Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Pearl Jam

Default Re: Pearl Jam

Well alright, to be fair I actually like "Jeremy," and I think "Immortality" is alright too but it's probably my least favorite on the album. What makes it the sequel to "Jeremy" is purely surface-level... it's a dark, slow, ballad about death, and the melodies sound vaguely similar to me. Obviously the production of the two songs is pretty different, as they were with the rest of the albums they came from. I may have misunderstood what Tom disasted about Pearl Jam... it may have been the cheesy production of Ten, or what a whiney emo morbid singer Eddie Vedder was, or both, or something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Brain of J. is definately one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs.
    MINE TOO! High five.

I have an unranked top three: Brain of J, Last Exit, and Porch. I guess I really really like the headbangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Because emo kids were so abundant in the '90s.

My 3 (with youtube links so you can hear them asap):

1. Immortality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtcZq7ic4sc

2. Red Mosquito

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSjxh53Ckv4

3. Low Light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=355Mtwpt4K0

Hope this helps!
    Come on man. Lowlight? You are trying to get someone into PJ! Way too meh!
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Come on man. Lowlight? You are trying to get someone into PJ! Way too meh!
    Low Light is one of my favorite songs in the band's entire catalog, and I think what Tom disliked about Ten was how a lot of it sounded the same and somewhat generic. Low Light shows another side of the band's reportoire that casual fans overlook, and proves that not all of their songs sound like Once and Why Go.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Just because they are trying to be indie rock that does not make them cool... They are still a mediocre band at best...
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviate_420 View Post
    Just because they are trying to be indie rock that does not make them cool...
    Who said they are trying to be indie rock?

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

yeah what the fuck?

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

No kidding. If anything, they are selling out. They want to be popular now.
    For your health

Because emo kids were so abundant in the '90s.
    Your sarcasm is surpassed only by your ignorance on this one. Why would a band name itself The FuckEmos (first single, 1995) if there were no emos?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Your sarcasm is surpassed only by your ignorance on this one. Why would a band name itself The FuckEmos (first single, 1995) if there were no emos?
    My bad then. I had never heard of the term "emo" at all until bands like Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional started writing "emotional" music in the late '90s, and were tagged with that title. And then the emergence of bands like AFI and My Chemical Romance in the early 2000s seemed to popularize the look of "emo" that all the kids picked up on.

So forgive me for not being familiar with the FuckEmos way back when. Why the hell would I have heard of them? I don't exactly feel ignorant for that one.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Hey Tom, let me know if I can hook you up with MP3s of the songs any of us suggested.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by gimpboy76 View Post
    Although they may have bad feelings about that show people were pissed about the venue and took it out on the band. The Polo fields were chosen because they did not have an exclusivity deal with Ticketmaster. Anyway people were tired and dusty and started taking their frustration out on the band by throwing their shoes. I've often thought this is why they've never played Coachella again, especially after their fear of festivals ala Roskilde.

I'm still not sure why this got to this point in the first place? tired and and dusty are not reasons to shoe off a band that you went through all that effort to see?

Weird - someone needs to clarify the events leading up to all this better.

Were they done with the show at that point (end of the regular set)?, did they stop mid song to rant? Was there vandalism?

Details people.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

My bad then. I had never heard of the term "emo" at all until bands like Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional started writing "emotional" music in the late '90s, and were tagged with that title. And then the emergence of bands like AFI and My Chemical Romance in the early 2000s seemed to popularize the look of "emo" that all the kids picked up on.

So forgive me for not being familiar with the FuckEmos way back when. Why the hell would I have heard of them? I don't exactly feel ignorant for that one.
    No I wouldn't have expected you to have heard of the FuckEmos who I think never really made it outside of the Austin scene. I was just using them as independent verification that the emo scene was alive in the early 90s, and althought it wasn't yet anywhere close to the mainstream, I was certainly aware of them.

anyway I think we've flogged this horse enough.

Hey Tom, let me know if I can hook you up with MP3s of the songs any of us suggested.
    Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Yes please.
    Cool. I will send when I get off work tonight.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    I'm still not sure why this got to this point in the first place? tired and and dusty are not reasons to shoe off a band that you went through all that effort to see?

Weird - someone needs to clarify the events leading up to all this better.

Were they done with the show at that point (end of the regular set)?, did they stop mid song to rant? Was there vandalism?

Details people.
    Here is a recap from a respected PJ site.

This show, originally planned for the LA area, was problematic with respect to parking and cold temperatures. The unruly crowd was moshing in line during the soundcheck and to PA music! Before PJ started, a roadie sang a hysterical rendition of 'Copa Cabana.' The audience is launching shoes at the stage even before and during the opening acts. In fact, during Eleven's set, a shoe hits Jack Iron's bass drum, he stops the song and says that if he finds out who threw it he would make him pay for the damages (quite pissed). Finally, PJ hits the stage, with the audience behaving outrageously. Prior to 'Deep,' Ed remarks, "Kill your local rapist, but torture him first, then serve him to your enemy for dinner." Later: "The first guy I met today gave me this book and asked if I wanted to know the secret for living forever." Tossing it into the crowd, he says, "Why the fuck would I want to live forever?" During 'Porch,' Ed invites the audience to spit at him. The agitated crowd, continuing to throw stuff onto the stage, leads Ed to comment that "... me and Jeff are going to the front gate and when you exit, we are going to beat the shit out of every barefoot person here" and "... throw a gun so I can shoot you." The band eventually plays from behind their amps so they won't be hit by the flying shoes. This audience was awful. The recording of 'Blood' from this show is released on the 'Daughter' single. 'Fuck Me in the Brain' was released later on the third fan club single (as 'Ramblings'). The guys deserve a medal for playing this long and this well despite the rowdy crowd.
    For your health

Hey Tom, check your PM.
    For your health

I need to stop listening to albums while I'm drunk - didn't like Backspacer too much on first listen after a few glasses of Jack on Saturday, but I've listened to it 2x more since then and it's REALLY solid! A pleasant surprise. My taste in music has changed a lot since their last album came out and I was starting to think I had kinda outgrown PJ, but damn. Great album, only gets better on each listen.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

So i've let it sit for a few days...and this album is awesome...

I was expecting every song to click and be amazing first listen, but it took some time but i love it and these songs are gonna KICKASS live...Gonna See My Friend, Got Some, Johnny Guitar...then there's two of my favorites Amongst The Waves, which might be my favorite on the album and Force of Nature....

Cannot wait for the next few weeks...turn 21 next tuesday then it's onnnnnn

Here is a recap from a respected PJ site.
    thanks
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

on a sidenote - Amongst the Waves is a damn gem. so good.

The album just seems very positive and heartfelt...Got Some is the only song that has even the slightest bit of angst in it. Very well done, especially at this point in the band's career.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I don't know guys. I can't get over how bad Ed's voice sounds on it. I also find it humorous that Stone claims Ed wrote his best lyrics ever on this one. Multiple times I have shook my head at how terrible they are. I liked Avocado, so I think this is a little bit of a step down.
    For your health

I don't know guys. I can't get over how bad Ed's voice sounds on it. I also find it humorous that Stone claims Ed wrote his best lyrics ever on this one. Multiple times I have shook my head at how terrible they are. I liked Avocado, so I think this is a little bit of a step down.
    This album has a definite surf/punk influence on some songs and at this point it is hard for Eds voice to keep up with that tempo....a couple of these songs also seem like B-Sides from Into the Wild that the band picked up

still love it though and it's gonna shine live...hopefully his voice holds up...

RS gave it 4 stars as well. pitchfork however is gonna have a field day with it.

Just found out I'm seeing them on Monday night up in Seattle. I'll be up there for work and my boss was ALL fired up, I can't wait. What a great business trip...and the tickets can be written off!

Anyone else going?
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    Just found out I'm seeing them on Monday night up in Seattle. I'll be up there for work and my boss was ALL fired up, I can't wait. What a great business trip...and the tickets can be written off!

Anyone else going?
    wish i was going...i turn 21 on tuesday and was thinking about going up to Seattle for those shows...should be awesome...they haven't played their hometown in a few years

damnit! just realized the poster presale ended on the 15th and i lagged and never did it. fuck me.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

I got an SD one cuz they always bring it to SD and it's sure to be one of the best shows of the tour.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

this album is ok at best, but nothing special. it starts off crap, but gets better as it goes.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post

Anyone else going?
    I'm going to the show tonight if you're interested in grabbing a drink before.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 09-21-2009 at 03:53 PM.