Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All that Jazz

Default Re: All that Jazz

Grew up listening to the Latin Jazz bands my dad was into.

Namely, Cal Tjader and Mongo Santamaria. Think I will hit my dad up for a little listening session tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

I've been listening to jazz for a long time now. There are so many different artists, periods, and labels that its hard to find a place to start. Once I began listening to albums on the Blue Note label they've become the standard that I always come back to and never get tired of. Besides having so many great artists and albums come from the label they were also groundbreaking with their album design and photography and had one of the best studio recorders, Rudy Van Gelder. He recorded a majority of the blue note albums. I'll start with one of my favorite blue note albums, Donald Byrd's A New Perspective. Not your usual jazz album. It features a choir that really changes up the standard jazz album. The group he plays with features other great Blue Note artists: Hank Mobley, Kenny Burrell, Herbie Hancock, Butch Warren and arrangements by Duke Pearson.

There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

Wheels Of Cheese

Am I the only one who is not a fan of vocalized jazz music?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    I am not. Only because it tends to rely too heavily on standards in the wrong ways.

I am a huge fan of Patty Waters however...

Ah ESP Disk. I became fascinated with the label after I heard the first two Godz albums. I suppose they were the closest rock equivalent to free jazz.

Wheels Of Cheese

Hah. Has anyone listened to Cromagnon Cave Rock off of ESP disk? That's a weird one... I'm not sure if it is the worst or best album I have ever heard. I never even thought about turning it off, though...
    Last edited by Still-ill; 08-11-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Also in honor of the creation of this I think I am going to make tomorrow an all jazz day, and I recommend that you do the same.
    Well it's now tomorrow, and I'll def. participate in this. I'm really excited for this...off the top of anyone's head would any certain album go well with whiskey? I will be having some later tonight and will need a good accompaniment.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Now for the drummers...

------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

It's a proven fact: no one has ever actually listened to jazz intentionally. You might have been somewhere jazz was playing but you didn't pay a drop of attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I forgot to load jazz on the iPod last night.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I did not forget (though I'll note that most of what I'll play today was there already anyway.)

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come.

This was Ornette's debut for Atlantic. Don Cherry (cornet) and Charlie Haden (double bass) played on the album. Billy Higgins on drums rounded out the quartet but I don't know who he is. Ornette was one of the pioneers of avant-garde jazz and this can be considered the first avant garde jazz record.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Now playing

Duke Ellington - selections from The Very Best of Duke Ellington (that is not the cover photo)

If we were doing top ten lists of the greatest jazz artists of all time and actually went for greatest rather than favorites than Duke Ellington had better be on everybody's list. He started out as a band leader in 1923 led his orchestra through the Depression, the rise of swing, World War II and the rise of crooners like Frank Sinatra. He actually stalled some, then, circa 1950, for a bit as members of his orchestra moved on.

But he wasn't done; not by a long shot. He'd continue to make music for 20 years, recording with folks such as Ella Fitzgerald, Charles Mingus and John Coltrane.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    I am not. Only because it tends to rely too heavily on standards in the wrong ways.

I am a huge fan of Patty Waters however...
    I generally am not a fan - the Glenn Miller comp I tried to listen to yesterday had half vocals and I do not truck with sweet jazz and/or big band with vocals - but strongly emotional singers such as Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald work for me.

Though that is still a secondary interest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    I got a first press of Spirits Rejoice a few weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Yeah. I have that one. Easily one of my favorite jazz records.
    Now playing: that one. [Sorry, can't find a pic right now.]

I love Albert Ayler.

I'm loving all the avant-garde suggestions, keep them coming.

Here's a suggestion from the mainstream, Cannonball Adderley's Mercy Mercy Mercy.
    It is one of my favorite albums of any genre of all time.
    Features Nat Adderley and Joe Zawinul(Weather Report).
    Last edited by higgybaby23; 08-12-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Hah. Has anyone listened to Cromagnon Cave Rock off of ESP disk? That's a weird one... I'm not sure if it is the worst or best album I have ever heard. I never even thought about turning it off, though...
    Throbbing Gristle/Nurse With Wound before Throbbing Gristle/Nurse With Wound... That album is way ahead of it's time.

Just finished with

Billie Holiday - Stay With Me

A late album of standards, including several Irving Berlin songs and one by Duke Ellington. The music isn't terribly adventurous but it also isn't flat, too cheesy or boring.

and Now Playing

Clifford Thornton - The Panther and the Lash

Thorton was a avant garde/free jazz trumpeter/trombonist. He learned from Donald Byrd and played on albums by Sun Ra and Sunny Murray (who I would've mentioned in the Albert Ayler write-up had I been able to be coherent whilst listening to Ayler) and then managed to record a few albums as a bandleader himself. This is a live set from Paris recorded November 7, 1970 and somehow released a week later. His music was largely ignored, which is a shame. Another shame is that I haven't heard any of his other albums.

Thelonious Monk - It's Monk's Time

1964 album from one of the pioneers of bop. Recorded for Columbia in 1964, Monk showed up on the cover of Time magazine during the sessions. Half standards - two are Monk solo on piano, including the Gershwin tune "Nice Work If You Can Get It," half Monk's original compositions for quartet.

I don't love Monk but this is nice stuff. I do need to hear more from him, though, such as Brilliant Corners, despite the cover art.

Is anyone else doing the all jazz thing today?

Second question: can anyone talk about Charlie Parker and/or how to approach his music?

Third question: same for Lennie Tristano?

Monk is one of my favorites, in fact he helped me understand rhythm in a whole new way. The Monk and Coltrane live recording that was unearthed a year or so ago is worth a listen.

As for Bird, I would start with his collabs with Dizzy Gillespie then check out the later stuff.

vinylmartyr

I would start with this.

Quote Originally Posted by higgybaby23 View Post
    The Monk and Coltrane live recording that was unearthed a year or so ago is worth a listen.
    That's the other Monk that I have. I prefer the first set to the second but they're both great!

Also thanks to both of you for the Bird recommendations.

Jazz day! Starting off by listening to Black Saint & The Sinner Lady. That seemed to be the one consensus great jazz album that I haven't heard.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I seen Diz at Vine Street many years ago.

His mic stand was literally leaning on our table, which was thrilling at first. He was reallly short and his cheeks were really big and soft. As he played, and started working with his spit, he started using a white towel. That towel remained on our table the entire night. Good thing we ate first.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Ella Fitzgerald - The Intimate Ella (aka Ella Fitzgerald Sings Songs from "Let No Man Write My Epitaph")

A collection of standards, with only piano accompaniment. Sublte, sensitive reditions of mellow songs. I don't know much else Ella, but I have heard that this is her at her most emotive... which kinda makes me think that I won't find that much to love. I haven't really gotten into the standards, but I am trying as you gotta know what folks were riffing on.

Now Playing

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

I've talked a fair amount about this already. One of my favorite albums of anything. I haven't really heard anything like it.

Useless but interesting fact about Mingus. He was born in Nogales, AZ. But, he was raised in Watts.

There is a great Ellington/Mingus/Roach album called Money Jungle. It is just those three guys, so you can hear the individual parts extremely well. It's great just to hear a stripped down recording that spotlights Ellington's piano skills. Highly recommended.

Pharoah Sanders - Deaf Dumb Blind (Summun Bukmun Umyun)

1970 album from Pharoah Sanders. A few years earlier he was playing with John Coltrane. Actually I did have Meditations queued up - which features Coltrane and Sanders soloing at each other, both on tenor saxophones - but maybe I will switch that out since I am running out of the work day. I dunno, though; it is really fucking good.

At any rate this one is also really fucking good. It is two long (21 and 18 minutes) tracks of free/avant garde jazz, with lots of African and Latin percussion. My favorite of the Pharoah Sanders albums I've heard.

Now playing

Benny Goodman - Legends of American Music: The King of Clarinet [not actual compilation artwork]

I am not sure what to make of Benny the man or Benny in terms of his relation to and appreciation of other types of music but when he got his band swinging they were fantastic. Random facts because I can't get my head around him: Gene Krupa was his drummer for about 5 years, including their landmark show at Carnegie Hall in January 1938. Benny also played clarinet for the classical repertoire, even commissioning and premiering works by composers such as Bartok, Copland and Bernstein.

not sure if django reinhardt has been talked about yet, but he's a great jazz guitarist. i would recommended for anybody interested in just hearing an excellent jazz guitar guitarist at work.

Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay

I first heard the title track on a mix vinyl posted years ago. I played trombone growing up and due to both that and listening to classical music I am more used to brass than saxophones. As such my early forays into jazz were stunted because they are often saxophone- or piano- centric. (My slowness to accept piano music was due to two sisters taking lessons and playing all the time and also that being the accompaniment when I attended church growing up.) Freddie, though, was a trumpeter. Sure, there's sax, etc on his recordings but he has a lot of leads/solos/etc. And he sounds just fantastic.

Freddie played on Ornette's Free Jazz and Coltrane's Africa/Brass and other key 60s albums such as Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch, Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage, and Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil, among others. There are numerous Freddie Hubbard albums, of which I only know this one and Straight Life, both from 1970, when the soul and funk were starting to creep into his hard bop.

And, appropriate enough since I opened the day with Ornette Coleman, I am closing the work day with

Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures.

Despite the relative paucity of recorded output Cecil was one of the pioneers and leaders of the avant garde. This album came on Blue Note in 1966. It is wild, ferocious atonal stuff.

And I'm spent.