Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

  1. #1

    Default the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    can someone give me the low down on MBV. i dont follow that type of music, so im not really knowing about them. but after seeing that performance, i am a definate believer in this band. what was that performance they did? was it lke a constant set or what? i was blown away, and ive never seen anything like that. please share your knowledge. thanks!

  2. #2
    Wheels Of Cheese
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Drinking Milk
    Posts
    6,969

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by SDsoldier7 View Post
    can someone give me the low down on MBV. i dont follow that type of music, so im not really knowing about them. but after seeing that performance, i am a definate believer in this band. what was that performance they did? was it lke a constant set or what? i was blown away, and ive never seen anything like that. please share your knowledge. thanks!
    I'm confused on what you want from this post... although I am surprised you liked the performance without ever hearing a single thing from them...

    Just buy Loveless, Isn't anything, and the Glider EP. (for more info look below)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Bloody_Valentine_(band)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

  3. #3
    Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,350

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Attain Loveless by MBV.

    That show seems to be pretty indicative of what they usually do live.

  4. #4
    old school Drewski27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    California's Elbow
    Posts
    5,109

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    they are known for having bloody sex with peoples eardrums. in a loud sexy way.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.

    August 1 - Echo and the Bunnymen - Orpheum
    August 4 - Arcade Fire - SB Bowl
    August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

  5. #5
    old school Cheddar's Cousin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    2,718

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    I understand they are loud...strangely I can't hear what they are saying.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

  6. #6
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,299

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    "Loveless" is the album equivalent of what you saw. Just remember to listen with it cranked up, because it really loses its magic when relegated to ambient volume levels.

    One of my favorite albums ever; I've listened hundreds of times and still can't think of anything i would change.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  7. #7

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    "Loveless" is the album equivalent of what you saw. Just remember to listen with it cranked up, because it really loses its magic when relegated to ambient volume levels.

    One of my favorite albums ever; I've listened hundreds of times and still can't think of anything i would change.
    thanks!

  8. #8
    Coachella Junkie M Sparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,115

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Attain Loveless by MBV.
    That's going to take years of practice. He should just buy the CD and listen to it first.

  9. #9
    Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DC NW
    Posts
    6,007

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    That's going to take years of practice. He should just buy the CD and listen to it first.
    Ron Paul 2012!

    Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

  10. #10
    old school Cheddar's Cousin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    2,718

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Okay

    Listened to Loveless the other day...really loud.

    All I can say is, "I don't get it."
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

  11. #11
    Wheels Of Cheese
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Drinking Milk
    Posts
    6,969

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    Okay

    Listened to Loveless the other day...really loud.

    All I can say is, "I don't get it."
    I'm sorry for you then. Though I must say, it's normally a pretty instant hit with people OR they never get into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

  12. #12
    Member Principal Onyx Blackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In my office.
    Posts
    283

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Yeah, I didn't see what the big deal was.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Principal Onyx Blackman wins for best alias.


    Your new-student eyes immediately graze over the firm young flanks of our females. And I won't have it! Capiche, amigo? There's nothing I'd like better than to put you new students back on the boat to where you came from. Comprend-zay vous?

  13. #13
    Member DRcube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,189

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    I'm sorry for you then. Though I must say, it's normally a pretty instant hit with people OR they never get into it.
    nope...i listened to a couple tracks off loveless, and thought it was pretty weak, but then after a while i just kept on my ipod and tracks always came up on shuffle so they grew on me that way...now they are one of my favorite bands

  14. #14
    Wheels Of Cheese
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Drinking Milk
    Posts
    6,969

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by DRcube View Post
    nope...i listened to a couple tracks off loveless, and thought it was pretty weak, but then after a while i just kept on my ipod and tracks always came up on shuffle so they grew on me that way...now they are one of my favorite bands
    you sir, are an isolated incident...
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

  15. #15
    Member DRcube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    1,189

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    you sir, are an isolated incident...
    dont get mad cause i pooped on your theory

  16. #16
    Wheels Of Cheese
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Drinking Milk
    Posts
    6,969

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by DRcube View Post
    dont get mad cause i pooped on your theory
    Well it doesn't change the fact that pooped on it


    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

  17. #17
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,299

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    you sir, are an isolated incident...
    I have a few friends who feel the same way. I instantly loved it, but the noise has to grow on some people.

    Cheddar, the album should evoke a feeling of numbness and warm isolation. I feel like i'm being washed away by waves of guitar noise. The disconnected, sleepy vocals contribute to this sensation. I don't particularly hear or listen for individual songs, and there aren't really any hooks to speak of that stand out. Its just like a comforting noise blanket.

    If you still don't get it, that's cool. They aren't for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  18. #18
    Wheels Of Cheese
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Drinking Milk
    Posts
    6,969

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    ^
    True.

    But I have to disagree about the absence of hooks. Many of those songs have great melodies. That's one of the many things that sets MBV apart from many of the other shoegazers.
    Last edited by Still-ill; 05-19-2009 at 12:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

  19. #19

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    MBV are pretty melodic, i think. Even a song like To Here Knows When has a lot going on underneath the surface, the way the violin melody keeps on changing behind the noise.

    if not instrumental then usually the lyrics are tuneful as well, good example i think being Moon Song even though that's a fairly "weird" track even for them, the guitar is little more than just noise bursts the whole track but Kevin's singing is beautiful, imo.
    dancing so fast

  20. #20

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    i had to look into them after seeing that show

  21. #21
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,828

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    I have a few friends who feel the same way. I instantly loved it, but the noise has to grow on some people.

    Cheddar, the album should evoke a feeling of numbness and warm isolation. I feel like i'm being washed away by waves of guitar noise. The disconnected, sleepy vocals contribute to this sensation. I don't particularly hear or listen for individual songs, and there aren't really any hooks to speak of that stand out. Its just like a comforting noise blanket.

    If you still don't get it, that's cool. They aren't for everyone.
    a comforting noise blanket? that's ridiculous. maybe you should pop back into your momma's womb.

  22. #22
    Member hendrixfan143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,696

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    the first time I heard What You Want i was sold.

  23. #23
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,299

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    maybe you should pop back into your momma's womb.
    well that was random

    edit: holy shit! Not so random after all... I just checked your post history. A 3700+ post troll! Good lord... you must be bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  24. #24
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,030

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by ldobbie View Post
    MBV are pretty melodic, i think. Even a song like To Here Knows When has a lot going on underneath the surface, the way the violin melody keeps on changing behind the noise.

    if not instrumental then usually the lyrics are tuneful as well, good example i think being Moon Song even though that's a fairly "weird" track even for them, the guitar is little more than just noise bursts the whole track but Kevin's singing is beautiful, imo.
    Wanna hear something wild? That's no violin. It's just guitars doing things that guitars don't normally do. The 33 1/3 (if you've not heard of these, they're a book series where people write about specific albums) on that album is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  25. #25
    old school Geno_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    5,430

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Yeah that's just guitar, it's an SX 190 effect, MBV are gear whores, kevin's effects alone are crazy and he doesn't bring even half of them with him on tour...

  26. #26

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    really? i'd always assumed it was just sampling as if i recall correctly, the majority of the drums on that album are sampled as well.
    dancing so fast

  27. #27
    Wheels Of Cheese
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Drinking Milk
    Posts
    6,969

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Kevin doesn't use very many effects in the studio... at least not on Lovess. He has an assload for his live show just to recreate that sound. Most of it is mic placement and onboard effects through the mixing desk and his rig. Thats what he claims in many of his interviews.
    I have some sources that i'll upload to mediafire. Though I dont think Kevin is completely trustworthy in interviews, he seems to spite being labeled and will disagree with any notions people pin on him. He doesn't even consider MBV shoegaze (although he makes some good points).

    Kevin Shields interview
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

  28. #28
    Wheels Of Cheese
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Drinking Milk
    Posts
    6,969

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    Quote Originally Posted by ldobbie View Post
    really? i'd always assumed it was just sampling as if i recall correctly, the majority of the drums on that album are sampled as well.
    Yeah Colm was really sick and homeless, and even when he drummed it wasn't the full track just recording loops.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

  29. #29
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,030

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    He was so ill for most of the album that he only played on one full track. However, the drum loops are all taken from his playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  30. #30

    Default Re: the 411 on My Bloody Valentine

    This is the TV trailer for Patrick Lussier's My Bloody Valentine 3-D, starring ... Hollywood 411 hit the red carpet for Spike TV Scream 2008 Awards to check

Similar Threads

  1. My Bloody Valentine
    By TeamCoachellaHellYeah in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 10:52 PM
  2. My Bloody Valentine Thu, 10/02/08
    By corbo in forum Passes
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 05:21 PM
  3. my bloody valentine
    By boredofcanada in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 07:21 AM
  4. MY BLOODY VALENTINE
    By SPX_clothing in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 09:00 PM
  5. My Bloody Valentine
    By jenga66 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •