Thread: Good Times Festival...Bassnectar...Flagstaff, AZ...June 13th

Default Good Times Festival...Bassnectar...Flagstaff, AZ...June 13th

OK, pretty lame compared to all the great festivals in this subforum, but Bassnectar is headlining, the venue is great, the weather should be amazing, and it's $32. At the very least, it's an excuse for some of the Phoenix people to get out of the heat.

The lineup is pretty bizarre...it's a bunch of hip-hop acts with some EDM DJs sprinkled throughout.

Festival Website

I'm guessing this will be just a one stage deal...it's a pretty small venue. Probably DJs spinning on the side while the main acts set up. Website says something about "All Day All Night festivities", but I'm pretty sure they have a midnight noise curfew. The venue seems isolated, but there are residential areas behind it, and it's actually right next to a military recreation area. Here's a pic of the venue...

There is a fairly large, flat, open area in front of the stage with a cement floor. Behind this is 10-15 rows of seats, and then lawn behind that. The open area and seats are covered with an awning. Total capacity is about 3000. Sound quality is usually pretty good no matter where you are, but I don't know how it will handle heavy bass. (I've only seen rock acts.) In the picture, there is a fence behind the seats, but this will be all general admission.

You can camp onsite ($25 per Car/Tent...up to 4 people), or there are a bunch of hotels about 2 miles away...anything on Woodland Village Blvd (Sleep Inn, Motel 6, Ramada, Days Inn) or Beulah Blvd (Flagstaff Suites, Hampton Inn, La Quinta, Comfort Inn) is close..also the Fairfield Inn on Milton Rd, or the Hilton Garden Inn on Forest Meadows. For a "fancy" place, the Radisson Woodlands Hotel isn't that much further, and has special rates if you go through the Pine Mountain Amphitheatre website.

This lineup really isn't my style, but I know Bassnectar will be cool, and it's on my birthday, so I'm there. I'm just plugging this because I like to support anything in Flagstaff that's not a Jam Band or Folk/Bluegrass, and I know there are a lot of Bassnectar fans around here. The more people that show up to stuff like this, the more chance we'll have an alternative to 6 Dark Star Orchestra shows every year.

Default Re: Good Times Festival...Bassnectar...Flagstaff, AZ...June 13th

More venue pics...

I've already bought my tickets, I'm just trying to get a group of my friends to go up with me. Should be a pretty awesome time. I've been trying to see Aceyalone for years and every time he comes to Phoenix or Tempe it's 21+, so I'm extremely pumped to him.

how many rednecks will be at this show huh?
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by forzapalermo04 View Post
    ??? Why would rednecks go to a hip-hop/EDM show? Especially one that they'd have to travel to?

However, be aware that there WILL be quite a few hippies. Flagstaff has a large number of friendly, open-minded, but ultimately annoying hippies who will show up for anything you can dance to.

Quote Originally Posted by forzapalermo04 View Post
    In Flagstaff? Tucson's messing up your mind man, this may be just what you need.

Pigeon John rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Admittedly, Williams (about 12 miles from my house, 30 from Flagstaff) is pretty rednecky.

Flagstaff has it's share of pickup trucks and cowboy boots, but most of the trucks cost $40,000, and the boots are mostly on people with office jobs who for some reason like to listen to Brad Paisley after work.

Flagstaff Population in decending order.

-Hippies with jobs and responsibilities
    -College kids
    -Ski/Mountain Bike fanatics
    -Natives (Najavo & Hopi)
    -Average people who didn't leave after college (me)
    -Real Hippies
    -Yuppies who got rich in Flagstaff (AKA Realtors.)
    -Fake Rednecks (never heard of George Jones)
    -Rich older people who think Prescott is too conservative
    -Punk-rawk kids
    -Wannabe Gangsta kids
    -Hispanics
    -Meth Heads
    -Actual rednecks (usually older...have lived here for 50 years)
    Last edited by M Sparks; 05-06-2009 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Unfortunately, John Amos left after the first year of the festival.

He was the best part, IMO.

Anyone looking to make a long weekend out of it...Shpongle is at The Green Room on Monday, June 15th.

Also, Pride In The Pines is that weekend...there's an opening night party (also at the Green Room) on Friday...Disco time!

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    -Hispanics (usually more educated
    Well thats not racist at all
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Well thats not racist at all
    Not any more racist that assuming everyone up north is white trash rednecks. Well, ok, that's not racist, but it's prejudiced.

But yeah, that probably didn't sound the way I intended. And I probably can't explain it without sounding even worse, so fuck it. I know what I meant, and I was actually being prejudiced against people from Tucson, not Hispanics. And I also draw a big line between "un-PC" and "Racist"...I have no problem being the former and try never to be the latter. But I didn't come here to have this argument, so I'm deleting that comment so it's not misunderstood further.

I'm just trying to get people to come up here and dance, because I think there's going to be about 6 of us there.

Just a little update, this happened last weekend and it was a great. The camping situation was fun especially since there was re-entry for the majority of the day. It wasn't crowded but it wasn't dead either, there was always non stop dancing.

I got there as Drunken Immortals were starting (was a little upset I missed Gaslamp Killer). The set times didn't really follow the poster it seemed. I saw in order, Drunken Immortals, Afro Classics, Breakestra, Aceyalone, Crown City Rockers, and Bassnectar. There were two DJs spinning in between the acts, I don't know who the first one was but he was between the first three sets and then Tricky T was between all the rest. Tricky T was playing a lot of dubstep and that was fun. Everything was really good, but Crown City Rockers and Bassnectar killed it. I have never seen or heard something like Bassnectar. The bass was actually keeping the dance floor area warm. Every now and then he'd stop for about ten seconds and for those seconds you could feel the cold make its way to the floor, it was a crazy experience. It was an excellent time, good music, good people, good times, haha. If you have the chance to visit Flagstaff around the same time as this next year, I'd definitely suggest taking a day to go.