Thread: 2010 Sahara Headliner - cutting to the chase

Default 2010 Sahara Headliner - cutting to the chase

because the hurt/heal game will prolly go on well past april...here is my short list. didn't want to put it in the existing thread cuz there appears to be lots of people still into the game. i just want to put this out there now to see if my prediction skills rule or suck.

Extremely Likely:

Orbital*
    Underworld*
    Soulwax*
    LCD Soundsystem
    Basement Jaxx

Longish Shots:
    Faithless
    Future Sound of London* (as long as they are there, which seems most likely right now...only question is are they headliners or subs?)
    Sasha & Digweed
    Vitalic
    Ghostland Observatory
    TiŽsto

*these would make me very happy
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 11-14-2009 at 09:38 AM.

lowfront

Default Re: 2010 Sahara Headliner - cutting to the chase

Soulwax, LCD Soundsystem better not be headliners......

LCD is likely gonna be one since they're releasing new material and they've been away for some time. coachella could be a "welcome back" party of sorts. i wouldn't mind cuz i think they're fun live, but i've seen them 2x now and would prefer someone new.

why not soulwax? missed them last time they played in town and would love to catch them live. but, of that group, i think they're the least possible.

Banned

I don't see Soulwax headlining, but i can see them being one of the top artists in the Sahara

i.e. coming on before the headliner.

Basement Jaxx and Underworld I can definitely see being a headliner and I sure hope they are

I'm pretty sure LCD SS are going to headline one of the nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Botrocker View Post
    I'm pretty sure LCD SS are going to headline one of the nights.
    Yeah, I don't see why they wouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

IF they got FSOL to actually fly across the pond and perform LIVE- HEADLINER (people would fly from around the world to see that).

problem is that will most likely never happen.

don't see them doing their ISDN show either. imagine the latency broadcasting to Coachella from Europe!

I'm all for eccentric musicians, but that shit that TFOL pulls is above and beyond. Do they have agoraphobia or something?
    "Without music life would be a mistake" ~Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by travolta View Post
    IF they got FSOL to actually fly across the pond and perform LIVE- HEADLINER (people would fly from around the world to see that).

problem is that will most likely never happen.

don't see them doing their ISDN show either. imagine the latency broadcasting to Coachella from Europe!
    ^wow, really? obviously, being a yank this is lost on me (their popularity over there). i kind of feel the same way about FSOL that i do about The Avalanches....90% of the people going will have never heard of them and that's why they won't be headliners under any circumstance. i think this is another case where the gap in us boarders music geekiness shows the separation from the reality (the biz end - thus, the killers headlining last year).

Quote Originally Posted by Leeartlee View Post
    I'm all for eccentric musicians, but that shit that TFOL pulls is above and beyond. Do they have agoraphobia or something?
    no because they do perform live as AA. i read somewhere that they think performing live for an electronic music show is an oxymoron and that they would rather phone it in from their studio. at least thats the jist of it imo..

thing is some of their latest ISDN shows have had technical difficulties that have left fans rather dissappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    ^wow, really? obviously, being a yank this is lost on me (their popularity over there). i kind of feel the same way about FSOL that i do about The Avalanches....90% of the people going will have never heard of them and that's why they won't be headliners under any circumstance. i think this is another case where the gap in us boarders music geekiness shows the separation from the reality (the biz end - thus, the killers headlining last year).

the reason why they would be HEADLINER is like i said, only if GV got them to perform live and in person. that would be a first and have really any FSOL worth their salt booking flights for Indio.

"FSOL in the tent (first live performance ever)"

edit: perhaps i am being bias but i just think the rarity of it would also propel Goldenvoice as a promoter. bah takes it for whats its worth....
    Last edited by travolta; 11-14-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Honestly GHOSTLAND needs to finish off the entire weekend. They could play the exact same set as last year and i wouldnt care a bit. Its like why risk bringing in another Etienne when you know you have a sure shot at ending the weekend w/ a bang.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    Honestly GHOSTLAND needs to finish off the entire weekend. They could play the exact same set as last year and i wouldnt care a bit. Its like why risk bringing in another Etienne when you know you have a sure shot at ending the weekend w/ a bang.
    well, i can't disagree with this. i've made it known on this board of my fondness for GO as a Sahara closer since seeing them close out ACL 07 (on a large side stage with lasers in full glory).

being that there's some precedent (Justice as a sub in 07, then Sahara closer in 08), it's possible. i didn't include them in the first tier because i just am not sure it's going to happen since GO has been playing everywhere the past 12 mos and there could be a saturation concern without a new release.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Why do you thing Vitalic is a long shot? I ask because he would be in my "likely" list. New album, gaining more recognition, not having played Coachella etc.

Soulwax and LCD would get me in the tent.
    8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Why do you thing Vitalic is a long shot? I ask because he would be in my "likely" list. New album, gaining more recognition, not having played Coachella etc.
    i see him more as a sub in the same way that the presets and plump djs were last year (first timers, similar level of popularity, riding on a new album, etc). i suspect there are some that might think putting vitalic in the longshot list was even too generous.

dunno...i admit not being as familiar with him as the others. has he headlined a fest in the past? maybe i should dl flashmob?

Is FSOL that unknown? Jezz, they were on of the first electronic artists I knew by name. Guess times change.
    "Without music life would be a mistake" ~Nietzsche