Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Articles 2.0

Coachella Junkie

Default Re: Articles 2.0

I made him cry when I accused him of stealing rolls of quarters from my dad's closet.

Coachella Junkie

Then I made him depopulate the filth canal.

Froggies.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

A golfer starts a 25-acre forest fire when he hits a rock that causes a spark and ignites the whole forest ablaze. Holy shit.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...rn=golf-266447

Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 09-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

At first glance I thought that said "Korean."

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    At first glance I thought that said "Korean."
    Me too, but then I remembered I heard about this story on NPR this morning. Ugh.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Why does it take 3 hours to burn a Koran?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Why does it take 3 hours to burn a Koran?
    Cut 'em a little slack, Tom: The Neanderthals behind this only just discovered fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I'm a little concerned that they appear to have the power to renegotiate the length of a day. Do you think it's going to be shorter for everybody, or just for those who follow the church?

The president of the Montana Big Sky Tea Party makes an insanely insensitive joke about Matthew Shepard
    http://www.amplifyyourvoice.org/u/AF...g-GLBTQ-people
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Fucked up.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I just burned a copy of the Quran

wait a minute, you did that yesterday!
    last.fm

Hmmmmmmmmm.... I think that's a little ropey. Luxembourg skews any study it's in enormously. It has a huge GDP because it's home to an awful lot of companies that exist only on paper and questionable banks full of Kim Jong Il's money.

Why wasn't Ireland included in that study? I need to evaluate the possibility of surprising MissingPerson with a permanent house guest.

Oh you're welcome anytime.

As of 2004, studies found we had the best quality of life in the world. As of 2008, another found we had the worst in Europe. Curiously, my quality of life has somehow remained more or less the same throughout.

Dublin in itself always beats out Paris and London though. We might not have bowler hats or berets or anything, but we make do.

Wilco does not suck.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

fucking awesome

Hunter S. Thompson's brutally honest Canadian job request
    By Andrea Woo, Postmedia News
    October 1, 2010

VANCOUVER — Today Hunter S. Thompson is remembered as a literary icon, whose classic works and impetuous personality firmly stamped his place into the hearts, minds and graphic T-shirts of a malleable generation.

With his seminal classics — Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 and Hells Angels — he spawned "Gonzo journalism," a subjective style of journalism that incorporates the author into the story.

His fiery prose was fuelled as much by wit and vibrant description as it was by mescaline and Wild Turkey.

But in 1958, Thompson was still a struggling journalist, living in a tiny basement apartment in New York's Greenwich Village, burdened by crippling debt.

On Oct. 1, 1958 — 52 years ago Friday — self-professed to be in a "frenzy of drink," Thompson penned a letter of application to the Vancouver Sun. He had heard about the paper through an article in Time magazine — where he worked briefly as a copy boy for $50 U.S. a week — that praised the paper's new editorial direction under Jack Scott.

Scott, whom Thompson had addressed his letter to, was a Sun columnist who was appointed editorial director in September 1958.

According to Time, the "tart-tongued" Scott "unleashed all of his formidable flair for spectacular stunts" in his new role, which included sending the football editor to Formosa (now Taiwan) to interview Chiang Kai-shek, the leader of the Republic of China, and the women's page editor to Cuba to cover the aftermath of the revolution.

He was promptly demoted in March 1959, summing up his brief stint with, "It was a ball while it lasted," according to Time.

Thompson's letter is among hundreds — to friends, family, lovers, editors and debt collectors — published in The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967 (Ballantine, 1997).

Vancouver Sun

TO JACK SCOTT, VANCOUVER SUN

October 1, 1958 57 Perry Street New York City

Sir,

I got a hell of a kick reading the piece Time magazine did this week on The Sun. In addition to wishing you the best of luck, I'd also like to offer my services.

Since I haven't seen a copy of the "new" Sun yet, I'll have to make this a tentative offer. I stepped into a dung-hole the last time I took a job with a paper I didn't know anything about (see enclosed clippings) and I'm not quite ready to go charging up another blind alley.

By the time you get this letter, I'll have gotten hold of some of the recent issues of The Sun. Unless it looks totally worthless, I'll let my offer stand. And don't think that my arrogance is unintentional: it's just that I'd rather offend you now than after I started working for you.

I didn't make myself clear to the last man I worked for until after I took the job. It was as if the Marquis de Sade had suddenly found himself working for Billy Graham. The man despised me, of course, and I had nothing but contempt for him and everything he stood for. If you asked him, he'd tell you that I'm "not very likable, (that I) hate people, (that I) just want to be left alone, and (that I) feel too superior to mingle with the average person." (That's a direct quote from a memo he sent to the publisher.)

Nothing beats having good references.

Of course if you asked some of the other people I've worked for, you'd get a different set of answers.

If you're interested enough to answer this letter, I'll be glad to furnish you with a list of references — including the lad I work for now.

The enclosed clippings should give you a rough idea of who I am. It's a year old, however, and I've changed a bit since it was written. I've taken some writing courses from Columbia in my spare time, learned a hell of a lot about the newspaper business, and developed a healthy contempt for journalism as a profession.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. If this is what you're trying to get The Sun away from, then I think I'd like to work for you.

Most of my experience has been in sports writing, but I can write everything from warmongering propaganda to learned book reviews.

I can work 25 hours a day if necessary, live on any reasonable salary, and don't give a black damn for job security, office politics, or adverse public relations.

I would rather be on the dole than work for a paper I was ashamed of.

It's a long way from here to British Columbia, but I think I'd enjoy the trip.

If you think you can use me, drop me a line.

If not, good luck anyway.

Sincerely, Hunter S. Thompson

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

dude sends his iphone into space and records a video of the journey:

This breathtaking video documents Brooklyn-based cinematographer Luke Geissbuhler’s quest with his son to launch an iPhone 4 and an HD video camera into space using a weather balloon. The mission was a success, and the footage is absolutely gorgeous.

Geussbuhler launched the balloon from Newburgh, New York, and it climbed at a rate of 25 feet per second to 19 miles above the surface of the earth just an hour later. The balloon burst and the package containing the iPhone and the camera fell back to the ground on a parachute.

The father-son team tracked the package using the iPhone’s GPS (go MobileMe!) transmitter and found it in a tree 30 miles north of its launch location. They successfully extracted the video and edited it into what you see below.

Geissbuhler posted a beautiful slideshow of space images taken by the craft to his website, the Brooklyn Space Program. He’s also selling t-shirts and other merch to raise funds for a sophomore voyage.
    http://mashable.com/2010/10/17/iphon...-launch-video/

video starts getting interesting around the 3 minute mark.

Rise in Some Head and Neck Cancers Tied to Oral Sex: Study
    By Amanda Gardner
    HealthDay Reporter by Amanda Gardner
    healthday Reporter 44 mins ago
    TUESDAY, Jan. 25 (HealthDay News) -- There's a worrisome uptick in the incidence of certain head and neck cancers among middle-aged and even younger Americans, and some experts link the trend to a rise in the popularity of oral sex over the past few decades.

That's because the human papillomavirus (HPV) is a major trigger for these cancers, and HPV can be transmitted through this type of sexual activity.

"It seems like a pretty good link that more sexual activity, particularly oral sex, is associated with increased HPV infection," said Dr. Greg Hartig, professor of otolaryngology--head and neck surgery at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in Madison.

According to Dr. William Lydiatt, professor and chief of head and neck surgical oncology at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, the overall incidence of head and neck cancers is going down, largely because fewer people are smoking (tobacco and drinking are the major traditional risk factors).

But the incidence of cancers of the tonsil and base of the tongue have been going up over the past decades, he said. And those are the ones that are more likely to test positive for HPV.

"It's gotten to the point now where 60 to 70 percent of all tonsil cancers in the U.S. are HPV-related," Lydiatt said.

Although the link between HPV and these types of cancers is indisputable, the association with oral sex is strong but a little more speculative, experts say.

A 2007 study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that younger people with head and neck cancers who tested positive for oral HPV infection were more likely to have had multiple vaginal and oral sex partners in their lifetime.

In the study, having six or more oral sex partners over a lifetime was associated with a 3.4 times higher risk for oropharyngeal cancer -- cancers of the base of the tongue, back of the throat or tonsils. Having 26 or more vaginal-sex partners tripled the risk.

And the association increased as the number of partners -- in either category -- increased.

The researchers also reported that cancers of the tonsil and base of the tongue have been increasing every year since 1973, and wrote that "widespread oral sex practices among adolescents may be a contributing factor in this increase."

The researchers concluded that in their study, oral sex was "strongly associated" with oropharyngeal cancer, but noted that they could not "rule out transmission through direct mouth-to-mouth contact" such as French kissing.

In 90 percent of cases of HPV infection in the body, the immune system clears HPV naturally within two years, according to federal health agencies, but in some cases, certain types of HPV can lead to cervical cancer or less common malignancies, such as oropharyngeal cancer. A 2010 Swedish study, in fact, suggested that the rise in oropharyngeal squamous cell cancer in a number of countries "is caused by a slow epidemic of HPV infection-induced [cancers]."

HPV tends to be site specific, explained Dr. Amesh A. Adalja, an adjunct instructor in the division of infectious diseases at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. In other words, it tends to stay wherever it first enters the body, be it the vagina (which in some cases could lead to cervical cancer), or the mouth and throat.

So does the increase in incidence mean that recent generations are having more sex than their grandparents?

"The general consensus on the street is that because people's [sexual] practices have changed over time, we're seeing an increase in these cancers," said Hartig. "I don't know why they're having more oral sex [but] the concept of having oral sex is something that seems less obscure to you than it did to your parents or grandparents."

"The thought would be that the Baby Boomers -- the 60s and early 70s generation -- probably had more freedom in sexual relationships in general, including oral sex," added Dr. Bert W. O'Malley, Jr., chair of otorhinolaryngology--head and neck surgery at the University of Pennsylvania.

And at least in terms of oral sex, that appears true for those younger than Boomers.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that, in 2002, some 90 percent of males and 88 percent of females aged 25 to 44 reported ever having oral sex with a partner of the opposite sex.

Comparable figures from 1992 showed that about three-quarters of men aged 20 to 39 and closer to 70 percent of women aged 18 to 59 having ever given or received oral sex.

The silver lining is that the HPV-related head and neck cancers are eminently more treatable than those attributable to smoking or drinking, even though they tend to be diagnosed at a later stage.

"[HPV-related head-and-neck cancers] have been a lot easier to treat. You can use less-intensive radiation," said Dr. D.J. Verret, clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and a facial plastic surgeon in Plano, Texas.

About 85 percent of non-smoking people with HPV-positive tumors survive. That number drops to 45 or 50 percent in people who smoke and are HPV-negative, Lydiatt said.

And tongue and tonsil cancers remain relatively rare in the United States. The other good news -- at least for the younger set -- is that there is a relatively new vaccine to prevent against HPV infection. It's not going to help those who are already infected, but it "absolutely" could help those who aren't yet infected with the ubiquitous virus, Verret said.

Meanwhile, people, especially younger people, need to realize that smoking is not the only risk factor for head and neck cancer. If you find a lump in your neck, even if you're only 20 or 30, "pay attention to it," Lydiatt said.

More information

The U.S. National Cancer Institute has more on head and neck cancers.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Have I missed the threads where this and the drought are being discussed?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/SP-dow...49763.html?x=0

700 cats land Florida couple in jail on 47 counts of animal crueltyBy Mikey O'Connell

August 18, 2011 1:52 AM ET

A Florida couple have be charged with 47 counts animal cruelty after authorities seized 697 cats from their home.

Not to be confused with Nat Geo star and lawful keeper of 700 cats Lynea Lattanzio (pictured above), Pennie and Steve Lefkowitz had been operating the Haven Acres Cat Sanctuary in High Springs, Florida when the county intervened.

The Gainsville Sun reports that more than 60 of the cats were promptly euthenized for advanced disease, while the remaining felines have been collected and cared for in a local warehouse where they're being readied for adoption.

As for the Lefkowitzes, MSNBC says they're free on bail. And Pennie, who spoke about the issue in June, insisted that she and her husband weren't hoarders. They just wanted to help as many cats as possible.

And, for the record, only 46 of the 47 counts of animal cruelty were for the cats. There was 1 rooster involved. His fate is not known at this time.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Another depressing and distressing article about the state of the public school system. Made me think of The Wire.

http://www.salon.com/life/education/..._a_bad_teacher

16 September 2011 Last updated at 14:49 ET

Denver men 'take dead friend Jeffrey Jarrett to bar'

The two men left the body in their car as they drank and ate at bars and a strip club
    Two US men face charges in Denver for allegedly driving around with the body of a friend after discovering him dead.

The pair bought drinks, dinner and took $400 (£253) from Jeffrey Jarrett's bank, visiting a strip club before reporting his death, police said.

Robert Young, 43, and Mark Rubinson, 25, are charged with identity theft, criminal impersonation and abuse of a corpse.

Jarrett was pronounced dead at home in Denver after the 28 August incident.

The cause of death is not currently known, with police saying the results of toxicology tests may not be available for several weeks.

'Bizarre and unfortunate'

Mr Young discovered Jarrett's body on 27 August 2011 when he arrived at his friend's home after being offered the chance to stay there for a while, according to a statement of probable cause released by Denver police.

Instead of calling the police, though, he went to the restaurant where Mr Rubinson worked.

Denver Police Department

The two men, both friends with Jarrett, put his body in the back seat of Mr Rubinson's car and took it to Teddy T's and Sam's No 3 - both bars in Denver - before taking the body back to Jarrett's home.

They continued to Viva Burrito, a Mexican restaurant, and Shotgun Willie's, a strip club in nearby Glendale.

At Shotgun Willie's they also withdrew $400 from Jarrett's account, although court documents do not make clear whether either of the men knew Jarrett's PIN number.

The two men stayed at Shotgun Willie's until closing time, and reported Jarrett's death to the police at around 04:00 in the morning.

Denver Police Department spokesman Sonny Jackson called the incident a "bizarre and unfortunate crime".

He added: "This isn't anything you want to have happen to a loved one. You want them treated with respect in death."

The two men have been released from custody on bail, and are due in court in late September and early October.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"