Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brandon goes to Bonnaroo. Sees America. Hates on Texas. Read all about it!

Default Re: Brandon goes to Bonnaroo. Sees America. Hates on Texas. Read all about it!

Two hours is still too long to ask attendees to wait in line, imo.

But then again, I'm an impatient, uptight New Yorker, not a drugged out jam-band loving dirty hippie. Clearly not Bonnaroo's target demographic.

Default Re: Brandon goes to Bonnaroo. Sees America. Hates on Texas. Read all about it!

You know what? That "MENACING" makes me smile most regularly.

Great review B. Sounds like fun in its own way.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    One should not have to use a fucking mnemonic device to figure out where a band is playing, as I had to (a is before i in the alphabet, That Tent is closer to the gate than This Tent). While I'm usually glad not to have to see a band at the Bud Light stage, this time might have been an exception.
    there were five stages. and three were in tents. and they aren't next to each other or even facing in the same direction. AND THEY GAVE YOU A MAP. not trying to dump on you or anything, but this isn't John Nash shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Two hours is still too long to ask attendees to wait in line, imo.

But then again, I'm an impatient, uptight New Yorker, not a drugged out jam-band loving dirty hippie. Clearly not Bonnaroo's target demographic.
    I hate dirty hippies but I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Bonnaroo.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Principal Onyx Blackman wins for best alias.

Your new-student eyes immediately graze over the firm young flanks of our females. And I won't have it! Capiche, amigo? There's nothing I'd like better than to put you new students back on the boat to where you came from. Comprend-zay vous?

I'm an impatient, uptight high maintainence New Yorker, not a cool person willing to have fun while at the same time enjoying making friends with random strangers and just having a good time in general. Clearly not Bonnaroo's target demographic.
    FIXED
    it's better to live as if there are no "do-overs," so that you won't need one. I thought I'd share this with you, to work in the bits about fear, mistakes, and how precious today's opportunities are.

Quote Originally Posted by apostle2 View Post
    there were five stages. and three were in tents. and they aren't next to each other or even facing in the same direction. AND THEY GAVE YOU A MAP. not trying to dump on you or anything, but this isn't John Nash shit...
    Careful, he may have his buddy respond to you with a nasty comment, he tends to hate it when people disagree with him. Apparently everyone should agree with him or else they are a heartless annoying bastard, such as myself.
    it's better to live as if there are no "do-overs," so that you won't need one. I thought I'd share this with you, to work in the bits about fear, mistakes, and how precious today's opportunities are.

I'm going to print this out at work tomorrow and make it my nighttime reading. Want to savor the read.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

That was awesome Brandon. Im didn't know you saw Yeasayer. They were my #2 of the weekend and it killed me too miss it. Luckily NIN were incredible. I could fix up the Yeasayer setlist if you want. Also, don't the new songs sound incredible live? When the new album is realeased, I have no doubt Amblin Alps (Not Amblin AIP) is going to be my favorite song of the year. "Stick up for yourseeeeeeeeeelf soooOOOOOOnnnnn. Don't mIIIIIiiiind what aaaanybody else dooooeees!"

Anyways, I didn't read the whole thing, I just skimmed. It will give it a more thorough read when I have the chance. I just have to say though, your DJ set was awesome. I put it as my #5 act of the weekend. Your mixes were great and everyone who was watching and dancing was having a blast. It is one of my best memories of Bonnaroo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apostle2 View Post
    What
    Which
    This
    That
    Other
    Troo Music
    Sonic
    Silent Disco
    Xbox Disco
    Comedy
    Cinema
    Cafe Where
    Solar
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

apostle, I think everyone fell victim to the stage names at least once. We almost watched Jenny Lewis instead of of Montreal. :/

6 hour lines + jam bands = my own little personal hell.
    I only had to wait 45 minutes this year... and last year I didn't have to wait at all, because there was no one there when we came in. Just lucky I guess. And also, not to start the dumb "jam band" debate up again, but there were only 3 jam bands this year out of 100 total acts on the lineup (albeit one of them was headlining two nights)... sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    apostle, I think everyone fell victim to the stage names at least once. We almost watched Jenny Lewis instead of of Montreal. :/
    I've actually never had problems at all both years I've gone, except this year I got Passion Pit mixed up (just like Brandon did) and waited for The Low Anthem to come out instead... I dunno why... but I wasn't paying enough attention to the schedule, I don't think I actually got the stage names themselves mixed up. I could have done that at Coachella if I was lazy enough I'm sure. Weird that we both mixed up the same thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    I only had to wait 45 minutes this year... and last year I didn't have to wait at all, because there was no one there when we came in. Just lucky I guess. And also, not to start the dumb "jam band" debate up again, but there were only 3 jam bands this year out of 100 total acts on the lineup (albeit one of them was headlining two nights)... sayin.
    That's good that the line wasn't always 6 hours long, because that would be seriously ridiculous. About the jam bands, I didn't read the original debate if there was one. I was mostly referring to Brandon's Government Mule camping story, although I would guess that Bonnaroo's headliner choice of Phish set a certain tone for the festival (just as big Coachella headliners like Rage Against The Machine bring in certain types of fans, etc.)

Yeah in terms of the crowds that Bonnaroo is still somehow attracting, it is amazing how many "jam band types" are still coming even when the vast majority of the lineup is catered more towards the concise indie rock, Coachella/Lollapalooza sort of thing... all you see around Bonnaroo still are dreadlocks and hackysacks and tye dye shirts, and yet all of the most popular bands on the stages at this year's Bonnaroo were The Dirty Projectors, Grizzly Bear, David Byrne, Animal Collective (until they started playing), Bon Iver, Wilco, Yeasayer, etc.

Either the hippies are discovering this great new kind of music now or they're all just coming year after year to hang out and party, the latter of which is most likely... because you never see the hippies inside the tents watching bands, you only see them hanging out at the campgrounds playing music and sitting in their lawn chairs smoking pot.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    Yeah in terms of the crowds that Bonnaroo is still somehow attracting, it is amazing how many "jam band types" are still coming even when the vast majority of the lineup is catered more towards the concise indie rock, Coachella/Lollapalooza sort of thing... all you see around Bonnaroo still are dreadlocks and hackysacks and tye dye shirts, and yet all of the most popular bands on the stages at this year's Bonnaroo were The Dirty Projectors, Grizzly Bear, David Byrne, Animal Collective (until they started playing), Bon Iver, Wilco, Yeasayer, etc.
    Well, like Patrick said, being that headliners play unopposed people just look for shade during the day which would account for the crowds at these stages.

Either the hippies are discovering this great new kind of music now or they're all just coming year after year to hang out and party, the latter of which is most likely... because you never see the hippies inside the tents watching bands, you only see them hanging out at the campgrounds playing music and sitting in their lawn chairs smoking pot.
    Or doing lines of blow.
    last.fm

Speaking of which -- and drugs at Bonnaroo in general -- I witnessed people doing cocaine in public for the first time in my life at Oakenjoke this year. It was slightly amusing. But slightly disturbing. Oh Bonnaroo.

I don't think I'm against the whole "unnopposed headliners" thing... because I hate it when bands I love are playing during the headliners I want to see at Coachella. But for whatever reason I'm usually much more interested in Coachella's headliners than Bonnaroo's headliners. Not to mention Bonnaheadliners usually play twice as long of sets. So I think they should just trade annual festival policies and be done with.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    That's rich coming from the man who championed MGMT.
    3rd best set of the weekend. They absolutely killed it, I couldnt believe I was watching the same band. Jaw dropping good
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

hey brandon. that was one of the best posts ever on this or the old board. you really gave us a feel for the experience, like we were there with you. Extremely well done.

based on my one bonnaroo experience, in 06, your descriptions totally nailed it. Bonnaroo is a fucking chaotic disorganized shithole that has wonderful music embedded deep inside. I like the fact that their range of music is a little broader than Coachella's. but it's so fucked up. i saw so much great music that weekend, didn't have a 6 hour wait like you did, didn't camp so didn't have to put up with the neighbors (this is one reason why camping is a bad idea), but my memories are just as mixed as what you describe. everyone is fucking stoned, which you know is ok, but jeez, if this is america with legalized drugs, then bring in the DEA. it's a dirty hippie clusterfuck while coachella is a friendly, efficient, happy, sunny place. mostly. with just a few exceptions.

The Byrne setlist looks awesome but do you not like "Crosseyed and Painless"? that's like my favorite TH song ever.

You saw a lot of great bands. You had a life experience. You will remember this and tell your grandkids, if they listen. Too bad you didn't get laid.

also, I like Yeasayer too.

Just be thankful they got rid of the "Another Tent" they had a few years back.

I didn't see the part of the review that said Brandon didn't get laid.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Did you see the part of the review that said he did?

Exactly.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

i think our successful, young bachelor has high standards. i'm sure if he wanted to get some granola love he could have used those baby blues to his advantage.

I don't think I'd have relations at Bonnaroo. 4 day hippie stank? PASS.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Principal Onyx Blackman wins for best alias.

Your new-student eyes immediately graze over the firm young flanks of our females. And I won't have it! Capiche, amigo? There's nothing I'd like better than to put you new students back on the boat to where you came from. Comprend-zay vous?

Drugz and using earplugs for nose plugs might help.

I had aural sex at Grizzly Bear.
    last.fm

so I give this nice comment on B's great post and all you people can comment on is my little joking comment about getting laid.

edit: never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    so I give this nice comment
    I haven't come to terms with this yet, I'm in awe.