Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about bands that influenced the Beatles

Default Let's talk about bands that influenced the Beatles

I am going to do this a different way.

I am more or less done with the Beatles*. I remember listening to the self titled as a kid and Sgt. Peppers and I bought my own copies in high school/college of those and Abbey Road and enjoyed them and then got more and more and listened, mainly because I was trying to acquaint myself with music history. I bought into the myth that the Beatles did everything in modern rock first. I bought into the myth that they're the greatest band of all time.

And, basically, I want to move on. I am not going to plug my ears when I hear them at the grocery store. I am still going to sing along when some band I am seeing covers them. I will probably even leave their albums on my iPod (at least for now) and will have no problem playing them if somebody asks. I am not going to hide from the Beatles but I am not going to make any active effort to hear them.

Instead I want to spend time with others from the era (and even earlier) that I have neglected (at least relatively.)

So I wanna talk about the exciting, innovating bands of the 60s. And the first rock and roll artists from the 50s. And the country, blues, vocal, etc groups that inspired them.

* Unless someone really wants to explain why (read: explain why, not just state) that would be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Default Re: Let's talk about bands that influenced the Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I am going to do this a different way.
    The old way was posting this in another thread. I was just going to leave it up because the damage had already been done but since (a) there hasn't been any significant response and (b) even if it was half meant as devil's advocate or wrestling with my thoughts I haven't been able to get past it. I myself could argue with a few minor things here but the brunt of it remains, in my mind.

So, at any rate, if you wanna argue that I should consider the Beatles the greatest band of all time and/or should continue to listen to them this is what you wanna respond to.

Here's my essay on the Beatles:

The Beatles were terrible for much of their career. They were playing catch up their entire career and they fell apart for two main reasons: first their manager, who had been marketing them and keeping them mollified, died and, second, rock had grown up and the Beatles could no longer be just six months to a year behind the trends and they weren't good enough musicians to copy much of the music being made; they started to fall even further behind and it was becoming clear how much they were just followers and not innovators. They copied/watered down what bands such as the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, the Byrds, Pink Floyed, the Beach Boys, the Yardbirds, the Doors and many others were doing. One reason most everybody today sounds like the Beatles is because the Beatles sounded like all of their contemporaries.

They're important because they're important, because everybody knows them. They were popular because they regurgitated and redid things that the real innovators were doing several months or a year earlier and, most importantly, did so in a safe and easily marketable fashion. It is downright scary that things were so conservative in the US, UK, etc that the general public needed everything this watered down, this simplified. The fact that these bright cheery polite and proper clean cut white middle to upper class English lads were seen as rebellious is mind boggling.

What did they have going for them, other than the hype? They copied and distilled what most everybody else was doing so you don't have to listen to a bunch of bands to know what new was going on the 60s; 50 years later it doesn't matter that the Beatles were late on everything. Also, a real thing: they wrote really good melodies... though they did this in a time when rock was moving beyond that. They were the conservative force. Not the most conservative force - there were still crooners and folk singing the Great American Songbook - but the Beatles weren't leading in anything except record sales.

One of the most ridiculous things about Across the Universe (the film) is that it makes it seem like the Beatles had the pulse of the Western world (or at least the English speaking part) but you don't hear a bit of it in their lyrics. Baby won't you drive my car. They wrote silly pop songs about teenage love or nothing.

Beatlemania has created a modern myth and it is still powerful and still sells a fuckload of CDs. We know them because their music is not (all) bad and because they have been so built into the culture. Everybody covers a song by the Beatles in concert, partially because they know everybody will know it.

Now: I like the Beatles. I grew up on the Beatles; they usually make me feel happy. But they're still the only band I have used them for my birthday week artist a day gig where I got fucking sick of them shut it off; I preferred silence to more of their endless cheap melodies.

Now: I am not saying that nobody should listen to the Beatles. They're probably a good band to play for young children that aren't ready for the more difficult or risque stuff. And, well, there are a few albums by the Beatles that are really good. Sgt Pepper's, The Beatles and Abbey Road are all quite wonderful. Brian Epstein wasn't holding them in anymore and so everybody was writing their own songs and George Martin was at the height of his powers, making it sound good despite their limitations as musicians. Even without our cultures obsession with the Beatles these albums would all belong somewhere on some best of the 60s list. Revolver is pretty good too. I really like the originals on Beatles for Sale, leaving a fantastic 20 minute EP. There's not much beyond that that is essential.

Now: I am not saying that you shouldn't like the Beatles. I like the Beatles. Occasionally it is fun to relive my childhood and listen to happy music. Occasionally it is good to revisit one of the good albums they did. What, if anything, I would want to suggest is that some sense of history beyond just the Beatles is helpful for understanding the world of music.

The Rolling Stones were great musicians and the first modern rock band (if it wasn't the Crickets.) Ray Davies of the Kinks was a better songwriter than any of the Beatles and his lyrics (or at least more than the lyrics by the Beatles) were about something (and that's without going into Dylan, etc.) The Byrds were better conceptually, and were, with Pink Floyd and many others, were better at psychedelic music. And the Beach Boys were playing originals before the Beatles, started their own record company before the Beatles, did Pet Sounds a year before Sgt. Peppers and Brian wilson was not only a better producer than George Martin, he was a member of the band, too.

Next time I wanna listen to the Beatles I am going to try one of the above. Or the Yardbirds and their many fantastic guitarists. Or the Doors (well, despite how good they were they've probably gotten enough exposure, too.) Or the Who, another band that was actually musically innovative and culturally conscious. Or the Animals or the Sonics. Or Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin, artists that the Beatles could never have imitated musically. Or the Stooges or Black Sabbath, artists that the Beatles could never have copied the image of (since they were the establishment what was being rebelled against.) Or listen to the first rock 'n rollers like Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly or Jerry Lee Lewis or Eddie Cochran or Billy Fury. Or the people they got it from like Bo Diddley or Howlin' Wolf or Muddy Waters or... the list goes on and on.
    [Note: a few words were changed in the last few paragraphs.]
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 08-17-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I'm not sure if that's intended to be ironic or not.
    It wasn't irony. It was partially a response to the comment just above (in the original thread) about how tough it would be to write something fresh on the Beatles (not that I am suggesting that what I wrote was all that fresh) and partially me talking out loud (figuratively.)

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    QFT. Fuck the Beatles. I hope they don't make the list (though I'm sure they will)
    My initial response was going to be that you're going to far... but, well, I wanna move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    I'm sorry. That essay was pathetically near sighted.
    This does not make any sense to me at all. What am I missing in my analysis? I ask because I really am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by bullokz View Post
    i don't want to waste more time reading idiotic essays like that
    Thanks for your comment.

The Rolling Stones were great musicians and the first modern rock band (if it wasn't the Crickets.)
    Can I get an explanation of why this is important? Didn't Lennon/McCartney pen "I Wanna Be Your Man" to get them started?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Bands that influenced the Beatles?

Obvious choices off the top of my head: Elmore James, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, anything Phil Spector touched, girl groups, a lot of Motown, the Beach Boys, Billy Preston, Ravi Shankar (for George, anyway) . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

What's going on in this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Oh yeah, don't forget Frank Zappa and the concept album thing.

I like Phil Spector.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Little Richard.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Can I get an explanation of why this is important? Didn't Lennon/McCartney pen "I Wanna Be Your Man" to get them started?
    The Rolling Stones had been around and touring the UK before recording that single, opening for artists such as Little Richard, the Hollies and Bo Diddley. They also had a single before that one, a Chuck Berry cover. So while that was a bigger hit than the first one it seems silly to say that it got "them started."

Also, I will quote from the wikipedia article (which is, itself, quoting somebody else's review) on that song, because having just read it I think it really shows what I mean by saying that the Rolling Stones were really something new in a way that the Beatles weren't:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia article
    In his review, Bruce Eder says, "the Stones went into the studio and cut a slashing, savage rendition that betrayed not a trace of Beatlesque cuteness, Brian Jones', Keith Richard's, and Bill Wyman's amps were seemingly turned up to "11" while Mick Jagger turned the lyrics — which sounded like bold yearnings in Ringo's voice — into what could have been a prelude to sexual assault. That performance, coupled with Jones' distinctive (and equally savage) slide guitar work, said volumes about who the Stones were (versus the Beatles), even as it marked them as British rock & roll's premiere stylists, and put them out there on the cutting edge of what could even get played.
    I did not, however, know that Lennon and/or McCartney wrote that song. Also I am not sure I have heard either version.

UPDATE: Oh, wait. Yeah, I have heard the Beatles version; it just wasn't particularly memorable.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 08-17-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Oh, yes I have

It's interesting that in being done with the beatles you are more interested in moving backwards than forwards.

It's clear that a complaint about the beatles you are making is the lack of substance, and you are choosing to move in a vector where you were unlikely to find any more substance...

If you want to explore their influences, why not parse those from their later eras... Composers like Stockhausen... Or move somewhere else entirely?

The Rolling Stones had been around and touring the UK before recording that single, opening for artists such as Little Richard, the Hollies and Bo Diddley. They also had a single before that one, a Chuck Berry cover. So while that was a bigger hit than the first one it seems silly to say that it got "them started."
    What I meant was that the song boosted their popularity, not that it helped get the band together.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Can I get an explanation of why this is important?
    The other response is, well, I dunno. The reason I have been listening to the Beatles, trying to slog through their early albums is because I bought into the myth that they were important.

I'mn't saying they're worthless; I'm just saying I have listened to them far out of proportion to their value and am going to lay off them for a while and listen to other folks when I want something similar.

Also this makes me wonder, was Thespis not actually the first actor but just the first popular one? Did Aeschylus not actually come up with such wild and crazy theatrical innovations as the second actor and dialogue? What will people in the year 5000 credit the Beatles with?

I've always liked the Beatles and I still do, but I've always been bugged by the constant knee-jerk categorization as "greatest band ever" that they constantly get, so I support whatever the hell you're trying to do here. I think there's a very valid argument against the Beatles to be made just as there's a valid argument to be made for them. I remember John Waters put them on his list of 100 things he hated. I'm assuming a large part of that is that they brought a wholesome face to rock, which had previously been to a large degree about sex and perversion (although there is the point to be made that they eventually subverted their own wholesome image). I don't think it's about being the first to do anything with the Beatles, but rather about them distilling a set of influences, a few somewhat off-putting to the general listening public, into a more easily digestible package, therefore opening up to casual listeners a world they were previously unaware of. Anyway, this should be an interesting discussion to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    It's interesting that in being done with the beatles you are more interested in moving backwards than forwards.

It's clear that a complaint about the beatles you are making is the lack of substance, and you are choosing to move in a vector where you were unlikely to find any more substance...

If you want to explore their influences, why not parse those from their later eras... Composers like Stockhausen... Or move somewhere else entirely?
    I mean to include in this other artists of the time period that the Beatles couldn't copy; in that essay I mentioned Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin (I've had enough of them a while ago) and Black Sabbath and the Stooges. And I'd like to go to other artists that didn't necessarily directly influence the Beatles like Can and Frank Zappa and completely different things like James Brown and Sly and the Family Stone and Stockhausen, etc.

And yeah, the amount that I have listened to the Beatles is out of proportion with their substance. But I get it, the reason the Beatles are so popular is their lack of substance, because they are so easy.

But while I prefer my cheap pop to be more modern and more twee there's a lot of this early stuff that I don't know so well. Listening to Roger the Engineer and Howlin' Wolf (as I have done/am doing this morning) isn't going to be a large substantive change and it will be new and/or neglected music (to me, at the least.)

Does that make sense?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I feel as if I opened pandora's box. Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Haha.

I will say that if I had read my essay fifteen years ago or so I would've laughed at it and ignored it. The Beatles myth is easy to sell if you don't talk about any other rock history. I used to think that the Beatles were all that was going on in pop/rock and then Led Zeppelin built on that with their hard rock and beyond that it was just singles.

What has changed between then and now is that I have started to hear more than just a few singles by artists like Buddy Holly and the Byrds and the Rolling Stones. And I've realized that there was a lot going on that had nothing to do with the Beatles and that they didn't manage to incorporate by artists like Bob Dylan and John Fahey and Tim Buckley and Can. And I have heard a lot more of the blues foundations.

It's the same sort of feeling that is making me want to listen to Billie Holiday and Duke Ellington and Charlier Parker.

Chuck Berry, Smokey Robinson, The Marvelettes, but a lot of R&B and soul influenced the beatles...

I have always enjoyed The Beach Boys much more than The Beatles. I also believe The Beach Boys have had much greater influence on music than a lot of people give them credit for. It seems to me The Beach Boys have always been in the Beatles shadow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I have always enjoyed The Beach Boys much more than The Beatles. I also believe The Beach Boys have had much greater influence on music than a lot of people give them credit for. It seems to me The Beach Boys have always been in the Beatles shadow.
    Fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

What has changed between then and now is that I have started to hear more than just a few singles by artists like Buddy Holly and the Byrds and the Rolling Stones. And I've realized that there was a lot going on that had nothing to do with the Beatles and that they didn't manage to incorporate by artists like Bob Dylan and John Fahey and Tim Buckley and Can. And I have heard a lot more of the blues foundations.

It's the same sort of feeling that is making me want to listen to Billie Holiday and Duke Ellington and Charlier Parker.
    You are all over the place.

Let me sum it up for you so people stop spazzing out:

"I've listened to the Beatles a lot. Probably even enough. Maybe even too much. I'm gonna start listening to old things I should have paid more attention to. Oh, and new things too."

I don't think there is anything wrong with this. I even agree (although I think a good chunk of their later work, while shallow in content and theme perhaps, is more musically complex, and important, than you've given credit). However, I think you are trying to get a rise out of people.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 08-17-2009 at 12:06 PM.

You are all over the place.
    I cannot argue with that. I will note that this is in a large part because I had no design when starting this out. I had the misconception that there were going to be half a dozen essays on the Beatles and that they'd be out by now.

And then after I wrote mine it has stuck with me and kinda snowballed.

Let me sum it up for you so people stop spazzing out:

"I've listened to the Beatles a lot. Probably even enough. Maybe even too much. I'm gonna start listening to old things I should have paid more attention to. Oh, and new things too."
    This is a fair and accurate summary.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this. I even agree (although I think a good chunk of their later work, while shallow in content and theme perhaps, is more musically complex, and important, than you've given credit).
    I guess all I can do is note that I've been listening to the self titled, Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road the longest and the most.

I'll also note that I'd like to revisit the work of the Beatles in five or ten years, after I have had more time with their influences, contemporaries, etc. But I can't really do that if I don't go away from them.

However, I think you are trying to get a rise out of people.
    Maybe? Maybe I am presenting it a little over dramatically because I am trying to get advice on other artists to listen to.

What I'd like to see is people saying "Oh I love Jerry Lee Lewis. His very early singles are simple standards but then in 1958 he met Ridgely Nelson who was a great drummer and really helped him bring out the power in his songs. The compilation Jerry Lee Lewis and the Fire Fastners Sing for Power is fantastic" and such. [That is an entirely made up comment.]

I don't mean to be telling other people what they should listen to. Copying to this thread I did a few minor edits to my essay to go away from that.

That being said I really wish someone had said this to me 10 years ago... and pointed me towards some of this other music. I wouldn't've had to've gone so far away from the Beatles had I not gone so far towards them.

Well. Then I suggest Stockhausen.... Because he's in my avatar, and he's been cited as a primary influence on Sgt. Peppers...

I would recommend these releases:
    Kontake
    Gesang der Junglinge
    Zyklus

to start with.

Most of their biggest influences have been mentioned (Chuck Berry and Beach Boys are two of their bigger ones), but one that wasn't mentioned is John Cage.
    For your health

In that case... Listen to John Cage's Imaginary Landscapes...

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I've always liked the Beatles and I still do, but I've always been bugged by the constant knee-jerk categorization as "greatest band ever" that they constantly get, so I support whatever the hell you're trying to do here. I think there's a very valid argument against the Beatles to be made just as there's a valid argument to be made for them. I remember John Waters put them on his list of 100 things he hated. I'm assuming a large part of that is that they brought a wholesome face to rock, which had previously been to a large degree about sex and perversion (although there is the point to be made that they eventually subverted their own wholesome image). I don't think it's about being the first to do anything with the Beatles, but rather about them distilling a set of influences, a few somewhat off-putting to the general listening public, into a more easily digestible package, therefore opening up to casual listeners a world they were previously unaware of. Anyway, this should be an interesting discussion to follow.
    Also I'd like to say that this is a very good comment and I am not sure how to respond to it or if it needs a response? And I think that is a good statement of the Beatles primary role in rock history, above and beyond releasing a few top notch albums.

Well. Then I suggest Stockhausen.... Because he's in my avatar, and he's been cited as a primary influence on Sgt. Peppers...

I would recommend these releases:
    Kontake
    Gesang der Junglinge
    Zyklus

to start with.
    Thank you very much for the list. It is always nice to have direction when approaching artists of this nature.

Good lord, I could talk all night about Beatles, Beach Boys and Stones comparisons, but here's my distilled, rambling thoughts:

Only music nerds care that the Beatles were several months behind trends. Our parents sole access to music during the early 60's were via radio and Bandstand (or whatever local dance show was available to them) and we seem to forget that it was the goal of ALL the big bands of the early 60's...to get on the radio and hit the top of the charts. It seems like such a sell-out idea now, but that was what these bands wanted to do. Hit singles...

The Beach Boys simply copied the Four Freshman. The Beatles copied Chuck Berry and Motown. The Stones copied Muddy Waters. The Who were originally MAXIMUM R & B and covered James Brown on their first long-player. Why were the Beatles so important. They were the band that brought rock & roll back to life.

Post-Army Elvis sucked, horribly. Buddy Holly was dead. Chuck Berry had, by '63, stopped writing hits. It had been 8 years since "Maybeline" and he was considered stale by then by the kids. Little Richard was in the ministry. Popular music was being ruled by Fabian, Dion and the ilk. I mean rock and roll was DEAD in '63. And when I say that, I know that all around the country, great music was being recorded.... but no one was hearing it. You had to get on the radio to be heard.

Anyway, my point (that I know I'm not making well) is that The Beatles brought ROCK back. The Beach Boys were recording albums like Surfin' Safari and Surfer Girl before the Beatles blew up...and no one is putting those albums on display as great rock albums. The Beach Boys only stepped up their game in mid '64 with All Summer Long (and as an aside, as a total Brian Wilson disciple, the Beach Boys only released 3 great albums: Pet Sounds, Wild Honey and Beach Boys Today!). And while Motown was releasing awesome singles throughout the early 60's, it wasn't rock and roll...

And so while 64-65 had great releases from The Stones, The Kinks, The Who, The Animals, it was The Beatles that brought rock and roll back from the dead. I mean, my father says that when the Beatles first came out he hated them...because he loved Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Don't trust anyone that tries to make you listen to the Beach Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by sydaud View Post
    Good lord, I could talk all night about Beatles, Beach Boys and Stones comparisons, but here's my distilled, rambling thoughts:

Only music nerds care that the Beatles were several months behind trends....
    That's a really well stated explanation of why the Beatles are great/important/etc. That is the sort of write up I wanted to see.

Not that that changes anything. My moratorium is still on; I still have devoted more time to them than their music warrants because, here's the thing: I'm a total music nerd. And because I need to mull over what kind of begrudging respect I can muster up for the Beatles for being the band that finally got the idea that rock could be sold to the public through execs heads.

I know they're better than that suggests and I know that if Lennon and McCartney weren't around and they tried this with the Kinks or the Byrds or whomever it mightn't've worked as well and/or those artists would've released different music... but these are the sort of things I gotta work through.

But yeah: me = music nerd. It totes matters that the Beatles were regurgitating innovations by other bands a few months down the line and making bank doing so because they had better marketing and were groomed into what they were (for the first mess of albums, at least.) It's not just the Beatles; I have never bothered much with the Sex Pistols because I can't get the image of them as a boy band with different music out of my head.

And, because of those Beach Boys albums I only know Pet Sounds I'll put the other two on the list. Thank you.

Basically, you're saying the Beatles are Madonna.