Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: google wave

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default google wave

has anyone else seen this? google is reinventing the internet.

I'll see if there's a video of highlights or something. 1 hr 20 mins is a bit much to sit through, and a lot of it is the general ass kissing and self praise that always goes on at conferences.

Default Re: google wave

I did hear a little about this. Pretty good idea.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

alright no condensed video. suck.

but it looks awesome. conversations will exist indpendent of any particular platform. you can reply to a part of a conversation instead of just replying to the entire thing. live updates as other people edit things. the message board will never be the same.

Coachella Junkie

That's pretty fucking amazing.

So youtube will let them post 80 mins of vid? And I cant post a video if its 1 meg over a gig or 10 minutes and 2 seconds, LAME.

One of my friends posted that video on his twitter feed a few days ago all excited, but I didn't have the patience to sit through enough of the video to figure out what exactly Google Wave is.

Coachella Junkie

I mean it's incredibly simple, they took Ajax and made it object oriented. But so well.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    So youtube will let them post 80 mins of vid? And I cant post a video if its 1 meg over a gig or 10 minutes and 2 seconds, LAME.

Reefer madness is also allowed

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    well they do own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    One of my friends posted that video on his twitter feed a few days ago all excited, but I didn't have the patience to sit through enough of the video to figure out what exactly Google Wave is.
    it makes everything so much more easily stored, shared, edited. in a conversation you can reply to the part of the message you are commenting on instead of just replying to the entire thing. you can play back a history of who said what when. if it's a document that can be edited by multiple people you can see who is editing as they edit it. if someone is writing a reply you see the reply as they type it. if you choose to share it elsewhere (e.g. a blog) people on the blog will see comments made in google wave and vice-versa, in real time. so a conversation could have people contributing from google wave, facebook, and some blog all at once. you can get live updates of it all without refreshing. (minus a few instances they haven't gotten working yet).

Coachella Junkie

The most impressive part of that whole presentation was the information that Google has a toolkit that lets you build apps in Java and translates them to HTML.

I am retarded and know nothing about computers. With that information in mind, in idiot speak, could someone tell me what this does and what is so amazing about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

seriously the future is now

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I am retarded and know nothing about computers. With that information in mind, in idiot speak, could someone tell me what this does and what is so amazing about it?
    Thank you Rage. I was thinking the same thing. It looks pretty cool but I don't know what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    it makes everything so much more easily stored, shared, edited. in a conversation you can reply to the part of the message you are commenting on instead of just replying to the entire thing. you can play back a history of who said what when. if it's a document that can be edited by multiple people you can see who is editing as they edit it. if someone is writing a reply you see the reply as they type it. if you choose to share it elsewhere (e.g. a blog) people on the blog will see comments made in google wave and vice-versa, in real time. so a conversation could have people contributing from google wave, facebook, and some blog all at once. you can get live updates of it all without refreshing. (minus a few instances they haven't gotten working yet).
    Ok yeah, that does sound pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    Thank you Rage. I was thinking the same thing. It looks pretty cool but I don't know what it does.
    not to be a dick but...watch the video...its pretty simple

http://mashable.com/2009/05/28/google-wave-guide/

http://mashable.com/2009/05/31/google-wave-features/

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    well they do own it.
    I R not retarted,and i hazn't watched the vid, but I R thinkin' I will haz big clusterfuk soon. (Is that idiot enough for you, Rage?) LOL
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Whatever...End war you fuck holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

these guys know what's up. i signed up for the beta when it was first announced, I can't wait for things to come to fruition, it's way too cool.

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    not to be a dick but...watch the video...its pretty simple
    It's also a real long freaking video to watch if it's something that isn't going to be all that cool for the average user. I don't have a problem with reading something that's a long description, I don't mind looking at pictures but I also don't work an office job because I don't want to go to most conferences. I just didn't want to sit and watch an hour of video hoping for something cool. I watched Waterworld.

Thank you Kingsblend. After reading that I should have just watched the movie. You were right supre.

I think it's way over hyped. Current apps work just fine the way they are for email/web/IM and no one has had any desire to replace them. That sentiment seems to be shared by a lot of folks. I for one won't use it, that's for sure. I don't use gmail, gtalk or Chrome. I may use Chrome when they have it for linux (which was promised within 6 months of the initial Chrome release but still hasn't happened yet!), but google doesn't need to record all my IM conversations and have access to all my email. They have enough information about me as it is, just from logging all my search results.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannibul View Post
    It was NOT over when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

no.

the video is quite long and full of jargon that is only useful to developers. if you can't sit through it, look at some of the descriptions I posted or the links kingsblend posted and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by coldstart View Post
    I think it's way over hyped. Current apps work just fine the way they are for email/web/IM and no one has had any desire to replace them. That sentiment seems to be shared by a lot of folks. I for one won't use it, that's for sure. I don't use gmail, gtalk or Chrome. I may use Chrome when they have it for linux (which was promised within 6 months of the initial Chrome release but still hasn't happened yet!), but google doesn't need to record all my IM conversations and have access to all my email. They have enough information about me as it is, just from logging all my search results.
    lots of people have desires to replace them with something better. it's such a fucking pain to manage email threads at the moment. especially once you get split threads. their new method is a much more sensible way of organizing conversations and preventing multiple people responding simultaneously. and sharing information between apps is a real fucking pain. when I upload my photos to flickr I would like my facebook friends to be able to comment on them. right now it requires me to either upload the photos to two places, or have people sign up for accounts at both places, both of which are a pain.

also, this is a technology not a service. the word is that google won't be hosting all of the wave servers. and they can't stop other people hosting wave servers because it's open source. a company could have their own private wave server for corporate use. the wave servers on the internet could be hosted by google or anybody else.

there is some validity to the concern about them having access to all that information. but ultimately hosted conversations are much more powerful and flexible.

Young blood

As long as I never have to use backpackit again.

Current apps work just fine the way they are for email/web/IM and no one has had any desire to replace them.
    You are so incredibly wrong. They may work fine for you, but many people I know and interact with on a daily basis aren't having their needs met by the current information/communication management infrastructures. Out of these people, every single one has expressed excitement at the implementation that google has proposed.

Big Google.

Incorrect!
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie

It's also a real long freaking video to watch if it's something that isn't going to be all that cool for the average user. I don't have a problem with reading something that's a long description, I don't mind looking at pictures but I also don't work an office job because I don't want to go to most conferences. I just didn't want to sit and watch an hour of video hoping for something cool. I watched Waterworld.

Thank you Kingsblend. After reading that I should have just watched the movie. You were right supre.
    Here's the thing about life. Get ready, this is a life lesson. Most of the time, it's easier to just try something yourself once rather than give up immediately and flop around in public telling everyone you need help.

like work.

I'd be more inclined to use google chrome if I could actually scroll thru a page...if anyone knows if its a settings adjustment please share it so I can proceed with google chrome...