Thread: It's Raining Head of Grace Bros. Ladies Separates & Underwear Department

Default It's Raining Head of Grace Bros. Ladies Separates & Underwear Department

Aww. A sad one. Mollie Sudgen, best know for her role as Mrs. Slocombe in the long running britcom Are You Being Served? died yesterday at age 86. Hardly groundbreaking, the show was Britcom comfort food and much to my (and millions of others') delight nearly every episode featured a ridiculous double entendre reference to Mrs. Slocombe's pussy [cat].

Miss Brahams left us earlier this year and Mr. Humphries passed two years ago.

Daily Telegraph Article on her passing.

Default Re: It's Raining Head of Grace Bros. Ladies Separates & Underwear Department

the theme song for this show popped up in my head as i read your post. "comfort food" is a fitting description for Are You Being Served?

i was a young'un when i watched the reruns on TV so i didn't get the pussy jokes the first time round.

Default Re: It's Raining Head of Grace Bros. Ladies Separates & Underwear Department

I'll mourn her loss more than MJ's. Just sayin'.

Oh man. This just ruins my day. I used to love when she talked about petting her pussy. R.I.P. Mollie.

Quote Originally Posted by higgybaby23 View Post
    Me too. Though still not very much.

Mrs Slocombe and Mr Humphries were probably pretty old, but what happened to Miss Brahms?
    The Tinychat password is coache11a

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloka View Post
    Share the art bus to enhance the festival... can be used as stage for band ...
    I can also come early and help set up ...
    How can you say no to this offer, Goldenvoice?

Quote Originally Posted by higgybaby23 View Post

Me too.

This show was friggin' *hilarious* in its time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

This thread is insane. I had no idea you guys ever got this.

Anyway, in answer to your question, Miss Brahms, Wendy Richard, became a well-known British soap matriarch as Pauline Fowler in London misery-fest Eastenders, and was awarded an MBE by the Queen herself. She died of breast cancer earlier this year.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 07-02-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Wheels Of Cheese

I remember my grandmother watching this show when I was younger. 'Tis a shame...
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

When I was a kid and we only had six channels, this show was a staple in the summertime when everything else was in reruns. It was on the local PBS every evening.

Coachella Junkie

Just about every channel got its own British sitcom once Monty Python became a hit on MTV. PBS showed Are You Being Served.

Alright, so question: was Hugh Laurie well known in the US before House?

Stephen Fry?

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Just about every channel got its own British sitcom once Monty Python became a hit on MTV. PBS showed Are You Being Served.
    MTV?

I watched Python every weekend on PBS.

did PBS ever show Blackadder?

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Alright, so question: was Hugh Laurie well known in the US before House?

Stephen Fry?
    They were both semi-well known from Blackadder. To me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    did PBS ever show Blackadder?
    I think I used to watch it on A&E.

Most of these shows weren't actually ON PBS, but PBS affiliates would pick them up, so it varied from city to city. That article said that Are You Being Served got popular in the early 90s, but I know I used to watch it in the early to mid 80s. I believe the Phoenix PBS was credited with "discovering" it in the US, or at least making it popular. It aired every night for a LONG time.

EDIT- This article says it started showing in Arizona in the "late 80s"
    Last edited by M Sparks; 07-02-2009 at 06:24 PM.

MissingPerson,
    As others have stated, Are You Being Served has aired on many PBS (Public Broadcasting - the closet thing we have to the BBC) stations across the US. It became so popular here in the US that they even made retrospective shows in the 90s just for the US audience. I believe the same thing happened with Mrs. Bucket & crew from Keeping Up Appearances.

As for Mr. Laurie, I grew up on Black Adder in the UK and the show aired on PBS stations here for quite some time. Not sure if it still does. House is wildly popular. I believe it's now the most widely watched program in the world. I have friends who watch it regularly who can't believe he's British. Perhaps it's just because I grew up with him as one nutty character after another on Black Adder, but I find his House portrayal hard to swallow and his American accent incredibly forced and unnatural. And I am unanimous in that!

Stephen Fry isn't that well known here. He has done a few guest appearances on 'Bones' but that's it afaik for American tv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

I feel like the US got a raw deal if they picked Patricia Routledge over Stephen Fry...

Jewface, did you grow up in the UK?

I feel like the US got a raw deal if they picked Patricia Routledge over Stephen Fry...
    I've never heard of Patricia Routledge, so I wouldn't say that's the case, at least not across the board.

And Mark...what does being on American TV have to do with being well known here? Hardly any famous British actors do American TV.

I will admit, he's not a household name, but he's certainly a familiar face and voice over here. (And I do love his character on Bones...he's a former glam rock star turned psychologist.)

I didn't know that Fry & Laurie were a comedy team until a few years ago, though. I saw one of the later Secret Policeman's Balls on TV, and they did a skit...something about a plant shop or something, and they get their lines switched around...can't remember exactly, but it was funny. But I was familiar with both of them.

I loved this show, as well as Keeping Up Appearances. I am going to see if I can get the Keeping Up Appearances series on DVD.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I loved this show

Jewface, did you grow up in the UK?
    I hardly think that Patricia Routledge is a household name here either. But, Keeping Up Appearances has been airing in re-runs for years and years now (at least on PBS stations in Southern California) whereas, I don't recall the last time I saw Black Adder or Fry & Laurie on tv here.

If anything, I'd guess that Stephen Fry is most well known here for playing Oscar Wilde. Not a bad thing to be known for, especially not for Mr. Fry.

Yes, I was born and raised in Reading. Which I'm told is not something to say with any measure of pride. Haven't been back there since I was 10.