Page 1 of 34 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: #cnnfail

Default #cnnfail

Has anyone else been following the Iran Election and ensuing protests?

It's ridiculous how big of an event this is, yet there is little to no North American news source covering this story. I've had to check twitter updates for news.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-...d&subj=Webware
    http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...ittered-1.html
    http://renjie.posterous.com/twittere...iran-via-reddi
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bahram...80450519326082
    http://hashtags.org/tag/iranelection/messages
    Last edited by comiddle; 06-14-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Bicycle, you're keeping me sane.

Default Re: #cnnfail

If your being a douche on a motorcycle, you deserve what happens.

Fareed Zakaria was doing a good job covering it this morning on CNN.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    Fareed Zakaria was doing a good job covering it this morning on CNN.
    i use to really enjoy reading this guys stuff. havent in a while, i wonder if its changed. it seemed to me he actually reported and made his "opinions" clear, as opposed to making them sound like fact.
    Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

I love his editorials in Newsweek. Such a good writer.

I was wondering why the only place I heard about this was on the Daily Show and Colbert Report.

i read about this on the front page, above the fold, of the new york times friday and saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

"NBC in Tehran raided, cameras and Equipment confiscated. BBC told to get out Iran immediately."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_215189.html

Apparently a few BBC reporters were briefly detained while doing their jobs. Hmmmmmmmm, there's an industry wide effort to put the kibosh on reporters right before an election many suspect was rigged... hmmmmmmmmmmm...

people are too preoccupied worrying about john and Kate plus 8 and brad and angelina to even realize whats going on past the fucking tabloids.
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

who the fuck is john and kate?

edit: that is a rhetorical question, I really don't give a shit.

back to the topic - I haven't been following at all but am interested to look into now because this seems pretty big. Ever since I moved back to San Diego from Tucson I haven't followed as much world news and current events. I use to get a lot of my info from NPR which was terrific in Tucson. Out here NPR fucking sucks.
    Last edited by unknown; 06-14-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Every time I'm at the grocery store it baffles me that people are so infatuated with such mindless drivel. People & US magazine, ugg.

Either way, seeing as a free press is paramount in any functional democratic process, one can only assume that shenanigans are afoot if the government is trying to silence that press.

And I'm a little surprised that Fox News has't really taken this opportunity to rally their base by carrying on about the unstable, terror loving, freedom hating, etc. Middle East.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-14-2009 at 12:32 PM.

I'm really impressed with how effective Twitter is as a news source.
    However, it's not overly reliable. I've been looking for proof of these rumoured tanks on the streets for about an hour and haven't found visual proof. Rumour of Khatami and Mousavi being arrested as well, yet nothing reliable.

I'd like a reliable source to back these up instead of going on the massive number of RT. It's mostly turned into noise on the feeds now...

Do they not have camera phones in Tehran?

I like how text messages haven't been working in Iran for the past few days as well.

And I just explained why it wouldn't matter Real slick.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-14-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Was watching the BBC news yesterday. Police were trying to shut the reporters down. Crowd promptly told the cops where the fuck to go. It was cool.

Kick ass, John Simpson.

Twitter has come into it's own more than ever expected in this and in a few other events, aside from it's obvious limitations. I was keeping an eye on it from my phone at work and was no wiser by the end of the day what the actual protests were for or against. 140 characters doesn't allow for much detail...

http://twitter.com/persiankiwi

if march goes ahead tomorrow the gov will be powerless to act. they cannot kill millions. #Iranelection

Quote Originally Posted by mvanwinkle View Post
    people are too preoccupied worrying about john and Kate plus 8 and brad and angelina to even realize whats going on past the fucking tabloids.
    madonna was just approved to adopt another malawi orphan!

[holy fuck]From the same twitter[/holy fuck]

dawn is breaking. can hear prayers from mosques. #Iranelection
    7 minutes ago from web

occasionally hear gunshots in distance. no idea where. seems to be all over city. just like 79. #Iranelection
    11 minutes ago from web

everytime i press refresh, system cuts out. no incoming at all. crazy. #Iranelection
    15 minutes ago from web

internet very slow. dialup only. no facebook, no bbc, cnn nothing. even arab stations blocked. #Iranelection
    17 minutes ago from web

have lost mobile contact in university dorm. cannot recoonect. cannot get info. #Iranelection
    19 minutes ago from web

moussavi demo at 4pm this afternoon in 19 cities announced. expect millions. #Iranelection
    24 minutes ago from web

this will not stop. #Iranelection
    26 minutes ago from web

4am and people still on streets and rooftops shouting 'death to the dictator'. #Iranelection
    27 minutes ago from web

students being killed in tehran uni dorm in amirabad right now. this must stop, ahmadinejad must stop. #Iranelection
    30 minutes ago from web

apparently there is running battles in tehran uni right now. i can hear shooting on the phone line. #Iranelection
    34 minutes ago from web

gov trying to arrest all people suspected in organising demo tomorrow and strike on tuesday. #Iranelection
    36 minutes ago from web

i have just been told that moussavihas called national strike on tuesday. #Iranelection
    37 minutes ago from web

i am hearing that students beaten severly at tehran uni tonight. am speaking with someone on the scene now on mobile. #Iranelection
    40 minutes ago from web

i am not sure if students killed in tehran uni dorm. unconfirmed that there was shooting heard there. no students seen. #Iranelection
    44 minutes ago from web

tomorrow if army come we will greet them with roses. #Iranelection
    about 1 hour ago from web

tehran university dorm has ben raided and hundreds of students arrested tonight. this is happening now. #Iranelection

we have no satellite tv, internet is blocked to most sites, no texting at al and very limited mobile phone cover. #Iranelection

tehran is like war zone. it is unbelievable. i have not seen this for 30 years. fires everywhere. shooting, people shouting. #Iranelection

unconfirmed but I am hearing that many killed in tehran uni this evening. #Iranelection

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Fuck yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    i read about this on the front page, above the fold, of the new york times friday and saturday morning.
    right. that's what I was about to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Well what do these people want? Do they want some one more hardline muslim or more pro western? And why hasn't the CIA intervened yet? Very odd........

CIA got kicked out ages ago....
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

From inside the university?

http://twitter.com/Change_for_Iran

@Change_for_Iran: this isn't the police! police is still outside! we're under attack by Ansar-Hezbolah. #iranelection
    As I understand it, Ahmedinijad (spelled from memory, if it's right, I win a prize!) stole the election and is claiming a landslide. The younger, liberal student classes are rightly fucked off with this turn of events and are scrapping with the police, the militias, the army, the conservative bullyboy vigilantes, and anybody else who wants to have a go. They're passionate and they've got numbers on their side, but no organisation or co-ordination and the strike on the university might be the first of many to come. There seems to be a huge, widening gulf between the ruling old conservative interests and the young, hip university generation in Iran, which has all sorts of interesting results, and it seems to have come to a head.

Big march due tomorrow at 4pm local, whatever time that is here. That'll be worth keeping an eye on.

So yeah, I think we can safely root for the protestors.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 06-14-2009 at 04:48 PM.

sounds like a party....someone fly in RATM plz....

Yikes.

Ryan, Moussavi is seen as a reformist and is very popular with the youth. People are pissed about Iran's economic state and blame the incumbent--surprise. Granted I don't know much about Moussavi's politics but he seems less dictatorial.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Yikes.

Ryan, Moussavi is seen as a reformist and is very popular with the youth. People are pissed about Iran's economic state and blame the incumbent--surprise. Granted I don't know much about Moussavi's politics but he seems less dictatorial.
    Of note, he wants to improve relations with the US. None of the candidates recognize the nation of Israel (that's their "gay marriage"), and they all support the nuclear program.

He was also their prime minister during the 80s.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid