Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flaming Lips

Default The Flaming Lips

I want to hear old stories of seeing the F'Lips. We all know that they've become their most popular in this decade, but they worked for a hell of a long time to get to where they are. Who saw them when and what can you tell us?

I saw them in 03 opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It was an absolutely astounding show. It was a year before the bubble made its appearance, and they were still relatively unknown. I was blown away by the theatrically insane production and the amazing pop undercurrent to the songs (almost all from Yoshimi and The Soft Bulletin). They did the Nun, Wayne doused himself in blood multiple times and they attempted audience performance as openers. They were widely booed, but I remember loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: The Flaming Lips

...meh.

Nice sig though.

The only time I have seen them was at Coachella, when it took them so long to get the ball going and we only got about 3 or 4 songs.

I enjoyed the little that we got and am so excited for the Pomona show.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Bryan, have you seen The Fearless Freaks? It's a great documentary that chronicles their entire career, and the majority of it focuses on their pre-Soft Bulletin years.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Sounds like a rental/procurement for tomorrow. I love some FLips and definitely want to know more.

So Bryan I assume you've already got tickets to the Greek show in August?
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Wheels Of Cheese

I love the part about when they reminisce on a time they had a motorcycle on stage. One of the brothers of Wayne Coyne would just rev the engine and the place would fill with exhaust. Apparently the urge to floor it into the crowd was nearly irresistible for the guy, because the adrenaline rush was so nuts.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    So Bryan I assume you've already got tickets to the Greek show in August?
    Nope. Going to ATP NY and I hate the Greek theatre with every fiber of my being, and I'm poor, so it's all worked out against that show.

I remember seeing them at the Palladium (02? 03?) and Wayne was telling the crowd how that was their biggest headline show ever (lol at the now...) and there were a ton of people on the side of the state dressed up in animal outfits and dancing. oh how i wanted to be one of those people on stage!

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I hate the Greek theatre with every fiber of my being
    This seems to be a common sentiment among people of this board, dare I ask why? Is it because they charge too much for shitty seats and the sound sucks if you're farther back than the middle of section B? Or is it the stacked parking? What? I've had a lot of great experiences there.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

All of the above. After the parking fiasco at Friday night's Tori Amos show, I was thinking hard about selling my Flaming Lips tickets. The shows are always too quiet and end too early. And I would skip any band no matter who it was if I couldn't get A or B seats; the poor sound in the back sections and the poor sound/visiblity from the Terraces are a complete waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I loved loved loved the Greek when I went there last May to see the Allman Brothers Band, definitely my favorite larger-sized venue in LA I have yet been to... and I liked it a lot better than the Wiltern, which a lot of people seem to love, but both of whom I have only been to once.

So maybe it was just the particular band I saw that night. But I do love myself a good scenic amphitheater... and the Greek is visually outstanding I think. (Also got lucky with the stacked parking and got out immediately).

/off topic
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

The Greek is in a great location, but the sound can be abysmal and parking there is horrid. The sound, in particular, is why I will not go back. It's a problem I've never had with the Wiltern, and I know where to always snag free parking there (and I'll soon be living so close that it won't matter anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    (Also got lucky with the stacked parking and got out immediately).

/off topic
    Ok, here's what to do - right before they line you up to the left on the way in to stack you, there's a small little lot on a lawn on the left just before that. Just wave your arm out your window and nicely ask the worker if you can park there. It's easy in, easy out, same price, and works like a charm. Tell them TallGuyCM sent you and you'll get a special discount.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Wiltern did have fantastic sound, that's the big thing I remember about it. I can't remember what the sound was like the particular night I was at the Greek but I defintiely think the Flaming Lips would need some good quality sound to be enjoyed if you're not up close in all of the action... or if you're not a sucker for crazy visuals.

EDIT: TallGuy are you coming down to Del Mar still?
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

I saw them in 03 opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It was an absolutely astounding show. It was a year before the bubble made its appearance, and they were still relatively unknown. I was blown away by the theatrically insane production and the amazing pop undercurrent to the songs (almost all from Yoshimi and The Soft Bulletin). They did the Nun, Wayne doused himself in blood multiple times and they attempted audience performance as openers. They were widely booed, but I remember loving it.
    I saw them in 2002 about a month or so before Yoshimi came out. They did the Nun, the blood, the animals and confetti and flood lights. The set list was pretty good and Soft Bulletin heavy including:

Race for the Prize
    A Spoonful Weighs a Ton
    The Spark That Bled
    The Spiderbite Song
    Waiting For Superman
    The Gash

I believe they did the Kylie Minogue cover, too. It's been awhile, though. I remember coughing up confetti on the drive home and laughing about what an absurd occasion that I had been apart of.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    EDIT: TallGuy are you coming down to Del Mar still?
    No, I can't. I'm an unashamed fantasy football geek and my college buddies and I all meet out in AZ every August to draft our teams, which happens to be the same weekend as the Del Mar show, which is why I'm seeing them at the Greek the following Monday.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I distinctly remember them doing "Thank You Jack White For the Fiber Optic Jesus You Gave Me" at my show. People didn't like the White Stripes then, and it was widely booed. Oh, Sacramento.

The only time I've seen them was their new year's eve show with Gnarls Barkley and Cat Power. I have pit tickets for the Greek which I'm looking forward to.

I remember talking to a guy in line at their show who said that he saw the Lips play a rollingskating rink back in the '80s. That would have been awesome.

I distinctly remember them doing "Thank You Jack White For the Fiber Optic Jesus You Gave Me" at my show. People didn't like the White Stripes then, and it was widely booed. Oh, Sacramento.
    ha, I think they played that, as well. it went over better with our crowd
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I first saw The Flaming Lips at The Powerhaus (it's now a bank) and a few days later at Reading Festival in Aug 1993. They were quite a different beast back then. Ronald was still on guitar and the band were playing a kind of psychadelic punk vibe. I remember at The Powerhaus, they sent their roadies out to do the encore, and they did a version of Creep with different lyrics (that were a dig at Radiohead and what they deemed to be a boring UK music scene at the time).

The Reading Festival show was one of the loudest sets i ever saw there. They played pretty much all of Hit To Death and i was amazed at the sounds they could get out of their guitars.

I met Steven Drozd a few weeks later at a club i was DJing at. We chatted a lot about music and we even exchanged addresses and phone numbers. I played him some of my bands stuff, which he seemed to like and even said he'd be interested in us supporting if we came over to the US (we didn't). I still have the bit of paper he scribbled his details on somewhere.

Although i'm still a fan, i much prefer the earlier (less electronic, more organic) output. I'm glad to see they recently added Mountain Side back into the set.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

yeah, In A Priest Driven Ambulance is wholly fantastic.

I saw the Flaming Lips open for Beck at the Beacon Theatre in New York in late 2002. I remember Wayne dancing around gleefully and lots of animal suits and beach balls and blood. It was a short set, and the FLips fans in the audience were notably disappointed when Beck came on and started his whole morose, Sea Change-era show. The FLips played backing band for Beck, but the whole thing still seemed so sad after the delight of the opening set. It was only during the encore, when Beck launched into some old Odelay-era material, that the party seemed to return.

Originally Posted by bmack86
    Nope. Yoshimi was good, but not great. I like it quite a bit (and a large part of that, I'm sure, is that I was in high school when it came out and it sounded so fresh) but it's nowhere as good as The Soft Bulletin. It's derivative of that album, and Mystics continued that trend.
    i agree that mystics was a step down. it was as if they didn't know where to go after yoshimi. if anything mystics was derivative of yoshimi, not yoshimi derivative of soft bullentin. soft bullentin was orchestration, yoshimi had more electronic elements. both on different planes in my opinion.

i agree too the live show is something to be desired, but this was a festival appearance, and they really didn't really have time to put on their proper show. although ive never seen them at their own show rather than at a festival apperance (coachella 04 & pitchfork) im sure they have more time to entertain as well as run through a proper set.

here's hoping the new album is great.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Bryan, have you seen The Fearless Freaks? It's a great documentary that chronicles their entire career, and the majority of it focuses on their pre-Soft Bulletin years.
    thats a great doc. shows steven's drug problem, and how they almost came apart.
    Last edited by buddy; 07-20-2009 at 12:57 AM.

yeah, In A Priest Driven Ambulance is wholly fantastic.
    FACT!

I was very excited when they played What A Wonderful World at NYE. It was a part of the moment, but it was also an incorporation of old material, really. I was too young to ever see them tour for Yoshimi, but what I've gotten from them has been swell. I like their covers of War Pigs and Bohemian Rhapsody. And I know they did Purple Rain at NYE OKC, so I hope that comes at Treasure Island.

Don't forget to check out: Oh My Gawd! and Hear It Is. I'm sure you're familiar with Clouds Taste Metallic too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I think I'm a miss out on the Greek Theater show.

But I'm thinking about what costume to wear for Voodoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    It almost makes you think you might actually want to know what you are talking about before you tell people things.

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Sounds like a rental/procurement for tomorrow. I love some FLips and definitely want to know more.
    I recommend this movie even if your not a huge Lips fan. You'll love it, Bryan. I even wrote a little review about it in Schoolio's thread a long time ago.

God Bless The Flaming Lips
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Their show at Sasquatch 08 was the second best show I have ever seen in my entire life.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.