Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: An Album per Week: An Experiment in Listening Habits

Default Re: An Album per Week: An Experiment in Listening Habits

And Electrelane.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Exactly.

Patrick, I gave my .02 but didn't want turn first week of your project into some stupid Wilco debate. You listened though and the thread wasn't derailed so that's all that's important.
    Although maybe not a good choice for beginner's Wilco, in a way it was a good choice for this thread. It's the type of album where the only way you really are going to hear its strengths and be able to separate them from the weaknesses is through dedicated listening. And if it weren't for this project, I probably wouldn't have listened to it again after the first one or two times. I'm pretty sure I'll only spin it on very rare occasions, but at least I have an opinion about it now.

I first heard In The Aeroplane Over the Sea whilst working a job in Tucson in 1999. My coworker/friend didn't have many albums but those he had were almost all masterpieces. A Talking Heads comp that I can't identify right now (which caused me to say "Haha, they're covering Living Colour"); Life at Folsum Prison and Lonesome Crowded West... and this one by Neutral Milk Hotel.

I heard bits and pieces of it a couple times walking around and asked about it. Or, rather, I asked about it a couple times, usually just after "King of Carrot Flowers, Pts 2-3." I wasn't sure I liked it but it was certainly compelling. At any rate Kenny finally said that I should just borrow it... and first full listen on my own and I was hooked. The imagery was rich and gorgeous, the music was wild and exciting, his voice was interesting and soooo emotive. It's the latter that really got me; the emotional weight of the album is stunning.

But yeah, I had it bad. Pretty much every fantasy sports team I had for the next year or so was a NMH lyrical reference. Kenny said that it wasn't any good but I went out and got On Avery Island anyway and loved it, too. I think it has several songs that are better than anything on Aeroplane even though Aeroplane is still the better album.

Random Electrelane story: I saw them Sept 17, 2004 at Solar Culture in Tucson, AZ. It was a great show. They covered "I'm On Fire." The club was getting warm so they had the back door open. There are railroad tracks directly behind Solar Culture and during the encore, "Oh Sombra," a train passed by. IT WAS FUCKING GORGEOUS. It meshed with the music beautifully. It didn't overpower or ruin anything, it was a positive addition.

Fast forward to May, 2005 when their third album, Axes comes out. I buy it and listen and, hey, what's that on "Gone Darker"? It's a fucking train. And it fits right in the song, it's there just as another instrument.

When I finally got the June 2005 copy of The Wire what had them on the cover and read the article they talk about that night in Tucson, and how after the show they went out and did recordings of trains and wrote a song around it what they got.

I first heard it a couple years ago when a number of people on this board made fun of me for not having heard it. Immediately loved Carrot Flowers Pt 1, immediately disliked Carrot Flowers Pt 2 and 3. Anyway I've grown to like it quite a bit but still don't get the Sgt Pepper bit.

And John, I think "Memories Can't Wait" is on the Sand in the Vaseline comp.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I will refrain from suggesting a CD in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post

No, Patrick was glad it was suggested. You were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    And John, I think "Memories Can't Wait" is on the Sand in the Vaseline comp.
    Yeah, but I don't think what he had was two CDs. Then again, there aren't any other options, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post

No, Patrick was glad it was suggested. You were fine.
    Thanks, Faxy. I'm feeling the love.
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Yeah, but I don't think what he had was two CDs. Then again, there aren't any other options, huh.
    I think there might be a "Best of".
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think there might be a "Best of".
    It came out five years too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiessp View Post
    awww. I'm sorry.

Yeah. Just because I don't like one album that someone suggested doesn't mean I don't welcome future suggestions. If I didn't want to open myself up to stuff I normally wouldn't listen to on my own, I wouldn't ask for recommendations. And I didn't hate the Wilco album, I was just underwhelmed.

Actually, I was just tested out my new keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    For both bands, I tend to lean towards their "experimental masterpieces" as far as start to finish headphone albums, but for stand-out song perfection, nothing beats Summerteeth / The Bends.
    Very well said. I've been trying to come up with a way to explain why I like the Bends best for years, and am never able to properly defend my case. But that's exactly the train of thought I've been trying to convey.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I didn't get to In The Aeroplane Over the Sea during your listening period but it is queued up next for after The Milk Eyed Mender.

EDIT: I am a moron. I did listen to this earlier this week. Not that I have any problem with listening to it again.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 05-15-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Wrongness

I have yet to listen to Neutral Milk Hotel. I must get acquainted.

I'm a bit late with this. I was busier than usual yesterday and hungover today. But back on track.

Electrelane - The Power Out
    Like I said a week ago, I had Electrelane pegged as Stereolab rip offs for awhile, but I was pretty sure that wasn't accurate (although being a Stereolab rip off isn't too bad of a place to be). After listening to The Power Out all week, it seems they have more in common with female post punk groups like Pylon. There's definitely a Stereolab influence, but for the most part Electrelane prefer to quietly rock instead of drone. The opening track, "Gone Under Sea," is probably the closest in sound to Stereolab. While not a bad track, it's an underwhelming choice for an opener and would work a lot better towards the end of the album. Fortunately, the rest of the album flows a lot better. There's nothing really revolutionary on here, just a bunch of good songs drawing from all the right influences. It's kind of a soothing listen, never getting too worked up (although a few tracks, like "On Parade" and "Going Out Again," build on some up-tempo propulsive rhythms reminiscent of krautrock and post-punk past) or too sluggish. There are a lot of nice embellishments and production elements that work well because they're incorporated into the structure of the songs, not just gimmicks tacked on. It's a pretty easy record to enjoy on first listen, and on the 20th, but it's also not something I'm going to be addicted to, as too much of it seems instantly familiar. I'm glad it was suggested, and I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys indie pop with a few well established experimental influences thrown in.

B

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    While I'm not entirely sure it's the fourth best album of the 90's, as Pitchfork does, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is a great album and deserves at least a good portion of the praise it gets. The most striking thing about the album is Jeff Mangum's voice and lyrics. While there are a ton of wonderful odd instruments that pop up all over the place to supplement the songs, most everything on here would probably work just as well live with only Mangum and a guitar. And even though the songwriting is conistently strong, the most exciting moments come with certain inflections of his voice, usually when he's straining it past his rather limited range. There's something affecting about someone who isn't embarrassed to stretch their singing just past what they're capable of in order to inspire a certain emotion. "The King Of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 2," "Two Headed Boy," and "Oh Comely" stretch the farthest and end up being the highlights of the album. As good as the individual songs are, they work even better taken as a whole. The album progresses from song to song like a singular 40 minute suite, with certain themes recurring over the course of the album. Nothing seems out of place and no moment seems excessive. I can't imagine listening to the first song and not wanting to hear the whole album, even though it's kind of an exhausting listen. This is emotive bear-your-soul music, and it covers a lot of emotional ground. There are moments of almost unbearable joy and sorrow scattered across the album. Another interesting thing about the album is how the emotions come out of casually surreal passages, in both the lyrics and the instrumentation. It feels like a revisionist look at the past from a modern perspective. I've got a feeling I'll still be listening to this in a couple of years.

A+

I'll choose a new album tomorrow for my personal choice. Meanwhile, go ahead and submit your suggestions.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    ...The most striking thing about the album is Jeff Mangum's voice and lyrics. While there are a ton of wonderful odd instruments that pop up all over the place to supplement the songs, most everything on here would probably work just as well live with only Mangum and a guitar.
    This is available on Live at Jittery Joe's. Or, at least four of the tracks on Aeroplane are found on this solo live disc.

Jeff did that set in March 1997 (Aeroplane was recorded that summer) and, working mostly without a setlist, he does requests. One thing of note is that somebody requests "Jesus Christ" and he complains "that doesn't go anywhere." He decides to append "Up and Over" on to the end... and that's how these songs ended up on Aeroplane, together as "King of Carrot Flowers Pt 2-3."

At any rate, this disc is 48 minutes of just Jeff and a guitar. And a baby screaming in the background. It's quite glorious.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 05-16-2009 at 10:50 PM.

listen to Mason Jennings

self titled album.

Patrick, I'm certain you've listened to it, but I'd like for you to consider listening to Murray Street every day next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Since I haven't had any other suggestions, I'll go with Murray Street. As for my personal pick, I want to get more familiar with Meat Beat Manifesto. I know 99% pretty well, but not so much the others. Anyone have any input? I'm thinking it's between Satyricon, Subliminal Sandwich, and Actual Sounds + Voices.

To switch things up a bit... I'd like to recommend something a little different... A little less song based...

Machinefabriek's Marijn is undoubtedly one of the best experimental albums of the 00s. Anyone that is fond of post-rock or ambient music will be able to latch onto it pretty quickly, even if it is a bit out there.

Might get shot down... But I figured it was worth a go.

I remember you were just saying how you've had trouble getting into latter-era Sonic Youth (I think)... so I definitely think Murray Street would be an excellent jumping-in point, even if its the exact opposite side of their style to their work in the 80s. Its not immediately accessible, but then again, I'd say its more accessible than the majority of their albums.

As for MBM, my favorite album of there's is Actual Sounds + Voices, I've actually been listening to that since I was 11 years old, one of the earliest CDs I ever bought... so it's definitely a personal choice, but I still think its great. And then Satyricon is probably their most famous album.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

I also failed on the A Ghost is Born reccomendation too though, so I should probably keep clear of this thread, to be safe.

I've been seeing you hype up that Machinefabriek album quite a bit on here and have been curious. I already have it downloaded. I do need to give Murray Street a fair shot at some point, but I'd rather focus on more unfamiliar things with this. So I'll go with Marijn. And Actual Sounds + Voices. Thanks for playing.

I've also been interested in Machinefabriek for a while now thanks to Jared... but I've never found his/her/their stuff available for download, not even on itunes. Maybe I should look again...

Soulseek.

i'll upload the machinefabriek album in flac for anyone interested. just pm me.

oh and googling "marijn rapidshare" and looking at the 4th result worked for me...

or you could go to experimentaletc.blogspot.com and search for machinefabriek (that will probably turn up a LOT of links)...
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 05-17-2009 at 05:03 PM.