• Amps/Arenas

4 8.89%

Thread: Clubs Vs Small Venues Vs Amp/Arenas

Hybrid View

Banned

Default Clubs Vs Small Venues Vs Amp/Arenas

What are the best to see shows in?

Default Re: Clubs Vs Small Venues Vs Amp/Arenas

i've always enjoyed a well ran small venue.

hard to pick. clubs are fun for the energy, sweat, and closeness to the performers. but you need and arena or amph. for an amazing stage production full of fire, etc.. and once your favorite band makes it big it's sometimes hard to enjoy the shows as much if you have been around since the club days, you long for the shows/days where you see the same couple hundred fans at every show.

having said all that, i think the glass house, fonda, and el rey are some of my favorite places to see shows.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 06-02-2009 at 10:24 AM.

small venues have always been more personal to me

Wheels Of Cheese

So far its unanimous, small venues rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

I like smallish venues like the Troubador, House of Blues, etc. I think the best places hold slightly under 1000 people.

smallish? troub. is about as small as it gets, tiny even.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    smallish? troub. is about as small as it gets, tiny even.
    Well, the Whisky, the Roxy and the Knitting Factory are smaller. Are they considered clubs? I am not sure of the difference. I assume the Key Club is a club?

clubs for sure.

I chose SMALL VENUES. Only because I couldn't put down clubs based on the all too common fact that you're more likely to have to deal with a clueless douche who knows nothing about who you're there to see and proceeds to be an asshole through much of the artists set. It can happen anywhere, but it seems to happen more often in clubs. Otherwise if it's one of those wondrous crowds who have the common goal to just fucking enjoy the music, then a live show in a little club is the BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I chose SMALL VENUES. Only because I couldn't put down clubs based on the all too common fact that you're more likely to have to deal with a clueless douche who knows nothing about who you're there to see and proceeds to be an asshole through much of the artists set. It can happen anywhere, but it seems to happen more often in clubs. Otherwise if it's one of those wondrous crowds who have the common goal to just fucking enjoy the music, then a live show in a little club is the BEST.
    I once went to go see the Watchmen (Tom Morello's solo band) at the troubador, where a majority of people were just at the little bar watching the show from the television in the area. It was so agrivating as so many people wanted tickets and to just see them wasted like that. Thats why I hate clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I think the douche bag factor applies to any venue. Some of the worst examples of douchebaggery are seen at large venues such as the Hollywood Bowl, where the majority of the people are just there to drink and socialize. I've had better experiences at small venues, but I guess it also depends on the bands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    I think the douche bag factor applies to any venue. Some of the worst examples of douchebaggery are seen at large venues such as the Hollywood Bowl, where the majority of the people are just there to drink and socialize. I've had better experiences at small venues, but I guess it also depends on the bands as well.
    Exactly the reason why I dont like going to the bowl

Another question would be, "Sit down or Stand up shows?"
    I would predict stand up would be the winner

hard to pick. clubs are fun for the energy, sweat, and closeness to the performers. but you need and arena or amph. for an amazing stage production full of fire, etc.. and once your favorite band makes it big it's sometimes hard to enjoy the shows as much if you have been around since the club days, you long for the shows/days where you see the same couple hundred fans at every show.
    having said all that, i think the glass house, fonda, and el rey are some of my favorite places to see shows.
    I agree, although I've not been to the 3 you listed. It really does depend on the particular performance and the draw it has that determines the fun factor. Good example is the recent Prodigy show at the Palladium. I had never been there and had no clue as to the size, layout, etc. Honestly, I was expecting a much bigger venue like an arena, perhaps.(Compare to Daft Punk in LA) I was really suprised when we arrived, and my first comment was, "This is gonna make for a really intimately good show." I pretty much thought we'd be up on some tier looking down, not hanging off the front rail like we were! You can pretty much bet that the next time there's a Prodigy show, thanks to all the positive input and good times, there will be many of us who will be longing for that smaller venue! BTW...I was totally impressed with the sound at the Palladium, anyone else? I mean, c'mon, a place that size and Prodigy's sound? Suprisingly perfect, I thought. Not many places that size could pull it off, I don't think. (And, I'm now convinced the Palladium is earthquale proof, no doubt!)
    Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    Another question would be, "Sit down or Stand up shows?"
    I would predict stand up would be the winner
    Once again, that depends on the performance you're there to see. I certainly wasn't gonna sit down at Prodigy, that's for sure! But, say, Paul McCartney? Waters? Billy Joel? < LOL...kidding! The day you guys see me at a Billy Joel show is the day you need to put me out to pasture! LOL Perfect example: Daft Punk. (Again) Saw them in the Sahara VS LA up in the loge level. Pretty hard to dance standing between aisles or in the little area in front of your seat...Had it been a chilled out crowd and music, then yeah, sitting would be preferred.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

WHY ISN'T "POLO FIELD" AN OPTION?!

It would have ended the poll?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

winner

The murder capital where we murder for capital

What's the difference between a small venue and a club? I can think of several places that can be categorized as both. What about theaters? Are they clubs or small venues?

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    What's the difference between a small venue and a club? I can think of several places that can be categorized as both. What about theaters? Are they clubs or small venues?
    as far as i have noticed, the only diff between a club & a small venue is a club serves alcohol...

but my fav continues to be the key club...

for large venues, i'll go with the Gorge, Polo Fields, & Glen Helen (and also the Lorelei @ Rockpalast)... fuck arenas.

& i got attacked by raccoons at the Greek...

Quote Originally Posted by nbvwes View Post

Story?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post

Story?
    it was Swell Season last october... i had one of those seats all the way to the side bout halfway back (where the stairs to the lower level are) and a family of raccoons were obv awaken by the noise and decided to move along, right next to my head where i was standing... i mean, i wasn't bitten or anything, but i was pretty stoned and it scared the shit outta me...

...and a small venue with great sound = a club (imo)

Quote Originally Posted by nbvwes View Post
    as far as i have noticed, the only diff between a club & a small venue is a club serves alcohol...

but my fav continues to be the key club...

for large venues, i'll go with the Gorge, Polo Fields, & Glen Helen (and also the Lorelei @ Rockpalast)... fuck arenas.

Glen Helen?? That place is horrible. I'd much rather go with the hollywood bowl.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

I love the SF Fillmore, which is the standard to which I judge all other small venues.
    12/31 NYE w/ Chromeo @ Fort Mason
    02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
    02/13 Breakbot @ The Mezzanine
    03/02 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)

I like small venues, and standing up in them, for all the aforementioned reasons. That said, there are a few obvious acts - Muse, U2, Springsteen etc - who benefit greatly from a big, huge venue, and a big, huge crowd.

Small venues

Hands Down Small Venues. Only if the sound quality is good though. Nothing sucks worse than going to a small venue to see a STELLAR band and then the sound system sucks. I typically dont listen to big name bands anyway...so they never make it to the Larger venues...so maybe my opinion is not well rounded?
    -jessica
    Check out Malbec:
    http://cli.gs/VZmvrM

Banned

any venue that can escape the bitch hands of ticketmaster