Thread: It's raining Republican filibusters

Default It's raining Republican filibusters

(CNN) -- Former Sen. Norm Coleman gave up his challenge to the November election results Tuesday, clearing the way for satirist Al Franken to take the state's remaining U.S. Senate seat.

Minnesota's Supreme Court ruled Democrat Al Franken the winner in the state's U.S. Senate race.

1 of 2 The court's unanimous, unsigned opinion declared that Franken "received the highest number of votes legally cast" and is entitled "to receive the certificate of election as United States senator from the state of Minnesota."

"I just congratulated Al Franken on his victory," Coleman said in a press conference with reporters. "I told him it's the best job he'll ever have representing Minnesota in the United States Senate. The Supreme Court has spoken, I will respect its decision, and abide by its results," Coleman also said.

Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie issued the following statement shortly after the announcement.

"I thank the Minnesota Supreme Court, the three-judge election contest panel, the State Canvassing Board, local election officials, and all campaign staff and volunteers for their extraordinary efforts in bringing this U.S. Senate election to its conclusion," Ritchie wrote. "This unanimous opinion of the Court affirms the accuracy and fairness of Minnesota's election laws and recount procedures. As required by Minnesota law, I will co-sign the election certificate as soon as it is issued by Gov. Tim Pawlenty."

The ruling brings an end to seven months of challenges by Coleman. Franken will likely become the 60th member of the Senate Democratic caucus, a move that gives the party a filibuster-proof majority in the chamber, at least on paper.

The former "Saturday Night Live" writer and performer declared victory in the disputed race after a recount ended in January, but Coleman, a Republican seeking a second six-year term, went to court to challenge those results.

Coleman led Franken on election night by a margin of 206 votes out of more than 2.9 million cast. The margin was narrow enough to trigger a recount, however, and that process ended in January with Franken leading by 225 votes.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a Republican, told CNN on Sunday that he would sign Franken's election certificate if the state Supreme Court declared him the winner.

Since winning the initial recount, Franken made a handful of visits to Washington and met with majority leader Harry Reid to discuss Senate business, according to Franken aides.

He also began hiring staff for a Senate office.

The burden all along was on Coleman to prove he was wronged. He appeared on local and national programs to try to make that argument several times.

He was also a regular fixture during the seven weeks of open court, often sitting at the table with his team of counselors and at other times sitting in the gallery with press.

In April, Franken said he was confident he would eventually be certified, and urged Coleman not to appeal and to "let me get to work as soon as possible."

"The campaign for this Senate seat has been long and expensive," he said then.

"The fight ahead, the fight to rebuild our economy and broken health care system and to restore our standing in the world, that's a fight we must win. It's a fight we must win by setting aside partisan gamesmanship and working together."
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: It's raining Republican filibusters

i should point out how Liberal of a state Minnesota is...
    so the fact that Franken won by just a few votes means people weren't that impressed with him.
    Especially considering no Senator sided with Bush more than Norm Coleman.. a monkey could have beaten Coleman by 10 percentage points
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    so the fact that Franken won by just a few votes means people weren't that impressed with him.
    Especially considering no Senator sided with Bush more than Norm Coleman.. a monkey could have beaten Coleman by 10 percentage points
    QFT, Monkey > Franken > Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    Actually, Minnesotans don't much care for liberal v. conservative. They elected Jesse "the Body" Ventura. And Franken's narrow victory is impressive, because he unseated an incumbent, which is very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    Actually, Minnesotans don't much care for liberal v. conservative. They elected Jesse "the Body" Ventura. And Franken's narrow victory is impressive, because he unseated an incumbent, which is very rare.
    I'd vote for Jesse simply because he was in Predator.

"I aint got time to bleed."

That should have been his campaign slogan.

NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Coleman technically couldve taken it to The United States Supreme Court(albeit to no avail)-
    so im guessing the GOP finally told Coleman to get a job

its gotta be costing them so much,monetarily-they mightve been dipping into funds for the 2010/2012 elections

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I'd vote for Jesse simply because he was in Predator.
    "A bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here,this stuff will make you goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus!!"

hmm.. the 60 number includes Specter and Lieberman (a pair of D.I.N.O's if I have ever seen one) And Dems have yet to show the ability to march in lockstep behind the president. What the senate does with the climate bill that narrowly passed the house recently should be a good test. Do they back Obama and Pelosi, or gut it and pass a watered down bill through just for show?
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

Wicked. Now Obama should stop being a pussy and push some seriously controversial stuff through. Legalize polygamy. Make psychedelics a mandatory course in highschool.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Reid just went nuclear on executive appointments and non-SCOTUS judicial nominees.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.