Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Lounge Board Member of the Week?

Default Re: Music Lounge Board Member of the Week?

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Bryan: Who do you feel are the closest American equivalent of the Saints?
    My immediate thought was the Bell-Rays, in that they're a fantastic group that successfully blends old punk with old soul sounds. I was trying to think of an American punk band that pulls that sound off well, but most of the horn-loving punkish bands go ska.
    And, for the record, Dexy's Midnight Runners were briefly a band that could compete with the Saints as well. They did the Celtic Punk/Soul thing on the first album then released a single as a soul punk act before becoming the band that did Too-Rye-Aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Bryan: You can pick any band/artist to cover an album that they didn't write. Which band/artist? Which album will they cover? Why?
    I really want to hear Sonic Youth's proposed cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. They did Within You Without You for the Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father compilation, and apparently planned on releasing a cover of the whole album. I'd love to hear them do a wicked version of A Day in the Life, and I'm sure they'd completely change most of the songs to make them Youth-like. It'd probably have some of the most interesting Beatles covers ever. As an aside, if you've never checked out out that compilation, it's not really worth it except for two songs: the aforementioned SY cover, and the Fall's version of A Day in the Life.

I'd also love to hear someone like No Age or HEALTH cover Ege Bamyasi by Can. Neither of the bands has the technical acumen of Can, but they're so creative that they'd make something unique and probably very much their own out of the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Bryan...buddy ole pal. I've seen you go crazy to Les Savy Fav and other bands, but if you were in a more sophistimicated mood, who's your classical composer of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    the Fall's version of A Day in the Life.
    This is something I must hear immediately.

EDIT: Hahaha. This is either brilliant or terrible. It's hard to tell with Mark E. Smith some times.
    Last edited by SoulDischarge; 05-20-2009 at 04:34 AM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Yes, I have highly enjoyed everything in the MLBWMOTW thread thus far, with the usual exception of ShyGuy's contributions.
    well there you have it folks. this thread is now officially great.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    Bryan...buddy ole pal. I've seen you go crazy to Les Savy Fav and other bands, but if you were in a more sophistimicated mood, who's your classical composer of choice?
    It depends on what I'm looking for. I love Steve Reich's middle period work, where he had all the marimbas and percussion instruments making those beautiful swirling pieces. If I want something more orchestral I tend to go with Shostakovich or Arvo Part, but I'll always be down with Beethoven and Mozart as well. My favorite Mozart piece is Symphony 25 in G Minor. It has such a kickass opening melody.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy75 View Post
    well there you have it folks. this thread is now officially great.
    Isn't it? I mean, you and I can't stay away from it, despite our real hobbies being neglected for our lesser, bad habits of indulging in each other's thoughts on music. Discourse will be the death of us!
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

He's just mad that I saw Silversun Pickups before he'd ever heard of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

old school

you seem a little upset, alchemy. as a staunch defender of all things great on this board, please don't be. one can only lead a horse to water....
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

you seem a little upset, alchemy. as a staunch defender of all things great on this board, please don't be. one can only lead a horse to water....
    I am a little upset, ShyGuy. Can you tell me what I should do with my life? One can't talk about snake poison without talking about snakes....
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

old school

He's just mad that I saw Silversun Pickups before he'd ever heard of them.
    lies, unless you saw them when they were A Couple of Couples. i'm sure you will lie some more now and say you did.

gabe, are you still mad at me from when your girl thought i was someone else, went typical batshit crazy on me, got checked for it forcing you to come to the rescue with a threat of violence on me ... then ultimatly backing down when called on it? poor you.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I am a little upset, ShyGuy. Can you tell me what I should do with my life?
    you should put your talents to good use and make a remix of the scorpians: winds of change.

Can I make a request? Please don't quote him. I'm fine reading y'alls responses, but I don't want to deal with Aaron anymore, and ignore doesn't work if people go on quoting everything he writes.

thanks!

old school

yes everyone. please stop upsetting bmack. if this keeps up, he may stop telling us how great EVERY band he has ever listened to is.

Apologies, Mr. Bryan.

Question: Hypothetically, (let's say you have to do this) if you were going to try and be the next American Idol, what song would you sing for the judges?

Wow. That'd be funny since I can't sing. I'd probably try for something ridiculously out of my range and something that'd likewise confuse the hell out of them, like Clara by Scott Walker. That'd be a lark.

haha

Aaron, I'm the one who thinks you're Everlay. And I still do. You possess all the same rambling fauxfundity and ultimate emptiness that is needed to create a piece of shit such as this.

You're the keyboard warrior, not I.
    Last edited by schoolofruckus; 05-20-2009 at 09:22 AM.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

old school

just when you thought this thread couldn't get any BETTER! BOOM!! gabe morphs into frank hardy. priceless, gabe. no. seriously. priceless.

grown men should not use emoticons.

anyway. Bryan. you have won a free trip in a time machine. what music do you seek out and why?
    Last edited by TomAz; 05-20-2009 at 09:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

old school

Bryan:

How do you think No Age will ultimately be remembered/talked about in 20 years?

Bryan -
    Name your favorite album of the decade for the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s.
    For your health

bmack,
    If you could keep one artist in the history of music from dying before their time, who would you pick?

bmack,
    favorite actor/actress turned singer/musician (or vice versa)?

Bryan - Since you are also a noted film buff, please give me a top 10 (or so) list of your favorite uses of songs in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    grown men should not use emoticons.

anyway. Bryan. you have won a free trip in a time machine. what music do you seek out and why?
    I guess the question is, do I have to come back after a certain amount of time? If not, I drop myself off in Hamburg, Germany in 1960 and start watching the Beatles on the Reeperbahn. 63/64ish I come over the US and spend some time in Memphis to hear all the Stax groups play every night, then head over to San Francisco by 65 to catch the start of the psychedelic movement. I'd jump between there, London and New York for the next few years, making sure to see early VU shows. Over to Cologne by 1970 to hear the early Can, NEU!, Faust and Kraftwerk shows. I'd do New York over London for 77 punk, and then off to LA throughout the 80s, because pretty much every awesome underground band played there at least once.

If I had to go to only one show, I'd travel to Monterey Pop.

Bryan:

How do you think No Age will ultimately be remembered/talked about in 20 years?
    I'm reticent to say. I think it will depend quite a bit on the next album. Right now, if they were to quit, they'd be remembered as a fun and exciting live band that put out two fun albums and, more importantly, galvanized a scene in LA for the first time in quite a while. IF they can knock out a few more albums that capitalize even more on their developing pop sense, they might be able to hit Pavement levvel. They probably won't be able to get any bigger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Bryan -
    Name your favorite album of the decade for the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s.
    60s: It's either the White Album or White Light/White Heat, and I usually lean White Album.
    70s: Can-Tago Mago
    80s: I'm inclined to say either Husker Du-Zen Arcade or Sonic Youth-Daydream Nation
    90s: Pavement-Slanted and Enchanted
    00s: Boredoms-Vision Creation Newsun

Quote Originally Posted by fiyahhh! View Post
    bmack,
    If you could keep one artist in the history of music from dying before their time, who would you pick?
    As much as I want to say Otis Redding (and he's probably the right choice), I'd go with D. Boon of the Minutemen. He was getting so singular in his style and he was starting really expand his songwriting at the time of his death. I'll always wonder how far they could have gone if he'd not died.

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    bmack,
    favorite actor/actress turned singer/musician (or vice versa)?
    Nothing really jumps out off the top of my head. I loved Iggy Pop in Pete and Pete, and Richard Edson (Sonic Youth's first drummer) was briefly entertaining in Ferris Bueller and better in Good Morning Vietnam. I love Zooey Deschanel's version of I Put a Spell on You, but She and Him was so so.

Bryan - Since you are also a noted film buff, please give me a top 10 (or so) list of your favorite uses of songs in movies.
    I'll come back to this because I want to really mull it over.
    Last edited by bmack86; 05-20-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Over to Cologne by 1970 to hear the early Can, NEU!, Faust and Kraftwerk shows.
    There it is.

algunz is here?

can we just all get back to stroking bmacks ego? please!?!?! can't you see he is getting upset! and he has to help his mom for christ sakes! ungrateful asshats, the whole lot of you!

**jared, you are next in line to bless this thread with all things great, so no need to keep posting. we see how anxious you are for your turn, even though you continue to make hipsters around the world proud with the nonchalant brush offs of what is really going on**
    LOL

Bryan: Who do you feel are the closest American equivalent of the Saints?
    The Stooges muthafucker. Actually, it sounds like the Saints were influenced by the Stooges...

I was trying to think of an American punk band that pulls that sound off well, but most of the horn-loving punkish bands go ska.
    This is why ShyGuy75 speaks the truth.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Is your name Bmack? Shut up.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

why are the all fucktards spilling over from the Bonnaroo meet-up thread?
    what's going on in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.