Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Art thread

Default Re: Art thread

here's a pic from my latest opening. it was called Knock Your Socks Off and was at Headquarters Galarie in Montreal. HQ is a gallery that has been representing me for a little over a year now. they are awesome people who run a very cool boutique/gallery right in downtown Montreal. this was their 1 year anniversary exhibition.

they have several pieces of mine in their rotating collection, and they hung an older piece and 1 new one that i sent up:

Jared, 'splain yoself, mofucka. So people sit in the chair, listen through the phone, watch the TV, do/don't drink the wine, and fuck the tentacle?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Jared, 'splain yoself, mofucka. So people sit in the chair, listen through the phone, watch the TV, do/don't drink the wine, and fuck the tentacle?
    ok. so the footage displayed on the TV is footage I shot on a couple of occasions. First, my parents are very religious and asked me to go to church with them for this anniversary thing (my grandfather used to be the pastor). I obliged, mainly because they respect me and never ask.

Anyways, one of the first things that happened in the service was they brought up the first pastor of the church. The guy was completely out of it. He had these huge headphones on because he couldn't hear, he was in a wheelchair, and it was clear he didn't fully understand what was expected of him. My grandmother had asked me to record the service, so I had this cheap camcorder the whole time. I'm recording this guy and all of the sudden he just breaks down crying. I was so overwhelmed (being in so close with him as a result of the camera) that I shut the camera off. This was a pretty naive thing to do, as if in some way I expected the stopping of the camera to alleviate what I was witnessing. So I turned the camera back on and recorded the remainder of his "speech." He rambled on for almost 30 minutes, telling the same story several times. Finally, the pastor of the church cuts him off, and the old man responds by telling him that he doesn't know how he can help because he can't see or walk and is pretty much useless. It was really fucked up, and the pastor did his best to recover by asking the man to just give a blessing and say a prayer. This registers with the old man, and he just kicks into autopilot and says a prayer with his eyes open (it looks like he's staring directly into the camera). The whole thing is really fucked up, because the men on either side of him have these bizarrely malicious grins and are holding his mic for him etc.

So I cut up this footage into some of the most powerful moments. I then mixed it with this footage of my baby sister (5) burying a rat. A while back we had this rat terrorizing my house. My roommates were going nuts, so we finally set some poison out. I came upon the rat as it was dying after eating the poison and tried to put it out of it's misery. But I had a really hard time doing it, it's a lot harder than you'd think. It was quite an ordeal for me, and one of my roommates suggested we bury it. I asked my sister if she'd be willing, seeing as she recently burried her pet hamster and was now a pro. I video recorded it as a kind of memorium to the thing. Inevitably I edited the footage together with the footage of the old man so that it looked like my sister was burying the rat alive.

You sit down in a chair which appears to be in a living room and listen to the audio through the telephone. Meanwhile, to the left of you there is a small sculpture I made that drips ink into a cristal glass being measured by an old post office weight scale.

Fair enough. It ain't that hard to kill a rat, by the way--I used to have to do it when Mom would catch one in a glue trap. The answer is called: smacking the everloving fuck out of them with a big hammer.

Of course, there was one occasion where the creature that got trapped was not a full-grown rat or mouse (we'd get shifts of either or both from time to time--lived near woodsy area) but a little tiny, cute-ass baby mouse, who just had its foot caught in the trap. He was struggling to pull loose but couldn't, and frankly it was almost heartbreaking. I'd found a gnawed-off foot left in these traps underneath my kitchen sink before, and I was now faced with a dilemma: reach in there and try to set him free or smack him with the hammer when he wasn't anywhere near dying, unlike all the ones I'd hammered because their necks or skulls had been broke.

Well, I had a rare moment of sympathy for the little guy, somehow identifying with his plight as this was back during my high school days, and reached in to free him. Little cocksucker bit me!

He did not get anything as kind as a hammer. Anyways, someone go find all those probing annoying art critic questions and ask Jared all of them. =)

Fair enough. It ain't that hard to kill a rat, by the way--I used to have to do it when Mom would catch one in a glue trap. The answer is called: smacking the everloving fuck out of them with a big hammer.

Of course, there was one occasion where the creature that got trapped was not a full-grown rat or mouse (we'd get shifts of either or both from time to time--lived near woodsy area) but a little tiny, cute-ass baby mouse, who just had its foot caught in the trap. He was struggling to pull loose but couldn't, and frankly it was almost heartbreaking. I'd found a gnawed-off foot left in these traps underneath my kitchen sink before, and I was now faced with a dilemma: reach in there and try to set him free or smack him with the hammer when he wasn't anywhere near dying, unlike all the ones I'd hammered because their necks or skulls had been broke.

Well, I had a rare moment of sympathy for the little guy, somehow identifying with his plight as this was back during my high school days, and reached in to free him. Little cocksucker bit me!

He did not get anything as kind as a hammer. Anyways, someone go find all those probing annoying art critic questions and ask Jared all of them. =)
    i tried to kill it with a rock. but I couldn't hit it hard enough to kill it. i don't know, i'm a wuss when it comes to stuff like that. I don't like hurting things.

There's no time to be hurt if you're a man about it. =)

I'm going to go find all your pretentious art critic questions and bombard you with them now. Sounds like an interesting exhibit, though.

In other news, there's this series of art exhibits related to famous cult movies that's going on in LA. http://www.nineteeneightyeight.com/home.html

I heard about it because Kevin Smith is involved and I'm his myspace friend, but I happened to notice that this is also the art house that hosted an exhibit including a work from a buddy of mine from home. The theme of the exhibit was 8-Bit Videogames. This is his contribution, which sold for 3 thousand.
    [fuck, hold on, I gotta figure out how to link this image better]
    Alright, there's no way for me to copy the image properly, perhaps by design so that you can't just copy each artist's work. Scroll about 75 percent of the way down the page on this link, his name is Matt Dangler, the painting is titled Mario Envy. http://www.nineteeneightyeight.com/8bit.html

I believe this kid is going to go far, he does some absolutely amazing oil works, which you can check out here (I think this link should work): http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...1996&albumId=0
    Last edited by thelastgreatman; 06-19-2007 at 12:27 PM.

There's no time to be hurt if you're a man about it. =)

I'm going to go find all your pretentious art critic questions and bombard you with them now. Sounds like an interesting exhibit, though.
    I tend to suck at being a "man" in these kind of situations. Bring on the questions. I'm always open to criticism and questioning of what I do.

I don't know where the fuck it was, and I don't want to look through all of your posts to find it. Whoever it was you were giving the third degree should find them and do so immediately, though. Wiggums, was it you? GET HIM.

Also, Jared, what's your business? You sound like you're involved in movies sometimes.

the chair is too close to the tv. no bueno.
    '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '12 '13 '13

I don't know where the fuck it was, and I don't want to look through all of your posts to find it. Whoever it was you were giving the third degree should find them and do so immediately, though. Wiggums, was it you? GET HIM.

Also, Jared, what's your business? You sound like you're involved in movies sometimes.
    I do believe it was kristen.

i'm a student in digital art and experimental media at the UW in Seattle. I've worked on quite a few film sets because an area I have focused my study on is film. I've done a lot of camera-op work and a shit ton of grip/gaff work. I've also DPed a couple short projects.

As far as "work" goes, I do software development part time to pay the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by kimery08 View Post
    the chair is too close to the tv. no bueno.
    part of what I wanted to re-create was the closed distance that the camera created between me and this man, so I did my best to recreate that in a phsyical manner for the installation. It doesn't function in quite the same way, but I think it created the physical response I wanted. In some of the less pleasant moments, people physical pushed back on the chair, in an effort to create more distance between them and the picture. I also tried to accomplish this by making the audio in the telephone loud, so that there are moments when the viewer had to pull the telephone away from their face, simulating a kind of artificial separation.

very nice.
    '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '12 '13 '13

Whoever it was you were giving the third degree should find them and do so immediately, though. Wiggums, was it you? GET HIM.
    shrug. i don't have anything i want to ask.

also - gallery 1988. i will show there within the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    shrug. i don't have anything i want to ask.

also - gallery 1988. i will show there within the next year.
    LA or SF? congrats! Let me know when. I'll be in an out of SF in the fall and spring.

that was just me setting a goal for myself. it hasn't actually happened yet. i keep sending them my work and they keep ignoring me.

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    that was just me setting a goal for myself. it hasn't actually happened yet. i keep sending them my work and they keep ignoring me.
    in that case, good luck!

This is my cat, Sylvester

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Magritte?

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

This is a fun poster I'm doing for myself for next years Coachella!

If it doesn't show up you can go here to see the color mock up bigger than my avatar!

http://www.artsig.com/go/works/view?id=54927

Smile Re: Art thread

Quote Originally Posted by artisticcreator View Post
    This is a fun poster I'm doing for myself for next years Coachella!

If it doesn't show up you can go here to see the color mock up bigger than my avatar!

http://www.artsig.com/go/works/view?id=54927
    Thats really good I can see you put a lot of thought into that I especially like the wind farm aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    ah doan lahk spahdurs.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

ISM Magazine is a quarterly contemporary arts magazine. they are currently hosting a contest to design their Autumn '07 cover. the contest will be judged by a handful of people, including RZA and Kat Von D. here is my entry:

That's cool, Kristen. I love that tape turning into branches on wood. I'm not well versed at art-speak. Did you already enter it? Because one thing I thought of when I looked at it was that it reminded me kindof more of winter than autumn. What if you had like one little leaf falling from one of the tape branches? Is that totally cheesy?

yeah, i did already enter it. it was due at midnight, and i took like every last second to be neurotic over it.

i smell what you're cookin', though.

oh and they are actually roots, if that makes a difference.

edit: and thank you
    Last edited by ewiggy; 07-21-2007 at 08:22 PM.

ohhhhhh

Here are a few childhood/school artwork I stumbled across the last couple of days (I don't remember doing any of these back in the day)...

Colorful landscape painting:

my abc book (with some selected entries

and here is a story I wrote when I was little, entitled "Jeff Turkey" (cover shot, and transcript):

My turkeys name is Jeff Turkey. He's plays on a football team called Turkboys. I number is number 1 he won the gold medal (that's what I'm reading on the page, hard to read the writing actually, but it's my best translation and no idea what I meant by that sentence...). His house is a car. He sleeps on the front seat. I made him because I like football. His favorite bobby is collecting pogs. I dressed him like this because it's the uniform on the football team. His teammates are Bob Goose, Johnny Duck, Timmy Bird, Robert Seagul, and Michael Bee. He likes football. His coaches name is Dom Mosquito. He's a nice pet. His best friend is Robert Seagul. He loves everybody who likes him. He does not play football with a helmet. His helmet is black and white (contradicting I know...). He is a good pet. He is 16 years old. He goes to highschool.

My turkey dreams about winning the Turkey Bowl and MVP. And live in a rich house instead of a car. And have children and be drafted to the turkey NFL. And play on the Farm Ranch Gobble Gobbles. And have millions of pogs and slammers and own a new car and be number 50 since that is his favorite number. He wishes he could the star of his team. And always get the gold medals. He wishes about having lots of money, always making touchdowns. And two point conversions and would be famous and popular and filthy rich. Have no problems at all and would go to the junior turkey bowl and have lots of rewards. But thats all just a dream.

Once there was a turkey named Michael Turkey. He was walking along when he saw an apple. Little did he know it was poison. He ate the whole thing. He walked by the king and said gobble gobble. Jeff Turkey couldn't believe it he couldn't speak. After a decade, he still couldn't speak. "I have to do something about it", tomorrow was the parade everybody would laugh at him. He couldn't even say gobble gobble. So he went to the tree and ate a good apple could talk and think. And a had a good parade. Nobody laughed at him.

How do you dress a turkey? You put a shirt on him then a sweatshirt then a jacket, then some sweats. Then you need some socks, then you put the shoes on. Then get some gloves on, then you put some gel or hairspray and cologne on his hair and put a hat on him and some sunglasses. You are all set.

Hi, I'm a reporter from channel 5 news.
    Reporter: What's your favorite football play?
    Turkey: Well my favorite football play would be a hand off.
    Reporter: Are you married?
    Turkey: No I'm not.
    Reporter: We have to go now, bye now.
    Turkey: Call me, I'll come back.

wow. obsidian. how old were you?

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    My turkey dreams about winning the Turkey Bowl and MVP. And live in a rich house instead of a car. And have children and be drafted to the turkey NFL. And play on the Farm Ranch Gobble Gobbles. And have millions of pogs and slammers and own a new car and be number 50 since that is his favorite number.
    ahahhahahahhhaaaaaaaa.

Reporter: We have to go now, bye now.
    Turkey: Call me, I'll come back.
    ahahah! dude. seriously, how old were you? that shit is comic gold.