Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: An Album per Week: An Experiment in Listening Habits

Default Re: An Album per Week: An Experiment in Listening Habits

I need to find my copy of Subliminal Sandwich and listen again.

Though I think I will also try to listen to some machinefabriek to sort of play along.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

You need to get Parklife a listen some time. Next week? Different Class is another one. Those would be the two I recommend the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Since I haven't had any other suggestions, I'll go with Murray Street. As for my personal pick, I want to get more familiar with Meat Beat Manifesto. I know 99% pretty well, but not so much the others. Anyone have any input? I'm thinking it's between Satyricon, Subliminal Sandwich, and Actual Sounds + Voices.
    meat beat manifesto is one of my all time favorite bands, if not favorite.
    For me, Subliminal Sandwich is a standout. Many of the tracks are very long, and on disc 2 there are some ambient soundscapes that are the stuff of dreams.
    I like Satyricon equally but for different reasons, Satyricon has more fleshed out beats.
    It was around the time of Satyricon that MBM's Jack Dangers was remixing & producing some interesting stuff with Consolidated and Coil. (his remix of Coil's "The Snow" will return in your subconscious in the early morning hours).
    I don't have anything against Actual Sounds, but I have a heavier relationship with the other two albums. Whatever you pick will be a good time.

This kind of died an undignified death. Anyway, we were having a discussion about Sonic Youth in chat and I wanted to give 00's SY more of a chance to stick with me, so I'm going to give this another shot with Murray Street. Maybe I'll continue on like before if I can focus.

I force myself to listen to one new album per day... on work days it ends up being something like 3.

I also recommend A Ghost Is Born, knowing your taste some, I think that album makes sense as an entry point for you.

What the fuck? Spammers are getting personal.

spammers have feelings too.

Would anyone mind if I took over this thread?

I should start doing this again. But you're welcome to do it as well.

Nice. I need a thread like this to educate myself. I was thinking of starting off with Battles' Mirrored.Then hopefully we can get some recommendations rolling in from there.
    Last edited by seandlr; 03-09-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Heh. The last time I was trying to take this seriously I was listening to Meat Beat Manifesto and Machinefabriek. I don't think I really gave the latter a fair shot as I don't really remember it at all months later. And I think I ended up falling asleep to it more than I actually consciously paid attention to it. I listen to that MBM album quite frequently these days though. I love what they do, although Jack Dangers voice doesn't do a lot for me, so I kind of prefer the tracks that are either more instrumental or let the samples do the heavy lifting as opposed to his vocals. They're not terrible and some times they work for certain songs, but they're extremely unmemorable and dated in places. But everything else he does is always pretty compelling. It's kind of amazing how he pulls together so many different genres and styles (industrial, house, techno, acid, jazz, pop, musique concrete, drum'n'bass, hip hop, etc) into such a seamless, consistent end product. Actual Sounds + Voices pulls it together a lot better than the other album I was intimately familiar with previous to this one, 99%. While there's no high points quite as manic and addictive as "Dog Star Man/Helter Skelter," and there are sections that kind of drag, I definitely think this album is stronger overall than 99%. "Prime Audio Soup" and "Acid Again" are the clear highlights. "3 Floors Above You" sounds a lot like Kraftwerk's "Numbers" gone totally haywire. There's a lot of good atmospheric tracks, and a couple pointless or meandering ones ("The Tweek" and "The Thump," respectively). With a little more focus and trimming, this could have been an A album, but I'll give it a B+.

Would you take suggestions Patrick?

If so, and if you're down with good Indie Pop stuff, I'd highly recommend spending a week with The Chills-Submarine Bells. You too, Sean. A simply fantastic record.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'm going to give Machinefabriek another spin. And I kind of want to do a Nico album soon. But I could use some pop to counter the Machinefabriek, so sure.

Wheels Of Cheese

I downloaded Dauw by Machinefabriek... is that a good starting place? If anyone has heard it obviously.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Jared recommended that one to me, I'd assume that's probably a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

If so, and if you're down with good Indie Pop stuff, I'd highly recommend spending a week with The Chills-Submarine Bells. You too, Sean. A simply fantastic record.
    Suggestions are key. Let's keep this thread and the young'uns thread on the first page, huh? Easily two of the most important threads on the board.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The one he recommended to me in here was Marijn, and I've enjoyed it the times I've listened to it thusfar. It's just really difficult for me to write about ambient/instrumental noise music.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

Thanks. I'll make an effort to have it downloaded by tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to find it.

Wheels Of Cheese

Yeah I went on What.cd and just click on an album at random from 2009, and it said something in the review like Nearly one year since Dauw nailed our jaws to the floor... So I just downloaded it.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

DISCLAIMER: I really haven't been listening to music the way I do now since I've joined the message boards. My tastes have really expanded since, however I'm sure I'll still make some stupid ignorant statements, so just bare with me here.

So I listened to Submarine Bells- Chills about 6 times. On the first listen, I found the record to be a bit dull and underwhelming, but after a few more listens, I really began to enjoy it (The same experience happened to me when I was listening to Can's "Tago Mago"). To me, I can really relate this album to the Cure's "Staring At the Sea." And when I say that, I don't mean the style, I'm just referring to the feeling of it, if that makes sense to anyone. Out of twelve songs, I found 3 to be really good, and he rest were just good, and I think I only found one soung I really didn't like. My favorite song overall by far was "Don't Be-Memory." IMO, that song is fucking solid and should be heard by everyone. Following that song, I also liked "Part Past Past Fiction" and "I Soar." What I really liked about "I Soar" was that flute synth sound going on. The rating I give this album is a 7.9. At times when I listen to it,I feel that rating is too high, but when I think about, I feel it deserves a higher rating. I can sense that this album was a major stepping stone for indie pop music, and I am glad it is now part of my library. Thanks bmack.

Now, considering that I have a really weak music library, can someone please recommend me another album. Thanks
    Last edited by seandlr; 03-23-2010 at 01:49 PM.

By the way, I haven't forgotten about this. I was working on a write-up on Machinefabriek last night but got sidetracked with a rant about ambient music in general. I'll get around to finishing it and giving The Chills album it's proper due as well.

Here's some suggestions:

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus (underground hip hop)
    The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace (post-punk)
    Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark, Vol. 1 (industrial (sort of)/electronic)
    Caetano Veloso - self titled (1968) (tropicalia)
    Husker Du - Zen Arcade (hardcore punk)

Dauw is a good place to start, his latest full length Shuffle is different, but might also be a good introduction to his musical approach.

Here's some suggestions:

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus (underground hip hop)
    The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace (post-punk)
    Coil - Musick To Play In The Dark, Vol. 1 (industrial (sort of)/electronic)
    Caetano Veloso - self titled (1968) (tropicalia)
    Husker Du - Zen Arcade (hardcore punk)
    I've never really been interested in the hip-hop styles of those like EL-P and others alike. I still gave that album a listen today, and my opinion still stands on that type of hip-hop. I guess I'm still in my Rhymesayers phase. So I'll pass on that one.

I did download The Fall's - This Nation's Saving Grace, and just with the first listen I already like it. So far, these tracks stick out: Barmy, Vixen, and Petty (Thief) Lout. So I'll tackle this album for sure. And one question I've always been curious about; in music, what specifically makes something "Post-Punk"? I see this term used a lot when people review albums/songs and I've never really had a clue what they really mean by this. So if someone can explain this to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have always wanted to try out Husker Du. Yet I've never really been fond of "Hardcore Punk." But I am eager to give it a shot. So, Is Husker Du the right place to start for Hardcore Punk?

Thanks.

and for the sake of it, I'll repost:
    DISCLAIMER: I really haven't been listening to music the way I do now since I've joined the message boards. My tastes have really expanded since, however I'm sure I'll still make some stupid, ignorant statements, so just bare with me here.

Husker Du isn't traditional hardcore punk. Which is to say, yes, that would be a fantastic place to start. Zen Arcade and Double Nickels on the Dime by the Minutemen were either the dual pinnacles of Hardcore or the points where hardcore stopped being whatever it was and became indie/alternative/underground. Zen Arcade is also a fucking fantastic album.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Husker Du is more post hardcore, no?
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

They bridge the gap. The first two records are pure hardcore records, but then at Metal Circus (an EP) they started to really develop their melodic senses. Zen Arcade is one of, if not the, first melodic hardcore albums. Not like Fucked Up do it though, they sing well, play well and generally kick the shit out of everyone else in the scene (except the Minutemen and the Meat Puppets).

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i have no idea why, but it's probably been over 10 years since i've listened to Zen Arcade. Need to get a copy of that.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

So, I just got Zen Arcade, can you give me a few things to watch out for as I listen to this album? AND can someone please answer my "Post-Punk" question?

And one question I've always been curious about; in music, what specifically makes something "Post-Punk"? I see this term used a lot when people review albums/songs and I've never really had a clue what they really mean by this. So if someone can explain this to me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Wheels Of Cheese

Well... a pretty basic way to look at post-punk is punk music melded with experimental music (i.e. Krautrock) or more "complex" musics. But, most importantly it still has the message and aesthetic of punk music.

Zen Arcade is a concept record about a teenager who runs away from his dysfunctional family and does all sorts of wild stuff only to wake up and realize it's a dream. The concept shit doesn't matter though. What I'd recommend is giving it a few listens before you make any calls about it. It's a long album at over 70 minutes and 23 tracks. If you get tired of the final song, that's fine. I rarely listen to it, as it's just a long instrumental that doesn't really add a ton to the album. I'd recommend the first time just going thru and experiencing it as a whole, and then the second time, focus on some of the songs that caught your attention. My guess is they will be Never Talking To You Again, Chartered Trip, Pink Turns To Blue, Turn Off the News and Whatever. Those ones have less of the overt hardcore punk sound and will be more immediately accesible. Take those and use them as a key to open up the rest of the album. Each song (barring the last track) is pretty fantastic (Yes, even Hare Krsna, the goofiness works wonders with the sequencing.)