Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Art thread

Default Re: Art thread

This is my friends art. I tell her she spends to much time doodling even though i think her doodles are still really good.
    Heres some of her stuff.
    theres more at her blog http://mybrainisfullofshit.blogspot.com/

what happens when she actually sits down for awhile and makes something.

Last edited by ambient sounds; 07-29-2011 at 12:16 PM.

That's some very cool stuff.

Although I can tell you, having art like that around your house can be a bit confusing for a 4 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    This shit is seriously cool. It's a slideshow so I can't put an example up but it's basically photos of objects being exploded. The rhubarb is my favorite.
    He has a Flickr of way more stuff. I had this picture as my background for about a month. He has gone viral so many times you can see his influence during many current TV ads. Lot's of slow motion shit getting shattered in commercials recently.

Keyboard Chaos by alan_sailer, on Flickr
    Last edited by lunatic core; 07-29-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Quote Originally Posted by ambient sounds View Post
    This is my friends art. I tell her she spends to much time doodling even though i think her doodles are still really good.
    Heres some of her stuff.
    theres more at her blog http://mybrainisfullofshit.blogspot.com/

what happens when she actually sits down for awhile and makes something.

'Like.'

The Flaming Lips opened up an art gallery type place in OKC this month. Went down and got some pics of the first exhibit by Bigfoot, and some pictures of the amazing building art by Maya Hayuk.

Corner of WOMB by Lunatic Core, on Flickr

inside the womballoons by Lunatic Core, on Flickr

taste the colors by Lunatic Core, on Flickr

Meditation by Lunatic Core, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6519339...n/photostream/
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Massive mural in El Reno, OK
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Edward Kienholz, Five Car Stud 1969–1972, Revisited at LACMA. Wow. I had never heard of the work nor the artist and was floored at the entire exhibit. The weight of the work and its oppressiveness was astounding even in very post-Civil Right era. If anyone's at LACMA in the near future I'd highly suggest going and seeing it. Even if you have no plans to visit LACMA, I'd make some, it really was pretty astounding.

Pemberton (7/18-20) ~ FYF (8/22-23)

WTF is OKC???
    fuckin' with the lights on

oklahoma city?

have kids? they need a lunchbox for school? do you? here you go:

http://brandonbird.com/lunchboxes.ht...CcQ4c.facebook

I pretty much like them all, but this is just amazing.

Does she sell this stuff, show it, duplicate it?

I dont know. I think she really has ever tried to sell anything. I think she has sold something once or twice but i dont think she ever has the intention to sell her stuff. Just makes what she makes with no after plan. I think shes talked about showing her stuff in a show or something but i dot think she thinks shes ready. If she draws someone i think she usually gives it to the person if they want it.

you think. a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by knytt View Post

Edward Kienholz, Five Car Stud 19691972, Revisited at LACMA. Wow. I had never heard of the work nor the artist and was floored at the entire exhibit. The weight of the work and its oppressiveness was astounding even in very post-Civil Right era. If anyone's at LACMA in the near future I'd highly suggest going and seeing it. Even if you have no plans to visit LACMA, I'd make some, it really was pretty astounding.
    I attended the MOCA show in 96 at least 10 times and was genuinely sad when it closed.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I went to Metropolis II at LACMA today and was not impressed. It was more interesting looking at the architecture and trying to figure out what the different buildings could be (a hotel, the projects, etc) before the cars started moving. I think it fell short of it's potential. The element of light would have made the metaphor even more powerful. I don't know how more complex that would make the installation to make, but it would have made it soooooo much cooler. Otherwise it was just a matchbox track on crack.

I made this video for my class last semester. My friend Angie also did the artwork in the video but we had some miscommunication on what I actually wanted in the painting but i guess it still worked out. She always does good work no matter what but i have to work on explaining the ideas I have in my head. I also submitted the video as part of my application for the film program at my school. Hopefully I get in.

It's all about that Gran Torino lunchbox. Blatant justified racism goes better with a thermos and pb and j.

James got attacked. Should I sue?

I made this video for my class last semester. My friend Angie also did the artwork in the video but we had some miscommunication on what I actually wanted in the painting but i guess it still worked out. She always does good work no matter what but i have to work on explaining the ideas I have in my head. I also submitted the video as part of my application for the film program at my school. Hopefully I get in.

What were you hoping for in the painting? I watched it with no sound and visually it's intriguing. A-

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

yesterday IFA and i went to the phoenix art museum. on wednesday's, it's a voluntary donation day. i donated $5 and had dinner at the cafe. i've been wanting to check out the frank lloyd wright exhibit and the arizona centennial exhibit. the frank lloyd wright exhibit was beautiful. they had many of his sketches, some of unbuilt projects. there were also models. they had short films as well, but i didn't watch any.

the drawings had so much detail. and i LOVE his font. some of them were in colour and looked like works of art. it's sad how many unbuilt projects there were, one was destroyed too. i knew FLW lived here, but i didn't realize how many houses he built here. i'd love to see them; i should research if they are open to the public.

one of my favourites was a drawing of a "living city" concept from 1958. they had these little flying pods in them.

of course the falling water was cool:

he had a great sketch of an early 1900s building with horses & carriages. it was in NY, but was demolished. it was the first building with air conditioning. i can't find a sketch though.

they also had a giant model and sketches of his proposed arizona state capital building. SO wish that would have come to life.

the nighttime sketches were beautiful.

we spent so much time in there and i was so tired, i couldn't make it to the arizona centennial exhibit, so we're going again next week. the fashion exhibit is always cool too.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Ivy, you need to go to Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    What were you hoping for in the painting? I watched it with no sound and visually it's intriguing. A-
    Thanks! I was hoping more of l his face like falling apart, warping and sagging. Shes drawn some really crazy illustrations so i thought she would do that but she got mixed up in thinking that i really wanted a painting and used paint. I don't think shes that conferrable using that medium for the crazy stuff she usually draws(shes the same artist that I posted at the beginning of this page) so the portrait turned out a bit tame for what she can really do.

"The Scream" is going up for auction, and is estimated to sell for at least $80 million.

$80 mil?!!! I hope Munch is proud.

^ Ended up selling for $119.9 mil.

'Orange' painting sells for $86.9 mil.

NEW YORK — A sunset-colored painting by Mark Rothko became the world's most expensive contemporary art work when it fetched $86.9 million in a stunningly lucrative auction at Christie's in New York.
    "Orange, red, yellow" was as hot on the Christie's block as the colors on the bold, large-scale abstract canvas. A thicket of hands shot up to catch the attention of auctioneer Christopher Burge, bids leaping in increments of a million, sometimes two million dollars.
    The hammer finally fell at a hair under $87 million, including final commission, breaking both the previous record for Rothko's most expensive work of $72.84 million and the record for any contemporary work of art at auction, Christie's said.
    Collectors were in full cry all evening, knocking 14 artists' records down and repeatedly meeting or exceeding pre-sale high estimates.
    Total takings of $388.5 million were the highest ever for a contemporary art auction, a record last set in 2007, Christie's said.
    Among the other stars was the spectacular "FC1" by Yves Klein, which depicts the X-ray-like outlines of two nude models captured on canvas through a mixture of paint, water and flames.
    It had been estimated to fetch up to $40 million. Although the hammer came down at the relatively flat $36.5 million, including commission, that smashed Klein's previous $23.6 million record.
    One of the most breathless bidding wars was for Gerhard Richter's "Abstraktes Bild," which sold for $21.8 million, easily beyond the $18 million high estimate, and also a record for the artist.
    Burge was at his best, cajoling, humoring and squeezing the super-wealthy players for every spare million.
    "Absolutely not," he scoffed, when one bidder suggested a modest increase of just $50,000.
    "No more messing around now," he chided playfully, as the price headed north from $16 million.
    One of the most original, if fragile, works of the night, a huge candle in the form of an over-sized wax sculpture of art collector Peter Brant, kicked off the night with a winning bid of $1.3 million, beating the pre-sale high estimate.
    The sculpture is designed to be lit and allowed to melt. But the buyer needn't worry: included in the price is the right to order more of the giant candles from the same mold.
    The art world has certainly recovered from its own meltdown during the 2008 financial markets crash.
    Last week, the only privately owned version of Edvard Munch's "The Scream" -- one of the most recognizable paintings in history -- set an overall world record for any work sold at public auction when it fetched $119.9 million at Sotheby's in New York.
    Sotheby's holds its rival contemporary auction on Wednesday.
    Highlights there will include Pop Art master Roy Lichtenstein's "Sleeping Girl," estimated at $30 million to $40 million.
    Copyright 2012 AFP. All rights reserved. More

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I'm going this weekend. Did you see the Klimt exhibit too?

WTF is OKC???
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.