Thread: What's the next technology for delivering music ?

Default What's the next technology for delivering music ?

We've gone from vinyl to cassette to cd to mp3/aac as the main method of delivering music. DCC & MiniDisc never took off and vinyl will always be around but never will be mainstream again.

So what's next ? I like cd's and vinyl especially but accept they are cumbersome and take a lot of space compared to a single iPod full of music.

Are there other technologies in development ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Wheels Of Cheese

Default Re: What's the next technology for delivering music ?

Yes its currently being called antennae, music will be fed straight into your brain by a mechanical object that is going to look something like this:

They are working on reducing the size due to the fact all hats will need adjustment but within fifteen years we'll all be sporting one of these badboys.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

The Economist did an article years ago where they mentioned a quite from Bowie where he stated that music would flow like water or electricity only it would be free...and that musicians would have to tour for their income....so something like an Ipod but that is connected with the web and that has the links to every track ever recorded....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Wheels Of Cheese

I remember those weird plasticky slips that had codes to digital downloads that you could buy. It was just like the size of a postcard with the album art on the front of it and a scratch-away code on the back. Like an Itunes card. Those died out quickly luckily (at least I don't see them anymore). I think if you wanted to leave your house and give someone an album as a gift you would buy a physical copy.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Lassseerrrrss!!!! Straight to the brain

I'll be very disappointed if the following decade doesn't deliver on the earbone radio technology that the musical toothbrush/ Metal Gear Solid industry has already developed.

I doubt that music delivery will be anything different from .mp3-type files. It will most likely be digital files from now on, but what we will be seeing are throwbacks for retro-lovers and collectors, which we are already seeing; for example, I just bought Abbey Road at Best Buy on vinyl for $12.99. The digital file has pretty much infinite room for quality improvement, and our storage for these files have been getting bigger and bigger every year. Even if music was being sent into your brain, or if you had an iPod with access to all the music in the world, it would still probably be a digital file. The only delivery change will be a change in how you hear the digital file, but it will not become something other than a digital file.

At least, that's what I believe... Who knows if there is some sort of "quantum" disc or a "bio" disc that is more convenient and has better quality.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I'll be very disappointed if the following decade doesn't deliver on the earbone radio technology that the musical toothbrush/ Metal Gear Solid industry has already developed.
    The technology exists. Several kinds of bone conduction techs exist. The problem is the frequency response, it's super fucking limited.

I've worked on a few projects that have used it, but it only works really well in supplement to other kinds of playback.

The next shift in technology beyond simple digital media will be some kind of neural playback using electrochemical transmission. The research is being done... A fair ways off, but the next logical leap.

Neural playback would be awesome, because I don't like headphones or things like that.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Sound Injections.
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    Yes its currently being called antennae, music will be fed straight into your brain by a mechanical object that is going to look something like this:

They are working on reducing the size due to the fact all hats will need adjustment but within fifteen years we'll all be sporting one of these badboys.
    rofl
    Rhythm is a dancer.