Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: White. Jack White.

Default Re: White. Jack White.

oh man. that setlist. oh man.

saturday!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Just wanted to give the heads-up that Jack White covers U2's "Love is Blindness" in the "Great Gatsby" trailer, and it absolutely rips.

You can hear the whole song here. This guy is seriously the next great musical genius. Who needs Bowie when you can get Jack White? /blasphemy

Ugh. Sold out show in LA! Hatersgoinhate but I hope he gets a Chella' slot. That set list is amazing.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Looking for 2 tickets, anywhere for LA Wiltern this wednesday..

Just found out I can take off from work, gonna drive from SD.

Help! Thanks!

Based on what I had read and heard about Jack White's shows thus far, I have very high expectations for the Jack White show in Vancouver last night. I thought I was setting myself up for disapointment heading into show. However, not only did the show meet expectation, he far exceeded them. What I witnessed last night was what legends are made out of. There are a lot of debates about how relevant, if at all, Jack White is to the current landscape and future of popular music. What I saw last night ended all those debates and placed Jack White firmly in the ranks of music legends. People here may firmly agree and disagree with what I have to say here, but he is like this generation's Elvis, Jimmy Page, and Freddie Mercury, all rolled into one. He has talent. He has showmanship. He has riffs. He has killer guitar solos. He has dance moves. He is a commanding frontman. He knows what the audience wants and he gives it to them. If Jack White is not at least a music legend in the making, then I don't know who else could possibly qualify.

I don't know who put up the setlist on setlist.fm, but it has the order of the songs almost entirely wrong. And its missing a few. I changed a few things up, but this will give you an idea of the setlist from last night. He played about 5 songs more than he normally does. I don't know why, but he was in a good mood last night. Anyways, here is what he played to the best of my memory... I know I am still forgetting a couple from the encore though. I will edit if I remember.

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
    Missing Pieces
    Sixteen Salteens
    Love Interuption
    Hotel Yorba
    Top Yourself
    Two Against One
    Im Slowly Turning Into You
    We're Going to be Friends
    Im Finding it Harder to be A Gentleman
    I Guess I Should Go To Sleep
    Hypocritical Kiss
    Weep Themselves To Sleep
    You're Pretty Good Looking (For A Girl)
    Screwdriver Intro
    Blue Blood Blues
    Ball & Biscuit

Encore:
    Freedom at 21
    Steady As She Goes
    On and On
    Take Me With You When You Go
    Carolina Drama
    Seven Nation Army

Long and short of it, everyone go see Jack White. For the love of god. Do yourself a favour. Also, I am 100% Jack White headlining Coachella next year. Or, at least subheadlining.
    Last edited by rage patton; 05-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

You got 1/4 of White Blood Cells at your show. LUCKY.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    If Jack White is not at least a music legend in the making, then I don't know who else could possibly qualify
    I think he is arguably the "greatest" pop musician who's career began at the beginning of the 21st century. What other musicians began making music at the turn of the century and have continued to do so at a high level, consistently, with both general popularity and also critical acclaim throughout? Kanye? Eminem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Kanye, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Cuz I'm slowly turning into you (la lala la lala la lalalalala)
    fuckin' with the lights on

Rage, One band, both bands and no Hello Operator? Also, Coachella: one band both bands?

He should get at least 70 minutes at Outside Lands, based on last year's set times. I'm hoping for a full 90 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Unbreakable: That's why they call him Mr. Glass

You got 1/4 of White Blood Cells at your show. LUCKY.
    I know, right? His White Stripes song selection was pretty ace.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    I think he is arguably the "greatest" pop musician who's career began at the beginning of the 21st century. What other musicians began making music at the turn of the century and have continued to do so at a high level, consistently, with both general popularity and also critical acclaim throughout? Kanye? Eminem?
    Although I am not a huge Kanye fan, I would agree with that. Eminem has had a lot of ups and downs and I wouldn't put him at the creative level of someone like Jack White and Kanye West.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    Rage, One band, both bands and no Hello Operator? Also, Coachella: one band both bands?
    The whole show was with The Peacocks and holy hell was I impressed. Their drummer was a monster. And some of the versions of the songs they did just ripped. Especially the songs that made full use of the slide guitar. And the violin player mimicked Jack Whites guitar solos a few times and that sounded pretty rad. No Hello Operator, but I wasn't really bothered by that. If I could have added ONE song, I probably would have added in Black Math.

Most of the festival sets so far have been two sets, one with each band, right? I would like to see that at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    He should get at least 70 minutes at Outside Lands, based on last year's set times. I'm hoping for a full 90 minutes.
    I know you weren't really asking, but I had heard that his normal sets were around 90 minutes... and he played for almost 2 hours last night. I think we got pretty lucky.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

How much of it was Ball and a Biscuit?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Half and hour for Ball and Biscuit. Then another half hour for Carolina Drama. About an hour for the rest.

But seriously, Ball and Biscuit was about 7 minutes, give or take a minute. And all 3 of White's solos were ridiculous. Like... gave me goosebumps kind of solos. So dirty and gritty and meaty. Ball & Biscuit was probably the highlight of the show for me.

By "Blue Blood Blues" do you mean "Blue Blood Viens"? And I'm sure you're missing the Dead Weather song(s). I like the inclusion of "I'm finding it Harder". I'd really like to see "you've hot her in your pocket".

I am trying so hard to find an under-$100 ticket for Wednesday. One I think I waited too long on, and the other I think was gone in a flash

god damn. I try not to get too excited for a show, but jesus I cannot fucking wait for the Wednesday Wiltern show.

I'd easily pay a hundo...I think that it'll totally be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    By "Blue Blood Blues" do you mean "Blue Blood Viens"? And I'm sure you're missing the Dead Weather song(s). I like the inclusion of "I'm finding it Harder". I'd really like to see "you've hot her in your pocket".
    No, I mean "Blue Blood Blues." The first song off of Sea of Cowards. Its my favorite Dead Weather song, so if they were only going to play 1, I am glad they played that one. And they played a hard rocking version of "Im Finding It Harder to be a Gentleman" which, well, rocked hard.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    No, I mean "Blue Blood Blues." The first song off of Sea of Cowards. Its my favorite Dead Weather song, so if they were only going to play 1, I am glad they played that one. And they played a hard rocking version of "Im Finding It Harder to be a Gentleman" which, well, rocked hard.
    Awe, I see. I got them confused. Your show sounds amazing! I'm eagerly awaiting a Vegas stop.

...when I sing at sunday service...did he play the drums on that track?

Wow, amazing show.. every song absolutely destroyed. Concerts are so much better when the band/artist actually looks like they are having fun and it not a nightly routine. Mr. White tore the place up and did so with a big smile.

Which band played tonight? Or both?

Los Buzzardos. Daru is the man.

they opened with pretty cool version of black math. dead leaves on the dirty ground was played on the piano, no seven nation army, which is fine because ball and a biscuit could not be topped; jack falling into and knocking the drums over during one of the solos was priceless.

fun stuff, I would kill to be able to go again tomorrow.

also just a heads up for any die hards who are going to wait in line to get a pit wristband: I had not been to the wiltern in a while so it was news to me that you can pay twenty bucks in cash to get an early access vip wristband. the guy said they usually sell about 20 to 30 but tonight all 200 were bought.
    Last edited by dine with a cannibal; 05-31-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dine with a cannibal View Post
    also just a heads up for any die hards who are going to wait in line to get a pit wristband: I had not been to the wiltern in a while so it was news to me that you can pay twenty bucks in cash to get an early access vip wristband. the guy said they usually sell about 20 to 30 but tonight all 200 were bought.
    this is fucking crazed. everyone is super obsessed and wants all and everything jack related they can manage to throw money at. theyve been doing it at least since '09 but sometimes they wont have people walking up and down the line. its worth it if you show up really late and cant get anywhere in the crowd.

i'm sure people were buying it just to get inside and get a lightning bolt blunderbuss or a rob jones poster. totally wacky.

The VIP thing was a clusterfuck. The Wiltern was so disorganized. In general I like the VIP idea (why wait in line for hours when you can just pay $20, not have to wait in line and be guaranteed a pit spot) but yesterday is was a nightmare. So many fans did it that it was still a battle to get into the pit. The show was amazing but quite short. (About 90min) and a lot of songs that have been rotated on this tour were not played. Loved the show...but just felt too short. Wish I could go tonight but guess I'll have to settle for Radiohead in Newark =)

We ended up snagging loge EE for $70 each off of Craigslist. I wish I could be there again tonight. The show was short and it seemed like it flew even faster, but the man himself and the amazing band he assembled was a site to see. Although there was no Seven Nation Army or Carolina Drama we were privileged enough to get 18 other gems that left you yearning for more. Every comment about his stage persona is accurate. Blunderbuss comes off so well live. It’s blows my mind how deep his library is. And that piano! What a master he is on those keys.

Black Math (White Stripes)
    Missing Pieces
    Weep Themselves to Sleep
    Two Against One (Rome cover)
    Hotel Yorba (White Stripes)
    Hypocritical Kiss
    Top Yourself (Raconteurs)
    I Cut Like A Buffalo (Dead Weather)
    Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (White Stripes)
    Blunderbuss
    You Know That I Know (Hank Williams cover)
    We're Going to Be Friends (White Stripes)
    I Guess I Should Go to Sleep
    Take Me With You When You Go

My Doorbell (White Stripes)
    Freedom At 21
    Sixteen Saltines
    Ball and Biscuit
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 05-31-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

What kind of merch we talking at the Wiltern last night?
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

I was pretty disappointed we didn't get any of the girl band at Sasquatch, but his show was still incredible.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella