestions although I already knew a decent handful of them. I didn't care for Wolf Eyes before but those youtubes are great.

I want to get into noise more but things like Merzbow can be a bit much. I really enjoy Boredoms, Acid Mothers Temple (don't know if they count), Fuck Buttons, and maybe it's a bit to ambient to be considered noise but To Kill a Petty Bourgeoisie. I also love all the noise stuff Mike Patton does with Zu and John Zorn and cats like that so if anyone knows something up that alley let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Wheels Of Cheese

Are you guys sure Wolf Eyes is the best starting point? It's a little harsh... I had to ease my way in to them.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Well. Wolf Eyes have a LOT of material. Some of it is really really harsh and some of it is pretty accessible, for noise anyway. It's just finding the right releases.

Young blood

Is this thread strictly for noise bands? Is it going to veer into sub-genres?

Noise is not exactly a genre known for accessibility. I think it either clicks with you or it doesn't (i'm generalizing heavily, I know)
    last.fm

Sub-genres are fine. It's just a place for discussion about noise related shit. A lot of what I listen to is more noise influenced than straight up noise anyway.

OH, venues that are great for live noise shows in CA:

Echo Curio in Echo Park
    The Pharoah's Den in Riverside

A buddy of mine has been embedding himself well into the noise scene over the last couple years. He puts out a lot of casette releases

he releases a shitload of stuff all over the spectrum of noise. he goes be Endomentrium Cuntplow if you're interested in something newish

http://www.myspace.com/endometriumcuntplow
    last.fm