Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Underworld

Default Re: Underworld

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    Happy music.

First reaction was "ah man" but then further listening has strangely made me excited for their new material. Shows me they are putting some thought/effort into something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Ohhh man. It's gonna be badass. Some random instrumental just surfaced on dirty radio that stopped 30 seconds into the track. It was funky as hell

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
    Rhythm is a dancer.

old school

Aurgasm, PM's about DEMF.

The new Underworld tracks that have been slowly making the rounds feel like a mashup between their forgettable 80's period and their forgettable Hundred Days Off period. Kind of a bummer but at least they're trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by fancy restaurant View Post
    Although, I did attend more Slipknot concerts than any person ever really should. I remember once I told their lead singer "This is my 12th Slipknot show!" and he was just like, "Dude. Why?"
    Quote Originally Posted by cperkins9027 View Post
    Bring Aoki back next year and let him bring his friends. Open your minds and appreciate what he can do.

Well you are hearing mashups, you know that right? They're not playing studio edits, just weaving in bits and pieces with other peoples music.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Coachella Junkie

How is the 100 Days Off period forgettable? I really enjoy the album, maybe more-so than Beacoup Fish.

Which is why I remain cautiously optimistic. I remember hearing Between Stars last year when I finally caught them live and thinking it was more along the lines of Underneath The Radar than anything else they've done in the last 20 years. That track/album is cheesy as hell, it's like listening to Ministry back when Al Jourgensen was pretending to be gay and British in the early 80's (which actually worked though...)
    Although, I did attend more Slipknot concerts than any person ever really should. I remember once I told their lead singer "This is my 12th Slipknot show!" and he was just like, "Dude. Why?"
    Bring Aoki back next year and let him bring his friends. Open your minds and appreciate what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarOwl View Post
    Which is why I remain cautiously optimistic. I remember hearing Between Stars last year when I finally caught them live and thinking it was more along the lines of Underneath The Radar than anything else they've done in the last 20 years. That track/album is cheesy as hell, it's like listening to Ministry back when Al Jourgensen was pretending to be gay and British in the early 80's (which actually worked though...)
    I still contend that Al started going down hill after Twitch.

Still I dig on the new Underworld tracks I've heard so far. Scribble is pretty hot (despite my not really caring for D&B). And the track they did with Mark Knight and D.Ramirez, Downpipe, was easily one of my favorite tracks from 09.

need to hear the other two tunes floating around still.

I remain optimistic. But also, let's face it, dubnobasswithmyheadman will never be topped.

not loving scribble

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    I still contend that Al started going down hill after Twitch.

Still I dig on the new Underworld tracks I've heard so far. Scribble is pretty hot (despite my not really caring for D&B). And the track they did with Mark Knight and D.Ramirez, Downpipe, was easily one of my favorite tracks from 09.

need to hear the other two tunes floating around still.

I remain optimistic. But also, let's face it, dubnobasswithmyheadman will never be topped.
    I think second toughest is far superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Coachella Junkie

2nd toughest is a classic.

But dubnobass just has such emotion that the others don't have.

Between dubnobass, Second Toughest and the singles from Dirty right up to Moaner they were untouchable. It's hard to even compare the material during that time because everything from that period holds up so well on its own. By this point the new stuff is more frustrating than anything, because you know the songs they're capable of creating with shit gear and no budget, which they've since moved well beyond.

New album art is up on the uwlive site.

Also- UW is headlining iTunes fest, which will be wbcast live. They also added a Zurich date. They'll be playing with one of the guys from Bloc Party. Large annoncement Monday.

Fingers crossed.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Album details:

diaries audio/video art the world of
    your basket
    items * 0
    Checkout »

New Album details!
    07/06/2010

Barking is the title of Underworld’s first album in three years, and their first to be constructed with a brilliant cast of co-conspirators. All the tracks were written by the band in their Essex studio before being given to handpicked studio heads from across the whole spectrum of dance music to add some of their style and creativity to the band’s raw material. The result is a pimped-up Underworld record and their finest collection of songs in over a decade.

From the first undulating pulses of submariner bass, the first vocals – soft like a whisper in the ear - and the first fizz of hi-hats that force along the pace, the sound is unmistakably Underworld. Electronics wrapped effortlessly around songs; streams of consciousness lyrics that form indelible images; a perfectly balanced mix of melody and rhythm. Underworld’s sixth studio album is a thundering return to form, although it’s fair to say that the band responsible have never really been below par.

The tracks on Barking are:

Bird 1 (additional production by Dubfire)
    Always Loved A Film (a/p Mark Knight & D. Ramirez)
    Scribble (a/p High Contrast)
    Hamburg Hotel (a/p Appleblim & Al Tourettes)
    Grace (a/p Dubfire)
    Between Stars (a/p Mark K & D. Ramirez)
    Diamond Jigsaw (a/p Paul van Dyk)
    Moon In Water (a/p High Contrast)*
    Louisiana*

Underworld are Rick Smith and Karl Hyde. They have been working together in music for thirty years since meeting in Cardiff University in the late ’70s. Following time working in various bands with luminaries like Conny Plank, Iggy Pop and Debbie Harry, Smith and Hyde (with help from DJ Darren Emerson) began experimenting with making club music in the early ’90s, first as Lemon Interupt then reactivating one of their old band names - Underworld - releasing their first single proper, Mmm… Skyscraper, I Love You, in 1993. As well as becoming the first band from the nascent ‘dance’ scene to grace the cover of a weekly music paper, they scored massive critical hits with each of their album releases (Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest In The Infants, Beaucoup Fish, One Hundred Days Off and Oblivion With Bells).

In 2005, Underworld released the Riverrun series, a trio of downloadable mixes of new material and works-in-progress, making them one of the first acts of their scale to attempt to directly sell their own records. The band continue to release alternate versions and curios through underworldlive.com

Underworld’s continuing relationship with director Danny Boyle has seen their music used in many of his movies. In 1996 a former B-side track, Born Slippy (Nuxx), soundtracked an entire summer, selling close to a million copies when released as a single. They recently scored Boyle’s sci-fi movie Sunshine.*

In the early ’90s Smith and Hyde helped co-found the design company tomato. Karl has recently worked extensively with Brian Eno on the collaborative Pure Scenius project, playing largely improvised gigs at Sydney’s Opera House and at the Brighton Festival.

Underworld remain one of the most innovative and dynamic live bands on the planet – after a series of already announced Australian dates this June, they will be touring the album extensively towards the end of the year.

“Scribble”, the first new material from the new album to see the light of day, is available now from underworldlive.com and will be commercially released on 28th June 2010, including a remix by Hospital recording artist, Netsky. The band will also headline the iTunes Festival at London’s Roundhouse on 17th July.

Rhythm is a dancer.

Coachella Junkie

That's alot of collaborative effort on this album, not sure how its going to turn out. Either way, I'm definitely catching them again.

Yay I hope they tour again.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Appleblim!? Holy shit! Good on him!

They seem to have a good read on some of the hot talent out there. Trying to make themselves a little more relevant?

I'm really excited about this album. I bet were gonna see some epic 10-13 minute tracks
    Last edited by Aurgasm; 06-07-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Smile Re: Underworld

Om Signs Underworld For USA, New Album Out in September

Underworld announce brand new album ‘Barking’ set for release September 14th 2010 (13th in the UK). ‘Barking’ is the title of Underworld’s first album in three years, and their first to be constructed with a brilliant cast of co-conspirators. All the tracks were written by the band in their Essex studio before being given to handpicked studio heads from across the whole spectrum of dance music to add some of their style and creativity to the band’s raw material. The result is a pimped-up Underworld record and their finest collection of songs in over a decade.

http://om-records.com/blogs/944-om-s...rworld-for-usa

Posted that. Minute ago, bur thanks for adding the art.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Please tell me where it mentions the OM records details, you silly overreacting twat

really excited about the album

not super into this single. but retaining high hopes.
    'all great things must first wear terrifying and monstrous masks in order to inscribe themselves on the hearts of humanity.' nietzsche

I hope Underworld play their own headlining show in l.a. and that it be either the wiltern, palladium or mayan! Multiple nights would be a definite+ as well...

They're playing a fest in Berlin on September 12th.

If we don't get dates by the album release I suspect we won't see them until next spring as they're known to vacation in Essex for the entire winter season.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

What a gross place to spend winter... home is home, though.

Essex has it's charms.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Essex has it's charms.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"

They can tour with Hanson and I wouldn't give a shit, I just want to see them.
    Where's Underworld and Mew? Make it happen GV.

Aye!
    Rhythm is a dancer.